• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised about the lack of Falcon and Ness (and Puff, now that I'm looking a bit closer), but as someone's already gone over that, I'll bring up another thing I'm curious about. Why go for Roy over Ike? I would think Marth/Ike/Robin/Byleth would be a pretty well-rounded FE cast with all pretty different movesets to work with, plus Ike is just generally really popular within FE itself.

No shade, I have nothing against Roy, just curious mainly.
It really is a toss up personally on keeping Roy or Ike. I had to cut one of them, but it could easily go the other way.

In terms of Falcon and Ness, I just wanted to prioritise more modern characters. I found more of a reason for Fox or Pit to stay, in that regard.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
:ultluigi::ultness::ultmarth::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultolimar:
:ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:
:ultinkling::ultsimon::ultjoker::ulthero3::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultkazuya::ultsora:

One character per series!!
Why is Luigi the exception? And cutting many supporting characters is not a good idea. No Peach or Bowser? No Ganondorf? Sure, there’s diversity, but no substance, especially for franchises with rotating casts like Pokémon, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

(Though I will say cutting Captain Falcon is quite the move)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It really is a toss up personally on keeping Roy or Ike. I had to cut one of them, but it could easily go the other way.
Ike is pretty much the most popular Fire Emblem character, so I don't see us losing him any time soon. I see us losing Captain Falcon and Ness even less, Smash's rich history and two of its most iconic and beloved characters would not immediately get tossed to the curb in a reboot scenario. That is overcompensation to keep things new when part of Smash's appeal and significance has always been shedding light on those lesser celebrated series. In my opinion the moment Smash loses sight of that is the moment it dies.

Even so, F-Zero 99 just came out and they just made a pretty big deal about dropping Earthbound on NSO. I would argue this is more attention than either Star Fox or Kid Icarus have gotten recently, if we want to use that as a metric. All four of those characters are essential regardless, but I don't think it's fair to hold this so strongly against them when both of these series are still being kept relevant in one way or another.

The takeaway here should be that a series "relevance" is not always properly conveyed through how many new games it's getting. I would say the Mother series is more notable and popular in the present day than it's ever been and has been influencing a number of really successful games. F-Zero is a series that Nintendo is always paying homage to in one way or another, even if they're not making a new game. We got all that F-Zero love in Mario Kart, that means something. Whether or not a series chooses to continue is not an indictment of their significance, the full picture is much deeper than that.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Luigi’s Mansion is not an independent series. Luigi is clearly advertised as a Mario character, unlike Yoshi or Wario.
I feel like at this point it's more of a formality than anything to keep Luigi under the Mushroom emblem, but if they REALLY wanted to they could definitely let him represent Luigi's Mansion specifically. The series has three games now (and given the success of the most recent title, there will be more)... that's one more game than when Yoshi debuted in 64 under his own emblem.

Hell, Nintendo was even treating Luigi's Mansion as its own thing as far back as the Nintendo Land attraction. It's about on par with the Yoshi series and honestly that's even being a bit generous to Yoshi. Certainly about the closest thing to an independent series from within the Mario tree, the only sticking point being that Mario, Peach, Toad etc appear in the game but Yoshi isn't especially void of this either.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I would personally expect a roster that retains around 40-50 of Ultimate’s cast, with room for new characters that aren’t pipe dream picks like Ultimate was. And more leaning towards modern and timeless characters instead of classic retro icons.
Even Smash 64 characters won’t be safe from cuts.

My veteran roster would look like this.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultolimar:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultinkling::ultshulk:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:)
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultfox::ultpit::ultrob:
:ultgnw::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ulthero::ultkazuya:
(And Miis too)

I would also expect around 9 newcomers, bringing this roster to 55 characters (+Random too).
Aside from more particular nitpicks and tweaks I would personally make, the overarching suggestion I have here is that this roster cuts a lot of first party series. I see no F-Zero, Wii Fit, ARMS, Mother, Punch Out, Duck Hunt, or Ice Climber. On a 55-character roster the spots are obviously going to be very limited, so probably not all of them can be saved. But cutting this many would be pretty intense.

Anyway I think we will see slightly more 1P vets than this, as only like 5 or so more slots makes it WAY easier to fit everything that feels more or less essential.

Also you might have a few too many third parties. Base Ult had only 8/69 uniques as third party, and some of that may have only been possible with EiH as a top priority. Even if you allow for some increase in the percentage of the base roster that is third party, it still seems like a lot, especially if you have third party newcomers in mind. Third parties are always more common in DLC, so I wouldn't use the full Ult roster to determine the proportion of 3P reps.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Me, I’m just going to give an example with Link.
  1. Champion’s Tunic
  2. Hero of the Wild set
  3. Well-Worn Outfit
  4. Hero of Time set
  5. Royal Guard set
  6. Hero of Twilight set
  7. Nintendo-Switch T-Shirt
  8. Dark Link set
…Actually, this got me thinking about how with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, Nickelodeon demanded that the alternate costumes for every single character only be pulled from official alternate outfits. What would a Smash game be like with a mandate like this? At the very least, I already thought about this with Link.

Ivander

Smash Legend
…Actually, this got me thinking about how with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, Nickelodeon demanded that the alternate costumes for every single character only be pulled from official alternate outfits. What would a Smash game be like with a mandate like this? At the very least, I already thought about this with Link.
For the most part, I think it should be like this with Alternate costumes for characters. Especially when a good chunk of the characters in Smash Bros have plenty to pull from, like the Mario characters, Link, Samus, Shulk, Villager, Ness and Lucas, the Inklings, the Fire Emblem characters and just about all of the 3rd Party characters.

I can see exceptions though when the character may not have any alternate outfits, like some Pokemon characters or a character with a single game or little material like Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, etc. I can also see the exception if a version of the character doesn't have any alternate costumes from themselves to pull from, like ALttP Zelda and Young Link. In those cases, I'm good with more original alternate outfits or even using outfits from other characters or versions of themselves.

I just wish modders did that rule more often than just the same ol' same ol'.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For the most part, I think it should be like this with Alternate costumes for characters. Especially when a good chunk of the characters in Smash Bros have plenty to pull from, like the Mario characters, Link, Samus, Shulk, Villager, Ness and Lucas, the Inklings, the Fire Emblem characters and just about all of the 3rd Party characters.
Im glad they got to do this with Sora, its so cool.

I kinda wish they would do this with Joker. Since Persona 5 and its dancing spin off have some neat alternate outfits for him.

A Kazuma Kiryu suit, a Red ranger suit, a santa claus outfit among others.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ike is pretty much the most popular Fire Emblem character, so I don't see us losing him any time soon. I see us losing Captain Falcon and Ness even less, Smash's rich history and two of its most iconic and beloved characters would not immediately get tossed to the curb in a reboot scenario. That is overcompensation to keep things new when part of Smash's appeal and significance has always been shedding light on those lesser celebrated series. In my opinion the moment Smash loses sight of that is the moment it dies.

Even so, F-Zero 99 just came out and they just made a pretty big deal about dropping Earthbound on NSO. I would argue this is more attention than either Star Fox or Kid Icarus have gotten recently, if we want to use that as a metric. All four of those characters are essential regardless, but I don't think it's fair to hold this so strongly against them when both of these series are still being kept relevant in one way or another.

The takeaway here should be that a series "relevance" is not always properly conveyed through how many new games it's getting. I would say the Mother series is more notable and popular in the present day than it's ever been and has been influencing a number of really successful games. F-Zero is a series that Nintendo is always paying homage to in one way or another, even if they're not making a new game. We got all that F-Zero love in Mario Kart, that means something. Whether or not a series chooses to continue is not an indictment of their significance, the full picture is much deeper than that.
Pretty much. I don't really think that Smash would ever focus only on popular series and characters. And for me, cutting Captain Falcon and Ness is pretty much unthinkable.
Don't care. He still has his own series.
Although Smash doesn't treat it that way as Luigi's Mansion is folded into the Mario franchise instead of being treated as its own thing.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
surely you can have both?
Doesn't seem like it. The Dark Samus and Chrom alts got removed when Dark Samus and Chrom became Echoes.

Although Smash doesn't treat it that way as Luigi's Mansion is folded into the Mario franchise instead of being treated as its own thing.
shrug Doesn't matter to me what Smash puts Mushroom icons on. It's my list, I set the rules. And I count Luigi's Mansion as a series.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Im glad they got to do this with Sora, its so cool.

I kinda wish they would do this with Joker. Since Persona 5 and its dancing spin off have some neat alternate outfits for him.

A Kazuma Kiryu suit, a Red ranger suit, a santa claus outfit among others.
Joker having an alternate outfit of a character from another series probably won't sit well with fans of that series, especially as one as big as Like a Dragon,.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What about them? Pit's black-winged alt in Ultimate isn't a Dark Pit alt. It's the same black-winged alt he had back in Brawl, before Dark Pit even existed.
there still just pallet swaps of each other. if people can tell them apart they can tell anyone apart

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Something I noticed about Mario stages in smash why are “super Mario bros” stages specifically are mostly grass field stages when the series has a lot of more interesting location to choose from like not even bowser castle is there without counting the shapeshifting stages

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Something I noticed about Mario stages in smash why are “super Mario bros” stages specifically are mostly grass field stages when the series has a lot of more interesting location to choose from like not even bowser castle is there without counting the shapeshifting stages
Because the stages picked are usually the most recognizable place the game has to offer.

Most everyone has played the grassland levels because they're the first few stages. They get picked because of that.

All that aside, the grassland criticism for Mario is not accurate. Looking through all of the Mario levels (and not counting Mario Kart) in the franchise we have...

Peach's Castle (No Grass)
Mushroom Kingdom (No Grass)
Princess Peach's Castle (No Grass)
Rainbow Cruise (No Grass)

Mushroom Kingdom II (Grass)
Delfino Plaza (No Grass)
Mushroomy Kingdom (No Grass)
Luigi's Mansion (No Grass)
Mario Bros (No Grass)

3D Land (Grass)
Golden Plains (Grass)

Paper Mario (Grass for 1 transformation, out of three)
Mushroom Kingdom U (Grass for 1 transformation, out of four)

Mario Galaxy (Grass)
Super Mario Maker (Grass)

New Donk City (No Grass)

We really don't have nearly as many grassy plains for Mario stages as you'd think. Most Mario stages don't have those grassy plains. Oh and to stop the smart alecks, I'm counting stages that have "grassy plains" as the theme. Even then, I don't think most people would count Mario Galaxy or Mushroom Kingdom II as grassy stages because they're different. Mario stages have a ton of variety.

It's not like DK stages being all jungle levels or Metroid stages being mostly lava/acid levels. Mario fans are eating good.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Tried to roughly do a new "Nintendo-only" "reboot" roster thing, just as an experiment.

Row 1
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy & Dixie, Yoshi, Wario

Row 2
Link, Zelda, Ganon, Samus Aran, Alear & Marth, Kirby, King Dedede, ExciteBiker

Row 3
Pikachu, Meowth, Greninja, Gholdengo, Andy, Isaac, Marshal, Ring Fit Adventurer

Row 4
Isabelle, Little Mac, Fox McCloud, Captain Falcon, Ray MK III, Olimar, Shulk, Inkling

Row 5
Pit, Lip, Ness, Chibi-Robo, Miis, (Random Button)

That’s about 36 characters.

• Three are very different/altered forms of a previous character (Diddy & Dixie being sort of like the NASB Angry Beavers in how they switch and play off each other, Ganon being the sorcerer pig with the trident, Alear & Marth is a semi-hybrid of Joker & Arsen and the old Marth, but with clear differences from Joker’s kit)
  • Many veterans receive heavy tweaks, but are not fundamentally totally altered from just being that character fighting solo like the other three mentioned.
  • The total of full-on newcomers is 10, and most are from previously unrepresented series.
  • Miis are a Create-A-Fighter thing, like in Soul Calibur or various wrestling games.
  • There’s a heavy emphasis on customization in general with a lot of characters given a standard revamped moveset from this game, a classic Smash moveset, and other additional options from throughout their histories, as well as Echoes/alt costumes being part of potentially differing properties of customization.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So any guesses if Nintendo has already started negotiating characters for Smash 6? if they haven't by now, i imagine a 2026 release year.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know the issue about some of these "Roster changes"? They are too safe. So let's add some risk to that game.

Pretty simple. It's a list of all Nintendo franchises/games in Smash Bros. with less than 5 characters. You get that franchise or character in the RNG, that franchise or character is replaced.
  1. You get a franchise, you must replace all of their characters with characters from another notably-sized Nintendo franchise that doesn't have a playable character in Smash Bros.
  2. You get a character, you must replace that character with a character from either a stand-alone Nintendo game or Nintendo franchise with two games that doesn't have a playable character in Smash Bros. Franchises with 3 games or more cannot be picked unless that franchise has very few characters.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
You know the issue about some of these "Roster changes"? They are too safe. So let's add some risk to that game.

Pretty simple. It's a list of all Nintendo franchises/games in Smash Bros. with less than 5 characters. You get that franchise or character in the RNG, that franchise or character is replaced.
  1. You get a franchise, you must replace all of their characters with characters from another notably-sized Nintendo franchise that doesn't have a playable character in Smash Bros.
  2. You get a character, you must replace that character with a character from either a stand-alone Nintendo game or Nintendo franchise with two games that doesn't have a playable character in Smash Bros. Franchises with 3 games or more cannot be picked unless that franchise has very few characters.
I did it 3 times I got

Wario
Yoshi
Kid Icarus series

so my replacements are

1. Yuka (Rhythm Heaven)
2. Saki (Sin and Punishment)
3. Sami, Andy and Sturm from Advance Wars (or just Sami and Andy if we are not counting Dark Pit as a separate character)

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Moreso wondering if it's worth getting. Last I played was 3... But I do love SC and though it's been out awhile now 6 is the latest one.
Do you play on console or PC? It's definitely worth it imo, though it has admittedly been a while since I last played. If playing online is a big draw for you, I'm not sure how active it's player base is nowadays. As far as single player content goes, it's got a decent amount to occupy your time for a while. I would say if you play on PC, try picking it up during a Steam Sale so you can get all the DLC characters as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Link's going to be in, my guess is that they'll base him off of "Tears of the Kingdom", and one of his specials will let him absorb a nearby item into the Master Sword to temporarily increase its power.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Link's going to be in, my guess is that they'll base him off of "Tears of the Kingdom", and one of his specials will let him absorb a nearby item into the Master Sword to temporarily increase its power.
I doubt Link 6 is going to get any big gameplay changes. Especially considering TotK Link is already the same Link as Link Ultimate.

I think at most Link 6 will get a TotK alt costume. Possibly the upgraded Champion's Leathers, or the Archaic Set.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This Ultimate mod has some pretty cool ideas for a Tears of the Kingdom based moveset. I think it would be fun to see Link’s up special changed to Ascension and his current up special moved to his down smash.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
if i had to pick mario party stage i think Kamek's library would be interesting

could maybe ride a book like pillowing stage

also there is Kamek's Tantalizing Tower would be a cool stage

ngl kamek got the good stuff in mario party

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Speaking of Taki, has anyone played Soul Cal 6 ?
I own the game but never really put a lot of time in it, i enjoy 2D fighters more than 3D ones but its not a bad game.

One of the series I am surprised we don’t have yet as stage is Mario party
Is there a specific mario party stage you guys want in smash?
Man thats a pretty tought question to answer.

There are a lot of Mario party boards i love so i cant pick just one.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So any guesses if Nintendo has already started negotiating characters for Smash 6? if they haven't by now, i imagine a 2026 release year.
I'm predicting that the next Smash game will come in 2025. I highly doubt that a 2024 release will happen unless they are indeed going the Ultimate port route, and I'm not expecting a 2026 release unless the next console instead comes out in 2025 and we get an extra year of the Switch.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Do you play on console or PC? It's definitely worth it imo, though it has admittedly been a while since I last played. If playing online is a big draw for you, I'm not sure how active it's player base is nowadays. As far as single player content goes, it's got a decent amount to occupy your time for a while. I would say if you play on PC, try picking it up during a Steam Sale so you can get all the DLC characters as well.
I prefer my xbox over pc gaming so I was considering getting it from game pass ... I'm thinking I'd just be playing it locally with my wife . Hmmm okay thanks for the input!

I also just hooked up my gcn so playing SC2 is a thing I can do again lol.

Top Bottom