• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I desperately want a remake of Chrono Trigger. But I want it made by the same people that made the original.

I don't want Nomura anywhere near it so he can ruin it with timeghosts or some ****.

I also just want a modern remake of that game's soundtrack soooo bad. I FINALLY got one for SMRPG(except, annoying, I didn't get a full remix of the end credits theme...). Now Chrono Trigger is, like, the last one of those iconic soundtracks that hasn't been fully redone yet.
I am not one to be like "yarrgh these games should not be remade!!" Like, I generally like FF7R, even with the changes made. I liked Rebuild of Evangelion despite the changes that were made. I know I am being heavily biased and hypocritical but, to borrow your line...

I don't want anyone anywhere near it so he can ruin it some ****.

Chrono Trigger isn't only a game to me but it was an experience that is tied to so many things in my life. The game is one game I will revisit consistently and still get the same emotions and feelings. To me, this version of CT is timeless and what I most identify with. While a more modern rendition of the CT soundtrack would be awesome, the original soundtrack will always be the best no matter what. Again, I know I am being biased here but I highly doubt I would play a remake save for curiosity.

And before people say "Oh, you are one of thooooose people", seriously, this is the only game that evokes such feelings and dedication for me. Like, I would be beyond excited to see another game I am deeply connected to get remakes such as the Mega Man X series, Tales of Symphonia, and so on.

As for Chrono is Smash, that is a huge yes for me if not just for the music. Then I remember supporting Sora just for the chance of getting Utada in Smash and then, well, we know what happened. Granted, it would be easier to get the CT music in Smash but that left me a bit butthurt. Still, a time-traveling stage, Frog as an Assist, Lucca, and Magus Mii Costumes. Chrono doing the Prehistoric Rock dance as a taunt. It would be spectacular.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I really want to see another Joker and Terry situation happen in the next smash.

A few third parties that arent exactly in the general wheelhouse of the audience who play smash so those guys are really confused but when they get to see what the series is about they are like "Oh wait this is cool actually"

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I really want to see another Joker and Terry situation happen in the next smash.

A few third parties that arent exactly in the general wheelhouse of the audience who play smash so those guys are really confused but when they get to see what the series is about they are like "Oh wait this is cool actually"
This is how Estelle Bright can win

dream1ng

Smash Lord

I would like to point out that Joker wasn't highly expected because of being very non-Nintendo in appearances, but he was still quite well known. Persona 5 was a very successful game for a JRPG.

I think Terry is the main outlier. Not that he was y'know, obscure, but more so than the rest of the third-parties.

Just cuz, like, if people conflate genuinely much more niche characters with Joker, it's a bit of a false equivalency. Persona 5 has sold more than most pre-BotW Zelda games.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I would like to point out that Joker wasn't highly expected because of being very non-Nintendo in appearances, but he was still quite well known. Persona 5 was a very successful game for a JRPG.

I think Terry is the main outlier. Not that he was y'know, obscure, but more so than the rest of the third-parties.

Just cuz, like, if people conflate genuinely much more niche characters with Joker, it's a bit of a false equivalency. Persona 5 has sold more than most pre-BotW Zelda games.
I didnt say they had to be obscure, i simply meant characters from games that general Nintendo fans are unlikely to have played, so seeing them in smash will kinda broaden their horizons to games they might not have looked at otherwise.

I guess Metal Gear could also fall into this category, it definitely stuck out like a sore thumb back in brawl.

I guess this is just me showing my personal interests regarding smash, like Kiryu or an srw rep.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I didnt say they had to be obscure, i simply meant characters from games that general Nintendo fans are unlikely to have played, so seeing them in smash will kinda broaden their horizons to games they might not have looked at otherwise.

I guess Metal Gear could also fall into this category, it definitely stuck out like a sore thumb back in brawl.

I guess this is just me showing my personal interests regarding smash, like Kiryu or an srw rep.
I know, but it could really apply to everything that isn't Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Banjo and Minecraft. Maybe Kingdom Hearts. Aka the very Nintendo-oriented ones, and/or the ones that are so overwhelmingly ubiquitous even people who've no idea about games know their deal (Pac-Man and Minecraft).

And that includes Street Fighter and Final Fantasy. It may seem strange but I remember last time I could tell that a number of people knew those characters/series but didn't have much actual hands-on experience with them.

I mean, I don't think, comparatively, there was huge overlap between the Smash fanbase and the Tekken fanbase. In the west, it's not like Dragon Quest is some megaton series a ton of people have actual experience with. But Tekken and DQ are big series in general so people kind of overlook that.

Though I think, looking at the popular requests, the bar for familiarity with third-parties has since widened. That or people are pushing for third-parties they've less experience with.

So I think highlighting Joker and Terry specifically (albeit unintentionally) confers a false inference of how similar those two actually are, in part probably because Persona did genuinely used to be much nicher, and Joker wasn't a big part of discussion before getting in. And then it perpetuates people invoking Joker within, "here's how we get [niche character]". I mean, I don't think Joker & Terry are going to be used to invoke big series that fall along your lines of seemingly limited overlap, like Dark Souls, Tomb Raider or Mass Effect. I think you'll see it mostly in propping up niche longshots.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well if I read the post correctly, Nomura is the one who went with the Nomura story, because it wasn’t a Nomura story, this is what the original director intended for a remake this entire time.

You shot yourself in the foot dawg idk what to tell you
I don't even know what you just said!

Chrono Trigger isn't only a game to me but it was an experience that is tied to so many things in my life. The game is one game I will revisit consistently and still get the same emotions and feelings. To me, this version of CT is timeless and what I most identify with.
I mean...you could still play the original.

Last edited:

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
Sans Undertale, without a shred of irony.

Probably the biggest cross-appeal western character available, and one that already has his foot in the door. His popularity has not subsided and his Mii Costume garnered the same level of hype as some playable characters. No doubt that Undertale is on the radar for at least some more substantial content.

After that would be Master Chief, but I think he would be designated for DLC.
Yeah, i dont see master chief being in smash bros before crash bandicoot and jonesy. As for sans, i'm sorry, but i think that for the base roster i only see 2 third party characters, those being ryu hayabusa and monster hunter.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Yeah, i dont see master chief being in smash bros before crash bandicoot and jonesy. As for sans, i'm sorry, but i think that for the base roster i only see 2 third party characters, those being ryu hayabusa and monster hunter.
This is soo ignorant.

1st we have no indication a mostly dead franchise ( Ninja Gaiden ) , will get a rep.
2nd Epic Games , found Nintendo as easy as making diamonds to work with , in terms of failing to do a collaboration.
3rd Why would Nintendo or Microsoft prioritze CB over one of Microsoft's better options ?
4rth Sakurai said himself the characters from Monster Hunter were not able to be worked into Smash
5th , Why would these characters be prioritized over the character who placed #2 on the smash ballot ?
especial when Halo has made a lot more $ than these 2 franchises combined ?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Feels like Monster hunter was intended to be in but byleth took the moveset instead
I feel like you could make a Monster Hunter moveset that’s very different from Byleth. My favorite potential idea is to go with a rider class from Monster Hunter Stories. That way, you also get playable representation of the monsters themselves along with the rider. The only Monster Hunter game I’ve played is MH Stories 2 and I thought it was a lot of fun. That game’s protagonist would be a really unique character for Smash and they ride a baby Rathalos. The more cartoony art direction in that game fits Smash better than the more realistic mainline games.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
I feel like you could make a Monster Hunter moveset that’s very different from Byleth. My favorite potential idea is to go with a rider class from Monster Hunter Stories. That way, you also get playable representation of the monsters themselves along with the rider. The only Monster Hunter game I’ve played is MH Stories 2 and I thought it was a lot of fun. That game’s protagonist would be a really unique character for Smash and they ride a baby Rathalos. The more cartoony art direction in that game fits Smash better than the more realistic mainline games.
i agree but for Smash i prefer the protag from MHS1 more.

Lute (male) and Sophie (female)

having a rider class in Smash could be unique yet true to the franchise where the monsters are the draw

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I disagree.

Yes, Smash sometimes needs to give "realistic" characters simpler textures or more exaggerated proportions but it also does the reverse: "cartoony" characters also get more details on their clothes/hair or have more realistic proportions.

I don't think you can simply call Smash's art direction "cartoony" and declare one type of character fits better into it. It's more of a half-half-split at best in Ultimate imo.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
this storm person seems a little delusional
Like most on Twitter

Terry sure but Joker, at the time, was a cool reveal but now with hindsight, was just really random pick. Even if you have to stretch it, All of the Third Party chosen had strong ties to Nintendo and their history but mainline Persona, specifically 5, didn't even hit Nintendo til like 3 years later the reveal.

Really weird as the desire for Persona for Switch was shot up dramatically with Joker reveal and Nintendo loved using the FPs to promote characters getting new games on Switch like FE, Xenoblade, Arms, Dragon Quest etc so it's head-scratching that neither party of Nintendo, Sega or Altus bothered to capitalize on it.

What makes even more Weird with the capital W is they had Shin Megami Tensei. The Mainline Series above Persona. Always exclusive on Nintendo Platforms. With SMT5 on its way. And yet nothing but the spin-off relegated to Playstation got the pick.

Makes me wonder what did Nintendo get out of the deal to essentially self-promote an exclusive title of the competition of another platform?

Those type of "what are those" picks are great but those series actually have to make a headway to Nintendo systems for to try out and not half-**** like Joker and Sora were. Otherwise, what's the point?

Luckily I had a PS3 otherwise i would've lucked out from trying out KH.

They really need to make a Monster hunter stage that's actually playable in multiplayer.
They need more MH in general tbh. Still need to try the series out.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Eh, I disagree.

Yes, Smash sometimes needs to give "realistic" characters simpler textures or more exaggerated proportions but it also does the reverse: "cartoony" characters also get more details on their clothes/hair or have more realistic proportions.

I don't think you can simply call Smash's art direction "cartoony" and declare one type of character fits better into it. It's more of a half-half-split at best in Ultimate imo.
Yeah, that’s true too. Either way they go, they would likely update the visuals to fit in with the rest of the cast. Not saying that realistic characters can’t work. It’s just my personal opinion that if you pulled a character or monster from Stories directly without changing the visuals, they fit with Smash more than doing the same with the mainline games. Not that it really matters much since the visuals would be updated in either case.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Feels like Monster hunter was intended to be in but byleth took the moveset instead
It's ridiculous that this is still so often parroted in 2023.

Byleth was never intended to be Monster Hunter. Byleth was always meant to be in the pass. Byleth's moveset makes a ton of sense for Byleth (even if a whipsword focused moveset around the Sword of the Creator would have been better) and includes way too many Three Houses specific references and animations to have been a retrofit. Suggesting elsewise to any of the above at this point is like, weapon-grade copium, no two ways about it.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This is soo ignorant.

1st we have no indication a mostly dead franchise ( Ninja Gaiden ) , will get a rep.
2nd Epic Games , found Nintendo as easy as making diamonds to work with , in terms of failing to do a collaboration.
3rd Why would Nintendo or Microsoft prioritze CB over one of Microsoft's better options ?
4rth Sakurai said himself the characters from Monster Hunter were not able to be worked into Smash
5th , Why would these characters be prioritized over the character who placed #2 on the smash ballot ?
On point 3, wasn't Crash way more popular before we got Steve and people start to jump on the Chief wagon? I'm not trying to understated Chief's popularity and merits, but you can't deny that Crash is a very big name too, with a huge popularity in the Nintendo fandom. Either way, the "Microsoft better option" is very subjective.

On point 4... Source on that? I'm pretty confident he literally never said anything remotely close to that, but to be fair I could be the one wrong here. The only thing remoetely close that I could find was the MH team saying that they didn't want the hunter in Marvel vs Capcom 3... which was 13 years ago and they literally appeared in Infinite so I'm assuming they don't have a problem with it anymore

On point 5, there is no source on who placed second on the ballot. Either way, I highly doubt Chief would be second on the ballot when most Microsoft votes where going to Banjo and Steve, with Conker probably taking a few votes too. Nobody was seriously bringing Chief in 2015. Even alongside Microsoft characters alone Chief was probably not second, let alone from the whole pool of characters.

Terry sure but Joker, at the time, was a cool reveal but now with hindsight, was just really random pick. Even if you have to stretch it, All of the Third Party chosen had strong ties to Nintendo and their history but mainline Persona, specifically 5, didn't even hit Nintendo til like 3 years later the reveal.

Really weird as the desire for Persona for Switch was shot up dramatically with Joker reveal and Nintendo loved using the FPs to promote characters getting new games on Switch like FE, Xenoblade, Arms, Dragon Quest etc so it's head-scratching that neither party of Nintendo, Sega or Altus bothered to capitalize on it.

What makes even more Weird with the capital W is they had Shin Megami Tensei. The Mainline Series above Persona. Always exclusive on Nintendo Platforms. With SMT5 on its way. And yet nothing but the spin-off relegated to Playstation got the pick.

Makes me wonder what did Nintendo get out of the deal to essentially self-promote an exclusive title of the competition of another platform?

Those type of "what are those" picks are great but those series actually have to make a headway to Nintendo systems for to try out and not half-**** like Joker and Sora were. Otherwise, what's the point?

Luckily I had a PS3 otherwise i would've lucked out from trying out KH.
I don't think Joker is that random to be honest. Sure SMT had the Nintendo ties, but you can't seriously argue that Flynn from SMT 4 would have made more sense than Joker when the latter is by far Atlus' most popular character and it's not even close. If SMT V release had better timing you could arguably made a case from Nahobino, but even that would have feel off imo. Atlus was always one of Nintendo's biggest third party supporter and if you want to deal with them for a character in Smash, Joker was truly the only viable choices even with no ties with Nintendo.

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
This is soo ignorant.

As for the 1st point, banjo kazooie is a dead franchise since 2018, so it counts. The 2nd point its the only one i will accept, but mostly because fortnite bias, the 3rd, 4th and 5th point have been alreafy been answered.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be honest I don't really think DK needs that many characters? The only real link that's missing is Dixie, I think it's fine otherwise.

You could do Cranky or Funky Kong, but I don't think either of them are essential. Everyone seems so focused on just numbers.
I know I'm annoyingly late, but don't single out my boy Cranky. He's pretty essential. And relevant enough. He's the 'retro' pick of DK and iconic enough that would make his inclusion more than Donkey Kong, but I literally retro pick it's self. You can end off DK representation with him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are we still really doing the "Persona is a SMT spin-off" meme?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Are we still really doing the "Persona is a SMT spin-off" meme?
Look at the website you’re on, this is probably the tenth variant of the same question you’ve probably asked before. :239:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why would they start developing and programming a moveset if the rights weren't secured? You could argue that they had and then lost the rights, but...

1. This has never happened before, even with notorious characters like Steve and Sora
2. Capcom is clearly okay with Monster Hunter being in the game as the music, Rathalos and spirits suggest.

I do believe that Nintendo and Sakurai actively want to include Monster Hunter and are being denied that for whatever reason but... I also don't think they can change plans midway through development. Even if they had the flexibility of DLC development.

Besides, that would be an Uber boring Monster Hunter moveset. It works for Byleth if they're trying to avoid using the sword, but for Monster Hunter? Nah.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My only small personal issue with a playable Monster Hunter in Smash is that I generally tend to prefer established characters to avatars. That aside, their designs are really cool and I’m sure their movesets would be really fun too. We do already have several avatar characters in Smash so it’s not like that’s a hurdle or anything. Overall, I’d still be happy to see Monster Hunter in Smash but that’s why they aren’t higher on my most wanted list.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Personally I think monster hunter is one of the most likely capcom franchises to get a character
If they do I expect some of the new frills from Wilds to show up which could help ease some of the symptoms the series seems to suffer from in terms of the smash conversation.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Personally I think monster hunter is one of the most likely capcom franchises to get a character
It's definitely highly likely, but honestly it's probably a coinflip between MH and Dante for the next Capcom character, because of the huge demand for him during the DLC season (resulting in a Mii costume, like K. Rool and Chrom got in Smash 4 before being added to Ultimate).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like I should have a response at the ready whenever I get hit with the Crash > Master Chief shtick but really, I can't add much new to the conversation. Only one of these characters remains the mascot of their parent company, only one of them represents a brand new genre and quite frankly Chief increases Smash's reach and scope way way further than Crash could ever hope to do. I simply do not think Crash Bandicoot is a likely character and I think the movement around him has petered out substantially because his future is once again in limbo.

As far as Monster Hunter goes, I also believe they're someone to keep an eye on. At the absolute least, Monster Hunter should get its content rounded out to around the scale of Animal Crossing in Brawl. If we can't get a playable character for whatever reason at least give us a really memorable stage and a few more items and assists to round things out. Although personally I think they could work out a character if they really wanted to, and they may just do that.

On point 3, wasn't Crash way more popular before we got Steve and people start to jump on the Chief wagon? I'm not trying to understated Chief's popularity and merits, but you can't deny that Crash is a very big name too, with a huge popularity in the Nintendo fandom. Either way, the "Microsoft better option" is very subjective.
I guess I can't speak for everyone, but I was absolutely on the Master Chief train before Steve was revealed and was convinced he was going to be in the game as the second Microsoft character. If anything it feels like Master Chief started to get more buzz after FP2 was confirmed and Steve fell more by the wayside under an assumption that Minecraft content may come through other means.

It's definitely highly likely, but honestly it's probably a coinflip between MH and Dante for the next Capcom character, because of the huge demand for him during the DLC season (resulting in a Mii costume, like K. Rool and Chrom got in Smash 4 before being added to Ultimate).
Probably shouldn't sleep on Chun-Li or a Resident Evil character either. Capcom certainly has the most expansive well of popular and iconic characters to select from and yes it's kind of a coin toss which of them they would tackle first. Personally I think Dante is on the bottom of this totem pole since these other series are stronger pillars for Capcom, but if they want to respond directly to popularity then I can see it happening. There's definitely room for more than one especially with the inevitability of a DLC wave, so maybe they opt for the more conventional pick for the base roster then throw Dante in as DLC.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, I think that’s probably right. I’d say my number one is Zero but Monster Hunter is definitely up there. Dante, Chun-Li, and Leon are some other strong contenders.
Broke: Dante and Leon are Capcom reps
Woke: Dante and Leon are Hideki Kamiya reps :4bayonetta:

Top Bottom