• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I was going to skip chiming in because many people were wanting to move on and a lot of key points were already covered.

But what I'll say for now is that I think it's healthy, after a long era of cuts being undertalked, for us to renormalize that discussion. That is, be able to talk about cuts without being hurtful, without making personal attacks on people who want or don't want a certain character, and without attempting to demonize the other side of the argument. I get being tired of people being negative about the character choices, but there's no sense in denying people the chance to respectfully express those respectful opinions. Of course it is always a fine line between letting people express themselves and not wanting to enable hurtful remarks. But wanting cuts (or simply wanting to discuss them) and preferring first (or third) party characters are simply not inherently harmful opinions or topics of discussion; if anything, crying wolf and shutting them down every time they are brought up is the exact opposite of the inclusivity we'd like to achieve in here (even if the intent is not ill).

Also, I don't know if it's fair in a public forum to push people into ultimatums. That can make even very well-meaning people pretty uncomfortable and honestly achieves very little since it's a public forum and nobody is obligated to respond to you, which means them not responding doesn't necessarily mean anything.

FazDude

Smash Master
It’s not the opinion that makes you a bigot. It’s the refusal to even acknowledge the history of bigotry.

SmashChu wouldn’t have gotten the foothold he did if people in the community didn’t protect him. Just because he wrote a source gaming article saying Cloud and Corrin should be cut people defended him. Everyone is saying that’s bad. The problem is that he was a beast created in that post Smash 4 environment, which rn there are similarities too. I have stressed throughout this that not everyone on this site it a bigot: I’d like to think most people on the site aren’t. But there was enough toleration for bigotry specifically on that Nintendo All Stars/Purge the undesirables crowd that SmashChu stayed around.

My issue is not that it was the pro cuts crowd that supported him: if it was say the Crash support thread that was backing him you can bet I’d be icier towards Crash, whose in my top 5 most wanted characters. It’s the fact they supported him at all. Enough people decided they were ok with him he got to stick around longer than he should have.

What I want right now is for people to make sure that doesn’t ever happen again. Even if cuts talk is something that sticks around, I want to never have to risk such bigotry getting entrenched in there again. I’d prefer if it was due to people standing up and pushing against it. But I’ve seen already there’s enough tribalism that people might just support “their team” and choose to back a SmashChu 2.0 in spite of the damage it can cause. I’m going to be icy towards cuts talk so long as there’s a chance that a SmachChu 2.0 could cause even more damage if they embrace him, no matter how hated they are by most of the community.
I understand your viewpoint; I wasn't around when SmashChu was around, so I'm not sure how much of a foothold on cut talk they had, but if it was as severe as I'm led to believe by your statements, I totally understand being concerned that someone like them might pop up again. Like I said, I'm all for reducing bigotry on the boards.

That said, I'm still not fond of your approach to this all. Yes, bigotry is a problem and shouldn't be ignored, but calling anyone who disagrees with you a bigot isn't the way to go about it. I believe people wanting to move on from this topic wish to do so not because of bigotry and moreso because they want to keep the thread on-topic, and suggesting otherwise doesn't really bolster your argument. There are places on this site to discuss this sort of thing, but I don't think this should be one of them.

That said, this is the last I'll say about this. I think we should be able to discuss cuts and out bigots at the same time - We cannot allow them to have any kind of foothold that hampers discussion of them.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Can we not personally attack people here and call them names please? This is beyond ridiculous at this point. No one here is being bigoted from what I’ve seen. Throwing out personal insults just because they disagree with the way you’re acting and refusing to go along with your game is more toxic than anything else I’ve seen here in a while. Just drop it already.
If they have the option to denounce bigotry and choose not to, they are defending bigotry. It’s not name calling.

Asking something as simple as “say the history of bigotry on this site is wrong” is the smallest of asks. I don’t care if you agree or disagree with me. It’s a small ask to get someone to say that’s bad.

I understand your viewpoint; I wasn't around when SmashChu was around, so I'm not sure how much of a foothold on cut talk they had, but if it was as severe as I'm led to believe by your statements, I totally understand being concerned that someone like them might pop up again. Like I said, I'm all for reducing bigotry on the boards.

That said, I'm still not fond of your approach to this all. Yes, bigotry is a problem and shouldn't be ignored, but calling anyone who disagrees with you a bigot isn't the way to go about it. I doubt people wanting to move on from this topic wish to do so not because of bigotry and moreso because they want to keep the thread on-topic, and suggesting otherwise doesn't really bolster your argument. There are places on this site to discuss this sort of thing, but I don't think this should be one of them.

That said, this is the last I'll say about this.
The only two people I have called a bigot had the option to say they weren’t and actively chose not to.

No one is a bigot for supporting cuts talk automatically. I have said that countless times. But the environment that it produced led to an out and out white supremacist getting a foothold in the community. So long as that environment is the way it is and people would dig in their heels to support someone on “their team”, there is always a risk of something like that happening again. That’s something everyone wants to avoid.

I would prefer it not happen due to people recognizing and being more proactive vs bigotry, but today has not left me confident in that. The fact Nabbitfan, despite having two opportunities to simply say “yes bigotry is wrong” and chose instead to call me names just shows me how easy it would be for SmashChu 2.0 to show up and radicalize people.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
What about victory themes for everybody's MW? For mines:

Hayabusa - A sample from Unbreakable Determination from the NES Ninja Gaiden
Kunio and Riki - Mission Complete theme from Renegade (most recent remix is from Super Dodgeball Advance)
Doom Slayer - Intermission theme from the 1993 Doom (constantly loops like both Cloud and Joker's themes)
Billy and Jimmy - Mission Complete theme from Double Dragon 2 (remix taken directly from DD Neon)

FazDude

Smash Master

Kunio and Riki - Mission Complete theme from Renegade (most recent remix is from Super Dodgeball Advance)
Doom Slayer - Intermission theme from the 1993 Doom (constantly loops like both Cloud and Joker's themes)
Billy and Jimmy - Mission Complete theme from Double Dragon 2 (remix taken directly from DD Neon)
  • Waluigi: Probably his trophy ceremony theme from Mario Power Tennis.
  • Crash: An excerpt of the series' main theme.
  • Dr. Eggman: E.G.G.M.A.N.
  • Peppino: The rank jingle (preferably A-S rank, but P rank could be a cool easter egg)

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

For SpongeBob SquarePants, the final part of the intro. With the flute included.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

For some of my most wanted:

Heavy - The Team Fortress 2 win a match music
Reimu - A remix of Maiden's Capricco
Otto Matic: The High Score music

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Phoenix wright - I imagine it would be an arrangement of one of the various jingles throughout the series, which for those that have never played Ace Attorney these play at the end of chapters of the stories when Phoenix or any of the other playable lawyers take a break from the case to rest

Cybuster - The jingle that Bandai used to use for the series whenever you booted up a SRW game, this jingle kinda dissapeared from the series when Bandai was fully absorbed into Namco, but they used it again when they celebrated the franchise's 30th anniversary

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Estelle - The Trails In The Sky Victory Theme
Saber - The Victory Song from Grand Order

Laniv

Smash Champion

Realistically, my boy Toad would just get the normal Mario series victory theme, but I'd like him to have the Bowser Defeated fanfare, because that theme usually heralds finding one of his kind in the game.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

For the character named Rayman, I would like this.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Look at Snake's logo change for a good example.
Or even Final Fantasy's. It was the FF7 meteor in Smash 4, but became the more general FF in Ultimate.

who'd you prefer as an Assist Trophy for Tekken and FF7?
Chocobo and Yoshimitsu(doubles as SoulCalibur AT)

I think the Nintendo connection thing stopped being relevant with Joker.
It shouldn't. Persona is part of the MegaTen franchise, which has a long history with Nintendo.

Who should be upgraded?
Zero, Alucard, Bomberman, Shadow(to Echo)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Or even Final Fantasy's. It was the FF7 meteor in Smash 4, but became the more general FF in Ultimate.

Chocobo and Yoshimitsu(doubles as SoulCalibur AT)
The FF logo has always been an "FF"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The FF logo has always been an "FF"
Really? ...huh.

I would personally like a Mii Mage character.
Oh my, yes...

Aerith [Final Fantasy] (converted from Swordfighter)
Ashley [WarioWare] (converted from Swordfighter)
Lip [Panel de Pon] (converted from Swordfighter)
Veronica [Dragon Quest] (converted from Swordfighter)
Vince [Art Academy] (converted from Swordfighter)
Viridi [Kid Icarus] (converted from Swordfighter)
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Kamek [Super Mario Bros.]
FF Black Mage [Mario Sports Mix]
FF White Mage [Mario Sports Mix]
Reimu [Touhou]
Magus [Chrono Trigger]

what do you guys think of cutting minmin?
1692253556773.png

El Inglés es mi segundo idioma.
Yo puede hablar Español. Esa es mi lengua principal.
Nihongo wakaranai.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
20230801_113603.jpg

Damn what the hell happened here the last two pages lol
For the character named Rayman, I would like this.

I feel like it definitely needs to be that one, though ngl smash flash's take on his victory theme where it remakes the original Ubisoft logo is pretty great

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

For the Demi-Fiend, I'd want a Joker situation with victory themes from across the series.

The main one would be the Nocturne level up theme (and yes, it is this compressed in both the game and soundtrack):

And then the rest would be dependant on the song playing in the match. A couple of my favourites are:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace

Arle - The standard "win" jingle used in every modern Puyo Puyo installment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEw11cR2Fw
Tako - A remix of "Parodius Ondo", the title screen music from Parodius Da! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apAsjO3V9aY

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What about victory themes for everybody's MW?
Toad - just the regular mario series theme would be fine. although i wouldn't say no to a new version of it
Chibi-Robo - there's a tune that plays when he ranks up in the original game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncthGX-BEA&list=PLD991FF764DE5F903&index=45
Tails - the same jingle as sonic would be fine but i wouldn't say no to a tune with part of believe in myself in it

i'll be back with more in a little bit

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To clarify further, it was basically the opposite. The meteor thing started with the website appearing specifically for Ultimate.

I barely play the game these days, so I don't remember if the meteor appears inside Ultimate itself.

Ironically it would've worked just fine at the time to be a more dedicated logo to VII, heh. But I think more generic ones are better since it means they don't need to make a new one any time a newcomer comes along that isn't from the specific game the logo represents.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 376235
Damn what the hell happened here the last two pages lol

I feel like it definitely needs to be that one, though ngl smash flash's take on his victory theme where it remakes the original Ubisoft logo is pretty great

With Origins and Legends being some of my favorites I’m pretty keen on this one.
Followed by this looping at the results.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s just a few of my favorites:

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (The Battletoads)

Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)

Zero (Mega Man X)

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
King K Rool.

He’s gotta come back, right? After years of years of fan demand and even Nintendo admitting they were surprised at the reaction he got, they wouldn’t just cut him, right? There aren’t any rights issues tying him up, so they have no reason to just get rid of him…

R-Right?

Look my other main is Incineroar and that mf is absolutely getting axed for the next Pokémon. I need something.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
King K Rool.

He’s gotta come back, right? After years of years of fan demand and even Nintendo admitting they were surprised at the reaction he got, they wouldn’t just cut him, right? There aren’t any rights issues tying him up, so they have no reason to just get rid of him…

R-Right?

Look my other main is Incineroar and that mf is absolutely getting axed for the next Pokémon. I need something.
Better hope those rumors of a new DK are true...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
King K Rool.

R-Right?

K. Rool, I think, is genuinely one of the safest Ultimate newcomers as far as odds of returning, even in the case of substantial cuts. A noted fan favorite and ballot topper, a fully unique moveset in a series with only three fighters, incredibly popular on a casual level as well (he's still all over the place online lol), and because he's first party there also wouldn't be rights issues.

Plus, for what it's worth, they know how much of a draw he is: if I remember correctly, he was the Ultimate newcomer that appeared in other newcomer trailers and promotional materials the most out of Ultimate's batch. They had him front and center on basically everything that wasn't the box art.

Genuinely, I think he's a mainstay from here on out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’d be a little disappointed if k.rool was cut, sure I don’t play as him much and didn’t really support him but his moveset is fun. plus he has one of the best final smashes

anyway I believe I said I’d give some more victory theme ideas

Professor Layton - I think an excerpt of his theme would work best. the puzzle clear jingle makes some sense but it’s kinda lacklustre

Phoenix Wright - the objection theme feels like the best option. though I suppose you could just have a crowd cheering like when you get not guilty

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
New Splatfest has been announced
I'm betting this is not only for the DLC, Side Order, but also for Smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just randomly had the thought that if they ever included a Gulty gear or Blazblu character in smash they would have the stage have an Arc system works start up instead of Xander mobus going "Ready go!" because of how much of a meme Arc system works battle intros are.

Phoenix Wright - the objection theme feels like the best option. though I suppose you could just have a crowd cheering like when you get not guilty
I think my idea works, since those jingles are what you hear when you beat section of the games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just randomly had the thought that if they ever included a Gulty gear or Blazblu character in smash they would have the stage have an Arc system works start up instead of Xander mobus going "Ready go!" because of how much of a meme Arc system works battle intros are.

I think my idea works, since those jingles are what you hear when you beat section of the games.
I suppose so

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yeah, I think that would be really cool. Guilty Gears’ “Heaven or Hell” is pretty memorable. I’d love for the next Smash to go with a graphical style like ArcSystemworks’ fighting games with the cel shaded look. I think those are some of the coolest looking games out there. The models almost look like high end spites or hand drawn graphics. If nothing else, it would be fun to at least do that for Sol Badguy or other GG/BB character that might get in along with Toon Link.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I think that would be really cool. Guilty Gears’ “Heaven or Hell” is pretty memorable. I’d love for the next Smash to go with a graphical style like ArcSystemworks’ fighting games with the cel shaded look. I think those are some of the coolest looking games out there. The models almost look like high end spites or hand drawn graphics. If nothing else, it would be fun to at least do that for Sol Badguy or other GG/BB character that might get in along with Toon Link.
Yeah cel shading is neat

Top Bottom