• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, don't get me wrong. Similar to series like Style Savvy, while I'd LIKE to see more from the series, I certainly don't see Fitness Boxing getting more than a couple trophies/spirits of the characters from that series.
Is Fitness Boxing even owned by Nintendo? I think its third party.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Does the next Super Smash Bros. game if they put the Ring Fit Trainee as a newcomer mean that the Wii Fit Trainer will be banned? However, I would like the Wii Fit Trainer to continue to be a character in future games of the Super Smash Bros. series and have the Ring Fit Trainee as well.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Does the next Super Smash Bros. game if they put the Ring Fit Trainee as a newcomer mean that the Wii Fit Trainer will be banned? However, I would like the Wii Fit Trainer to continue to be a character in future games of the Super Smash Bros. series and have the Ring Fit Trainee as well.
The two characters have an overlap in genre and some very broad conceptual similarities, but that's about where it ends. It's probable the two don't affect each other, but at the very most RFT's inclusion could be one reason (of several) that WFT may get lower priority.

If that priority ends up being low enough, the character may not make it back. But that outcome would be owing to a number of factors, not simply RFT. There are many characters in the game more similar than these two are, and nine times out of ten that didn't make one so redundant they got cut, even before EiH.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Some would like characters from Warcraft and StarCraft as newcomers to future Super Smash Bros. games, but the question is who could come from those two franchises.
Kerrigan feels like the no-brainer StarCraft pick.

Warcraft has more options. Thrall and Lich King are two iconic choices. But someone like Sylvanas or Illidan would probably fit into Smash easier due to the wings. Though Sylvanas has taken a pretty severe popularity hit lately due to the events of recent expansions.

And fwiw, probably Tyrael from Diablo.
I see no reason not to just go straight for Diablo itself.

Alright. Who's it gonna be?
Does Gamecenter CX have a youtube channel? Watching Sakurai and Arino play games together would be a dream-come-true.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Does Gamecenter CX have a youtube channel? Watching Sakurai and Arino play games together would be a dream-come-true.
They do, and they have had Arino recently do collab streams with stuff like V-tubers and whatnot, so I wonder.....Sakurai is a noted fan of the show too. My only reservation is that they specifically mention a YouTube channel and GCCX, although it does Have a YT channel, is still a television series first and foremost

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Some would like characters from Warcraft and StarCraft as newcomers to future Super Smash Bros. games, but the question is who could come from those two franchises.
My picks for WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo would be Illidan, Kerrigan, and Diablo but you can’t really go wrong with pretty much anyone from those games.

I think Illidan would be a really fun stand-alone character with great moveset potential and among my favorite character designs in gaming. Kerrigan (in my opinion) is probably the best representation in bringing over some RTS mechanics into Smash. Being the Zerg queen, she could have several specials that summoned various Zerg units by using resources similar to Hero’s MP. The utility would vary in utility from anything like Snake’s land mines (Defiler or Lurker), wandering units like Dedede’s old waddle dees and doos (Hydralisk), and single attack units that disappear afterwards like Zelda’s phantom or Bayonetta’s Smash attacks (Zerglings and Scourge). Diablo would be a great villain addition and namesake of its series.

I’ve always thought Blizzard had amazing character design and I’d be hyped to see anyone from those three games. I’ve never been quite as big on Overwatch but I’d be okay with someone from that game too.

Here are more in depth topics I made regarding my thoughts on Illidan and Kerrigan for Smash if anyone is interested:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Warcraft has more options. Thrall and Lich King are two iconic choices. But someone like Sylvanas or Illidan would probably fit into Smash easier due to the wings. Though Sylvanas has taken a pretty severe popularity hit lately due to the events of recent expansions.
Can somebody explain the deal with Sylvanas? I don't play Warcraft, but I always hear people complain about her...

