• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
So, as much as this has already been brought up numerous times, what stages would you like to see in the next Smash Bros.?

EDIT: We have reached 900 pages!
The Yoshi series has a lot of fun platforms that I'd love to see adapted into a Smash stage. Namely, those rotating pinwheel platforms and those spiked platforms that flip when you hit their corresponding arrow block. I just want more creative elements from platformers to be put into Smash stages.

1703139766753.gif
1703139807673.png

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If you had to choose 5 mobile game reps for smash what will you choose?
  1. Gingerbrave (Cookie Run)
  2. Red (Angry Birds)
  3. Jake (Subway Surfers)
  4. Barry Steakfries (Jetpack Joyride)
  5. Cube (Geometry Dash)
I wish we can get a 2nd yoshi rep same goes to F-zero
My pick for a 2nd Yoshi rep would be Poochy himself.

For F-ZERO, someone like Bio-Rex or Deathborn or Black Shadow.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
While there is certainly no guarantee that the character we'd get instead would be somebody you particularly want and/or care about, I still agree with the overall sentiment. That a pure joke character would still be taking away resources from content that at least has some legitimate, thought-out reasons to be included beyond just "they'd be funny."
Like, it's one thing for them to seriously consider a bunch of at least arguably worthy candidates and at the end of it land on a choice that you disagree with or view as suboptimal, but investing significant and precious development resources into a completely non-serious choice would not sit well with me.
What I'm saying is that even if the character or content we'd get instead is ultimately not stuff I personally care about or even stuff I flat-out disagree with, I'd still prefer items that they at least made a serious effort to justify and had real motivations to include over, well, items without that.
And that's a very utilitarian response. Which makes sense for those with the responsibility of compiling the roster. Or trying to make actual predictions.

For the consumer, it's subjective. Where one might see a spot wasted, anyone who finds inclusions of that category to speak to them only infrequently, and enjoys at least some aspect of that character may find more value in that inclusion than gambling on a deck that seems stacked against their tastes.

Which is why the previous point made with which I contested wasn't "it's not smart to include Bubsy". It wasn't an objective claim. Even without the false promise of the spot otherwise being for someone you'd like, it was a claim as to how someone would feel, and that Bubsy is not the preferable character there. But if you prefer a dumb troll pick that amuses you over a potentially "worthy" but personally uninteresting addition, then that is the preferable character for you. It's your dollar.

I mean, do you want a character because they check the right boxes, or do you want them because you like them/their game? Do you wish for a character because they're likely or do you wish for them because something about them speaks to you? If you got a character you enjoy but wasn't a preferable use of resources, would you be upset? People like what they like. I'm usually happy for others when they get characters they want, but at the same time, those people aren't going to subsidize my copy. I would prefer the characters I prefer, I just know often they aren't realistic. But that's fine, your affinity doesn't have to be dictated by merit or the game's budget.

Same reason you can critique a prediction roster but it makes no sense to critique a wishlist. Not that Bubsy is on my wishlist, but if I had to make an endless one, he'd be above a number of more "worthy" candidates, just because I find the concept of his presence funny.

Actually being pragmatic poses an entirely different premise. And it's why no one is saying Bubsy will actually happen. Or at least, I hope they're not.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m not sure if I’m able to but I’m gonna do my best to create my preferred newcomer list that incorporates a “timeline” of reveals and releases along with graphics and movesets instead of just a straight down list of words. Not sure if it will be just in a post or an actual graphic I post.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If you had to choose 5 mobile game reps for smash what will you choose?
If Nintendo's own mobile titles are being included in this than I think Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost should get first dibs. However, with FE not specifically originating as a mobile franchise and already being represented, I won't be including it in my actual 5 even if I think it offers plenty of interesting choices.
  1. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
  2. Enterprise (Azure Lane)
  3. Gingerbrave (Cookie Run Kingdom)
  4. Rapi (Nikke: Goddess of Victory)
  5. A tie between a character from Blue Archive, Punishing Gray Raven or Girls Frontline
My experience with mobile titles is pretty limited. I've put very little time into most of these and they're all gacha games. That makes the genre representation pretty limited, but this is a wants list I suppose.

Gacha titles also tend to have more (and plenty) of actual characters to choose from compared to idk? Candy Crush? Again my knowledge of the mobile space is very limited.

Other than that the few other examples I can think of just don't personally interest me. I can fully acknowledge and respect how big a franchise Angry Birds is for example, but I just don't care for it. It's not like I'd even be opposed to it getting content, I just wouldn't be excited about it is all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There isn’t anything with graphics to use before Pong except playing tic-tac-toe against a computer and a worse Space Invaders. :nifty: What did you expect?
err that tbh

Rather than speaking in riddles, why don't you tell us which character you want to talk about?
sorry it was late and i wasn't really concentrating. i suppose what i meant was stage based on things like spacewars. which is considered the first widely available video game. or stuff from the magnavox the original games console

What's "the earliest days of gaming"? Nintendo's Pong clone is already an AT. And Pac-Man is a Fighter.
the history of gaming goes back long before pac man

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Any fan made remixes you love so much that you wish it was a remix that was officially produced for Smash Ultimate? Here’s a recent favorite of mine:
well there was a user who used to be on here who made a medley of toad related music that was great

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So a lot of people say Zelda/ Kirby:
Has Enough!
But i say no!
Like come on Impa and Bandana Waddle should be in the next game right?
Both relevant, both long running, both basically agreed on by everyone to be decent choices!
Sakurai/ Zelda and kirby dislikers! Come on We Kirby and zelda fans are stavin out here!
One Modern Kirby Stage, Maybe a ganondorf stage, Impa and Bandana Dee would satisfy us okay we are not too greedy!

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
(It's hitting me like a truck just now that if Kiryujoins smash he's most likely going to be voiced by his bad english VA)
Speaking of Bad English Va that reminds me smash really need a good dedicated Setting for VA Languages!
First of not every franchise is treated the same! For ultimate nintendo thought it was necesary to give every franchise (they had the rights for) English Va but only some recieve international VA like Pokemon or Sonic for example!
So how about for Menus and all franchises you can separtly Determine which is Japanese, English, Etc.?

My Choice would be:
Menus: German
Pokemon: German
Sonic: German
The Rest: Japanese
Kirby (Metaknight): JAPANESE
Whats yours?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not exactly related to the next Smash Bros., but I thought I’d bring this up.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
So, as much as this has already been brought up numerous times, what stages would you like to see in the next Smash Bros.?

Even if Alear doesn't make it in I hope we get the Somniel from Fire Emblem Engage as a stage, hopefully with lots of cameos. It really feels fitting for Smash, being a floating island and all.

Also Bowser's Castle. The most iconic Nintendo location that's still not in Smash (No, the NSMB stage rotation doesn't count).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Even if Alear doesn't make it in I hope we get the Somniel from Fire Emblem Engage as a stage, hopefully with lots of cameos. It really feels fitting for Smash, being a floating island and all.

Also Bowser's Castle. The most iconic Nintendo location that's still not in Smash (No, the NSMB stage rotation doesn't count).
You mean Paper Mario stage rotation.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Hmm. There's definitely some mobile series that are fairly big like Farmville
or Candy Crush Saga. Pretty much every "good" game on mobile for me is part of another series tho so I guess they don't count such as FeH.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Bowser's Castle - the closest thing that we got was part of the Paper Mario stage. (I thought it was 3DS exclusive, but it turns out that it's in Ultimate)

A Sonic stage that isn't similar to Green Hill Zone in terms of design. Not sure what, though - Chemical Plant Zone? Station Square with Perfect Chaos as a hazard? Would probably depend on if we get a second Sonic character, and which one it would be.

I'd love to see a stage based on Eternal Darkness, like the city of Ehn'gha or the temple at Angkor Thom, though that's mainly so the game's sanity effects could be incorporated as stage hazards. (enemies from Eternal Darkness could spawn, which builds up a bar that's visible on the stage. The bar increases when enemies are summoned or damage players, and it decreases if the enemies are beaten; as it gets higher, it starts messing with the players in ways that range from creepy to fourth-wall breaking)

A Donkey Kong stage that isn't jungle-based would be nice - maybe one that's based on a minecart level, or something from Crocodile Isle in Donkey Kong Country 2.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Bowser's Castle - the closest thing that we got was part of the Paper Mario stage. (I thought it was 3DS exclusive, but it turns out that it's in Ultimate)

A Sonic stage that isn't similar to Green Hill Zone in terms of design. Not sure what, though - Chemical Plant Zone? Station Square with Perfect Chaos as a hazard? Would probably depend on if we get a second Sonic character, and which one it would be.

I'd love to see a stage based on Eternal Darkness, like the city of Ehn'gha or the temple at Angkor Thom, though that's mainly so the game's sanity effects could be incorporated as stage hazards. (enemies from Eternal Darkness could spawn, which builds up a bar that's visible on the stage. The bar increases when enemies are summoned or damage players, and it decreases if the enemies are beaten; as it gets higher, it starts messing with the players in ways that range from creepy to fourth-wall breaking)

A Donkey Kong stage that isn't jungle-based would be nice - maybe one that's based on a minecart level, or something from Crocodile Isle in Donkey Kong Country 2.
I love the idea of an Eternal Darkness stage!

And I think a Donkey Kong mine cart stage would be the perfect way to induce trauma to those who had to deal with those kind of stages.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And I think a Donkey Kong mine cart stage would be the perfect way to induce trauma to those who had to deal with those kind of stages.
I've been endorsing this for quite a while now. Since we've tired out the DKC jungle stages, the minecart levels are probably the most iconic areas in those games to be unrepresented in Smash. So iconic in fact that it is getting its own theme park attraction at Universal. Pretty easy to envision how this stage would go, something akin to Big Blue but even more more tumultuous.

Gangplank Galleon is another one worth mentioning, although I like Wind Waker's Pirate Ship stage as well. Assuming next Smash will introduce mostly new stages, GG would be a good replacement thematically and would give K. Rool a proper home stage provided he also returns. Bramble Blast is a very striking and well loved locale from the series too so I think that'd be pretty neat. And that's just DKC alone, I haven't even gotten to other series stages.

Newer DKC games are probably worth a nod too, mainly Sunset Shore for its dynamic silhouettes (I wonder how they would approach this if they made it a stage in Smash?) and some Tropical Freeze stage could be fun if they leaned into the frozen element. Always thought Windmill Hills would be a good option too, I guess Windy Hill already plays with that sort of layout but it could be done better IMO.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Not exactly related to the next Smash Bros., but I thought I’d bring this up.

I can't wait for that part of the movie when the Grinch to use the power of Master Hand to snap half of the roster or for Waluigi to come in as the main villain as revenge for not getting in.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Sorry if this may sound off-topic, but all i want to say is how does the Warner/Paramount potential merge will affect Smash?

Does the chances to see Mortal Kombat characters or any other WB Games Original IPs will drastically go down the toilet?

Last edited:
Top Bottom