• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but an Ultimate DX wouldn't have that problem
That's not how it works. Just because there's not going to be any more balance patches for Ultimate doesn't mean Sakurai thinks the balance is perfect.
Support a serious esports circuit to acquire sponsorship deals.
You do know which company we're talking about here? The same one who made competitive players use items?

That's not how it works. Just because there's not going to be any more balance patches for Ultimate doesn't mean Sakurai thinks the balance is perfect.

You do know which company we're talking about here? The same one who made competitive players use items?
Sakurai or someone still needs to balance characters to make game Good.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai or someone still needs to balance characters to make game Good.
Uh, yeah, sure.

There's also bugs to deal with. Code meant for the Switch won't magically work 100% correctly on the new hardware, and if there's any more bugs to squish when adding newcomers to an Ultimate DX, all the code for stuff already in the game will make it harder and harder to track those bugs down and kill them.
You mean the same one that forced players to play the way the game was meant to be played?
Either way it proves Nintendo doesn't care about esports all that much.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman

I don't know what you mean by your first statement because my thoughts were pertaining to having substantially more newcomers in a hypothetical Ultimate DX not balance.

As for your second statement oh I know. Nintendo is so annoying as a gaming company I borderline cannot stand them and their stupid play pretend imagineer bull**** that their fans gleefully eat up. Here's a nice workaround Nintendo if you love items so much. Have a nice "Free for All" Tournament or whatever and make the registry mutually exclusive with the actual competitive registry and flat-out ban sponsored players regardless of the registry. If they would actually maintain a serious leaderboard they could just flat-out ban highly ranked players too. Or hell go one step beyond that and make it a kids thing completely. It'd be adorable fun to see some kid win a "tournament" on a big Nintendo stage. Have some poor schmuks dress up as like Pikachu, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi and get those beautiful press pictures. The entire ideal tournament circuit could also be used as an opportunity to shill their products/announcements...

I mean I just can't comprehend how Nintendofans rationalize any of their behavior other than the typical "they never want to do what's expected!!!11!!" thought-ending-cliche. Everytime they **** all over their fans it's understood as "Nintendo's goal is to make money so this is how they do it you guys..." and then they just leave easy money on the table and it gets rationalized as "Nintendo doesn't have to do anything they don't want to! It's their game!" so anybody that actually wants effort from this company gets shafted no matter what.

If it wasn't for Smash I wouldn't ****ing bother with this company. I guess now that the Zelda series is seemingly going to be open-world for now on maybe that too but I'm still waiting to see what they do with BOTW2. I actually have seriously high expectations for that game. Not just some simple fixes to what dragged the game down in the first place but expectations considering their Day 0 was literally BOTW and that will most definitely be half a decade ago by the time of release.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't know what you mean by your first statement because my thoughts were pertaining to having substantially more newcomers in a hypothetical Ultimate DX not balance.
Part of the reason why base Ultimate didn't have that many unique newcomers was because fighting game development involves spending a lot of time on balance. And that lot of time becomes A LOOOOOT of time when you have to deal with over 60 veterans. Furthermore, you're kind of displaying why I think people are starting to view Smash as less a game and more of a way to make Nintendo money.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You mean the same one that forced players to play the way the game was meant to be played?
Meant to be played originally, big difference. If we weren’t supposed to play without items we wouldn’t be able to play without items.

Nintendo shouldn’t have even approached the concept of items in competitive play.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
A lesser Ultimate could honestly be a good thing for the series... And by lesser, I mean slightly lesser, in regards to roster count specifically, and even then, it certainly won't be by a huge amount... I wouldn't actively campaign for them or anything, but if they do happen, they could help in just single player outside of just the fighting And then DLC could easily pick up the slack for newcomer count... Just have base game be more setting the ground work for stuff that'd be tougher to add later...
Why would a lesser game be great for a franchise?

Why would people pay $60 for game with less content than previous instalments?

This is the type of mentality that allowed corporations not to try anymore pumping out for less, soulless junk sold at higher price. Ik it's not necessarily true for Sakurai but paying the same price for less is a terrible decision that only benefits corporation?

Yeah cuts are inevitable but that doesn't mean they should get lazy via porting the same game with less stuff. At least use the cuts to add something substantial, something good and fresh.

I don't dislike the core gameplay. However, I do lament Ultimate's lack of variety, which seems especially glaring when you consider that every prior Smash (including Smash for WiiU and even the original N64 game) did a much better job of letting you play the game differently. Though, I've especially fell in love with platforming in Smash, as it seems like such a great fit for a series that began as a platforming-fighter hybrid in the first place, and it's extremely disheartening to see it increasingly de-emphasized post-Brawl.
I can't speak for Melee but in general, the platforming is really REALLY bad and just awful so maybe cutting it out was out was for the best. Also N64 and Wii U content was ****poor compared to Ultimate so that don't get want you mean.

Like I said before...it's kinda apparent that most of the people who insist that "Everyone is here!" was a bad idea and that the roster, particurly the third party lineup, needs to be cut down are probably just folks angry that their MW character didn't get into this game. Like Nabbitfan up there who's a Geno fan and SPEN18 who, judging by their avatar, was probably advocating for some of Nintendo's smaller mid-2000s era characters like Isaac.

Naturally many of them probably have the (mis)conception that these big hype third party characters are taking away the "spots" for the characters they wanted. And also the fact that EiH took resources/spots away from more potential first party candidates.
Except the fact that Geno is a third party character meaning he would unfortunately get the axe too. You really thought you had something there. Anyways it's would be big shame personally for him but if means a return to form for a better Smash future then it's a sacrifice one willing to make.

The strongest sacrifices requires the strongest of wills.

Smash is flat-out less without Everyone is Here. Smash should be above roster/content cuts now. If an MMORPG like WOW can stretch things out for 20 years then Smash can easily do it too. If it's licensing then actually make some money off the series then. Launching Ultimate DX with a base and expansion pack is serious money. Seasonal/alternative costumes/mii fighters/music packs are serious money. A heavily invested in Esports circuit is serious money and that's especially true with the likes of Melee's competitive scene being a grassroots stable for almost 20 years now. Nintendo has yet to even capitalize on freaking Melee's scene! If they were smart they could also capitalize on Project + and 64 Remix's scenes as well. The means of keeping the likes of Knuckles and Conker couldn't even begin to pose an actually serious issue with Nintendo. It's stupid pride and the typical hostility of their antiquated philosophy.

If it's seriously a money issue then it's Nintendo that leaving money on the table and they should stop doing that.
True. Everyone is Here not coming back is a shame but at the end of the day.

This was going to happen.

Comparing a long-running MMO game to "fighting game" franchise of many titles isn't a good comparison at all.

Many fighting game franchises go through cuts all the time and Smash was never really different. Ultimate is just the special exception.

Melee scene is less than >1% of the community and their intention goes against the aim of the franchise, they have nothing to really gain from supporting and investing into them. They don't sell Melee anymore and having less micro-transactions is good thing.

This isn't money issue, this is a resource, time and feasibility issue. This can't keep going on and on. EiH was challenge to do and Sakurai stated multiple times this is a one time thing.

It is what it is.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Like I said before...it's kinda apparent that most of the people who insist that "Everyone is here!" was a bad idea and that the roster, particurly the third party lineup, needs to be cut down are probably just folks angry that their MW character didn't get into this game. Like Nabbitfan up there who's a Geno fan and SPEN18 who, judging by their avatar, was probably advocating for some of Nintendo's smaller mid-2000s era characters like Isaac.

Naturally many of them probably have the (mis)conception that these big hype third party characters are taking away the "spots" for the characters they wanted. And also the fact that EiH took resources/spots away from more potential first party candidates.
I can tell you right now that my dislike of EiH has nothing to do with wanting Isaac or anybody else. I didn't like EiH when it was announced, and what has transpired the last few years has done nothing but further convince me that I don't like it. If Isaac or Waluigi or whoever was in then we'd probably still be having the exact same discussion, because I disliked EiH even when I still thought Isaac was probably going to make it into base game.

I've been looking for third parties to be reined in since Snake in Brawl. That's been my general viewpoint roster-wise, but it's just that the concern that things would go too far has become a reality.

Now, if there were no third parties then we'd probably have more of the characters I like, and EiH did indeed take away resources from other 1P characters they could have worked on instead (or even just other features, modes, etc. that I'd rather have than the vets or 3Ps), but that's only a piece of what I've been arguing.

Regardless, don't discount anything that's been said just because you have a theory or speculation on why it's being said. Especially when that theory is wrong. I have tended to do this myself before, but remember that an argument can still be correct even if the person arguing it is only arguing it because it benefits them.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
... so in summary:

Smash is over let's make something New even changing.. platforms.

Everyone Is Here didn't live up to expectations so doing it "right" is the best step for the franchise.

sigh If we MUST have a next game like... I dunno can we just have ... Only Nintendo First Party Characters and like, change the name too, like I dunno Super Smash Bros. All Stars has a nice ring to it?

...insert other I may have missed in the last 2 weeks.

Issac for Smash!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll admit, I also wasn't a fan of the idea of third party characters coming to Smash beginning with Brawl, and it's announcement trailer that had Snake in it. I felt that Snake wasn't s good addition and that characters as Diddy and whoever else wasn't yet confirmed to be playable where better choices. If I could sacrifice Snake and Sonic for just Mewtwo alone in Brawl, I'd do just that.

However, Ultimate brought Banjo back to Nintendo. And outside of Echoes and Sephiroth , third party franchises don't go beyond one playable character. Even if say, Tails, Knuckles, Chun Lee and a couple other characters are more than "deserving" at this point.

To be honest the only first party characters I'm really rallying for at this point are Dixie, Impa and Isaac, but I do see value in adding others as Bandana Dee, a Champion from BotW or Skull Kid or a classic version of Ganon, Toad or Captain Toad, Paper Mario, you name it. But I cannot say right now I'd prefer them greatly over third party additions as Monster Hunter and Amaterasu. Those are just personal favorites though.

But yeah, I doubt third party additions are ever gonna be a thing of the past. The support for Sonic for example, despite me being so against it, was probably the biggest outcry for a Smash Bros. character ever. Brawl got delayed adding Sonic. Not even the massive rallies for Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo when he was cut, Mega Man, or whatever popular character was that big. Some of these characters have just insane popularity. I remember the same with Cloud in Smash 4, I was also pissed they added Cloud before K.Rool. But if you put that aside (mainly due to K.Rool actually making it in) I can see why things went how they went.

Third party characters have been in Smash for more than half of the games in the series, they aren't gonna be left out anymore.

... so in summary:

Smash is over let's make something New even changing.. platforms.

Everyone Is Here didn't live up to expectations so doing it "right" is the best step for the franchise.

sigh If we MUST have a next game like... I dunno can we just have ... Only Nintendo First Party Characters and like, change the name too, like I dunno Super Smash Bros. All Stars has a nice ring to it?

...insert other I may have missed in the last 2 weeks.

Issac for Smash!
Yes, it has Nice ring! And 3rd Parties will appear as DLC Characters (Despite the Game only will have 1st and 2nd Partiers, but due to Fan demand, they came back).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could see a separate Nintendo fighting game happening honestly, a more classic, tradional type of fighting game. Then again, I guess that's what Pokken was, and in a way, Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors... Out of those two options, I'd think a Pokken sort of fighting game with Nintendo All Stars could be a nice thing that totally fits.

I could see a separate Nintendo fighting game happening honestly, a more classic, tradional type of fighting game. Then again, I guess that's what Pokken was, and in a way, Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors... Out of those two options, I'd think a Pokken sort of fighting game with Nintendo All Stars could be a nice thing that totally fits.
I agree with that!
Make sure that ExciteBiker and Mach Rider are in!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree with that!
Make sure that ExciteBiker and Mach Rider are in!
I'd doubt a game like that would follow the Smash example and add retro characters honestly. Pokken had less playable characters than Melee did, if I recall.

I doubt it would go way beyond adding 2-3 characters from each franchise, 3 being exclusively for Mario and Pokemon.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yes, it has Nice ring! And 3rd Parties will appear as DLC Characters (Despite the Game only will have 1st and 2nd Partiers, but due to Fan demand, they came back).
You're a strange one, Tankman but I get you. Lol finally it's taken me a bit to warm up to your neon colored approach but every crowd needs a hyperactive member or two or 50.

I'll admit, I also wasn't a fan of the idea of third party characters coming to Smash beginning with Brawl, and it's announcement trailer that had Snake in it. I felt that Snake wasn't s good addition and that characters as Diddy and whoever else wasn't yet confirmed to be playable where better choices. If I could sacrifice Snake and Sonic for just Mewtwo alone in Brawl, I'd do just that.
I must admit I had the opposite reaction to Snake because of how big a fan I was of MGS. But having no real attachment to Melee and only superficial knowledge of the series as a whole meant I didn't "miss" anyone. In hindsight I think some Mewtwo fans were disappointed with Lucario. And that swap was also a pretty good tell Nintendo chooses who's in Smash, not the developers or even Mr. Sakurai, ultimately. For better or worse Smash did become another typical Nintendo game buut the formula works love it or hate it and it's gotten me interested in some other Franchises Fire Emblem being the obvious one... I mean I think FEH proves that Marth and company in Smash sold the world on FE. Whereas say with Pokemon the demand is flipped but the strategy as sound. You just can't please everyone lol.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
True. Everyone is Here not coming back is a shame but at the end of the day.

This was going to happen.

Comparing a long-running MMO game to "fighting game" franchise of many titles isn't a good comparison at all.

Many fighting game franchises go through cuts all the time and Smash was never really different. Ultimate is just the special exception.

Melee scene is less than >1% of the community and their intention goes against the aim of the franchise, they have nothing to really gain from supporting and investing into them. They don't sell Melee anymore and having less micro-transactions is good thing.

This isn't money issue, this is a resource, time and feasibility issue. This can't keep going on and on. EiH was challenge to do and Sakurai stated multiple times this is a one time thing.

It is what it is.
They're different genres but they're both still video games at the end of the day. If Ultimate were to have continuous development, as segments of the community have proposed, akin to WOW then the difference in genre would be a moot point. It's not an unfair comparison that I'm making.

It's too bad that Nintendo/Sakurai are seemingly going to go down the route of other fighter games. I would like it to be different. It could be different if they wanted it to be and I think Smash should be above this kind of thing because it's more special than other fighting games. Cutting Everyone is Here makes Smash less special.

Supporting Melee wouldn't be about selling copies of Melee. Though even a theoretical Melee Remix catered toward the competitive scene wouldn't be that hard to make. What support would actually be about are the continuous sponsorships/advertisements and it would most definitely bring in these lucrative elements with official support. The scene is thriving without official support. It would do much better with official support. Melee also wouldn't exist by itself in this hypothetical official support either. Ultimate would at least be included and there's even the option of bringing in 64 Remix and Project + into the fold. There's already a plethora of dedicated events eager for this support. Nintendo could also organize qualifiers around the word that all lead back to a grand finals in Japan. The community would go ape**** for this. If Esports didn't generate desirable amounts of revenue then why are so many gaming companies chasing it so vigorously? Because it brings in sponorships/ad-space to sell! It's at a point where it's getting frustrating to keep explaining this. Smash wouldn't have existed without Nintendo but now Nintendo is actively hurting the series with their hostility. Nintnedo is legitimately run by a bunch of ****ing assholes.

Also I don't agree. Microtransactions in and of themselves are not a bad thing. If we were to just presume you're right about that then the Mii Fighter packs were all inherently bad because they were microtransactions. I'm glad the gaming community has stood up against the practice because it's mostly predatory bull**** but let's be a little bit more nuanced in our analysis and not just pushing memes. I'd love extra costumes. I'd buy them and be satisfied with my purchase. Simple recolors should be cheaper than more substantial alternations but so long as they were a reasonable price then great. Even if they weren't it'd be worth biting the bullet of ****ty microtransactions in order to keep Everyone is Here intact.

Finally I fail to see how Nintendo/Sakurai don't have either the resources, time and feasibility in regards to an Ultimate DX worked on like a true Smash 6. Were about 3/4 years away from the next Switch and Smash Ultimate has wrapped up. There's the time. Saying Nintendo doesn't have the resources is just a joke because first of all yeah they do and secondly Ultimate DX conserves resources as far as actual development goes. Sure a great deal of resources will have to be put into legal but hey it's ****ing worth it to keep the fans happy and also its bolsters Nintendo's relationships with third-party developers which is ultimately good for their hardware in general. The fact that I can even conceptualize an Ultimate DX is a testament to its feasibility.

Personally I think Sakurai should just let someone else cut the roster because it'll be a blemish on his record.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Personally I think Sakurai should just let someone else cut the roster because it'll be a blemish on his record.
Not really given everything he's said publicly.The project is over and he's officially retired from it. What happens next can only be blamed on him by virtue alone his next decision involving the franchise.

If he makes none, cool it's his life and a job well done IMHO.

If he tags back in and it's a flop? That's when he loses his cred.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They're different genres but they're both still video games at the end of the day. If Ultimate were to have continuous development, as segments of the community have proposed, akin to WOW then the difference in genre would be a moot point. It's not an unfair comparison that I'm making.

It's too bad that Nintendo/Sakurai are seemingly going to go down the route of other fighter games. I would like it to be different. It could be different if they wanted it to be and I think Smash should be above this kind of thing because it's more special than other fighting games. Cutting Everyone is Here makes Smash less special.

Supporting Melee wouldn't be about selling copies of Melee. Though even a theoretical Melee Remix catered toward the competitive scene wouldn't be that hard to make. What support would actually be about are the continuous sponsorships/advertisements and it would most definitely bring in these lucrative elements with official support. The scene is thriving without official support. It would do much better with official support. Melee also wouldn't exist by itself in this hypothetical official support either. Ultimate would at least be included and there's even the option of bringing in 64 Remix and Project + into the fold. There's already a plethora of dedicated events eager for this support. Nintendo could also organize qualifiers around the word that all lead back to a grand finals in Japan. The community would go ape**** for this. If Esports didn't generate desirable amounts of revenue then why are so many gaming companies chasing it so vigorously? Because it brings in sponorships/ad-space to sell! It's at a point where it's getting frustrating to keep explaining this. Smash wouldn't have existed without Nintendo but now Nintendo is actively hurting the series with their hostility. Nintnedo is legitimately run by a bunch of ****ing assholes.

Also I don't agree. Microtransactions in and of themselves are not a bad thing. If we were to just presume you're right about that then the Mii Fighter packs were all inherently bad because they were microtransactions. I'm glad the gaming community has stood up against the practice because it's mostly predatory bull**** but let's be a little bit more nuanced in our analysis and not just pushing memes. I'd love extra costumes. I'd buy them and be satisfied with my purchase. Simple recolors should be cheaper than more substantial alternations but so long as they were a reasonable price then great. Even if they weren't it'd be worth biting the bullet of ****ty microtransactions in order to keep Everyone is Here intact.

Finally I fail to see how Nintendo/Sakurai don't have either the resources, time and feasibility in regards to an Ultimate DX worked on like a true Smash 6. Were about 3/4 years away from the next Switch and Smash Ultimate has wrapped up. There's the time. Saying Nintendo doesn't have the resources is just a joke because first of all yeah they do and secondly Ultimate DX conserves resources as far as actual development goes. Sure a great deal of resources will have to be put into legal but hey it's ****ing worth it to keep the fans happy and also its bolsters Nintendo's relationships with third-party developers which is ultimately good for their hardware in general. The fact that I can even conceptualize an Ultimate DX is a testament to its feasibility.

I agree on many points you've made.

A Smash Ultimate DX with promised add on DLC is a good choice for a next Smash. All you'd have to do to convince little old me is fix the input delay, and maybe at least improve the online.

They have a literal cash cow here if they just continue adding characters, costumes, stages, maybe even things we never had as say, items, PokeBall Pokemon summons, Assist Trophies, you name it. They will be able to sell that. There's no doubt in that. I also agree that especially because the Switch isn't dying soon, this is a great idea.

Couple that with maybe a literal Melee remake with balance fixes, graphical updates and maybe a few new characters, and I think most people would be satisfied.

Everyone Is Here could also always happen through DLC, if worst come to worst. I already stayed before they could initially ditch certain characters, clones, semi clones, anyone not "relevant" as Sheik, Captain Falcon (excuse the blasphemy), Jigglypuff, Roy / Chrom / Robin / Corrin and then readd them as DLC. It would work.

Imagine for exame Ganondorf gets cut, and then they'd sell us a reimagined Ganondorf as DLC. Imagine they cut Mewtwo again, only to have him return through DLC with awesome new Special moves and other great visual buffs and an overall power boost. Dark Samus is gone, but returns through DLC as a semi clone. Roy and Chrom are gone and return with more unique movesets. Maybe even Ike is gone and returns when his games gets a remake ? Pichu is gone, then returns with even more unique moved and Raichu also gets added just because they can ? Pokemon Trainer is gone, but now returns not only with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard but their whole evolution lines. Young Link is gone, returns with Special moves that briefly make him transform into the mask transformations just for one Special attack, or a few Smash attacks ? Sheik is gone, Impa is a new character now with about 50% of her moves at least inspired by Sheik, then Sheik returns herself.

There's potential in this all honestly. They can solve everything very creatively, depending on how they approach things. But I definitely think that having a Ultimate DX game as base game, with add on DLC is gonna be much greater than people imagine.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
HWYR if the new Director started with a fighter's pass 3 instead of cutting their teeth just on a new Smash?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Everyone Is Here could also always happen through DLC, if worst come to worst. I already stayed before they could initially ditch certain characters, clones, semi clones, anyone not "relevant" as Sheik, Captain Falcon (excuse the blasphemy), Jigglypuff, Roy / Chrom / Robin / Corrin and then readd them as DLC. It would work.
But the reason why people want Ultimate DX is solely its roster size. If they don't get that right away, what's the point? Might as well make a traditional Smash sequel.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
And Thads want Super Smash Bros. Dimensions!
How about Super Smash Bros Champions?
Dimensions sounds like if it was for the 3DS version, and Champions is very boring.
Not to sound bad, but i want Smash 6's name to be something exotic and extravagant, like Super Smash Bros. Dogfight or Super Smash Bros. Lost World.
Looking for various dictionaries, the game can hypothetically return to the fight synonyms.

Last edited:
Dimensions sounds like if it was for the 3DS version, and Champions is very boring.
Not to sound bad, but i want Smash 6's name to be something exotic and extravagant, like Super Smash Bros. Dogfight or Super Smash Bros. Lost World.
Looking for various dictionaries, the game can hypothetically return to the fight synonyms.
Nah bro, Dimensions fits for Smash 6, because Smash Multiverse is divided by 6 Gaming Legends: Mario, Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Banjo-Kazooie and Cloud.

How about Super Smash Bros Legends?
Nope, Dimensions makes more sense

SPEN18

Smash Champion
But the reason why people want Ultimate DX is solely its roster size. If they don't get that right away, what's the point? Might as well make a traditional Smash sequel.
People also want Ultimate DX for fear of cuts, but ya roster size is also part of it. And yeah at a certain point you're better off with making a new game. I still feel like they should make the base game as complete as possible, and save DLC for completely new stuff or stuff they truly planned for base but got constrained due to time/resources. Intentionally holding off vets for DLC at the start seems like it would cause a lot of problems. At a certain point it just makes it seem like they're blocking off the full game behind a paywall; DLC should really feel like optional add-on stuff rather than things that seem like they should've made it into base. You don't half-make a game just because you can fix it later with paid content.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Intentionally holding off vets for DLC at the start seems like it would cause a lot of problems. At a certain point it just makes it seem like they're blocking off the full game behind a paywall; DLC should really feel like optional add-on stuff rather than things that seem like they should've made it into base. You don't half-make a game just because you can fix it later with paid content.
To me, if you have to cut a good chunk of veterans so resources can be devoted to adding new stuff, you only used the name "Ultimate DX" to cash in on Ultimate's success rather than because it's an enhanced port of Ultimate.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
To me, if you have to cut a good chunk of veterans so resources can be devoted to adding new stuff, you only used the name "Ultimate DX" to cash in on Ultimate's success rather than because it's an enhanced port of Ultimate.
Ya I wasn't making a rebuttal there or anything, just kind of throwing in some thoughts.

I agree that marketing a new game as a deluxe/remaster version of Ultimate would probably require essentially all of Ultimate's content to be brought over.

Top Bottom