• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
God it really sucks that I can't even be excited for this anymore even after an amazing showcase for my favorite character to play from the first game. That's why I haven't been here since the Cuts went public lmao.

Even with the incredible gameplay updates (Slime Cancels my beloved) and some absolutely amazing newcomer choices (Squidward and Jimmy were literally my two most wanted characters, and Gertie, even if she's now unfairly treated as a scapegoat by people who weren't even born when Hey Arnold was airing, is an amazing choice), the cuts are just that bad for me (namely Sandy, Helga, Toph, Hugh, and CatDog...I like the turtles but I'm not even at casual fan level lol) that I went from "Day One Purchase" to "I'll wait for when it's on sale for less than $20, even if it ends up killing the game."

I have no ill will toward the dev team. They're great. It's very clear that choices had to be made due to tight deadlines given by Nick and Game Mill's top brass...it's just unfortunate that those choices ultimately make me want to skip out on the game.

Over all, it's a "Honestly now I just wish we got an additional season of DLC for the first game instead"/10, which is a shame.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's essentially gonna break the already small NASB community into two smaller communities, as some people might not think that what we ended up gaining is worth what we've lost.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For me, fully taking in all the cut drama, I'm not as crushed as I thought. Considering all the characters leaked to be cut that I personally care, the potential loss of Helga is the only bummer for me, but I'm still hyped and ready to get this on Day 1. 😁

This is gonna be a very fun game.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Maybe a hot take but I prefer a majority of the newcomers to the presumed cut characters (I know they said there’s no “slots” I’m just making general comparisons)

Squidward > Sandy
Plankton > Shredder
Azula > Toph
El Tigre > PTM
Jimmy > Hugh
Gerald > Lincoln

I’m ok with Raph and Donnie, Beavers and Ember over Leo and Mikey, CatDog and Oblina I think, enough to not be bothered by it

Really the only choice I’m not certain on is losing Helga and gaining Gertie but I’ll probably be won over once we actually see her in action

In conclusion um this isn’t Smash and almost everything was rebuilt, 25 characters in 2ish years for such a small team is super impressive and some of the less favored veteran returns were no doubt chosen out of simplicity to transfer across games (April and Lucy come to mind)

I’m not saying you can only be happy or anything but dismissing the whole game because some characters didn’t come back is ridiculous

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I might as well save my money for Kart Racers 4. At least I'll get a better roster out of that game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi. Been a while. I came back for the nick brawl 2 talk. I actually didn't know there'd been these leaks..

It's sad if we'd lose some of the veterans, and I don't like to see toph go if that's the case, but I'm super curious about Azula and I think it's an interesting choice.

Super weird choice with the hey arnold series.
Angry Beavers was a personal fave cartoon, so I'm excited for them.
The new turtles seem very good, and fun.
Sad not seeing Sandy.

Since it's just leaks, I think it's fair to keep open that some of the veterans weren't actually cut or could come along eventually.
My main being Korra, I didn't personally lose anything vital, and I'm very interested to see how she's changed, the movesets look great so far, though Nigel's is bizarre xD. I look forward to seeing more.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I’m not saying you can only be happy or anything but dismissing the whole game because some characters didn’t come back is ridiculous
I'd like this post twice if I could. This whole "No [character], no buy" mentality is completely foreign to me and I'll never understand it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It really is way too early to say how well it will do xD. So far the gameplay looks great and really that's the most important.
It's normal that some people are not glad about losing characters, but there's ways to express frustrations without taking down the whole game ;p.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I think at this point the only reason the devs haven’t really announced anything is because they’re afraid to tbh. If they’re all cut they should just tell us now I get waiting when we didn’t know cuts but with Helga,PTM,and Hugh seeming cut it’s not looking good for the rest. If anyone is not cut they should do a showcase of one of them if they want to keep speculation going since everything else was leaked. This whole thing is just a mess

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I tried to warn you guys - 11 cuts, it could happen, prepare for them even if you don't think it's gonna happen - at the very least, I'm glad the cuts were confirmed early so we can get the depressing slog of "but where's CatDog? but where's CatDog? but where's CatDog?" out of the way before launch day and can have fun with the game when it comes out.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Most fighting games live and die by their roster choices. It was part of the reason why MvCI proved to be a flop, and NASB2 looks to be the second coming of that.
Not really. It's pretty much just crossovers people get like that about. If anything, I'd say in the modern era, the quality of a fighting game's online service has the biggest effect on its longevity since it's how the vast majority of the install base will play the game.
Then again, apparently people are still playing Ultimate, so maybe I'm wrong there...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like rivals and they were all original characters (before the 2 crossovers), and the roster wasn't that big.
But it also didn't really make it big, so iconic series/characters do seem to matter for popularity at least..

If that's what's important then that there's Jimmy and Plankton and Squidward in, all more iconic, I think it outweighs those lost. Only talking in terms of popularity here.

I don't think Nick Brawl 1 was big enough that the cuts will matter in the big picture, not more than what's gained.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Just woke up from a nap, I had a dream where a nearby bakery was doing NASB character cakes based on the first game's roster, and was releasing them in waves!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The notion that NASB can only be good if it has all of the "Nick essentials" is kinda silly to me - partially because some characters just don't lend well to movesets, but also because almost all the essential cartoons are represented already - with FOP and CatDog being the only particular exceptions - even if it may not be the "essential characters".

Even from a "NASB should just be Smash" perspective it doesn't make sense - It took 3 games to add Wario, Charizard, and King Dedede; 4 games to add Little Mac and Duck Hunt; 5 rosters across 6 games to add Daisy and any form of non-Pokemon mook representative; Inkling was saved for the next game after immediately becoming Nintendo's biggest IP since Animal Crossing; and it's still without the likes of Tingle, Impa, Waluigi, Excitebiker, god-knows-how-many Gen 1 and/or legendary Pokemon of an equal iconic status to Pikachu, a Rhythm Heaven character, a Nintendogs character, Dr. Kawashima, K.K. Slider, Tom Nook, and... god, I could go on. Don't get me started on "honourary Nintendo characters" (as much as I hate that term) like Conker and Tetromino.

Hell, even "completing groups" isn't really Smash's forte - Slippy and Peppy, Toad, Raichu, the first Mew, Toon versions of Zelda and Ganondorf, Ninten, Bandana Dee, even Daisy got left out when Rosalina joined.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
I might as well save my money for Kart Racers 4. At least I'll get a better roster out of that game.
I wouldn't be too sure about that, considering the third game already cut iconic characters like Tommy for literally no reason and added SpongeBob spinoff garbage in their place. Lincoln could very easily end up getting cut in NKR 4, but at least you'll get to play as characters like Baby Sandy, the narwhal lady, and Patrick's grandpa!
Also Jojo Siwa will still somehow be there even though I'm pretty sure she doesn't even work with Nickelodeon anymore. (And she still won't be voiced by anyone.)

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I admit that I'm on pretty decent standing when it comes to the cuts too. I'll miss Helga and CatDog, and I'm incredibly confused at Hugh getting cut so soon, but I still have my two mains (ZIM and Garfield) and Daggett is happening in some capacity so I'm sitting pretty.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
partially because some characters just don't lend well to movesets
Yeah well what's Gerald gonna have as a super, if it's not random crap like April's Spirit Bomb?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Yeah well what's Gerald gonna have as a super, if it's not random crap like April's Spirit Bomb?

Here's three ideas just from reading the wiki.
-One of his urban legends (of which there are 8 to choose from, not including ones that turned out to be true) comes to life and chases down the opponents
-A huge slam dunk of his opponent into a hoop, witnessed a crowd of cheering playground kids
-Stepping on his opponent's head to steal and dunk a basketball, slamming them on the way down from the hoop - you could even give every character a funny "reaching for the hoop with the basketball" animation for this one.

I don't know why you'd find the character who plays basketball to be the most hard pick to imagine a moveset for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't know why you'd find the character who plays basketball to be the most hard pick to imagine a moveset for
Nah I knew he'd inherit the sports stuff from Helga, I just...haven't been thinking about him beyond that because Gertie's got everyone's attention.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The notion that NASB can only be good if it has all of the "Nick essentials" is kinda silly to me - partially because some characters just don't lend well to movesets, but also because almost all the essential shows are represented already - with FOP and CatDog being the only particular exceptions - even if it may not be the "essential characters".

