• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFreak's 3.02 Build - Officially retired

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I love your build and everything about it, and I also think that the music you put on is great. The only issue, though, is that whenever I try to replace a song on fd, the song won't be replaced. The song in question is Awakening Chaos from Blazblue, which I got from the vault, and I have used it in the past on my own builds and it worked. The song automatically comes in X05.btrsm, I dragged and dropped it in sound like normal, and it failed to work. I then changed it to W25 or fd(melee), yet it still failed. Do you have any idea why this is happening by any chance?
That's really weird. You're putting it in sound->strm, correct? I'd give the Song Manager a try.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Hey man I gave a try at your build and let me tell you, it is amazing!
But I felt the gameplay very strange all the time. It was like all the characters were a bit heavier than normal. I'm not talking about lag, but about the weight and speed itselves of the characters.
Do you know what could be causing this?

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
But I felt the gameplay very strange all the time. It was like all the characters were a bit heavier than normal. I'm not talking about lag, but about the weight and speed itselves of the characters.

Diraga

Smash Cadet
I just want to say that this build is fantastic. I know this is just a personal build, but a couple of suggestions to further improve the build would be to add the Smash 3 textures and revert the Online Practice Stage back to the one included in the vanilla Project M 3.02, both of which are changes I have made myself, although I'm having problems with freezing when I try to enter the SSS if I modify the stage icons.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say that this build is fantastic. I know this is just a personal build, but a couple of suggestions to further improve the build would be to add the Smash 3 textures and revert the Online Practice Stage back to the one included in the vanilla Project M 3.02, both of which are changes I have made myself, although I'm having problems with freezing when I try to enter the SSS if I modify the stage icons.
The common5 is already pushed to the limit in terms of file size. Make sure when you change the icons, the PrevBase (the big one) is 114x114 or smaller. Thanks for the suggestions. How do the Smash 3 models look with this build? I was looking at them and they look awesome, but I wasn't sure if they would look out of place. I wasn't a fan of the original practice stage, but I don't play competitively so I won't be changing it back.

That's really weird. I haven't noticed any difference myself. Are you comparing to stock PM, or to vBrawl?

REVENAUT1313

Smash Cadet
NNID
REVENAUT1313
I've not noticed any difference in terms of physics when compared to PM3.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Where are the individual stage download links? :)

At least have a pack for them to be downloaded separately eh?
He says in the original post that there are so many added over such a long period of time that he doesn't remember where he got them all, unfortunately. I personally just downloaded it, gutted it, took what I wanted, and left the rest for further resources.

210stuna

Smash Lord
He says in the original post that there are so many added over such a long period of time that he doesn't remember where he got them all, unfortunately. I personally just downloaded it, gutted it, took what I wanted, and left the rest for further resources.
The stages he has that I want are from the PM:CE or Pwnz0rz Pack. I'm just going to go to that instead since I don't ever want to mess with an entire build.

kourama

Smash Rookie
First I want to say great build. I like a lot of the changes you made and actually having been using your build and adding a ton of costumes with the proper csp/portraits that I created or found online (have added 30+). Great choices on the costumes and I like most of the stages. In regards to the stages, the 64 version of Peach's Castle has an issue with the camera but I haven't found any issues yet with the stages. Once I spend more time on it, I will let you know if I see anything.

As far as the costumes go everything is working well, with the exception of changes I'm trying to make to 3 characters which I detailed below. Although I did have an issue with Yoshi's color models being off starting with the purple one, but I found a way to work around that.

Regarding the 3 characters I am having trouble with the first would be for Mario. For whatever reason I can't replace his green model from his regular costume. Even after copying the proper fitmario file and pasting over the model in brawlbox it reverts to the green costume when tested.

I am having the same issue with all of Wario's costumes too. I can change all the portraits but models stay the same. Almost seems like it is hard coded.

Last person I'm having issues with is Bowser's final costume which turns out to be the same one that has been broken for you. No matter what I use to overwrite it it always reverts to the original green costume/colors. Is there a way to make that slot the "default" version allowing the original one to be useable for changes?

Either way I think your build is great and it seems like you put a lot of time into it. Great job!

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a great build, the only problem I have is I'm assuming a problem with the stage expansion thing and not actually the fault of this build. I'm assuming that the expanded stages are somehow tied to existing stages as far as striking goes. What I mean is: if I set all stages except the bottom row of page 1 (minus the expanded one on the far right) to be OFF for random, I'm still suck with Mushroom Kingdom and Brinstar Depths being ON for random. Brinstar is obviously a problem being on random if I only want the bottom row of page 1, which are like neutral stages. Brinstar seems to be tied to Dreamland, which is a shame.

Anyway, the point is this is a good build. The costumes are great and I like a lot of the stages you've chosen. Good mix of competitive and fun.

How would I go about keeping everything else in this build but removing the stage expansion code. I assume it's a line in the gct?

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
That's really weird. I haven't noticed any difference myself. Are you comparing to stock PM, or to vBrawl?
I was comparing it to Project M.
But that happened only during the first time I tried it, I made a few changes after that in stages and icons and now it feels great.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
The common5 is already pushed to the limit in terms of file size. Make sure when you change the icons, the PrevBase (the big one) is 114x114 or smaller.
Man I think you can use better looking Preview Icons if you remove the 'Series logo' (Or whatever it is called) from the SSS

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the 3 characters I am having trouble with the first would be for Mario. For whatever reason I can't replace his green model from his regular costume. Even after copying the proper fitmario file and pasting over the model in brawlbox it reverts to the green costume when tested.

I am having the same issue with all of Wario's costumes too. I can change all the portraits but models stay the same. Almost seems like it is hard coded.

Last person I'm having issues with is Bowser's final costume which turns out to be the same one that has been broken for you. No matter what I use to overwrite it it always reverts to the original green costume/colors. Is there a way to make that slot the "default" version allowing the original one to be useable for changes?
Thanks, glad you like it so far. I didn't do much with Mario, but the one costume change I put in worked without issue. Make sure you have both FitMarioXX.pac and .pcs (if you only have one, use the Costume Manager tool, right click the custom one in the list of costumes, and choose Copy To Other). I have no idea about Wario, unfortunately. I didn't touch him at all in this. Bowser's final costume is bugged, yes (I changed the CSP to indicate that for this update). I'm gonna mess with some more costume expansion tools to see if I can get that one working without ****ing up everything else. In the meantime, you should just be able to swap the CSPs and other icons for slots 00 and 10. Just remember that 00 is used for Green in doubles fights.

This is a great build, the only problem I have is I'm assuming a problem with the stage expansion thing and not actually the fault of this build. I'm assuming that the expanded stages are somehow tied to existing stages as far as striking goes. What I mean is: if I set all stages except the bottom row of page 1 (minus the expanded one on the far right) to be OFF for random, I'm still suck with Mushroom Kingdom and Brinstar Depths being ON for random. Brinstar is obviously a problem being on random if I only want the bottom row of page 1, which are like neutral stages. Brinstar seems to be tied to Dreamland, which is a shame.

Anyway, the point is this is a good build. The costumes are great and I like a lot of the stages you've chosen. Good mix of competitive and fun.

How would I go about keeping everything else in this build but removing the stage expansion code. I assume it's a line in the gct?
Thanks! Yeah, stage striking and random select are both unfortunately broken with the stage expansion. I haven't tried this, but it could just work. Download the CEP template, take the GCT from that, and run Mewtwo2000's CBliss tool on the GCT. Then try using that GCT in this build. The newest CEP code removes the code that breaks Random apparently (I believe striking is still broken). I don't know my way around GCT code though, so unfortunately I'm not sure where the stage expansion code is. You could always take a stock Project M GCT and run it through CBliss as well, but keep in mind you'll have a lot of extra music and stage files taking up space.

Once the PMBR enables the Full/WiFi safe toggle from the launcher, I'll probably use that to make two versions of this build in one package, a basic one with just the costume expansions, and one with the stages as well.

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
What I actually liked about this build is the casualness of some stages, as soon as I finish my build I'll upload it
I'm not really interested in competitive stuff, I'm actually looking for stages with gimmicks because I just play for fun

As I stated I'm not a competitive player, so I want to ask...why isn't Final Destination competitive?
The collisions on Brawl FD more often then not trap you under the stage while you try to recover. With Melee FD around, allowing fair recovery, I'm not sure why you would prefer Brawl...

Diraga

Smash Cadet
How do the Smash 3 models look with this build? I was looking at them and they look awesome, but I wasn't sure if they would look out of place.
They look great no matter what. I really enjoy using them over the original textures.

