• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces National Smash 3DS Tournament

Zorc Of Norway

Smash Cadet
  • Characters:
    • To ensure a level playing field, players may only select a character from the default roster.
    • Any characters unlocked after the game has booted for the first time are not allowed at these Local Tournaments.

Uhm. Okay....

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
*reads comments* OH GOD FORBID NINTENDO HAS A TOURNAMENT OF THEIR OWN THE SAME DAY AS OUR COMMUNITY'S THE BIG HOUSE 4. SHAME ON THEM FOR CAUSING A "DIVIDE" ALREADY WITH OUR COMMUNITY EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NO PROOF OF THAT HAPPENING!

Seriously you guys? They finally start giving our community the time of day starting with the Nintendo Invitational Tournament back from this year's E3 and stupid comments like "lolz stupid Nintendo! Your tournament is going to suck eggs! BH4 will be much better to watch!" is how some of you repay them for their efforts?

Those of you bashing on this tournament in the comments section do realize that this is the same company who could easily get Project M shut down in a heartbeat if they wanted to right? Whether they actually check out this website of ours or not, I for one would not be going around pissing on Nintendo's genuine efforts at nurturing the competitive scene for smash 4 at every turn.

Some of you talk about not making comments that are toxic and can cause drama, but I have to ask those of you who have been dissing on Nintendo's upcoming tournament for Smash 3DS. Are your asinine comments any better? For better or for worse, Nintendo is actively trying to appeal to the competitive side of smash.

You don't have to care for their methods of going about this, but if they keep hosting tournaments like this, it will only help 4's competitive scene in the long run as its safe to say some of these new players might get good enough at either version of the game to consider competing in one of our own tournaments be it local, online, or something big like Apex/MLG/EVO. That is all we can ask for in the end. New and enthusiastic smashers to help grow the competitive scene alongside experienced smashers who can help these newcomers quickly learn the ropes of competitive smash bros. :)

Last edited:

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
Yeah, uh... so there's no GameStop at that address anymore. There certainly used to be - it was my local store - but it closed down a couple of years ago and its space was just recently taken over by a massage center.

So hopefully they realize something's up and give us an actual location, haha.
..... O_o... wat?
haha, that sucks. I hope they do fix it, then XD

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
This sounds sooooo cool! They are actually using custom moves! I hope I can attend! I might use marth, ike, sheik, or lucina

shapular

Smash Ace
Looks like The Big House 4 won't be the biggest Smash tournament on October 4th. :troll:

It's not like Melee players not being there will matter. They weren't going to beat the Brawl players anyway. :troll:

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Why can't we get more European tournaments/events...

I mean we got the third official SSB4 tourney at EGX this weekend but apparently nobody cares because it's not in America or has been announced as formally/clearly :p

We have GameStops in Europe too y'know?

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
San Jose?? Ugh why so far?? Oh well Good luck to all those who manage to get a tourney slot

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
This is incorrect. TBH4 date was set in April, while the Smash 3DS date was set in June.

I personally don't care for these GameStop tourneys much, and I highly doubt anyone traveling to TBH4 would even consider changing their plans for this anyway, so it's a non-issue.
Ah, my bad. I didn't think it was set until June. Either way, the official tourney simply falls on the weekend of release, and I don't think Nintendo purposely planned their game's release around TBH4.

Senario

Smash Ace
*reads comments* OH GOD FORBID NINTENDO HAS A TOURNAMENT OF THEIR OWN THE SAME DAY AS OUR COMMUNITY'S THE BIG HOUSE 4. SHAME ON THEM FOR CAUSING A "DIVIDE" ALREADY WITH OUR COMMUNITY EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NO PROOF OF THAT HAPPENING!

Seriously you guys? They finally start giving our community the time of day starting with the Nintendo Invitational Tournament back from this year's E3 and stupid comments like "lolz stupid Nintendo! Your tournament is going to suck eggs! BH4 will be much better to watch!" is how some of you repay them for their efforts?

Those of you bashing on this tournament in the comments section do realize that this is the same company who could easily get Project M shut down in a heartbeat if they wanted to right? Whether they actually check out this website of ours or not, I for one would not be going around pissing on Nintendo's genuine efforts at nurturing the competitive scene for smash 4 at every turn.

Some of you talk about not making comments that are toxic and can cause drama, but I have to ask those of you who have been dissing on Nintendo's upcoming tournament for Smash 3DS. Are your asinine comments any better? For better or for worse, Nintendo is actively trying to appeal to the competitive side of smash.

You don't have to care for their methods of going about this, but if they keep hosting tournaments like this, it will only help 4's competitive scene in the long run as its safe to say some of these new players might get good enough at either version of the game to consider competing in one of our own tournaments be it local, online, or something big like Apex/MLG/EVO. That is all we can ask for in the end. New and enthusiastic smashers to help grow the competitive scene alongside experienced smashers who can help these newcomers quickly learn the ropes of competitive smash bros. :)
Lol, it seems to be general tournament organizing practice to not schedule two big tournaments in the same day. That said, as a melee player I really don't care about this Nintendo tournament due to Big house and the ruleset. It isn't my problem, that is Nintendo's problem for placing it on the same day when Big House came first. And that is 100% fine, I don't have to watch it if there is another event I can watch.

Smash 4 players can do whatever they want. But I don't understand how you can't realize that this is a slight misstep. I organize small tournaments and I never plan my events the same day as another event because competing between them only serves to divide the available players.

That said, if they are trying to appeal to the competitive community this tournament's ruleset is a joke. This is just a PR stunt for the casual fanbase of smash, which is fine because they need to sell their game. Just means I don't feel like I have to watch it when there is The Big House.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
YESSSSS. Finally a tourney near me. Look out imma win the one in MA!

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Wow, an opportunity to embarrass myself at a local tourney! :D

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be at KTAR X and I am much more excited to see videos from Big House 4 than this. It doesn't really seem like Nintendo is making an effort to accommodate the competitive crowd as much as it is trying to replace them.

Senario

Smash Ace
I'm gonna be at KTAR X and I am much more excited to see videos from Big House 4 than this. It doesn't really seem like Nintendo is making an effort to accommodate the competitive crowd as much as it is trying to replace them.
Yeah, I had hoped their involvement with the competitive community was more of appealing to them and saying like 'Hey, we know you like this game a lot. Here is something you should like, we added all this cool stuff from before that would appeal to you'.

I shall wait and see on the "replacing" aspect. But if they clearly show they are doing that going forward I'm not going to support them. I love Nintendo but I cant justify supporting them if they try to kill the smash competitive scene by replacing it with a different scene if they are doing that. Again, still up in the air.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Lol, it seems to be general tournament organizing practice to not schedule two big tournaments in the same day. That said, as a melee player I really don't care about this Nintendo tournament due to Big house and the ruleset. It isn't my problem, that is Nintendo's problem for placing it on the same day when Big House came first. And that is 100% fine, I don't have to watch it if there is another event I can watch.

Smash 4 players can do whatever they want. But I don't understand how you can't realize that this is a slight misstep. I organize small tournaments and I never plan my events the same day as another event because competing between them only serves to divide the available players.

That said, if they are trying to appeal to the competitive community this tournament's ruleset is a joke. This is just a PR stunt for the casual fanbase of smash, which is fine because they need to sell their game. Just means I don't feel like I have to watch it when there is The Big House.
so do you GENUINELY believe Nintendo planned the tournament the same day? Because I highly doubt that. I am starting to get into the competitive community BECAUSE of Nintendo's recent focus on it. And how is this a PR stunt to appeal to the CASUAL community? I was a casual for quite some time (And technically am until I get my hands on the full 3ds version) and I know that casuals don't give a damn about tournaments. Its fine if you don't like it and all, but don't go calling something it ain't.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
*sigh*. The fans are never satisfied. Nintendo tries to appeal to them by having tournaments and they don't like it because "hur durr casual rules this is trash".

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
im in college upstate ny, so i just informed by friends back in brooklyn and there all going to compete in my memory. because i would have been at nintendo world hours before it even opened lol.

GET HYPE :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

19 Mins away from a GS for me.

You weebs who got the Otaku version of Smash 4 ten years before me better not wreck me, pls.

Senario

Smash Ace
so do you GENUINELY believe Nintendo planned the tournament the same day? Because I highly doubt that. I am starting to get into the competitive community BECAUSE of Nintendo's recent focus on it. And how is this a PR stunt to appeal to the CASUAL community? I was a casual for quite some time (And technically am until I get my hands on the full 3ds version) and I know that casuals don't give a damn about tournaments. Its fine if you don't like it and all, but don't go calling something it ain't.
Not at all, they probably just messed up somewhere and didn't see that the Big House was on the same weekend as their release date for smash 4. Or at least I hope that is just the extent of it and it wasn't intentional.

It is to appeal to the casual community because of the ruleset. They want to showcase the entire game to the public and a tournament is something that can do that for a lot of the casual base and some of the people who want to play the game competitively(though not all because they know items are kinda silly). They did the same thing in Brawl too all those years ago if I remember.

Do you really think a tournament with this ruleset would appeal to current competitive players? Both Brawl and Melee banned items. That said, casuals do care about tournaments if it fits their playstyle which this one is doing. Much like the invitational they start to care a lot more when the game is played their way rather than the accepted competitive way. Possibly due to misunderstanding between the communities or not understanding why the competitive rules work the way they do.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Nintendo, Quit it. The competitive matches I have seen for this game are rather slow paced, and I look fast in ssb4 compared to them. If this game was a mixture of everything good from all 3 games, plus some new stuff, then it would be epic.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Umm, how are they going to regulate who enters if you just have to be there by 9am? There's 1 event in GA, w/ 5 states surrounding us, and GA's the closest. In my mind, I see thousands of people hoping for the 64 spots, so I'm worried :/

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Nintendo, Quit it. The competitive matches I have seen for this game are rather slow paced, and I look fast in ssb4 compared to them. If this game was a mixture of everything good from all 3 games, plus some new stuff, then it would be epic.
I dunno 'bout you, but a one on one match me and my friend had in the demo was pretty action-y, and that's not even considering the 2 minute time limit.

Top Bottom