• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So this literally JUST came out, so I'm not sure how truthful it is, but I felt I should share it anyway:

FWIW, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo delayed a Direct due to IRL events...
Yeah but they were considerably worse events

Ivander

Smash Legend
So this literally JUST came out, so I'm not sure how truthful it is, but I felt I should share it anyway:

FWIW, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo delayed a Direct due to IRL events...
Probably because IIHC, her funeral will be in around 10 days, so aside from the news of the Queen's death, everybody will likely focus on her when her funeral comes, so it would more than certainly overshadow any other news around then.

Edit: Regardless, RIP.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably because IIHC, her funeral will be in around 10 days, so aside from the news of the Queen's death, everybody will likely focus on her when her funeral comes, so it would more than certainly overshadow any other news around then.

Edit: Regardless, RIP.
Are you English by any chance?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are you English by any chance?
Nope. Canadian.

Regardless, I saw the news being discussed on other places and when someone asked about the rumoured direct being around the 12th and in regards to the news of the Queen's death, there were a couple answers where someone mentioned about her funeral going to be taking place not too long, with one mentioning it being in around 10 days.

And if by any chance I'm being asked if I'm English in regards to the Queen's past and present actions, moral compass and whatnot, I do not like being disrespectful in regards to someone's death in general and I certainly dislike the tone of being thankful. One because it only encourages the worst to come out of people and two, there's honestly no point since it doesn't affect the dead. And I'm aware it's a sour subject in the Social right now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nope. Canadian.

Regardless, I saw the news being discussed on other places and when someone asked about the rumoured direct being around the 12th and in regards to the news of the Queen's death, there were a couple answers where someone mentioned about her funeral going to be taking place not too long, with one mentioning it being in around 10 days.

And if by any chance I'm being asked if I'm English in regards to the Queen's past and present actions, moral compass and whatnot, I do not like being disrespectful in regards to someone's death in general and I certainly dislike the tone of being thankful. One because it only encourages the worst to come out of people and two, there's honestly no point since it doesn't affect the dead. And I'm aware it's a sour subject in the Social right now.
Alright then. Personally I don’t see why Nintendo would. If they were a uk company certainly

I actually I asked cause I didn’t think anyone outside of England would have treated this any different than any other celebrity death.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Alright then. Personally I don’t see why Nintendo would. If they were a uk company certainly

I actually I asked cause I didn’t think anyone outside of England would have treated this any different than any other celebrity death.
Nintendo would care because the West is still a market. If alot of the West is focused on big IRL things that happened, it'd make sense for Nintendo to wait until the big things are no longer taking so much attention. Also the fact that Japan recently lost one of their biggest leaders this year as well probably factors in too, since it wasn't long ago when he died.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About recent events and gaming and all that, Advance Wars was finished right, and the Ukraine war isn't as much as a news headline anymore. Will the game ever release ? Cause honestly, if it gets postponed because of real life warfare it might never see daylight, a world without war lol, almost unimaginable....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo would care because the West is still a market. If alot of the West is focused on big IRL things that happened, it'd make sense for Nintendo to wait until the big things are no longer taking so much attention. Also the fact that Japan recently lost one of their biggest leaders this year as well probably factors in too, since it wasn't long ago when he died.
if they do delay it cause of that it'd be a bit peculiar and seem like they may be over thinking it. but i'm not sure this would really affect most of the western market sure maybe they'll report it on the news but that'll be it. of course here in the uk every channel will be broadcasting the funeral. except bbc scoland and alaba obviously

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
if they do delay it cause of that it'd be a bit peculiar and seem like they may be over thinking it. but i'm not sure this would really affect most of the western market sure maybe they'll report it on the news but that'll be it. of course here in the uk every channel will be broadcasting the funeral. except bbc scoland and alaba obviously
Dude, she was the head of Commonwealth of Nations, a 56 country alliance. That one even includes a few big ones, like Australia, Canada, and India.

Also don't forget that the Queen is also a major pollical figure even outside of them. Even though the US isn't one of the Commonwealth, we're still flying our flags half-mast in honor of her.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dude, she was the head of Commonwealth of Nations, a 56 country alliance. That one even includes a few big ones, like Australia, Canada, and India.

Also don't forget that the Queen is also a major pollical figure even outside of them. Even though the US isn't one of the Commonwealth, we're still flying our flags half-mast in honor of her.
Considering what the royal family actually does head of common wealth is more of a symbolic title. Like the united in United Kingdom

Yes alright you guys got your independence from England dont rub it

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Granted this is all dependent on the idea that Direct is/was planned for next week, but color me skeptical about a delay due to the Queen's passing.

While Nintendo is certainly sensitive to significant current events and tragedies, this feels far enough removed from the context that its hard to imagine there's be much blowback for having a Direct next week or that (besides Britain and a some parts of the commonwealth nations) that Elizabeth's death will so thoroughly dominate the news cycle that a presentation video will get too ignored. Realistically, North America and Japan are some of the most significant markets for them and such a prominent death in the royal family is not going to be at the forefront of the minds of most of their targeted audience. That's not even getting into that there's a decent chance that some of the announcements might tie into things at the Tokyo Game show which is even less likely to be delayed.

An edit/adjustment of the presentation in light of the news is entirely possible, but that's relatively easy to do with the time they have.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Granted this is all dependent on the idea that Direct is/was planned for next week, but color me skeptical about a delay due to the Queen's passing.

While Nintendo is certainly sensitive to significant current events and tragedies, this feels far enough removed from the context that its hard to imagine there's be much blowback for having a Direct next week or that (besides Britain and a some parts of the commonwealth nations) that Elizabeth's death will so thoroughly dominate the news cycle that a presentation video will get too ignored. Realistically, North America and Japan are some of the most significant markets for them and such a prominent death in the royal family is not going to be at the forefront of the minds of most of their targeted audience.That's not even getting into that there's a decent chance that some of the announcements might tie into things at the Tokyo Game show which is even less likely to be delayed.

An edit/adjustment of the presentation in light of the news is entirely possible, but that's relatively easy to do with the time they have.
Yeah, Tokyo Game Show is definitely not getting significantly affected by this, it could affect viewership, but the event otherwise doesn't have problems because the main audience is Japan.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
About recent events and gaming and all that, Advance Wars was finished right, and the Ukraine war isn't as much as a news headline anymore. Will the game ever release ? Cause honestly, if it gets postponed because of real life warfare it might never see daylight, a world without war lol, almost unimaginable....
It's not going to be postponed forever. When it was being developed, there were wars going on. They just weren't at the forefront of global headlines. Once they feel it's a comfortable distance from the war in Ukraine, and assuming nothing else in that vein to that mindshare transpires, it'll come out.

While Nintendo is certainly sensitive to significant current events and tragedies, this feels far enough removed from the context that its hard to imagine there's be much blowback for having a Direct next week or that (besides Britain and a some parts of the commonwealth nations) that Elizabeth's death will so thoroughly dominate the news cycle that a presentation video will get too ignored. Realistically, North America and Japan are some of the most significant markets for them and such a prominent death in the royal family is not going to be at the forefront of the minds of most of their targeted audience. That's not even getting into that there's a decent chance that some of the announcements might tie into things at the Tokyo Game show which is even less likely to be delayed.

The claim does seem a bit of a leap, but under the assumption that it is actually true, Nintendo (or the third-parties) could always do solo reveals of what was planned to be revealed that will then be featured at TGS, if there's an obligation to get it out before the trade show.

Of course it still may show up in the Direct as well considering there are often contracts to honor.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, given that various companies like Marvel/Disney are doing video showcases right now, I'm even more inclined to believe a Direct is likely not being delayed.

Speaking of showcases, as a longtime fan of Disney platformers, this is a wonderful sight:

It being titled Illusion Island as a possible reference to the classic Illusion games of the 16 bit era makes me even more excited.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, given that various companies like Marvel/Disney are doing video showcases right now, I'm even more inclined to believe a Direct is likely not being delayed.

Speaking of showcases, as a longtime fan of Disney platformers, this is a wonderful sight:

It being titled Illusion Island as a possible reference to the classic Illusion games of the 16 bit era makes me even more excited.
F yeah those games were some of my favorite they were fun and quite impressive looking and controlled well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

looks like it could be fun though i've never watched the series it appears to be based on

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
F yeah those games were some of my favorite they were fun and quite impressive looking and controlled well.
Castle of Illusion gets a lot of praise and deservedly so, but World of Illusion felt even more special to me. The graphics, the replay value of the gameplay (different levels depending on if you played as Mickey, Donald, or did co-op with both) and the music, oh man the music.

Sega and Disney worked wonders with that Genesis soundchip.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But those were the *****y ones! The Magical Quest games on the SNES were the good ones!

Anyway, it's cool that it seems based on the recent cartoon shorts. Those were pretty good.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
But those were the *****y ones! The Magical Quest games on the SNES were the good ones!

Anyway, it's cool that it seems based on the recent cartoon shorts. Those were pretty good.
Agree to disagree. the Magical Quest trilogy was solid, but Capcom Disney games seemed to lack that little extra the Illusion series had, specifically Castle and World. In the grand scheme there's no real wrong answer (like Genesis Aladdin vs. SNES Aladdin); its just in this case my heart belongs to Sega.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
i am curious why did they change :ultsnake: Down smash into some lame kick it was one of the most unique down smash out there in brawl
I never really used it because it was kind of a unique circumstance it'd be useful and with DACUS his range made it less optimal but I still loved it for it's platform setups. But because I didn't use it much I'm not used to using dsmash with snake in Ultimate so it's a move that seems more useful than the original but because I didn't use it much before it goes unused much now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
i am curious why did they change :ultsnake: Down smash into some lame kick it was one of the most unique down smash out there in brawl
Because with Ultimate's game play, two C4 like moves would have been hell to deal with. I think the change was a balance decision.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Rayman is Back Baby!

You have to think Rayman being a focus in a Mario game will be a big big boost to his chances. Hope this gives Rayman the boost he needs in popularity to having "Smashing" good future.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Psst, Rayman for Smash fans, while I'm not saying this'll help his chances, I think it proves Nintendo is at least willing to consider:

This is cool, but I don't think it's particularly shocking Nintendo didn't protest Ubisoft sticking their own character in their own game which takes place partly in his universe.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Psst, Rayman for Smash fans, while I'm not saying this'll help his chances, I think it proves Nintendo is at least willing to consider:

This does slightly interest me. Not exactly hyped about DLC rounds, but at least it seems like a smart business strategy to add someone people would like to see in their crossover game.

Although... isn't this announcement Direct material? Because that concerns me more.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Although... isn't this announcement Direct material? Because that concerns me more.
NateDrake and Grubb are both pretty reliable. If the start of next week comes and goes without an announcement, then panic would be a bit more warranted.

Plus I'm sure there's still other stuff they can showcase of this game in the Direct, if they want.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean the bulk of Mario + Rabbits news (both the previous game and its sequel) have taken placed at Ubisoft style events, so getting this news now followed by a small bit of footage in a Direct next week would hardly be surprising.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Realistically the next Smash game still isn't happening for quite a while, and we've seen numerous times that just because a character or their series gets the spotlight doesn't automatically mean they're guaranteed to be playable.

... but **** it I don't care RAYMAN'S BACK BAYBEE WOO I'M GONNA WILL HIS SMASH 6 REVEAL INTO EXISTENCE YOU CAN'T STOP ME

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the first invasion force you fight a Russian-inspired military? I'm pretty sure that's the actual problem and not some generalized skittishness regarding the parallel between modern warfare and a strategy game based around that very same concept.

Don't care about Queen at all and I think that family are a rotten bunch of elitist clowns and criminals.
This video illustrates this topic extremely well in less than 5 minutes of the various balance considerations involved. I'd personally love for the work to be reused somehow for a different character. I believe in Project M they were going to give Sami from Advanced Wars all of Snake's unused material (they changed a coupled of his attacks) for her moveset.

If Master Chief ever got into Smash I think he'd be the perfect character to reuse this work. In Halo 3 they introduced landmines to the game so I imagine that Master Chief's potential Down-Smash could be him setting up one of those landmines! I think it'd be perfect actually.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The only way that fakeout could work is if we were still getting Smash characters as DLC, the actual Smash trailer followed shortly afterward, and such a swerve was for a game a bit more popular than the one that actually turned off some fans from both series it was crossing over. Super Mario Odyssey 2 would be a huge game to announce and even then I still wouldn't disguise its reveal with a faux Smash trailer, let alone trying it with TMS2.
Something like:
1) New main protagonist lefts the Switch on a desk.
2) The console has some sort of magic malfunction.
3) Itsuki or any other character finds the console and sucks the heck out of it into the World of Super Smash Bros.
4) Tease discreetly a third Fighter Pass.

Not sure if the glitch causes that the SSB characters come to the TMS World and do a Sonic X, but you have the point.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Can I just say that I loving the Megaman Battle Network references and crossover arts happening with Armarouge and Ceruledge? Really great to see all the Battle Network love erupting from their reveal.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion

I think Rayman could have been in as far back as Smash 4....as a playable character, that is.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Realistically the next Smash game still isn't happening for quite a while, and we've seen numerous times that just because a character or their series gets the spotlight doesn't automatically mean they're guaranteed to be playable.

... but **** it I don't care RAYMAN'S BACK BAYBEE WOO I'M GONNA WILL HIS SMASH 6 REVEAL INTO EXISTENCE YOU CAN'T STOP ME
This isn't just the regular spotlight though. Dude literally in a crossover with Nintendo's main mascot which not a lot of characters can pull off (Even Sonic, the main rival struggled to do this result in Olympics). All this does is to strengthen Ubisoft's connections with Nintendo even more than more with now Rayman in the mix.

It helps greatly too that this DLC was possible mostly due to fan demand with being implied in Soliani's interviews which Nintendo must've seen themselves.

I'm not saying it's a lock as Smash 6 is still a long time away but still, it does bode well for his chances.

The main issue is to keep on that momentum which the shaky part.

Top Bottom