• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This tbh is disrespect towards cannabis.

Anyway, a Direct is about time. The 101th one without a new Donkey Kong.
I love DK but I’ve given up hyping myself up for a new game. It will happen when it happens and I can get excited then.

On Pokemon, I’m admittedly biased because it’s among my favorite Pokemon but the more I think about it, the more Zoroark/Hisuian Zoroark seems like the most likely choice. It got its own mini series of animated shorts. It was the Pokemon chosen as the bonus for buying the DLC which had Happy Hour to let the player grind for more money, thus incentivizing people to use it all the time. Finally, Gen 5 are the next most logical remakes which might coincide with the next Smash game. True, Sakurai would likely have no direct knowledge of the remakes beforehand but it doesn’t take much to see that it’s next in line. We’ll see what happens though and I could always be wrong.

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I think at this point we're for certain on getting another smash. With Sakurai putting a pause on his youtube channel, and Studio S and the Job Description regarding a 2D action game, alongside rumors of the new console being announced this years, the stars align to be honest.

So I know there' been talk on whether Smash 6 would be a reboot or EiH 2.0 but what about the potential game modes we could see again? Personally I'm hoping we get smash run but ultimately a new story mode in the vein of Subspace Emissary. It's not that I hated world of light but it was just battles and not many cutscenes. I know Sakurai expressed his thoughts on the matter when those cutscenes got leaked online but perhaps this could be used to entice players who may find the roster being cut being sour about it.

Any thoughts?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This tbh is disrespect towards cannabis.

Anyway, a Direct is about time. The 101th one without a new Donkey Kong.
Sorry, I did not mean to be disrespectful to anyone. Still, aren’t weed and cannabis two different thi-nah, it probably matters not.

Still, forgive me. I come from a family with no drug addicts, yet we make jokes like these all the time. I thought it would be safe here.

So, I wonder what will be in the next Direct?

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
On Pokemon, I’m admittedly biased because it’s among my favorite Pokemon but the more I think about it, the more Zoroark/Hisuian Zoroark seems like the most likely choice. It got its own mini series of animated shorts. It was the Pokemon chosen as the bonus for buying the DLC which had Happy Hour to let the player grind for more money, thus incentivizing people to use it all the time. Finally, Gen 5 are the next most logical remakes which might coincide with the next Smash game. True, Sakurai would likely have no direct knowledge of the remakes beforehand but it doesn’t take much to see that it’s next in line. We’ll see what happens though and I could always be wrong.

As much as I want to believe, if Gen X is even in pre-preproduction by the time the next smash is choosing a roster then it's gonna be whatever mon they wanna push from that gen. No way they're missing out on a round number celebration like that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I think at this point we're for certain on getting another smash. With Sakurai putting a pause on his youtube channel, and Studio S and the Job Description regarding a 2D action game, alongside rumors of the new console being announced this years, the stars align to be honest.

So I know there' been talk on whether Smash 6 would be a reboot or EiH 2.0 but what about the potential game modes we could see again? Personally I'm hoping we get smash run but ultimately a new story mode in the vein of Subspace Emissary. It's not that I hated world of light but it was just battles and not many cutscenes. I know Sakurai expressed his thoughts on the matter when those cutscenes got leaked online but perhaps this could be used to entice players who may find the roster being cut being sour about it.

Any thoughts?
I completely agree. While it had its flaws, I still loved SSE and it gave me something fun to do cooperatively with my friend and brother. It was great seeing the characters interact with each other even if the actual plot could have been a bit more interesting. Finally, I loved that it played up the platforming aspect of its genre, something that many of the more recent stages seem to be moving away from.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Any thoughts?
I want an adventure mode like Subspace (platforming-focused and whatnot) but I'm personally hoping for more tightly-designed stages.

My dream Smash story mode involves fighters being pulled from their home worlds and into the Smash world (basically that canyon area you always see in the trailers). Before a character is introduced to the Smash world, you get to play one or two stages with them that are genuinely tailored for their movement and abilities, just like a Break the Targets stage in Melee. That way, even once they join the Smash world an join a party with other characters (basically necessitating a more lenient/general stage design) you still feel like you're getting a lot more meaningfully-designed stages to go through.

Also, cutscenes. Not Subspace cutscenes with the non-existent dialogue and awkward storytelling, and not post-intro World of Light cutscenes that seemingly deliberately avoid showing the actual characters in favor of the two big bads in the sky shooting lasers at each other or whatever. I want a new style of cutscenes that embrace character interaction and make use of the wide crossover that Smash Bros is. The closest comparison I can make is WoL's opening (the only good cutscene in that mode) where characters are shown talking to each other and using their abilities. THAT was something special.

