• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it currently at 12 million words and counting? If so, wouldn't that make it one of the longest pieces of literature ever written?
To be fair, The Loud House Revamped's word count is due to tons of text stolen from Wikipedia/Wikia articles. Something that Subspace Emissary World's Conquest, IIRC, does not do.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He actually has talked about the balancing of the game. In this interview he mentioned that a major part if the reason why characters take over a year to develop is balancing them against the rest of the roster.

It's part of the reason why Echoes even exist. If they play almost the same as their counterpart, then all the balancing they have to do is against the original rather then the whole cast.
I still don't mind Echoes either way. :nifty: Again, for the sixth time, I am simply saying I believe we have the ability to have the same roster as Smash Ultimate in the next game and then some. Just in case anyone may have missed it. Whether we get it or not for real is a mystery until then but I am optimistic.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I still don't mind Echoes either way. :nifty: Again, for the sixth time, I am simply saying I believe we have the ability to have the same roster as Smash Ultimate in the next game and then some. Just in case anyone may have missed it. Whether we get it or not for real is a mystery until then but I am optimistic.
Sure, you can believe that. I just think it happening cannot come without drawbacks, just like SSBU did.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
"Everyone is Here" seemed impossible before Ultimate. If anything, that and the additional companies involved in Smash should show you to never underestimate Nintendo's ability to negotiate with other companies, especially when it comes to this series. The fact that almost all of these companies happen to be fans of the Smash series might make things even more easier.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Everyone is Here" seemed impossible before Ultimate. If anything, that and the additional companies involved in Smash should show you to never underestimate Nintendo's ability to negotiate with other companies, especially when it comes to this series. The fact that almost all of these companies happen to be fans of the Smash series might make things even more easier.
But, again, EIH wasn't flawless. A smaller amount of newcomers in base with some of them being clones with zero (intentional) gameplay differences, and the oddball character, Stage Builder, and Home-Run Contest had to come in later updates. Now just imagine having to do it again with more companies involved, we'd be lucky if we even get World of Light 2 and any newcomer resources to dedicated to a first-party that needed fans to save them from irrelevancy like K. Rool.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
But, again, EIH wasn't flawless. A smaller amount of newcomers in base with some of them being clones with zero (intentional) gameplay differences, and the oddball character, Stage Builder, and Home-Run Contest had to come in later updates. Now just imagine having to do it again with more companies involved, we'd be lucky if we even get World of Light 2 and any newcomer resources to dedicated to a first-party that needed fans to save them from irrelevancy like K. Rool.
And a few other problems too, like barely getting any new stages in the base game, and World of Light being a lot more underwhelming than it could have been.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You do know that Nintendo has to pay for them and they aren't necessarily cheap either. Sakurai said that Everyone is Here isn't feasible. Sales numbers doesn't negate that.
It...absolutely does.

Sales numbers equals money. Money pays licensing fees. Like...it very directly negates it.

Real talk: why can't the next Smash just start anew? Without having much of the baggage from Ultimate?
It CAN. But most people don't want it to.

Ultimate didn't sell like it did because people were unsatisfied with it.

both dark samus and daisy should be completely unique characters, they are too distinct to be clones or even semi-clones. its nonsensical
Being an Echo is a gift. Because those 2 wouldn't be playable at all otherwise.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
What even entails in a Smash reboot? A reboot implies we need a timeline fix because Smash 4 retconned the series after Tabuu killed Master Hand in Brawl, or that the current platform fighter formula needs to be absolutely replaced with something else entirely. This isn't like Mortal Kombat where you ****ed up the story so many times you have to do a full reboot trilogy to fix your mess from 9 - 11, or like Street Fighter where you need to sprinkle prequels and sequels in a timeline to justify making more games. Smash doesn't have such a thing, and any Story Mode has no true impact on the series itself because its a celebration of gaming, not the longest-running story of fanfiction.net, which is a SSE fanfiction probably.

Gameplay changes? Moveset changes? Roster changes? That happens every game.

There have never been any complaints against starting 'anew'; doing new ideas is the company's motto. Each Smash game is always doing something different; not through core gameplay, but experimenting through other modes. But the process of redoing Smash entirely poses the question of what that even means. And no one's really clarified outside of the roster or movesets just being less than this current game's.

The topic was the roster, the tweet just implies a reboot only involves doing a complete roster change. But what does that even mean? You'd just be adding and subtracting like normal. I just believe we'll have the ability to have all of the Smash characters from Ultimate in the next game.
If Smash really was to go for a "reboot", as many are suggesting, one would have to wonder: how would you even overhaul it in a way that completely separates it from the entire franchise as it exists now? And especially in a way that would warrant curbing the roster to any significant degree? Health bars? That's what stamina battles are for. Team-switching? Is it really something that couldn't be done on the current engine (besides which, Smash stood out to begin with for being one of the only fighting games to allow simultaneous team matches)?

I think I have some idea of what you mean, though I wouldn't mind hearing some specific examples.
There are lots of ideas for the reboot.
-Having a bit of genre-changing. 3D Smash Bros similar to Power-Stone and/or Arms would be a cool addition to Smash 6. Going full 3D would be the next evolution of smash

-Maybe Action RPG similar to Kingdom Hearts where you explore different gaming worlds.

-A 3D Battle Royale like Fortnite but with different abilities for different characters. I mean Smash Bros is technically already a battle royale and it's one of the first ones. Why not go all the way. Maybe that way Everyone is Here can be possible.

-F2P like Multiversus.

Maybe not a genre changing but a change of theme.

-A return of form to a Nintendo All-Stars.

-Smash Bros vs Shonen Jump

-Maybe Assist Trophies Smash where only the previous assist trophies are play.

Even that, Smash 6 doesn't even have to be game. A Smash movie on the big screen would be cool to see.
-With Video Game Movies becoming good and now popular such as Sonic Movie, Monster Hunter and Detective Pikachu with upcoming ones such as Mario, Minecraft and Mega Man coming in the future.

-This would be a great time for Nintendo and Sakurai to capitalise on that can bring 'em all together in one big Smash Movie. There is a reason why MCU is such a huge cultural hit amongst with anticipated hype for NWH and a reason how Endgame became the 2nd most grossing movie of all time. This could be Nintendo's chance to use their formula to reach similar heights. A Smash Cinematic Universe if you will.

There is still so many ways of what Smash 6 could be as eventual reboot. It doesn't always have to be an Ultimate 2.0. EIH isn't sustainable anymore. Cuts and changes are going to happens. Every franchises especially fighting games goes through with it regardless of reception or demand. Smash was no different with Brawl and 4 and it will happen for 6. It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

But as I explicitly pointed out with the points above, There still ways for Smash still be successful, eventful and still feel big, if not even not moreso, as the reboot if Nintendo and Sakurai play their cards right.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
A reboot isn't happening lol. And least of all one that changes the format of smash... The idea of cutting down the roster to like 20 characters is one thing, but proposing stuff like action RPG's, on a site that is literally made on the basis what a game series has always been played like is frankly ridiculous... Like, Waluigi's taco stand levels of ridiculous.. Even more so, if people think that's actually what's gonna happen when the gameplay is the most important component of smash being so well known.

IDK, I think it gets to a point where there's a larger underlying reason as to why apparently everyone else is wrong for thinking most of the characters will return, whilst stuff like action RPG smash, or shonen jump vs smash are apparently even the tiniest bit plausible for a reboot, when they're not lol. The gameplay of smash is part of it's identity at this point and people need to get used to that... We're not getting a street fighter smash, or 3d smash etc. These are the kinds of proposals someone should have if they wanted to flex their creative juices, not something that should be deemed plausible for a reboot.. A reboot would just cut down the roster, plain and simple.. More of the same if you will... Smash will be like it's always been. Sorry to the negative few of you who want a 3d version or smash kart to be the next instalment but you're just gonna have to learn to settle with the new mechanics that the new characters bring. Sakurai has literally said outright why he doesn't think making smash 3d or adding a random super meter like every other 2d fighter is a good thing... He uses the characters as the way to push the boat out...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Trevenant

Smash Lord
And... movies... as a way to continue Smash...