I wasn't a fan of the original practice stage, but I don't play competitively so I won't be changing it back.
I often play casually with this stage because the size makes it really fun. It takes up to 200% sometimes before you can kill someone, so the battles get pretty epic.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I was playing today with this build and had no problems during a lot of matches.
But after a few matches it froze with a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep right after I pressed start on the results screen

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I was playing today with this build and had no problems during a lot of matches.
But after a few matches it froze with a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep right after I pressed start on the results screen
Would you happen to remember the costumes used in that match?

Is there a hackless version for this? @ NFreak NFreak
The same package works for both hackless and homebrew.

They look great no matter what. I really enjoy using them over the original textures.
Nice. I might give them a try.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Sorry I don't remember, I just remember I was Mega Mewtwo Y and 3 random characters
I always play with 3 random cpus
But I played some matches before with Mega Mewtwo Y so I don't think that's the problem

And it happened again a few minutes ago, this time with Fierce Deity Link
As soon as I chose him on the CSS the game froze, but the music kept playing. I had to unplug the console.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I don't remember, I just remember I was Mega Mewtwo Y and 3 random characters
I always play with 3 random cpus
But I played some matches before with Mega Mewtwo Y so I don't think that's the problem

And it happened again a few minutes ago, this time with Fierce Deity Link
As soon as I chose him on the CSS the game froze, but the music kept playing. I had to unplug the console.
That sounds like it might just be a rare crash caused by all the additional code. I haven't seen any crashing issues myself so I'm wondering if it's just a costume or two that causes issues. If you see it again, let me know exactly who was in the game and I'll try to duplicate the issue. I went through testing each costume out for a minute or so of gameplay before pushing the update, but there could be a few problematic ones mixed in.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Looks like I'll have another small update this weekend. I found this awesome build which has some of the costumes and stuff I've been looking for (OoT Zelda, shiny Ivysaur) as well as updated voices for some characters, so I cherry picked a couple things from it and put them into mine. I'm also looking into updating custom stages with the 3.0 camera, since a lot of them aren't updated just yet.

Sage009

Smash Rookie

The same package works for both hackless and homebrew.

Nice. I might give them a try.
I can't get it to work via hackless. Only homebrew works on my Wii

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for using my Scouting Legion Roy in your build! You might wanna redownload it though, as I recently fixed it using the latest build of BrawlBox.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35204
Will do, thanks!

I can't get it to work via hackless. Only homebrew works on my Wii
Odd. I just tried hackless and it works fine for me. Make sure you copied everything to the SD correctly and try flipping the lock switch on the card.

kourama

Smash Rookie
Thanks, glad you like it so far. I didn't do much with Mario, but the one costume change I put in worked without issue. Make sure you have both FitMarioXX.pac and .pcs (if you only have one, use the Costume Manager tool, right click the custom one in the list of costumes, and choose Copy To Other). I have no idea about Wario, unfortunately. I didn't touch him at all in this. Bowser's final costume is bugged, yes (I changed the CSP to indicate that for this update). I'm gonna mess with some more costume expansion tools to see if I can get that one working without ****ing up everything else. In the meantime, you should just be able to swap the CSPs and other icons for slots 00 and 10. Just remember that 00 is used for Green in doubles fights.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I have not been able to change the Green Mario. Not sure what is causing the issue, but I am probably missing something. On the subject of Mario, would you happen to know how to revert the Dr. Mario effects on for the other Dr. Mario color swaps? I am looking to overwrite some of the colors with some other Mario costumes but don't want the pill/electricity effects.

As far as Bowser goes, yeah the final costume is bugged and just have to deal with it for now.

For Kirby, do the stages not load when you have a different Kirby costume and another character that causes Kirby to transform (Mewtwo, Jigglypuff). For whatever reason I can't load any stages unless I use Kirby's original costume/palette. Originally I though it was just an issue with the yarn model you used so I replaced them with new models, but they all work with every character.

Other than that I am sure you are aware of the stages with slowdown but things have been going great with the costumes I have added, all with their own CSP/BP. Its awesome to use Zelda/Sheik with the toon, fierce deity, midna costumes that change back and for without issues. In addition to Samus/Zero Suit with all the proper costumes.

The only issue I am still having is with Wario which I can hopefully sort out soon.

Thanks for the build and the help!

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I have not been able to change the Green Mario. Not sure what is causing the issue, but I am probably missing something. On the subject of Mario, would you happen to know how to revert the Dr. Mario effects on for the other Dr. Mario color swaps? I am looking to overwrite some of the colors with some other Mario costumes but don't want the pill/electricity effects.

As far as Bowser goes, yeah the final costume is bugged and just have to deal with it for now.

For Kirby, do the stages not load when you have a different Kirby costume and another character that causes Kirby to transform (Mewtwo, Jigglypuff). For whatever reason I can't load any stages unless I use Kirby's original costume/palette. Originally I though it was just an issue with the yarn model you used so I replaced them with new models, but they all work with every character.

Other than that I am sure you are aware of the stages with slowdown but things have been going great with the costumes I have added, all with their own CSP/BP. Its awesome to use Zelda/Sheik with the toon, fierce deity, midna costumes that change back and for without issues. In addition to Samus/Zero Suit with all the proper costumes.

The only issue I am still having is with Wario which I can hopefully sort out soon.

Thanks for the build and the help!
Thanks for the feedback! I'm really not sure about Mario, that's really unusual. I didn't even try working with Dr. Mario because of the pills, so I'm not sure what you'd need to do to work with that. Same goes for Wario, I didn't really work with any of his costumes so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

I think that is an issue with the yarn Kirby model. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it updates at all. In the meantime, I'll see if I can put in a placeholder fix.

kourama

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback! I'm really not sure about Mario, that's really unusual. I didn't even try working with Dr. Mario because of the pills, so I'm not sure what you'd need to do to work with that. Same goes for Wario, I didn't really work with any of his costumes so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

I think that is an issue with the yarn Kirby model. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it updates at all. In the meantime, I'll see if I can put in a placeholder fix.
Its not the yarn model. Its any model that is not the regular kirby one. I imported the ball, fighter, and toon costumes for kirby and I run into the same issue with all of them. My guess is that you need the proper model for each costume with the transformation. Unless there are models that changed those transformations to hats instead, I think the issue will continue.

For Dr. Mario I imported the Mafia Mario over one of them and didn't mind keeping the pills/electric. Only issue was the cape as the Mafia version would take out Fludd. I have mostly fixed the issue but sometimes the cape ends up on Mario's foot instead of getting put away but it disappears rather quickly.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
So...no more freezes since the other day, now everything seems to work fine
But there's something I don't fully understand.
Let me tell you the story, I was making my own build since like 3 weeks ago, I already had the Ready Expansion Pack working fine, but no matter how I tried I just couldn't get cBliss to work with it.
Tired of trying, I decided to make my new build based on yours, because you could manage to make both expansions to work together.
So I downloaded yours, I tested it by playing a few matches on the stages I've never played on before and it was amazing.
But then I started building mine based on yours, so I replaced all the custom stages, SSS icons, music, song tags and some costumes with the ones I had on my original build.
At first I was kinda surprised by the fact that you somehow rearranged all of the stages on the SSS. But I tested the build again and it was fine.
The only 'problem' (not exactly one) is that the custom stage 01 plays the results screen song, even with the song tag at the beggining of the match displaying 'Results'
As my custom stage 01 is a Yoshi one, I had a Yoshi melody in that spot, but for some reason it plays the results screen theme, I want to change this but I'm pretty sure that if I replace the results song in that stage it will also replace the song on the results screen.
Is there a way to change the song in the stage without changing the results screen song?

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Its not the yarn model. Its any model that is not the regular kirby one. I imported the ball, fighter, and toon costumes for kirby and I run into the same issue with all of them. My guess is that you need the proper model for each costume with the transformation. Unless there are models that changed those transformations to hats instead, I think the issue will continue..
Now that's really unusual. There actually are models for those in there too. I'll see what I can do.
So...no more freezes since the other day, now everything seems to work fine
But there's something I don't fully understand.
Let me tell you the story, I was making my own build since like 3 weeks ago, I already had the Ready Expansion Pack working fine, but no matter how I tried I just couldn't get cBliss to work with it.
Tired of trying, I decided to make my new build based on yours, because you could manage to make both expansions to work together.
So I downloaded yours, I tested it by playing a few matches on the stages I've never played on before and it was amazing.
But then I started building mine based on yours, so I replaced all the custom stages, SSS icons, music, song tags and some costumes with the ones I had on my original build.
At first I was kinda surprised by the fact that you somehow rearranged all of the stages on the SSS. But I tested the build again and it was fine.
The only 'problem' (not exactly one) is that the custom stage 01 plays the results screen song, even with the song tag at the beggining of the match displaying 'Results'
As my custom stage 01 is a Yoshi one, I had a Yoshi melody in that spot, but for some reason it plays the results screen theme, I want to change this but I'm pretty sure that if I replace the results song in that stage it will also replace the song on the results screen.
Is there a way to change the song in the stage without changing the results screen song?
There is an SSS editor tool I used to move everything around but that shouldn't have any effect on the music. Are you sure you replaced the right music track? See here: http://www.lakora.us/brawl/cep/6.02m/Stage List/

EDIT: So now this is really unusual. I know custom Kirby models have worked in testing, but now going back to test them, they're crashing on stage select every time regardless of who the opponents are. Even weirder, they work fine in Training mode. I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Last edited:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Yes I'm sure. I actually dragged and dropped all the music in my old folder into the new one and all of the stages got the right music over them.
Except for that one, which shares its music with the results screen for some weird reason

Sage009

Smash Rookie
Will do, thanks!

Odd. I just tried hackless and it works fine for me. Make sure you copied everything to the SD correctly and try flipping the lock switch on the card.
You were right. I just had to flip the lock switch and it worked!

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Yes I'm sure. I actually dragged and dropped all the music in my old folder into the new one and all of the stages got the right music over them.
Except for that one, which shares its music with the results screen for some weird reason
That's really strange. I think it might be because of an issue with the CEP; the guy who made the pack accidentally made one of the stages use the results screen music slot. Try overwriting that and see if that works for you. It's overwritten on mine, but it's a minor issue until the code is updated.

You were right. I just had to flip the lock switch and it worked!
Glad to hear!

Also, I just figured out the Kirby bug. I'll upload a hotfix along with a small patch in a few minutes.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
The first small patch is now available! Check the first post for info.

For anyone looking for more information regarding the Kirby bug, it's because the FitKirbyMewtwo0X files were missing for the expanded slots. That's pretty much all it was.

I also just went through and updated all stages the 3.0 camera (most already were). That's not included in this patch but it will be in the next one, most likely by the end of this weekend.

Last edited:

kourama

Smash Rookie
The first small patch is now available! Check the first post for info.

For anyone looking for more information regarding the Kirby bug, it's because the FitKirbyMewtwo0X files were missing for the expanded slots. That's pretty much all it was.

I also just went through and updated all stages the 3.0 camera (most already were). That's not included in this patch but it will be in the next one, most likely by the end of this weekend.
I just did a small test on the your patch and Yarn Kirby is working. He no longer looks 100% like yarn when he absorbs jigglypuff/mewtwo but there is no more crashing. By the way, it seems like you have yet to fix the models not matching the battle portraits for Yoshi. Black portrait has the team model with no color, gray portrait has the black model, purple portrait has the gray model, and orange portrait has the purple model. I had fixed this on my end but while trying to figure out how to make changes to Wario I screwed up somewhere and kept getting freezes so I have to start my changes from scratch.

Once I fix it again I can probably upload the correct files if you like.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I just did a small test on the your patch and Yarn Kirby is working. He no longer looks 100% like yarn when he absorbs jigglypuff/mewtwo but there is no more crashing. By the way, it seems like you have yet to fix the models not matching the battle portraits for Yoshi. Black portrait has the team model with no color, gray portrait has the black model, purple portrait has the gray model, and orange portrait has the purple model. I had fixed this on my end but while trying to figure out how to make changes to Wario I screwed up somewhere and kept getting freezes so I have to start my changes from scratch.

Once I fix it again I can probably upload the correct files if you like.
Oh, didn't even notice that with Yoshi. Thanks for the heads up. I'd appreciate that if you get them done before I can get around to it, thanks!

kourama

Smash Rookie
Oh, didn't even notice that with Yoshi. Thanks for the heads up. I'd appreciate that if you get them done before I can get around to it, thanks!
I can update that for you probably towards the end of the week. If you want though, brawl vault has a new upload for yoshi with his nostalgia colors. May be better to use the following link especially since the author says it was designed for P:M 3.0.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35915

Top Bottom