For crying out loud, the scene where Sonic tries saving Pikachu lasts no more than two seconds, but it spawned so much awesome fanart from that little moment alone. People want interactions, and I'm sorry but the whole "we don't make cutscenes anymore because le internet spoils them" thing is a really petty excuse for not making the pantheon of famous video game characters in your crossover game actually interact in ways that don't involve socking one another in the face.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Any thoughts?
Where is the talk for Everyone is Here 2 coming from? I don’t see that as likely.

But yeah, I would like a new adventure mode like The Subspace Emissary, with more characters and more character interactions.

Smash Run would be good, too.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Where is the talk for Everyone is Here 2 coming from? I don’t see that as likely.

But yeah, I would like a new adventure mode like The Subspace Emissary, with more characters and more character interactions.

Smash Run would be good, too.
Mainly websites such as Twitter (or X) and Reddit. I get people are scared of losing third-parties and older first-parties, but it’s kind of inevitable.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I know a lot of people tend to treat clones as ‘wasted slots’, but it is hard to deny that they will likely come every game.

Every Smash game has had clones in one way or another, are there any clones/semi-clones that may have a shot getting into a new Smash Bros.?

Noipoi

Howdy!
This again!? 😕
Is more factible that Dragon Ball's Goku got a spirit in Smash Ultimate, than the mythical Switch successor having a proper reveal this year.
grindon.png

You sure about that?

You 100% absolutely positively certain that there's no way we could see the next Nintendo console this year? 7 years after the Switch?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Some interesting news from GameIndustry which suggests Nintendo's been meeting with various independent developers to potentially work on Nintendo IP's

Long overdue, and there's loads of smaller IP's that could use a semi-dedicated studio to work on them. Give something like Ice Climbers to a smaller studio, see what they can do, and you might get a modestly well performing series that with new elements that might be reflected in Smash some day.
finally...
Hogan's Alley remake by CD Projekt.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I love DK but I’ve given up hyping myself up for a new game. It will happen when it happens and I can get excited then.
I think people are looking at DK in a shortsighted way insofar as Nintendo clearly has plans stemming years into the future for the IP via the theme park and probable movies, so they're going to want their big DK revival on the system that will actually be current for those years instead of throwing it out while the Switch has mere months on the market before the spotlight leaves it for a younger, sleeker console.

I mean when little Timmy goes to the theme park or watches the DK movie in like 2026, and then comes home and wants the DK game, it being on a current system means it's easier and more likely to actually get bought.

That said, your mentality is still a good one. No use expending energy raising expectations until you actually see the thing.

NINTENDO👏SWITCH👏IS👏ETERNAL
bookmark'd

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some interesting news from GameIndustry.biz which suggests Nintendo's been meeting with various independent developers to potentially work on Nintendo IP's.

Long overdue, and there's loads of smaller IP's that could use a semi-dedicated studio to work on them. Give something like Ice Climbers to a smaller studio, see what they can do, and you might get a modestly well performing series that with new elements that might be reflected in Smash some day.
come on chibi

Ivander

Smash Legend
Some interesting news from GameIndustry.biz which suggests Nintendo's been meeting with various independent developers to potentially work on Nintendo IP's.

Recently, Nintendo has worked with:
  • ArcSys with Another Code
  • Mages(formally 5pb. Inc.) with The Famicom Detective Club Collection.
  • WayForward with Advance Wars 1+2 Re-boot Camp
  • ArtePiazza with the Super Mario RPG Remake
  • Eighting did do a couple Nintendo games early on with Kururin and Master of Illusion, but didn't work with Nintendo again for a long time until Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Pikmin 4 recently.
Alongside the amount of projects that Bandai Namco has been helping with, working with Platinum Games with Star Fox Zero, The Wonderful 101, Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2, 3 and Origins, working with Koei Tecmo with the Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors games, working with Mercury Steam with the Samus Returns Remake and Metroid Dread, and working with Grezzo for the 3D Remakes of Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask, Tri-Force Heroes, Ever Oasis, Miitopia and the Link's Awakening remake. Then there's also the developer who made Crypt of the Necrodancer making a Zelda-themed version.

It has become quite clear that Nintendo has been opening up to other companies making games for them, including their own IPs, so it's not surprising that Nintendo would be meeting with other developers who might be open to making a game for them and/or for one of their IPs. Quite curious to see who they may get on board.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't rule out Everyone is Here happening again.
For starters, it's probably still the best-received announcement in the history of the series, only rivaled by Brawl's first trailer.
And second, I'm sorry but I need to be controversial: those "rebooted" rosters you see flying around, with 50 something characters, of which the vast majority are still veterans and 7-8 at most are newcomers... Well those rosters are super lame.
I just can't see how losing 40 characters to gain 7-8 would be appealing to the vast majority of Ultimate players. Doubly so now that the omega fan-requested characters well has begun to run dry. If you want to reduce the roster down to 50 characters, at least 20 need to be newcomers, come on. It's just not worth it otherwise.

The only way I can see that kind of cutdown become well received is if the game has a new, fresh hook - and not just an Adventure mode, I'm thinking about something that really changes up the core gameplay, like fighting on multiple lanes or the control scheme completely changing.
If the core gameplay instead stays the same, gutting the roster (and most likely the stage list too) like that would just result in basically playing the same game, but with less content, and a majority of that content still being old content anyways - which I bet would not really be all that appealing to a majority of fans.

In short I think there's two possibile routes: if they've come up with a major shake-up to the core gameplay, I can see major cuts happen. If it's going to stay more or less the same, though, yeah I'm not sure if they'll manage to bring back "everyone" everyone, but a vast majority of the Ultimate cast will stay imo.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
What do you mean long overdue, Nintendo does this all the time. They worked with MercurySteam, Mages, WayForward, ILCA, Brace Yourself, Velan, ArtePiazza, Arika, and Eighting just on the Switch. All of those devs are free agents.

This claim is cool and all but it's not really news. Nintendo regularly works with outside devs. They have talks with even more than just those where a finished product actually comes from it. I bet you they're in discussions with way more than just three devs to collaborate.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What do you mean long overdue, Nintendo does this all the time. They worked with MercurySteam, Mages, WayForward, ILCA, Brace Yourself, Velan, ArtePiazza, Arika, and Eighting just on the Switch. All of those devs are free agents.

This claim is cool and all but it's not really news. Nintendo regularly works with outside devs. They have talks with even more than just those where a finished product actually comes from it. I bet you they're in discussions with way more than just three devs to collaborate.
Long overdue in the sense that there are still various IP's that could use a revival via having small and dedicated studios to them. Even with Nintendo's efforts in the Switch era, it's something could have been embraced even earlier than that and as stated, stuff like Golden Sun is an IP long in need of having a solid team work on it.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Long overdue in the sense that there are still various IP's that could use a revival via having small and dedicated studios to them. Even with Nintendo's efforts in the Switch era, it's something could have been embraced even earlier than that and as stated, stuff like Golden Sun is an IP long in need of having a solid team work on it.
Sure there are a lot of IPs it'd be nice to see come back but there's nothing stopping all three of these devs being in discussion for Mario games or some mix of three already active IPs.

Like, this isn't anything out of the ordinary, it doesn't suddenly mean these are necessarily for small niche series in need of revivals. It's possible, it's the likeliest way some IPs would return, and hoping is cool, but it's still not something to hang your hat on regarding a specific IP. It should be assumed Nintendo is always actively talking with outside devs to collaborate. This isn't really a revelation.

Maybe if we knew which devs they were, that could give us a better guess, but as it stands now, again, this isn't really news. It's like saying he's heard three titles Nintendo is seriously considering remaking/remastering. I mean, of course they are.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sure there are a lot of IPs it'd be nice to see come back but there's nothing stopping all three of these devs being in discussion for Mario games or some mix of three already active IPs.

Like, this isn't anything out of the ordinary, it doesn't suddenly mean these are necessarily for small niche series in need of revivals. It's possible, it's the likeliest way some IPs would return, and hoping is cool, but it's still not something to hang your hat on regarding a specific IP. It should be assumed Nintendo is always actively talking with outside devs to collaborate. This isn't really a revelation.

Maybe if we knew which devs they were, that could give us a better guess, but as it stands now, again, this isn't really news. It's like saying he's heard three titles Nintendo is seriously considering remaking/remastering. I mean, of course they are.
I think within the context of the likely next console release this year and how gradually the use of outside parties for Nintendo IP's has ratcheted up, it might potentially suggest that trend could go even further.

It's an agree to disagree situation; I think its semi-notable, you don't seem to, and that's okay.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
thoughts ?

8 gigs of Ram and 64 Gigabytes of storage in 2024 would absolutely be a Nintendo move.

Say, has anybody heard that rumor about Nintendo Selects coming back? Anybody know anything about that?
I assume you are talking about the rumor with all of those games potentially going out of print?

It seems to be mostly theorizing. but since Nintendo never announces when a game goes out of print we have no idea If they are or not. But the games that are going out of print (2017-early 2020 games) they all make sense for Nintendo Selects, the only real outliers are Fire Emblem Engage and a few Scattered 2021-2022 games which seem to new to be discontinued.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
If anything, I think the reason it's getting attention isn't so much that they are still trying to work with outside devs, but who they might get as an outside dev. Cause I think most people would pop-off or be very intrigued if we suddenly got an announcement for a Nintendo game being developed by someone quite notable like FromSoftware.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I think within the context of the likely next console release this year and how gradually the use of outside parties for Nintendo IP's has ratcheted up, it might potentially suggest that trend could go even further.

It's an agree to disagree situation; I think its semi-notable, you don't seem to, and that's okay.
If anything, I think the reason it's getting attention isn't so much that they are still trying to work with outside devs, but who they might get as an outside dev. Cause I think most people would pop-off or be very intrigued if we suddenly got an announcement for a Nintendo game being developed by someone quite notable like FromSoftware.
But my point is that this isn't a change in how anything works. The likelihood of who Nintendo was going to work with, and the likeliness of which IPs might get brought back is the same today as it would've been yesterday, because this isn't anything but the status quo. Of course these talks take place.

This is just the affirmation of something already implicit, but people are magnifying as if it were revelatory. I understand why it would prompt speculation, and sharing your dream collab/revival is cool, but from a practical sense, this doesn't make the things which were thought of as unlikely any likelier.

If we had any info to narrow down candidates, that would be news. That could point in a certain direction. Or if the number of devs he'd heard this from was unprecedented. This is just stating Nintendo continues to operate as they have operated in the past. With any suggestion, it's like, yeah it could be that, but nothing has actually changed to make that outcome more likely than it was before. We haven't gained any knowledge that shouldn't already be implicit.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
But my point is that this isn't a change in how anything works. The likelihood of who Nintendo was going to work with, and the likeliness of which IPs might get brought back is the same today as it would've been yesterday, because this isn't anything but the status quo. Of course these talks take place.

This is just the affirmation of something already implicit, but people are magnifying as if it were revelatory. I understand why it would prompt speculation, and sharing your dream collab/revival is cool, but from a practical sense, this doesn't make the things which were thought of as unlikely any likelier.

If we had any info to narrow down candidates, that would be news. That could point in a certain direction. Or if the number of devs he'd heard this from was unprecedented. This is just stating Nintendo continues to operate as they have operated in the past. With any suggestion, it's like, yeah it could be that, but nothing has actually changed to make that outcome more likely than it was before. We haven't gained any knowledge that shouldn't already be implicit.
I said my piece already. We're interpreting this story differently and I understand your arguments, I just don't entirely agree with them. This not being classified as news to you is an entirely fair viewpoint.

As far as Everyone is Here 2 happening again that may just come down to the practical argument of Nintendo's overall business strategy vs. Sakurai and company's (or whoever replaces him) creative concepts. The former seems fairly respectful of a lot of what the latter's ideas and general vision are, so they could very have enough confidence in the brand to consider some cuts as being a reasonable cost if the next form of Smash is reasonably exciting/interesting enough.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I said my piece already. We're interpreting this story differently and I understand your arguments, I just don't entirely agree with them. This not being classified as news to you is an entirely fair viewpoint.

As far as Everyone is Here 2 happening again that may just come down to the practical argument of Nintendo's overall business strategy vs. Sakurai and company (or whoever replaces him) creative concepts. The former seems fairly respectful of a lot of what the latter's ideas and general vision, so they could very have enough confidence in the brand to consider some cuts as being a reasonable cost to whatever the next form of Smash is.
This following post is not directed to you, but the other guy. (as I do understand where you are coming from, and I do not think this is not news) I don't think it is going to be a good idea to push your point of view here or at least continue to try and convince others otherwise. (In the possible case that the person I am talking to is doing that; that is just one out of many possible cases, but I will go with this one for now) I think it would be better to let it go. LiveStudioAudience said agree to disagree. What is wrong with his viewpoint, anyway?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In fairness, dream1ng dream1ng was just illustrating their points and explaining their POV on the matter. As I said, their arguments are entirely fair; I just don't think either one of us is necessarily going to be convinced of the other when it comes to the newsworthiness/notability of the story posted and given that the thread isn't likely to be improved by debates about one particular Nintendo website link, I just think it might be best to move on from the issue entirely.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
In fairness, dream1ng dream1ng was just illustrating their points and explaining their POV on the matter. As I said, their arguments are entirely fair; I just don't think either one of us is necessarily going to be convinced of the other's when it comes to the newsworthiness/notability of the link posted and given that the thread isn't likely to be improved by debates about one particular Nintendo website link I just think it might be best to move on from the issue entirely.
Thanks for that. I did say that was one possibility, and with that, the possibility I went with was just a just-in-case scenario. To you, LiveStudioAudience, though, I only said what I said because A. With past experience with him and what seemed to be going on here, he seems to not let things go easily (I could be wrong, though) and B. I was just trying to defend you, if in a way and not at the whole.

Top Bottom