I'm sorry, but IDK why people are on Smashboards if they're more in love with how smash is a giant crossover, when you're favorite characters would be butchered if the gameplay was any different.

Imagine if hypothetically all the characters were literally just skins for the miis, and the three miis were the only selectable characters... Your favorite characters would literally be being cosplayed by wacky avatars, and they would no longer be unique...

Which means this site would very likely not exist as the characters wouldn't be given anywhere near the amount of distinction and detail they are given in current smash...

When you think about it, smash's gameplay is the basis for why most people are here... And for why this site exists... if the characters were treated any differently, then they could literally be skins, and smash would have nowhere near the amount of attention it has now.

The gaming spectacle is not all there is to smash...

Which is why, contrary to what people may believe, a movie really is a bad idea...

Sure, final fantasy did it, but that's a completely different series, and a genre which is literally built on storytelling.

Is it the best of transversions? No...

But is it a better transversion than a series which is known for how it lets people play as different characters who are all unique with little storytelling even in dedicated story modes? Yes, absolutely

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A reboot isn't happening lol. And least of all one that changes the format of smash... The idea of cutting down the roster to like 20 characters is one thing, but proposing stuff like action RPG's, on a site that is literally made on the basis what a game series has always been played like is frankly ridiculous... Like, Waluigi's taco stand levels of ridiculous.. Even more so, if people think that's actually what's gonna happen when the gameplay is the most important component of smash being so well known.

IDK, I think it gets to a point where there's a larger underlying reason as to why apparently everyone else is wrong for thinking most of the characters will return, whilst stuff like action RPG smash, or shonen jump vs smash are apparently even the tiniest bit plausible for a reboot, when they're not lol. The gameplay of smash is part of it's identity at this point and people need to get used to that... We're not getting a street fighter smash, or 3d smash etc. These are the kinds of proposals someone should have if they wanted to flex their creative juices, not something that should be deemed plausible for a reboot.. A reboot would just cut down the roster, plain and simple.. More of the same if you will... Smash will be like it's always been. Sorry to the negative few of you who want a 3d version or smash kart to be the next instalment but you're just gonna have to learn to settle with the new mechanics that the new characters bring. Sakurai has literally said outright why he doesn't think making smash 3d or adding a random super meter like every other 2d fighter is a good thing... He uses the characters as the way to push the boat out...
As someone who's already stated plenty of times that he thinks doing EIH again will have plenty of drawbacks, based on doing EIH once having ones that should be more noticeable, I believe a reboot would just be...more resources dedicated to newcomers and side content. Maybe an underlying mechanic for the core gameplay.
Either those results are nonsense, or the voters only care about gameplay.
Or Japan has different tastes.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe for an instant Japan prefers Byleth over Cloud and Sephiroth. Something about that poll is BS.
I don’t trust any fan polls online to be totally representative of overall popularity given only a small percentage of enthusiast players engage in online discussion, but nothing about this strikes me as unbelievable.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Well those are really the few ways of Smash fresh, new and not to seen as downgrade to Ultimate. Plus, it's a reboot: distinctive new iteration of the series. Just cutting characters, which I agree is inevitable but just doing that and nothing is more of a downgrade than a reboot. Those ideas like you said reinvent the wheel of Smash going without making future iterations looking like worse versions of what got before but a new take going forward.

Yeah Sakurai said cuts are coming. That part doesn't change but can't be the only thing he does for 6. He will need something big and creative for the next instalment to help distract people from those decisions. Those were just ideas that he can 'ultimately' used going forward.

Ultimate is basically an end to era from 64 to Ult. Everyone has come and now has gone. We can't go up no more but we go in different directions.

And... movies... as a way to continue Smash...

I'm sorry, but IDK why people are on Smashboards if they're more in love with how smash is a giant crossover, when you're favorite characters would be butchered if the gameplay was any different.

Imagine if hypothetically all the characters were literally just skins for the miis, and the three miis were the only selectable characters... Your favorite characters would literally be being cosplayed by wacky avatars, and they would no longer be unique...

Which means this site would very likely not exist as the characters wouldn't be given anywhere near the amount of distinction and detail they are given in current smash...

When you think about it, smash's gameplay is the basis for why most people are here... And for why this site exists... if the characters were treated any differently, then they could literally be skins, and smash would have nowhere near the amount of attention it has now.
You say as if other crossovers media such as Fortnite and MCU aren't one of the most popular media in their respective spaces especially when the former literally has just that. Skins. But that doesn't stop them from being where they are today. Didn't stop people getting hype and specualtion for Naruto, The Rock and Spiderman getting in and speculation for other characters like Goku for coming.

Don't really see how that would change Smash. Plus like I said before, Sakurai could gameplay mechanics and abilities to make each inclusion unique. Smash already is technically a battle royale so not much would change in that front like from the previous entries.

Trust me, im not a fan of just of people exaggerating and obsessing other crossover especially in sake of everything. This is why I said Smash shouldn't boast, claim or try to be a celebration of gaming but these new ideas don't necessarily have to be that way

If Nintendo especially play their cards right tho...

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Well those are really the few ways of Smash fresh, new and not to seen as downgrade to Ultimate. Plus, it's a reboot: distinctive new iteration of the series. Just cutting characters, which I agree is inevitable but just doing that and nothing is more of a downgrade than a reboot. Those ideas like you said reinvent the wheel of Smash going without making future iterations looking like worse versions of what got before but a new take going forward.

Yeah Sakurai said cuts are coming. That part doesn't change but can't be the only thing he does for 6. He will need something big and creative for the next instalment to help distract people from those decisions. Those were just ideas that he can 'ultimately' used going forward.

Ultimate is basically an end to era from 64 to Ult. Everyone has come and now has gone. We can't go up no more but we go in different directions.

You say as if other crossovers media such as Fortnite and MCU aren't one of the most popular media in their respective spaces especially when the former literally has just that. Skins. But that doesn't stop them from being where they are today. Didn't stop people getting hype and specualtion for Naruto, The Rock and Spiderman getting in and speculation for other characters like Goku for coming.

Don't really see how that would change Smash. Plus like I said before, Sakurai could gameplay mechanics and abilities to make each inclusion unique. Smash already is technically a battle royale so not much would change in that front like from the previous entries.

Trust me, im not a fan of just of people exaggerating and obsessing other crossover especially in sake of everything. This is why I said Smash shouldn't boast, claim or try to be a celebration of gaming but these new ideas don't necessarily have to be that way

If Nintendo especially play their cards right tho...
Yes, but this was all done within the context of smash... The platform fighter... Not movie smash... Or 3d smash... or competitive smash... Idk why such ridiculous propositions are being proposed, when, like it or not, smash is staying the same. There's gotta be a larger reason as to why apparently most characters are returning, yet apparently a smash movie is deemed anywhere close to a legitimate possibility. People play smash, for smash... Maybe you'd rather smash 6 be a movie or something like that... But I'll just say that if you're waiting for something like that to happen for smash, then you're better off not, cos it's flat out never happening... Sakurai has literally said why the gameplay stays the exact same. If you're on a smash website, then you kinda have to like the gameplay too... Smash gets way more love out of it's crossovers than the likes of Fortnite... Cos it portrays them distinctly... It would not have boasted 23 mil copies if everyone was the exact same...

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Yes, but this was all done within the context of smash... The platform fighter... Not movie smash... Or 3d smash... or competitive smash... Idk why such ridiculous propositions are being proposed, when, like it or not, smash is staying the same. There's gotta be a larger reason as to why apparently most characters are returning, yet apparently a smash movie is deemed anywhere close to a legitimate possibility. People play smash, for smash... Maybe you'd rather smash 6 be a movie or something like that... But I'll just say that if you're waiting for something like that to happen for smash, then you're better off not, cos it's flat out never happening... Sakurai has literally said why the gameplay stays the exact same. If you're on a smash website, then you kinda have to like the gameplay too... Smash gets way more love out of it's crossovers than the likes of Fortnite... Cos it portrays them distinctly... It would not have boasted 23 mil copies if everyone was the exact same...
Because Sakurai states himself Cuts are coming whilst those ideas are still in the air. Open suggestions>>>>Deconfirmed ones.

There is no rule or statement that goes against these ideas, nor were they strictly deconfirmed like EiH

Plus Nintendo and Sakurai need to come with a way sell the next instalment after Ultimate. A reason to buy the next game and not just previous iteration with more characters. There will need a huge, creative idea that previous smash games do not have but this next game will have and those ideas whilst just suggestions do fit the bill quite nicely.

Also I don't about that last statement either. Fortnite is still very popular even as the crossover. It's even more popular than Smash rn. Plus like I said before, Sakurai can still add distinctive features in a battle royale. He ain't the man to do a sloppy job

Smash have sold 23 mil but Fortnite has sold and being played 95 mill. MCU is one of biggest media franchises of all time way bigger than Smash and knowing Nintendo, with this idea, they would want a piece of this pie for their next system.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Plus Nintendo and Sakurai need to come with a way sell the next instalment after Ultimate. A reason to buy the next game and not just previous iteration with more characters. There will need a huge, creative idea that previous smash games do not have but this next game will have and those ideas whilst just suggestions do fit the bill quite nicely.
It's already a multimillion selling series. The wheel does not to be reinvented.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If they want to keep that way, they gotta
That's not the way it works. Tekken 7 is a huge seller even with the gameplay being largely similar to 5, which was meant to return to a more Tekken 3- esque environment after 4's gameplay changes were divisive.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That's not the way it works. Tekken 7 is a huge seller even with the gameplay being largely similar to 5, which was meant to return to a more Tekken 3- esque environment after 4's gameplay changes were divisive.
Another good example is the Pokémon series. Those games are selling better than ever despite minimal gameplay changes. What little they did change ended up upsetting a lot of people. On the other hand, they did drastically cut the roster and a lot of people were disappointed but it didn’t translate to fewer sales.

It will be an interesting experiment to see whether Legends Arceus outsells Sword and Shield. Legends Arceus is an example of GameFreak trying to innovate as opposed to playing it very safe with Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I don’t have it on me right now but I recall a Reddit post from last year (well before the dlc was done) where someone played a bunch of online matches and tallied how many of each character they ran into. I forget the overall results, but of the dlc fighters, Byleth was the most played and Banjo the least. It was a small sample size and prone to error (with factors like MMR, probably location) but the online community (probably) vastly underestimates Byleth’s appeal.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Tekken isn't Smash. I don't remember Tekken Ultimate happening
Tekken Tag Tournament 1/2 are its Everyone Is Here games. And after Tag 2 came...Tekken 7, a game whose base roster focused more on newcomers than most prior Tekkens, and once again, it was a multimillion seller, much more than Tag 2 was.

SKX31

Smash Master
New poll was done in Japan to show the most popular characters, now that the roster is complete. This is also the most popular the poll has been.
It's by the same site who published the April poll, and it is taking gameplay into account (it might be the main consideration, and this might be mainly casual-level). 47000 votes were cast in total, up from ca. 19000 in the April poll.

That said, some of the biggest movements from April are a bit eye-raising:

:ultminmin : 69th -> 7th
:ultswordfighter: : 83rd -> 48th
:ultpiranha: : 48th -> 24th

damn… guess that time he was broken in Smash 4 soured them all on the character huh
I'm not sure if it's that; moreso that Diddy's a very atypical character at a casual level, doesn't have a lot of obvious-at-first-glance kill moves and has an atypical recovery that takes some time getting used to. In other words, a pretty steep learning curve. The difference between a casual Diddy and an intermediate one is pretty big - nevermind masters like Tweek and Etsuji who can make Diddy move around as if they were DKC speedrunners.

There are quite a few atypical characters from a gameplay standpoint (:ultpeach: , :ultwario: , :ultsteve: ) who would be way more popular if they were ranked strictly by character and not taking the gameplay into account I'd wager. Most of the top-placing characters are new and / or very straightforward.

Again, Min Min's enormous jump upward is interesting considering how many complaints she has gotten. Was it due to the different samples? Or something else like the complaints potentially mellowing down? Probably a bit of both, but still.

I don’t have it on me right now but I recall a Reddit post from last year (well before the dlc was done) where someone played a bunch of online matches and tallied how many of each character they ran into. I forget the overall results, but of the dlc fighters, Byleth was the most played and Banjo the least. It was a small sample size and prone to error (with factors like MMR, probably location) but the online community (probably) vastly underestimates Byleth’s appeal.
A Spectate mode experiment from way back in August / Sept. 2020 where the Youtuber in question spectated 300K matches led to a similar conclusion; it found out that Byleth was the 7th most played character in that dataset. And I'd imagine Byleth benefits from quite a lot of stuff:

• Extremely straightforward and easy to pick up at a casual / low level.
  • Big and flashy kill moves give very straightforward reward at that level.
  • Very forgiving thanks to the Up B tether. Also benefits from people generally not being as skilled at pressing the advantage (most heavies benefit from that).

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Because Sakurai states himself Cuts are coming whilst those ideas are still in the air. Open suggestions>>>>Deconfirmed ones.

There is no rule or statement that goes against these ideas, nor were they strictly deconfirmed like EiH

Also I don't about that last statement either. Fortnite is still very popular even as the crossover. It's even more popular than Smash rn. Plus like I said before, Sakurai can still add distinctive features in a battle royale. He ain't the man to do a sloppy job

Smash have sold 23 mil but Fortnite has sold and being played 95 mill. MCU is one of biggest media franchises of all time way bigger than Smash and knowing Nintendo, with this idea, they would want a piece of this pie for their next system.
There's no need lol. If they wanted to do a movie, they would have done it... you're on smashboards, so you kinda have to like the gameplay to like smash.... You said you don't view smash as some giant crossover spectacle, well this suggests otherwise. These frankly ridiculous proposals that just seem like ideas that you think would be cool, yet are apparently anywhere in the realm of possibility. Everyone returning is way more likely than all these proposals tbh, and that just shows how unlikely they are... Aside from how literally outlandish they are, it's literally always been a series that has been video games... they're flat out not gonna reinvent smash, as Sakurai has literally said that he's not gonna reinvent the mechanics of smash, which is why most of smash 4's base had a bunch of bells and whistles to make them more unique. That really only leaves the movie idea, which, as said, if they saw any value in doing, would have been done by now... The crossover aspect all for a movie when it's a primarily video game based company is likely one of the reasons as to why they haven't, and likely won't... Just let smash be smash TBH. If you don't like people liking smash for just the crossover spectacle, then ideas like these don't actually stick... All this is just unfounded, which is reason enough as to why it isn't happening TBH.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Tekken isn't Smash. I don't remember Tekken Ultimate happening

The only characters who didn't return were a licensed manga character (Gon the farting dinosaur) and different versions of characters who were in the game (Kuma 1, King 1, Armor King 1, Roger, Tetsujin, various Jack models), which would seemingly be the equivalent of a costume change. (I'm not super familiar with Tekken - I know they're different people/kangaroos/bears/robots/training dummies, but I'm not sure how much the movesets differ between King 1 and King 2, or Roger and Roger Junior, for example)

Likewise, the King of Fighters games have been going since 1994, and have multiple "Everyone Is Here" titles ('98 Ultimate Match, 2002 Unlimited Match) without significantly changing up the gameplay too much. (by my understanding, there have been some shake-ups here and there, but gameplay wise, you can go from '95 straight to XIV or XV and they'll play fairly similarly, at least from a casual perspective)

I just don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, or completely change the gameplay and try to fix what isn't broken, or cut every third party character and automatically rule out a bunch of characters with huge fanbases like Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Geno, Dante, Tails/Knuckles/Eggman/Shadow, etc. Some characters are likely going to be cut, unless the next game builds heavily off of Ultimate, but given how rare cuts have been over the course of the series (:drmario::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::snake::popo::wolf::lucas::squirtle::ivysaur: and fan outcry brought several of them back as DLC and seemingly led to Everyone Is Here), I can't imagine that there's going to be huge sweeping cuts like some people expect. (I've seen people act like the next Smash "needs" to cut half, 2/3, or even 3/4 of Ultimate's roster, which seems like the sort of thing that would kill any franchise)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The only characters who didn't return were a licensed manga character (Gon the farting dinosaur) and different versions of characters who were in the game (Kuma 1, King 1, Armor King 1, Roger, Tetsujin, various Jack models), which would seemingly be the equivalent of a costume change. (I'm not super familiar with Tekken - I know they're different people/kangaroos/bears/robots/training dummies, but I'm not sure how much the movesets differ between King 1 and King 2, or Roger and Roger Junior, for example)
Technically, this game is outdated thanks to Tekken 7, but I get your point...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't think we're getting a Smash Movie or a Nintendo Cinematic Universe anytime soon. If that was in the plans, there would be way more cohesion between their upcoming stuff. We have a live action Pokemon movie and an animated Mario movie, which are being done by completely separate companies. And if Illumination is the company they would stick with, I fear for series like Zelda and FE.

I'm not saying a NCU is a bad idea, it's just absolutely not happening.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's no need lol. If they wanted to do a movie, they would have done it... you're on smashboards, so you kinda have to like the gameplay to like smash.... You said you don't view smash as some giant crossover spectacle, well this suggests otherwise. These frankly ridiculous proposals that just seem like ideas that you think would be cool, yet are apparently anywhere in the realm of possibility. Everyone returning is way more likely than all these proposals tbh, and that just shows how unlikely they are... Aside from how literally outlandish they are, it's literally always been a series that has been video games... they're flat out not gonna reinvent smash, as Sakurai has literally said that he's not gonna reinvent the mechanics of smash, which is why most of smash 4's base had a bunch of bells and whistles to make them more unique. That really only leaves the movie idea, which, as said, if they saw any value in doing, would have been done by now... The crossover aspect all for a movie when it's a primarily video game based company is likely one of the reasons as to why they haven't, and likely won't... Just let smash be smash TBH. If you don't like people liking smash for just the crossover spectacle, then ideas like these don't actually stick... All this is just unfounded, which is reason enough as to why it isn't happening TBH.
Besides, I believe Nabbitfan wants Smash's fanbase to shrink after Ultimate. So, if a plain old Smash sequel will do that...shouldn't that be okay?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Besides, I believe Nabbitfan wants Smash's fanbase to shrink after Ultimate. So, if a plain old Smash sequel will do that...shouldn't that be okay?
That's one explanation... I have no idea, but they definitely have some reason to be convincing themselves these ideas are apparently realistic, yet just another run of the mill game isn't cos of some way OOC Sakurai quote and find any reason to shoehorn a mention of it in to remind everyone... I have no clue why they'd want the fanbase to shrink, but everything brought from this discussion is frankly ridiculous either way... Why don't we turn Mario Kart into Pong while we're at it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom