• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So, what's Lucy's super? I believe it's going to involve all the Loud siblings working together to summon the vengeful spirit of Great Grandma Harriet to curse the other fighters and send them flying.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Looking at the character select screen, it seems like there's enough empty space to accommodate 8 characters for DLC.

Of course, they could just pull a Mortal Kombat and have a dedicated drop down DLC slot, or it's just the 4 characters and that's it, but it least adds to the possibility of 4 more after that.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Roster cut spoiler Honestly I'm still so mad about CatDog and Oblina being cut. This could have been easily the ultimate Nick's crossover but they had to cut 2 whole franchise, both are fairly popular with CatDog especially being considered one of their most iconic shows. Sure there's some smaller stuff like Rocket power, Tuff puppy, Mighty B etc. that would still be missing, but the basis of Nicktoons would have been there and it's the first time in years that we're getting this close to get a really complete Nicktoons crossover with Angry beavers finally reappearing after 20 years and El Tigre after 15 years or so, but they had to cut 2 of their most iconic shows.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Roster cut spoiler Honestly I'm still so mad about CatDog and Oblina being cut. This could have been easily the ultimate Nick's crossover but they had to cut 2 whole franchise, both are fairly popular with CatDog especially being considered one of their most iconic shows. Sure there's some smaller stuff like Rocket power, Tuff puppy, Mighty B etc. that would still be missing, but the basis of Nicktoons would have been there and it's the first time in years that we're getting this close to get a really complete Nicktoons crossover with Angry beavers finally reappearing after 20 years and El Tigre after 15 years or so, but they had to cut 2 of their most iconic shows.
Not to mention all the other iconic characters that got the axe. This roster is even worse than KR3's roster, and that was a low bar.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester

With the amount of leaks and spoiling we've keep getting, I'm starting to feel like I don't want to get NASB 2, sorry if I won't be able to fight you...

Just need some time to think.
No I understand dude. Trust me, I'm feeling the same way tbh. I myself can't understand what lead to these decisions.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I don't believe for a second that they'll never ever ever bring back the cut characters.

Maybe not for this DLC pack, but possibly the next one will bring back CatDog and Oblina. Maybe my hunch is right and Hugh will be brought in as an update. Who knows?

If there's an NASB3, well surely now that they got everything in the new engine and with better movesets they won't feel the need to completely overhaul all the characters, which means we can get some of the 11 back.

The dooming in this thread is insufferable sometimes. I get you guys are upset but this is just next level nuclear pessimism.

Also quite frankly, this roster doesn't even touch how bad KR3's was, come on now. We still got plenty of cool characters to play as

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
GameMills: Adds Hugh due to being a massive request due to memetic status
Also GameMills: Proceeds to cut Hugh from the next game despite legendary meme status

So much for giving the fans what they want...
GameMill: Is not in charge of everything that goes on because they don't develop games

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If there's an NASB3, well surely now that they got everything in the new engine and with better movesets they won't feel the need to completely overhaul all the characters, which means we can get some of the 11 back.
Knowing these decisions they've made. NASB3 will have all the cut veterans from the first game but only half of the newcomers in this game, with the other half cut (Among those probably being Daggett + Norbert) along with newcomers for the third game.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It was wanting the game to have ANY newcomers, period.
They could have had both. It was their decision to essentially make an entire new game from scratch instead of reusing assets from the first game. If they had just reused NASB1 assets we could have had all the missing veterans back and a sizable amount of newcomers as well.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They could have had both. It was their decision to essentially make an entire new game from scratch instead of reusing assets from the first game. If they had just reused NASB1 assets we could have had all the missing veterans back and a sizable amount of newcomers as well.
And the complaints would instead be that Aang and Danny still look janky. I already told you this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thing is GameMills has a more limited budget compared to the monster that is Nintendo. Can't even compare, its understandable why there'd be cuts, its just I'm baffled on the choices of the characters they chose to cut.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Thing is GameMills has a more limited budget compared to the monster that is Nintendo. Can't even compare, its understandable why there'd be cuts, its just I'm baffled on the choices of the characters they chose to cut.
Well it's not like cutting the other half would be any better. You'd be potentially cutting Danny, Jenny, Nigel, Rocko, Garfield...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well it's not like cutting the other half would be any better. You'd be potentially cutting Danny, Jenny, Nigel, Rocko, Garfield...
But Lincoln? That was like cutting Link from Smash being the protag of Nick's second biggest cashcow regardless of his unpopularity or not yet the keep his sister?

Also the fact they went back and fourth about cutting Danny but keeping Ember in? Ember over Danny aka the protag?

Nigel and Hugh don't count because of their memetic statuses, hence why they got into these games. Even then Jimmy got into this game.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But Lincoln? That was like cutting Link from Smash being the protag of Nick's second biggest cashcow regardless of his unpopularity or not yet the keep his sister?
Uh, he isn't. TLH doesn't have a single main protagonist. It's an ensemble cast series will 11 main protagonists. Technically as long as there is a Loud sibling in the game TLH does have its main protagonist repped.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't believe for a second that they'll never ever ever bring back the cut characters.

Maybe not for this DLC pack, but possibly the next one will bring back CatDog and Oblina. Maybe my hunch is right and Hugh will be brought in as an update. Who knows?

The dooming in this thread is insufferable sometimes. I get you guys are upset but this is just next level nuclear pessimism.

Also quite frankly, this roster doesn't even touch how bad KR3's was, come on now. We still got plenty of cool characters to play as
I'm not sure if NASB3 will ever exist, but if it does, I think that the roster will just be NASB2's roster + some newcomers.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Also the fact they went back and fourth about cutting Danny but keeping Ember in? Ember over Danny aka the protag?

Nigel and Hugh don't count because of their memetic statuses, hence why they got into these games. Even then Jimmy got into this game.
The fact there's two TLH stages but only one TLH character tells me they didn't cut Lincoln because he was unpopular, but because they ran out of time/money. For all we know, they were already working on him before it became apparent that cuts had to happen.
You guys keep acting like they did these things out of malicous intent or stupidity. It's just a consequence of the game's time and budget. It's a miracle the damn thing looks as good and polished as it does.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
There are some pretty ridiculous cuts here, but Linc is not one of them. Nobody played as him, he's from an ensemble cast show, another character from the same show got better reception, and he was made fun of non-stop - of course they'd cut him. I'm not even sure if the whole "Lincoln is Nick's secondary mascot" thing holds up that well - maybe to Nick the TV channel he is, but not to Nick the hyper-merchandising powerhouse. This wikia category is a page and a half long, and most of it is either books (which are about as much merchandise as the TV episodes themselves are) or duplicate articles for localized versions of those same books.

Even if nobody said "people hate this kid, let's kick him out" and Linc just got caught up in a lack of dev time, he made a lot of sense to put lower on the priority totem. I think the logic NASB is going by is "what cool characters do we have the rights to use?" and not necessarily "which characters best represent the Nickelodeon legacy, and which shows should get higher treatment?" This game isn't Smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mostly time. Even if Ludosity and Fair Play were working with a higher budget publisher than GameMill (who has no S and only published games) they would only have time for 25 characters.
In fact I'd argue that from what I've seen, if the publisher was a better one than GameMill (who again is only a publisher and does not develop games) there'd only be two benefits:

1. The player 4 costumes wouldn't cost extra
2. It'd be more likely they licensed new shows for the DLC pass

...which are definitely benefits, but still. oh and better marketing

LimeTH

Smash Lord
There are some pretty ridiculous cuts here, but Linc is not one of them. Nobody played as him, he's from an ensemble cast show, another character from the same show got better reception, and he was made fun of non-stop - of course they'd cut him. I'm not even sure if the whole "Lincoln is Nick's secondary mascot" thing holds up that well - maybe to Nick the TV channel he is, but not to Nick the hyper-merchandising powerhouse. This wikia category is a page and a half long, and most of it is either books (which are about as much merchandise as the TV episodes themselves are) or duplicate articles for localized versions of those same books.

Even if he wasn't cut specifically in response to his unpopularity, he made a lot of sense to put lower on the priority totem. I think the logic NASB is going by is "what cool characters do we have the rights to use?" and not necessarily "which characters best represent the Nickelodeon legacy, and which shows should get higher treatment?"
I'd like to think "nobody played as him" is disproven by the fact he's the single most controversial cut in this thread seeing we argue about him every goddamn day, but I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of the Lincoln complainers doesn't actually play any of these games and is just in here to start fights. You know the one.

Mostly time. Even if Ludosity and Fair Play were working with a higher budget publisher than GameMill (who has no S and only published games) they would only have time for 25 characters.
I hope the inevitable NASB3 is allowed a bit more time in the oven. Again, it's crazy how good the game looks considering everything, but some more time would have been nothing but a good thing.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, my stance on this:

It's okay to be disappointed at the amount of cuts. I'm gonna be giving the game a chance because I like how it looks and plays, and I really like a good chunk of the base game newcomers. However, I won't deny that losing characters like Lincoln, Powdered Toast Man, CatDog, Oblina, and Hugh is a pretty big bitter pill to swallow.

However, acting like the cut veterans are never coming back, even if there's more DLC beyond the initial four or even an entire third game, feels rather silly and unnecessarily pessimistic.

I vote on waiting and seeing what happens in the future before just jumping the gun like that.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
NASB1: Stage Theory is real except we only have 3 TMNT stages and Shredder's "home stage" is from a Nickelodeon Game Show.
NASB2: Stage Theory is also real except that Hey Arnold has 2 playable characters but only 1 stage while Loud House has only 1 playable character but has 2 stages.
There's also one additional stage that doesn't belong to any character but it's just a generic training mode stage.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
least doomer day on the nasb thread

I'm not going to be all "tsk tsk" for merely being upset characters are cut (I'm mourning the loss of Hugh and PTM, personally); That's a completely fair argument for people who mained/liked those characters in 1. That said, some of the stuff I've been seeing today is ridiculous. Comparing NASB2's roster to NKR3's doesn't make a whole lot of sense given how relatively less work you have to do to add a character to a kart racer compared to a fighting game (and calling NK3's roster bad is something I really don't get). Going into doomer mode regarding NASB3, which hasn't even been confirmed yet, is some wild pessimism.

Listen, I get it. Nobody likes having their main cut. I'm scratching my head at some of the cuts here too. Regardless, some of y'all need to get off the doomer bus. No solid, proven leak has indicated the cut characters are never coming back. GameMill probably had little to do with it. Assuming that NASB3 will just cut more characters is a very shaky assumption at absolute best.

All this means is that some characters from NASB1 will not be playable at launch. Again, that sucks for their mains, and I will blame nobody for being disappointed, but let's try to keep cool heads here. The kind of mentality I've seen here helps nobody.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
In fact I'd argue that from what I've seen, if the publisher was a better one than GameMill (who again is only a publisher and does not develop games) there'd only be two benefits:

1. The player 4 costumes wouldn't cost extra
Idk man, Cosmic Shake did this DLC costume crap too and that wasn't even a GameMill game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'd like to think "nobody played as him" is disproven by the fact he's the single most controversial cut in this thread seeing we argue about him every goddamn day, but I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of the Lincoln complainers doesn't actually play any of these games and is just in here to start fights. You know the one.
Maybe a better wording is needed - nobody openly defended, or talked about wanting to play, Lincoln in NASB 1. While I personally would've cut him myself, I do understand the logic behind finding his cut bad (specifically in relation to a lack of feedback from kids who can't use social media), I think it's moreso weird that people find his cut to be "inexplicable" or "the most baffling" since the logic - valid or not - is very obvious, and that there's been a random groundswell of support for Lincoln after a whole game's lifespan of unchallenged mockery.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, like, I'll be honest...it's not that Lincoln getting talked about the most out of the cut characters is because the thread as a whole were big fans of him...it's more so just the Same Two People constantly shoehorning his cut into every conversation in the thread.

In the grand scheme of things I actually agree with WWW in that Lincoln is probably the most reasonable of the cut veterans to have been cut, or at the very least in the top three since I know some folks would consider Shredder and PTM lower priority.

There are absolutely some cuts that bum me out, especially since it seems like Hugh was cut fairly late into development.

None of the cuts that bum me out are Lincoln.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Maybe a better wording is needed - nobody openly defended, or talked about wanting to play, Lincoln in NASB 1. While I personally would've cut him myself, I do understand the logic behind finding his cut bad (specifically in relation to a lack of feedback from kids who can't use social media), I think it's moreso weird that people find his cut to be "inexplicable" or "the most baffling" since the logic - valid or not - is very obvious, and that there's been a random groundswell of support for Lincoln after a whole game's lifespan of mockery.
Yeah, like, I'll be honest...it's not that Lincoln getting talked about the most out of the cut characters is because the thread as a whole were big fans of him...it's more so just the Same Two People constantly shoehorning his cut into every conversation in the thread.

In the grand scheme of things I actually agree with WWW in that Lincoln is probably the most reasonable of the cut veterans to have been cut, or at the very least in the top three since I know some folks would consider Shredder and PTM lower priority.

There are absolutely some cuts that bum me out, especially since it seems like Hugh was cut fairly late into development.

None of the cuts that bum me out are Lincoln.
It’s definitely like, two or three people who actually genuinely like Lincoln and one guy who uses him as a means to start fights and annoy everyone.

And what’s insane is Linc was most likely next in line along with Hugh before the cuts happened. There’s two TLH stages. He wasn’t even the least likely to come back, even if he didn’t.

I think his cut sucks just as much as every other character’s but it’s not like TLH got excised entirely like CatDog and ARM did.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly if I had to rank how much the cuts bum me out...

Helga=Sandy > CatDog=Hugh=Toph > Oblina > Slime Time=Traffic Jam=Duck Duck Pie > Leonardo=Michelangelo > Powdered Toast Man > Shredder > The rest of the cut stages > Teeter Totter Gulch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lincoln > Space Madness

Top Bottom