Ivander

Smash Legend
Can somebody explain the deal with Sylvanas? I don't play Warcraft, but I always hear people complain about her...
I think one of the expansions, Battle of Azeroth IIRC, turned her into a full-blown manipulator for a war that resulted in alot of death which some felt out of character as before, she was first portrayed as a tragic character who eventually became a anti-hero with her own goals in mind, but for somewhat the better as she was responsible for leading the Forsaken Undead who had managed to separate themselves from the more hive-mind Undead.
That's only from what I remember reading, as I never played World of Warcraft, but remember seeing some of the outrage about her back when I still played the first Overwatch.

Edit: In terms of who Sakurai might crossover with, Max Dood came to mind quickly due to his experience with fighting games and he has interacted and conversed with some big developers. Although it does depend on what kind of game Sakurai wants to play, since he might want to play a different genre than just a fighting game.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Is Fitness Boxing even owned by Nintendo? I think its third party.
Yeah, Fitness Boxing is 3rd party. Actually, maybe Bayonetta would have been a more apt comparison?

Like, F.B. is a 3rd party series, but it seems to be REALLY tied to Nintendo, to the point of being something of an honorary Nintendo series.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think he has to fare against the outcome Sakurai envisions him more as a boss.
shrug Diablo isn't really that large that he would need to be a Boss. Especially if he was based on his Heroes of the Storm version, which would likely be his officially representation in crossovers.

One of the most popular characters in Warcraft for ages. But then a couple expansions ago she made a huge, inexplicable character turn and became a real ***hole before becoming the big bad for a bit, then a lacky for an even bigger bad that nobody liked either.

Essentially, a great character ruins by bad writers running out of ideas.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
About the Rampage franchise even though I don't like it, some people who would like some of these monsters to come in future Super Smash Bros. games as newcomers, would think that they would come as newcomers in their human form and the monster form would be their Final Smash.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
About the Rampage franchise even though I don't like it, some people who would like some of these monsters to come in future Super Smash Bros. games as newcomers, would think that they would come as newcomers in their human form and the monster form would be their Final Smash.
I loved that game back in the day! I'd be the Wolf .

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
What if the teaser trailer of the next Smash game had a 10-seconds snippet of a symphonic, sad cover of a pop song? Yikes, I don't want to live in that reality.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
One of the most popular characters in Warcraft for ages. But then a couple expansions ago she made a huge, inexplicable character turn and became a real ***hole before becoming the big bad for a bit, then a lacky for an even bigger bad that nobody liked either.

Essentially, a great character ruins by bad writers running out of ideas.
Hm... which comparison would be more appropriate, Marvel or Mortal Kombat? Either way, I feel like I know where this is going...

Stratos

Smash Ace
If they ever make a Donkey Kong movie, they'll definitely give his nemesis King K. Rool a better role. I also noticed about King K. Rool that since Retro Studios started handling the Donkey Kong series games, they haven't put him in, but I want to hope that the next game in the series will put him in.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If they ever make a Donkey Kong movie, they'll definitely give his nemesis King K. Rool a better role. I also noticed about King K. Rool that since Retro Studios started handling the Donkey Kong series games, they haven't put him in, but I want to hope that the next game in the series will put him in.
The speculation goes that Retro wanted to put K Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port, but were overruled by Nintendo as the return of the character was being saved for Ultimate.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The speculation goes that Retro wanted to put K Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port, but were overruled by Nintendo as the return of the character was being saved for Ultimate.
Is there any proof to this?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I swear, if he's not in the next DKC game, then I wouldn't blame anybody for thinking somebody at Nintendo hated the guy...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Is there any proof to this?
Hard proof? No. The crew at the DK Vine fan site have claimed to be in contact with a few anonymous contacts at Retro that told them as much. Whether there's any credible truth there is a matter of personal skepticism (hence why I classified it as speculation) but given how many elements of the original release paid greater tribute to the SNES trilogy in comparison to DKC Returns? To me it's not entirely out of the question that the team was more comfortable including K Rool by the time the Switch version was being worked on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom