• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What does everyone think of Rauru as a potential Zelda newcomer? I almost never see him brought up but I think he’d be a great way to represent a lot of mechanics from Tears of the Kingdom without needing to make a fourth Link or revamp the one we have. Rauru is also a pretty important character in terms of the lore of that game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i can give you all feedback on your lists, or at least certain characters on the lists, if you want.

What does everyone think of Rauru as a potential Zelda newcomer? I almost never see him brought up but I think he’d be a great way to represent a lot of mechanics from Tears of the Kingdom without needing to make a fourth Link or revamp the one we have. Rauru is also a pretty important character in terms of the lore of that game.
not happening. lore means nothing to smash

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’m gonna do 8 unique fighters and 3 Echo Fighters
  • #83. Waluigi
  • #84. Raven Beak
  • #85. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • #86-87. Noah & Mio
  • #88. Ring Fit Trainee
  • #89. Chun-Li
  • #90. Dr. Eggman
  • #36ε. Dixie Kong
  • #49ε. Glass Joe
  • #76ε. Ninjara
Alright, time to explain my picks:
  • Waluigi & BWD: Mainly to make the fans happy
  • Raven Beak, Noah & Mio and Ring Fit Trainee: Mainly to represent other aspects of the Switch era
  • Dr. Eggman & Chun-Li: Because they’re two of the most iconic characters in gaming
  • Dixie, Alph and Ninjara: Because in my mind, they make sense as Echo Fighters

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Gonna be honest, whether it's a prediction list, wishlist or what if scenario list, I'm just not a fan of list posting.
I appreciate your honesty.

List posting is my favorite thing.

Aside from this, what non-character stuff do you guys want?
Gameplay Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Kirby style Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)
-Bring back any missing Stages and Assist Trophies that didn't already return.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I felt like the jist of it was enough to get why I chose the characters I did, but expand on it a little more for the sake of discussion. I agree with the previous post about how it can be a little dry just to wade through a bunch of lists so I'll try to open up the forum to some of my choices.

Spoiled them so I'm not taking up valuable real estate in the thread. FWIW, this is the "SSBU Deluxe" hypothetical roster but it generally extends toward where my mind is at for whatever the next game ends up being too. So feel free to let me know where you agree and disagree!

As we talked about yesterday, Animal Crossing and Splatoon are a couple of the big winners of the Switch era. New Horizons is one of the greatest success stories for Nintendo in recent memory and has brought millions of new fans toward the series, so not unlike how new Mario characters are frequently added to the series I suspect Tom Nook will be a choice that will appeal to the wider casual audience of Nintendo fans. Meanwhile, Splatoon is still a relatively fresh Nintendo IP and Ultimate was really only able to lean into Splatoon 1. Since then we've got two more successful titles and an expansive DLC campaign starring an Octoling. Now it's standard for Octolings to be selectable as your default player character - there is no chance that we see another Smash game without them at least being some sort of costume option or echo fighter minimum. These are the two most obvious choices.

Maybe a bit more controversial because there are so many beloved Capcom series and characters that we're waiting to join the roster, but I'm just gonna be real with you all. Chun-Li outclasses all of them. Like, let's forget that she's "another Street Fighter rep", I think that sells her so tremendously short. She is one of the most iconic video game characters of all time, the "leading lady" of fighting games and arguably games in general. It's about specifically adding Chun-Li, not about adding more Street Fighter. She is the single biggest character not in the game and she's in arms reach - definitely a matter of "when" not "if".

The dreaded recency picks. I don't really love doing these especially since we've got so much time until we see another game, but under the assumption this hypothetical deluxe version releases in like two years or so... these are some of the ones to watch. Ring Fit Adventure was a breakout success and with Splatoon and ARMS in the roster already, this feels like the last remaining essential "modern" Nintendo IP. Past that we don't have a lot - I know Astral Chain exists, but I honestly want to see them put out another game before I put faith in that. Every Smash game has a new Nintendo series to introduce and this is easily your best bet.

New Pokemon, yadda yadda. Meowscarada is kind of the boring pick but it's the one I would see them doing. I don't mind it because I think a magician sort of kit would be fun, an archetype we have a surprising lack of, on top of finally filling out that final evo triangle with a grass type starter. The latter point doesn't really matter at the end of the day but there's a part of me that would like to see it. Otherwise they just seem like the most prominent and the most popular of the three.

Captain & Oatchi is a more out there, silly idea but it's one that I wanted to add anyway. I think we need some more fighters who aren't really remotely humanoid. Pikmin's clout has raised noticeably on Switch and Pikmin 4 had a great launch, I don't think it necessarily "needs" a character to reflect that but it's one of the games that might come up when discussing these recent hits. At the end of the day, being a fun idea is the only justification needed.

Mio, I'm not so convinced on but like... I realized that I was selling your usual JRPGs a little short and those are characters they quite like to add. Xenoblade 3 is fairly popular, it's another series that has seen big wins on Switch, I do think Pythra being added through DLC makes it so this isn't completely essential but I think there's enough reason to go ahead and give Xenoblade another new face. Just due to the fleeting nature of these protagonists, and this applies to Meowscarada too, this is just tentative until they announce another game.

Outside of Chun-Li I've been pretty skim on third parties. I chose to keep it intimate this time with some of the companies that already saw major collaborations in the base game. Puyo Puyo and Halo are some of the most notable absent IPs from these companies, massively influential toward their respective genres (very important and currently absent genres) and boasting great notoriety in their respective regions. I could give you a million reasons why Arle is a good choice, and Master Chief speaks for himself, but I don't really want to give you the whole spiel so... all you need to know is that Puyo is one of the most successful Japanese gaming franchises not represented in Smash in any capacity, and Halo is Halo. Both would be extremely fresh and unique and cmon, this tonal contrast is just really silly and fun lmao.

Alright, not much that I need to say about these. Waluigi is the new Ridley. This statement used to frustrate me but now I know it to be true. There's a level of fan outcry here extending even beyond the kind that we've seen from these massively popular choices in the past, extending to the most casual of fans given that this is in fact a Super Mario character. I don't see a scenario where Smash continues and this demand continues to be ignored, if we're going for crowdpleasing first parties nobody even comes close.

Meanwhile, I said this the other day but the sheer excitement surrounding Sans' Mii Costume is unlike anything we've seen before. Undertale is massively popular worldwide, Toby Fox has brought the games to Nintendo consoles and continues to collaborate on Nintendo games. Getting more substantial indie content feels like an inevitability and there's nothing better suited for it than Undertale in terms of sheer reach and persisting presence. I think this would be an easy, inexpensive get and a guaranteed headliner.
----

The main feedback I can give to the previously posted lists is that if they added a Tetris block as the "puzzle game rep" over Arle I would admittedly be very annoyed. I think Tetris is good material for a stage and Puyo is better material for a character. Both are essential to the evolution of the genre and I believe they should both have more content than they do now, for whatever that's worth. Again a Tetris stage is kind of a no brainer.
I honestly don’t see arle as true puzzle rep as puyo puyo is simply a spin-off and arle did not originate from puyo puyo I rather see canon arle

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i can give you all feedback on your lists, or at least certain characters on the lists, if you want.

not happening. lore means nothing to smash
I mean, lore isn’t the only reason for his inclusion. He was the character who gave Link many of his abilities in the game. Mechanically, he would make perfect sense to be added to show off those abilities in Smash. He could also go the champion summoning route and utilize their skills as well. Finally, he has a really unique design and to my knowledge, is a completely new race for the Zelda franchise.

I’d love any feedback as long as it’s something more than “this sucks and would never happen”. Being a personal wishlist, I don’t find that type of feedback particularly helpful or interesting.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If Pirahna Plant comes back in the next game (which is a debate I don't want to start), we all agree that it's going to have a singing taunt right?

It's late so you're not getting any explanations out of me, just a list.

1. Bandana Dee
2. Waluigi
3. Isaac
4. Astral Chainer/Akira Howard
5. Ring Fit Adventurer
6. Gholdengo
7. Octoling (Inkling semi clone)
8. Jeanne (Bayonetta echo)
9. Papyrus
10. Dante
11. Master Chief
It is no longer late so I will explain my choices.

1-3: basic fan request choices. Those three are probably the biggest first party requests left, and two of them are also in plenty of modern games. No reason why not.

4-6: I hate the term "promo pick", it has negative connotations, but that's basically what these guys are. Two switch-era IPs getting represented in Smash, and Pokemon getting it's newest generation represented (going Ghold for basically the same reason you suggested).

7: Octoling is a collosal no brainer. My original idea was for them to be an echo, but there's enough stuff from the other Splatoon games for them to at least be Isabelle unique.

8: it's a bit weird having only one echo, but I wanted to add as many unique characters as possible and Octoling got promoted so here we are. Jeanne makes sense as a Bayo echo, I didn't have any other Sega characters lined up, and I also wanted to add more female characters.

9: I don't want to go into another Undertale tangent, I'm only a mildly broken record. You know my Undertale speal and why I think Papyrus is the best choice. If more of Deltarune is out by then, I might swap him out for Ralsei or Susie, but as it stands it's Papyrus time.

10: Dante is one of the most popular third parties. Capcom has a billion characters that should be added, and I don't even know if Dante should be first in line, but I think he's the one that would put the most smiles on people's faces. Phoenix and Hunter and Leon can all be DLC.

11. Master Chief is the big impossible character that actually wouldn't be that difficult to add. Microsoft is already on the roster, so bringing in the Chief wouldn't be nearly as much negotiation as adding a Valve or Sony character. And even if people have started to rationalize the idea as possible, having John Halo in a Nintendo crossover would be insane. Once again, Microsoft has a billion characters that can be added as DLC (Crash, Dragonborn, Gears Man, god knows what else they'll buy), but Chief comes first unless otherwise impossible.

toonito

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, I'd like to pose a query to you all with this sort of thing in mind - because let's be honest, I don't think new first-party picks would be a huge deal in some sort of third fighter's pass compared to third-party picks like, idk, Reimu, Doomguy or Jesus Christ from The Bible Game.

If Nintendo had finalised the documentation for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe, in which the roster is brought from 89 to 100 (including all previous DLC picks and whatnot) and also decided to announce it today, which eleven picks do you feel would be likely to see in a project of that ilk? I'd love to see your thoughts!

For a quick rundown and explanations,
  1. Tom Nook would be a unique fighter who'd predominantly have a more laid-back vibe compared to Villager or Isabelle, and whilst he wouldn't have access to the Pocket, he would have a lot of moves centred around furniture and the like to give him more outright power and range, at the cost of a little less speed and manouverability.
  2. Framme & Clanne are the token Fire Emblem flavour-of-the-month reps, chosen because Engage is the most recent game. Whilst Alear is probably the obvious (and objectively correct) pick, I think it'd be interesting to have these two given their prominent early-game role. In terms of gameplay, you play as Framme using her brawling skills, but Clanne (in the background) can be used to cast spells or provide buffs.
  3. Gholdengo is the token Pokémon rep for Generation 9 (skipping over Generation 8, unfortunately) and is chosen partially because of its notable placement in the Pokédex, the marketing surrounding it, and a desire to have someone a little unique in the roster. Note how I mentioned Tom Nook has more of a focus on furniture - that's because the money-centric moveset goes to Gholdengo.
  4. Sidon is the pick I'm suggesting for the Zelda series, because whilst I agree that the series would benefit from the first wholly new character since (technically) Melee, I think Sidon's actually in a good spot for this - being a prominent side character in both BotW and TotK with a large following and generally a cool design. His moveset would focus on his use of a trident, as well as his ability to control water.
  5. Mio is the last wholly new first-party pick, chosen because I think Xenoblade Chronicles 3 does warrant a character... plus, her fighting style and vibe would be a lot more unique than Noah's. That said, for her Final Smash, Noah of course would arrive to allow the pair to become an Ouroboros. As for her general fighting style - her discs would lend well to an up-close scrapper of sorts, though I imagine she could possibly throw them in a TRON-like manner.
  6. Louie (Olimar ε) is our first of two Echo Fighters, I think Louie is more than justified in this role and would make a lot of sense. He's heavier and a bit slower than Olimar, representing his lazier nature, as well as featuring a slightly different hitbox. He also has a few new moves here and there (namely, Swooping Snitchbug as his up special and a couple of others), but is otherwise pretty similar on a conceptual level.
  7. Octoling (Inkling ε) is a little more like Ken, in that whilst they share similar attributes and a skeleton to Inkling (as well as the Ink mechanic), many of their attacks are completely different, using different weapons and animations. However, many of them tend to fulfil a similar enough role. Octoling's generally a little less focused on the excitement of Inkling, and more focused on precision and professionalism. Perhaps controversially, their default design will be from Splatoon 3, though Agent 10008 as seen in Octo Expansion will of course be an alt (similar to how Agent 3 was an alt for Inkling.)
  8. Bub is our first third-party character, picked for a few reasons. Firstly, the inclusion of both Hero and Sephiroth indicate that Square Enix are willing to play ball - but more prominently, Bub would be our representative for Taito, perhaps one of the biggest missing areas in the Smash series' general representation. Plus, I think he could have a really fun moveset involving elements from both Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble.
  9. Arle is our second third-party newcomer, picked because of the long-lasting popularity and prominence of the Puyo Puyo series, as well as the ability to represent SEGA a little more beyond just Sonic and then Atlus and technically Platinum Games. Plus, she'd have a massive amount of potential given her puzzle game origins (and isn't limited, like Dr. Mario, to being a semi-clone), not to mention her magical skills from the Madou Monogatari series.
  10. Hunter, specifically in their Rise design, is my third third-party pick. I think Capcom makes a lot of sense here, but including another Street Fighter character felt a little foolish, and whilst another Mega Man pick could be fun, I decided against it. Plus, Hunter has a lot of potential given their use of seemingly all kinds of weapons, allies, and tools, such as the newly-added Wirebug! Oh, and give them gender alts and alts with different armour types, too.
  11. Ryu Hayabusa is my last pick, someone I think people would appreciate. Koei-Tecmo are already playing ball with Smash as is, but haven't added much of their own stuff into the game as of yet - so, Ryu, as a classic Nintendo icon and someone with continuing relevance through the modern reboots, makes a lot of sense. Perhaps controversially, I'd suggest his moveset should take more from the reboots with minor elements from the classic games, with his classic alt as an alternate, secondary costume. It'd give him a little breathing room compared to both Simon and Mega Man (two other NES-era characters kind of saddled with the idea of "representing their game's playstyle".)
1. Sol Badguy
2. Chun-Li
3. Dante
4. Doom Guy
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Impa (Age of Calamity Version)
7. Bandana Waddle Dee
8. Toad
9. Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine
10. Ryu Hayabusa
11. 2B

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Am I alone in preferring Impa’s Hyrule Warriors version to her Age of Calamity version? I just think she had a cooler design and more unique personality for Smash compared to her AoC version. Although I can’t deny that riding on a giant frog is pretty cool.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I honestly don’t see arle as true puzzle rep as puyo puyo is simply a spin-off and arle did not originate from puyo puyo I rather see canon arle
This is an interesting stance to take because you're technically not wrong, but Puyo Puyo has pretty much eclipsed Madou Monogatari entirely and become the dominant franchise. And spinoff or not, Puyo Puyo is one of the most influential names in the genre. Its legacy definitely stands on its own.

There really aren't many other points of reference that I can use as an example but I guess just take notice that Persona, a "spinoff" of SMT was added before the main series. Puyo Puyo has more notoriety, popularity and it's the main thing Arle is known for as she has not been in a Madou game for like, 25 years (but we're getting a new one soon, which is exciting).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sorry to change topics again, I’m a bit scatter brained today lol. Feel free to respond to whatever you want if anything.

Has anyone else seen the announced Tales of Arise DLC trailer? I feel like that gives Alphen and Shionne a real shot for Smash since they are going to be relevant again. I thought the game was a lot of fun but I do wish they hadn’t removed to co-op multiplayer since that was one of my favorite things about the Tales series.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Am I alone in preferring Impa’s Hyrule Warriors version to her Age of Calamity version? I just think she had a cooler design and more unique personality for Smash compared to her AoC version. Although I can’t deny that riding on a giant frog is pretty cool.
I like the HW design better than AoC, sure, though I see the appeal for both. I mean the HW design is kind of how I imagine she would have looked if she had become playable in Smash around that same time, hypothetically.
If we got Impa in Smash now, I think we would likewise see a hybrid or brand new design.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, lore isn’t the only reason for his inclusion. He was the character who gave Link many of his abilities in the game. Mechanically, he would make perfect sense to be added to show off those abilities in Smash. He could also go the champion summoning route and utilize their skills as well. Finally, he has a really unique design and to my knowledge, is a completely new race for the Zelda franchise.

I’d love any feedback as long as it’s something more than “this sucks and would never happen”. Being a personal wishlist, I don’t find that type of feedback particularly helpful or interesting.
i can certainly give you a more concise answer for raru. now first of all i do like the character and do think it would be kind of fun to have him but it's my own perception of the smash roster's section process that makes me feel he's unlikely. i can think of one character who chosen for their moveset potential so potential mechanics don't seem to matter. shame really cause there are plenty of characters who i'd be curious to see what he'd do with their abilities. as we all know story importance doesn't mean a thing to smash i think we've seen enough picks to go with that. so i don't really think he has anything going for him unless sak really wants a character to rep totk which strikes me as unlikely

the upside is a 3rd hyrule warriors game should have some amazing new characters

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I like the HW design better than AoC, sure, though I see the appeal for both. I mean the HW design is kind of how I imagine she would have looked if she had become playable in Smash around that same time, hypothetically.
If we got Impa in Smash now, I think we would likewise see a hybrid or brand new design.
That would be interesting to see as they are almost completely different characters both looks and personality wise. I would personally just rather see more stoic female characters in Smash but I’ll accept either version of Impa. I was a bit bummed when they changed Zelda in Ultimate to another bubbly, cheery character. Not that there’s anything wrong with that archetype either, it’s just that Smash already has so many of those in my opinion. That and TP Zelda was by far my favorite of her designs.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
2. Because blazeblue crossover with persona
The one with RWBY? Yes, that one.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to pose a query to you all with this sort of thing in mind - because let's be honest, I don't think new first-party picks would be a huge deal in some sort of third fighter's pass compared to third-party picks like, idk, Reimu, Doomguy or Jesus Christ from The Bible Game.

If Nintendo had finalised the documentation for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe, in which the roster is brought from 89 to 100 (including all previous DLC picks and whatnot) and also decided to announce it today, which eleven picks do you feel would be likely to see in a project of that ilk? I'd love to see your thoughts!

For a quick rundown and explanations,
  1. Tom Nook would be a unique fighter who'd predominantly have a more laid-back vibe compared to Villager or Isabelle, and whilst he wouldn't have access to the Pocket, he would have a lot of moves centred around furniture and the like to give him more outright power and range, at the cost of a little less speed and manouverability.
  2. Framme & Clanne are the token Fire Emblem flavour-of-the-month reps, chosen because Engage is the most recent game. Whilst Alear is probably the obvious (and objectively correct) pick, I think it'd be interesting to have these two given their prominent early-game role. In terms of gameplay, you play as Framme using her brawling skills, but Clanne (in the background) can be used to cast spells or provide buffs.
  3. Gholdengo is the token Pokémon rep for Generation 9 (skipping over Generation 8, unfortunately) and is chosen partially because of its notable placement in the Pokédex, the marketing surrounding it, and a desire to have someone a little unique in the roster. Note how I mentioned Tom Nook has more of a focus on furniture - that's because the money-centric moveset goes to Gholdengo.
  4. Sidon is the pick I'm suggesting for the Zelda series, because whilst I agree that the series would benefit from the first wholly new character since (technically) Melee, I think Sidon's actually in a good spot for this - being a prominent side character in both BotW and TotK with a large following and generally a cool design. His moveset would focus on his use of a trident, as well as his ability to control water.
  5. Mio is the last wholly new first-party pick, chosen because I think Xenoblade Chronicles 3 does warrant a character... plus, her fighting style and vibe would be a lot more unique than Noah's. That said, for her Final Smash, Noah of course would arrive to allow the pair to become an Ouroboros. As for her general fighting style - her discs would lend well to an up-close scrapper of sorts, though I imagine she could possibly throw them in a TRON-like manner.
  6. Louie (Olimar ε) is our first of two Echo Fighters, I think Louie is more than justified in this role and would make a lot of sense. He's heavier and a bit slower than Olimar, representing his lazier nature, as well as featuring a slightly different hitbox. He also has a few new moves here and there (namely, Swooping Snitchbug as his up special and a couple of others), but is otherwise pretty similar on a conceptual level.
  7. Octoling (Inkling ε) is a little more like Ken, in that whilst they share similar attributes and a skeleton to Inkling (as well as the Ink mechanic), many of their attacks are completely different, using different weapons and animations. However, many of them tend to fulfil a similar enough role. Octoling's generally a little less focused on the excitement of Inkling, and more focused on precision and professionalism. Perhaps controversially, their default design will be from Splatoon 3, though Agent 10008 as seen in Octo Expansion will of course be an alt (similar to how Agent 3 was an alt for Inkling.)
  8. Bub is our first third-party character, picked for a few reasons. Firstly, the inclusion of both Hero and Sephiroth indicate that Square Enix are willing to play ball - but more prominently, Bub would be our representative for Taito, perhaps one of the biggest missing areas in the Smash series' general representation. Plus, I think he could have a really fun moveset involving elements from both Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble.
  9. Arle is our second third-party newcomer, picked because of the long-lasting popularity and prominence of the Puyo Puyo series, as well as the ability to represent SEGA a little more beyond just Sonic and then Atlus and technically Platinum Games. Plus, she'd have a massive amount of potential given her puzzle game origins (and isn't limited, like Dr. Mario, to being a semi-clone), not to mention her magical skills from the Madou Monogatari series.
  10. Hunter, specifically in their Rise design, is my third third-party pick. I think Capcom makes a lot of sense here, but including another Street Fighter character felt a little foolish, and whilst another Mega Man pick could be fun, I decided against it. Plus, Hunter has a lot of potential given their use of seemingly all kinds of weapons, allies, and tools, such as the newly-added Wirebug! Oh, and give them gender alts and alts with different armour types, too.
  11. Ryu Hayabusa is my last pick, someone I think people would appreciate. Koei-Tecmo are already playing ball with Smash as is, but haven't added much of their own stuff into the game as of yet - so, Ryu, as a classic Nintendo icon and someone with continuing relevance through the modern reboots, makes a lot of sense. Perhaps controversially, I'd suggest his moveset should take more from the reboots with minor elements from the classic games, with his classic alt as an alternate, secondary costume. It'd give him a little breathing room compared to both Simon and Mega Man (two other NES-era characters kind of saddled with the idea of "representing their game's playstyle".)
Nintendo Originals
1. A N64/GCN/GBA/DS Retro pick
2. Grovyle and Celebi (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon)
3. Monita (Nintendo Land)
4. Urshifu
5. Noah and Mio
6. Toad

Echo Fighters
7. Blaze (for Sonic)
8. Shez (for Byleth)

Third Party
9. Dog (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
10. Space Invader (Taito)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i can certainly give you a more concise answer for raru. now first of all i do like the character and do think it would be kind of fun to have him but it's my own perception of the smash roster's section process that makes me feel he's unlikely. i can think of one character who chosen for their moveset potential so potential mechanics don't seem to matter. shame really cause there are plenty of characters who i'd be curious to see what he'd do with their abilities. as we all know story importance doesn't mean a thing to smash i think we've seen enough picks to go with that. so i don't really think he has anything going for him unless sak really wants a character to rep totk which strikes me as unlikely

the upside is a 3rd hyrule warriors game should have some amazing new characters
Fair enough, you’re probably right about him being a bit unlikely. Still, I think there are several valid reasons why they could go with him so I’m not ready to write him off as a potential character. My most wanted is probably a unique HW Impa but there are lots of great options like Ganon, Midna, Skull Kid, any of the Champions, and many others.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The one with RWBY? Yes, that one.

Nintendo Originals
1. A N64/GCN/GBA/DS Retro pick
2. Grovyle and Celebi (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon)
3. Monita (Nintendo Land)
4. Urshifu
5. Noah and Mio
6. Toad

Echo Fighters
7. Blaze (for Sonic)
8. Shez (for Byleth)

Third Party
9. Dog (Puyo Puyo Tetris)
10. Space Invader (Taito)
Shez doesn't work as a Byleth echo in the slightest.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Shez doesn't work as a Byleth echo in the slightest.
To be fair, Byleth doesn’t really work as themselves in Smash either. Sakurai kind of just made up a moveset gimmick for them and stuck them with it. I feel like the Sword of the Creator was interesting enough for its own moveset without needing to use the other weapons. But I agree Shez doesn’t work great as a Byleth echo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Neither does Dixie for Diddy but everyone literally always mentoins it.
Thank you. I’ve been saying that for a long time. Sure, you could technically force Dixie into a Diddy echo but the two didn’t share any moves in the original trilogy. The closest they get is the peanut gun and bubble gum gun are similar in Tropical Freeze. For some reason a lot of people are fine with forcing Dixie as an echo but certain other characters with many more similarities get people upset at even the suggestion. I don’t get it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There is a weird trend with echoes where people will suggest any even vaguely similar. I remember people suggesting zeraora as a lucario echo
Zeraora over Lucario was so baffling to me considering Zeraora fights significantly more like Wolf than Lucario...Zeraora's not a calm, practiced martial artist. It's an incredibly feral wolverine-type fighter.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Did a Smash Reboot Roster and some DLC too. This would have most Characters be designed as if they've never been added into Smash. Also 2D Art Style lol Art Credits:
  • Redd by Dragoart.com
  • Isabelle by Rongs1234
  • Dragaux by Screwloose Studios
  • Oatchi by eggnoogy
  • Sukapon by fryguy
  • Kumatora by HanifAnimations.
    myroster (5).png

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Zeraora over Lucario was so baffling to me considering Zeraora fights significantly more like Wolf than Lucario...Zeraora's not a calm, practiced martial artist. It's an incredibly feral wolverine-type fighter.
Wait, people actually suggested making Zeraora a Lucario Echo? That is so wrong!

I would go as far as to say that Zeraora pulling out Wolf's gun would feel more in character than using Lucario's calm demeanor.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
This is an interesting stance to take because you're technically not wrong, but Puyo Puyo has pretty much eclipsed Madou Monogatari entirely and become the dominant franchise. And spinoff or not, Puyo Puyo is one of the most influential names in the genre. Its legacy definitely stands on its own.

There really aren't many other points of reference that I can use as an example but I guess just take notice that Persona, a "spinoff" of SMT was added before the main series. Puyo Puyo has more notoriety, popularity and it's the main thing Arle is known for as she has not been in a Madou game for like, 25 years (but we're getting a new one soon, which is exciting).
use joker as an example and say if he appear in alot of dancing games after persona 5 is done and many years passes and these dancing games makes alot of money does that mean when joker gets in smash he will only reference dancing games? And would you call him a rhythm game rep?
That’s how i feel when people ask arle to only have puyo puyo stuff and completely ignore her canon

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
i would be down for Ruaru

Although my preference is , Impa / Paya

Louie G.

Smash Hero
use joker as an example and say he appear in alot of dancing games after persona 5 is done and many years passes and these dancing games makes alot of money does that mean when joker gets in smash he will only reference dancing games? And would you call him a rhythm game rep?
That’s how i feel when people ask arle to only have puyo puyo stuff and completely ignore her canon
This is a completely false equivalency because Persona Dancing All Night does not and never will have the impact and synonymy with the rhythm genre that Puyo Puyo has with puzzle games. And they are still releasing mainline Persona games (which again, is itself a spinoff from Shin Megami Tensei) which make way more money than Dancing All Night. There is no reasonable situation where this comparison makes any lick of sense - it's not like I'm saying Arle should represent Puyo Puyo Da (Puyo Puyo's own rhythm game spinoff). Madou Monogatari is (was, I guess) a dead franchise locked behind Compile - now D4 Enterprise - once Sega bought out the characters and the Puyo Puyo series. Specifically the Puyo Puyo series, Sega did not buy Madou Monogatari and themselves divorced these characters from their series of origin.

This isn't "ignoring" Arle's canon, if anything you are ignoring what makes Arle special and dismissing the importance of one of the most important puzzle game series ever. The reason Arle is seen as a possibility at all is because of of the influence and popularity of Puyo Puyo, not because of Madou Monogatari. Puyo Puyo is a series that brought a competitive spirit to puzzle games and spiced up the genre with dynamic characters were there were previously none. In my opinion, this makes her nothing less than the ideal character to introduce puzzle games to Smash.

This 30 year old legacy is supposed to just get disregarded because it started out as a dungeon crawler? It's a pretty ridiculous, pointless hill to die on that I don't really know what else to say about. It's not even as if this "canon" would be ignored because plenty of elements from Madou carry over directly into the Puyo series such as Arle's signature spells. I'm just kind of baffled at the fact that I need to make this point at all.

I mean hell, this is one degree off of saying Mario should represent Donkey Kong over Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It's not even as if this "canon" would be ignored because plenty of elements from Madou carry over directly into the Puyo series such as Arle's signature spells. I'm just kind of baffled at the fact that I need to make this point at all.
ok this is something i would like to see a mix of madou and puyo puyo is the better option

Louie G.

Smash Hero
ok this is something i would like to see a mix of madou and puyo puyo is the better option
Me too, although I just have to acknowledge that Puyo Puyo itself is already a mix of Madou and Puyo Puyo. Arle shouts out the same spells during Puyo gameplay that she can use in the original games. Her abilities as a mage carry over, her relationship with Carbuncle carries over, anything that would be worth putting into her Smash Bros moveset outside of the Puyo themselves - and technically even them, I'm just referring to the behavior / role of the Puyo in the puzzle games - have foundation in her original appearances in Madou Monogatari.

She would just probably appear under the Puyo Puyo name, particularly because Sega doesn't even own the Madou games. Nothing about Arle as a character gets ignored or tossed aside from her origin.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Did a Smash Reboot Roster and some DLC too. This would have most Characters be designed as if they've never been added into Smash. Also 2D Art Style lol Art Credits:
  • Redd by Dragoart.com
  • Isabelle by Rongs1234
  • Dragaux by Screwloose Studios
  • Oatchi by eggnoogy
  • Sukapon by fryguy
  • Kumatora by HanifAnimations.
  • .View attachment 379758
I like the creativity, but the vast majority of these choices feel like they're subversive for subversion's sake. I can't really see any good reason to replace Villager, Olimar, the entire Pokemon cast, the entire Mother cast, and the entire Fire Emblem cast with Redd, Oatchi, Ash, Cynthia, Melotta, Kumatora, Lyn, and Edelgard. That's also not getting into the completely out-there ideas like cutting Diddy or making Peach, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon DLC.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1. Sol Badguy
2. Chun-Li
3. Dante
4. Doom Guy
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Impa (Age of Calamity Version)
7. Bandana Waddle Dee
8. Toad
9. Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine
10. Ryu Hayabusa
11. 2B
Banger lineup.

Sure, you could technically force Dixie into a Diddy echo but the two didn’t share any moves in the original trilogy.
Characters only HAVE one move in the original trilogy. And they play the same outside of that one move.

Personally for Zelda, you just need Pig Ganon at this point.
Pig Ganon is already perfect as a Boss. The last thing Zelda needs is another character that's already a Fighter.

Most baffling suggestion I've seen for an Echo was Black Knight as an Ike Echo.
Black Knight would work fine as the Ganondorf to Ike's Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Banger lineup.

Characters only HAVE one move in the original trilogy. And they play the same outside of that one move.

Pig Ganon is already perfect as a Boss. The last thing Zelda needs is another character that's already a Fighter.
Diddy was more agile than Dixie to make up for Dixie’s higher jumps and the ability to float. Diddy does a cartwheel for a dash attack while Dixie does a hair spin. Dixie also holds enemies and objects directly above her head with her hair while Diddy carried them in front of his body. The way each held objects had a pretty big impact on who was better for particular situations. The original DKC trilogy were early platformers so of course characters aren’t going to have huge varied movesets but I think Dixie was at least as different from Diddy in DKC2 as Peach was to Mario in Super Mario Bros. 2 and no one argues they should play the same in Smash.

If they were going to create moves to fill out Dixie’s basic attacks, I would think they would want to lean on her using her hair which is what made her stand out in the first place. Diddy’s jet pack from DK64 doesn’t really make any sense for Dixie. The bubble gum gun could be a variant of the peanut gun like Fox’s and Falco’s blasters. Diddy’s other specials were just made for Smash so they could theoretically work but they’re a bit boring when she has so much more potential.

Last edited:
Top Bottom