Even from a "NASB should just be Smash" perspective it doesn't make sense - It took 3 games to add Wario, Charizard, and King Dedede; 4 games to add Little Mac and Duck Hunt; 5 rosters across 6 games to add Daisy and any form of non-Pokemon mook representative; Inkling was saved for the next game after immediately becoming Nintendo's biggest IP since Animal Crossing; and it's still without the likes of Tingle, Impa, Waluigi, Excitebiker, god-knows-how-many Gen 1 and/or legendary Pokemon of an equal iconic status to Pikachu, a Rhythm Heaven character, a Nintendogs character, Dr. Kawashima, K.K. Slider, Tom Nook, and... god, I could go on.

Hell, even "completing groups" isn't really Smash's forte - Slippy and Peppy, Toad, Raichu, the first Mew, Toon versions of Zelda and Ganondorf, Ninten, Bandana Dee, even Daisy got left out when Rosalina joined.
But at the same time, outside of Mewtwo we didn't lose anyone major between Melee and Brawl, and beloved fan favorites and Nintendo icons weren't getting snubbed for characters nobody was asking for. The Melee to Brawl transition felt actually additive.

Lincoln could very easily end up getting cut in NKR 4
Genunely wouldn't shock me, given they signed off on no Tommy and possibly Linc being cut from this. The poor kid already suffers enough, being divisive in his own fandom, formerly abused in his own show, and relentlessly mocked by outsiders. He finally gets something good, only to have it taken away because he isn't as "marketable" has his sisters, in this case an exaggerated theme park version of Lucy Loud.

I was looking forward to seeing his moveset rework, given that he gained so many new interests and ideas between NASB1's development and now (hell, he's now a performance magician, that ALONE could make for a super cool moveset!), but looks like we'll have to wait for an Everyone is Here game instead. At least CatDog or Helga has demand to be brought back.

I really do not get the choice on Gerald. He's not a BAD pick, but I don't see why we needed to lose anyone to accommodate him, unless someone on the staff REALLY likes him or something. (Though I do like the Urban Legends super Wario suggested. It fits him nicely as the gang's storyteller, and those kind of episodes were Hey Arnold staples)

that I went from "Day One Purchase" to "I'll wait for when it's on sale for less than $20, even if it ends up killing the game."
I feel exactly the same way! I still wanna get it at some point, since the devs clearly put a lot of love in and did an amazing job with the stages! But 11 cuts is just not worth a $50+ price tag with all of the bells and whistles.

Honestly, if time was short I would've just stuck to less newcomers (Squid/Jimmy/Don/Raph/Vlad) and reworked the veterans instead, then did more newcomers as DLC. I was one of the ones gunning for more single-player content, but they shouldn'tve gone for a relatively ambitious story mode if they were short on resources. Hopefully Nick gives them more time after the game releases to take their time on DLC characters, reintroduce cut veterans, etc. Honestly, patching in the missing veterans later on (ala some of the missing Pokemon in Sword and Shield; and announcing it ahead of time) would soften the blow, and may get people on the fence back on the game's side again. Maybe its just wishful thinking. At least they won't have to rework everything for a third game, right?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Why are y'all still doing this ****. We have three characters with genuine supporting evidence towards being axed, and y'all are still screaming eleven cuts. Chill out. Yes, it could happen, but the second literally any of them pops up in a trailer or showcase or whatever that kills this theory. And no, I don't believe Blackimar or whatever his name is knows the full roster let alone DLC, or this pizza theory nonsense.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, considering the third game already cut iconic characters like Tommy for literally no reason and added SpongeBob spinoff garbage in their place. Lincoln could very easily end up getting cut in NKR 4, but at least you'll get to play as characters like Baby Sandy, the narwhal lady, and Patrick's grandpa!
Also Jojo Siwa will still somehow be there even though I'm pretty sure she doesn't even work with Nickelodeon anymore. (And she still won't be voiced by anyone.)
Idk bout Jojo lmao, she really stuck her foot in her mouth lately about something very serious so they might wanna axe her (good riddance)

The notion that NASB can only be good if it has all of the "Nick essentials" is kinda silly to me - partially because some characters just don't lend well to movesets, but also because almost all the essential cartoons are represented already - with FOP and CatDog being the only particular exceptions - even if it may not be the "essential characters".

Even from a "NASB should just be Smash" perspective it doesn't make sense - It took 3 games to add Wario, Charizard, and King Dedede; 4 games to add Little Mac and Duck Hunt; 5 rosters across 6 games to add Daisy and any form of non-Pokemon mook representative; Inkling was saved for the next game after immediately becoming Nintendo's biggest IP since Animal Crossing; and it's still without the likes of Tingle, Impa, Waluigi, Excitebiker, god-knows-how-many Gen 1 and/or legendary Pokemon of an equal iconic status to Pikachu, a Rhythm Heaven character, a Nintendogs character, Dr. Kawashima, K.K. Slider, Tom Nook, and... god, I could go on. Don't get me started on "honourary Nintendo characters" (as much as I hate that term) like Conker and Tetromino.

I would hesitate to call Dr. Kawashima, Little Mac, Tingle, any character from Rhythm Heaven, and Excitebiker "Nintendo essentials." This argument doesnt carry any weight when the devs literally said the equivalent of adding in Zelda as a series by adding Tingle (Hugh over Jimmy) last game, and that was an extremely controversial decision.

Whether you like it or not, when people think of Nickelodeon characters, as with Nintendo ones, the shows' faces are going to be first and foremost, so yes, to all of us outside your literal world ARE confused and annoyed when the protagonist of their favorite show gets passed over for a meme or gag, even if that feeling can fade over time. Normal people don't want just representation. Do you know how many people were pissed when Mega Man wasn't in MvC but Zero was? Or when Nariko and Raiden were included in PSASBR over other more iconic characters to the brand, or Snake respectively?

You need to start considering how other people feel about it, because very few people have the same nonchalant attitude about the roster that you do.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
we didn't lose anyone major between Melee and Brawl
Just because you don't like how Gen 2 got a clone that hurts itself doesn't mean Pichu was equivalent to adding Hugh before Jimmy. In fact, most "better gen 2 reps" would be, unless it was, uh...Umbreon.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I know I plan to enjoy the game regardless.

I think Lincoln will make it in though.
Well, yeah. They already showcased his home stage, and it strangely has not been seen outside of the first trailer, implying that they're saving it for something special to come.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So which character are most people upset to be possibly cut ?
Sandy, Lincoln, the Turtles, and Helga. But all of the cut veterans deserve to be here, and it makes me sad to see them gone.

I think Lincoln will make it in though.
I sure hope so! He's got by far the most to lose!

Well, yeah. They already showcased his home stage, and it strangely has not been seen outside of the first trailer, implying that they're saving it for something special to come.
Lucy's showcase is really gonna make or break things.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sandy, Lincoln, the Turtles, and Helga. But all of the cut veterans deserve to be here, and it makes me sad to see them gone.
Sandy might be the biggest? for me anyway I think it is.

I expected the 4 turtles to be in, ngl.

I liked Helga's simple style in the game, so wouldn't mind her being in, but I don't think she's popular enough to say it's as big a deal if she's not in.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
And no, I don't believe Blackimar or whatever his name is knows the full roster let alone DLC, or this pizza theory nonsense.
If they were keeping "secret characters" hidden from playtesters, all that'd leave is a set of characters who are ludicrously broken, both balance and stability-wise. There is no benefit from a development perspective.

It is not deconfirmed.
Of course it's not deconfirmed, that's not a word, stage theory is as deconfirmed as it is wigglewopdopped. In all seriousness, yeah, a playtester would know this sorta stuff. Playtesters, by definition, work on the game behind the scenes, and have to check any unlockable/secret content to make sure that that very content isn't broken, just like the rest of the content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom