• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

toonito

Smash Ace
Re: Alear

if they have to make it in Smash I'd rather see them not have the typical FE Counter as Down-B but use the Emblem Ring to summon an Emblem who act similar to an AT for a brief period of time. if the Emblem gets attacked and beaten by the opponent it can't be summoned again for the rest of the game. Maybe it would be 3 different Emblems cycled each down B.

I'd rather not use any existing playable FE characters or ATs for Alear's Emblem so I'd pick Celica (Magic user some healing), Sigurd (horseback fighter), and Eirika and Ephraim (dual fighters)

just brainstorming, nothing concrete

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I do think Alear would make a good Assist Trophy if not a fighter, I think their moveset is limited and basic enough where it would work well having them function as an Assist.

On the topic of other FE protags though, I do think you could choose a number of them for the Assist (my suggestion probably Lief using quadruple hit) but I know it wouldn’t probably happen but I’d like to see Celica as a Robin Echo who’s difference from him is her having more power at the expense of recoil damage, she’s also very popular so I think the inclusion is justified but like I said I’m doubtful of it given the circumstances.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I do think Alear would make a good Assist Trophy if not a fighter, I think their moveset is limited and basic enough where it would work well having them function as an Assist.

On the topic of other FE protags though, I do think you could choose a number of them for the Assist (my suggestion probably Lief using quadruple hit) but I know it wouldn’t probably happen but I’d like to see Celica as a Robin Echo who’s difference from him is her having more power at the expense of recoil damage, she’s also very popular so I think the inclusion is justified but like I said I’m doubtful of it given the circumstances.
My idea for Celica as a Robin Echo would be a mix of Robin’s attacks and Marth’s attacks, along with recoil instead of durability.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
My idea for Celica as a Robin Echo would be a mix of Robin’s attacks and Martha’s attacks, along with recoil instead of durability.
Ah yes, Celica using her Beloved Zofia for her sword, her array of magic like Ragnarok and Aura and unleashing the Tarrasque onto her foes and then pummelling both her enemies and the Tarrasque into the ground and exploding them. :smirk:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But is Ho-Oh a non-video game character since it appeared on the first episode of the Pokémon anime? Is Blaziken a non-video game character because it appeared during the Johto League arc? Are Zorua and Zoroark non-video game characters because they appeared on a Diamond and Pearl Movie?
It's irrelevant, because Pokemon was still originally a video game. Even if something first appeared outside the games, a Pokemon thing is still Pokemon, a video game series.

Well, he's a third party ninja character, so that already puts him at a disadvantage since Ryu Hayabusa exists...
This is why we need a Mii Ninja!

Altaïr [Assassin’s Creed] (converted from Swordfighter)
Goemon [Mystical Ninja] (converted from Swordfighter)
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown] (converted from Swordfighter)
Ninjara [ARMS] (converted from Brawler)
FF Ninja [Mario Sports Mix]
Strider Hiryu [Strider]
Joe Musashi [Shinobi]
Rikimaru [Tenchu]
Guy [Final Fight]
Ibuki [Street Fighter]
Taki [SoulCalibur]
Kasumi [Dead or Alive]
Corvo Attano [Dishonored]

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Why so condescending?
Sorry, being condescending was not my intention. I meant better. Maybe I should have said something else. I meant it as a compliment, or an attempt at one. I had a feeling that was bad to say, but I didn't think it would be as bad as you put it. I did not mean to be like that, so yeah...sorry.
No worries, I could have taken it wrongly, but the fact that he liked my post made me understand that we were on the same page, so all good.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What does the Fire Emblem fanbase think of Alear as a protagonist?
As a character people are generally positive about them, especially compared to some of the more divisive avatar characters. Their most divisive aspect is their design, of course, but writing wise they tend to be liked overall.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
This is a negative post about Nintendo. Ignore it if you don't like that kind of discussion.

It's so annoying how Nintendo treats the Pokemon games like a big release when they know deep down that these games are total less than low effort trash. Nintendo absolutely knows this. I don't really care that they don't care I'm just saying that they absolutely know these games are objectively unsubstantial.

Every 2 years these terrible games basically bail Nintendo out of actually having anything for the end of the year essentially allowing Nintendo to just skip a year. Sucks that Pokemon drags down the entire game industry with their bull****.

I'm just hoping Tears of the Kingdom is substantial at this point but damn these trailers aren't doing it any favors. Even if we pretend that COVID magically cost 1-2 years of development (it absolutely didn't and it's an absurd exaggeration to pretend like it did) then that's still 4 years of development with BOTW physics/assets/map as your literal day 0. So far I'm not seeing the work yet and it's getting kind of concerning.

Pikmin 4 also looks like a solid time. Hopefully it'll have a real multiplayer this time unless Nintendo arbitrarily decides again that a major aspect of all their games has to strategically suck in order to make a future entry more enticing with a couple quality of life improvements. Ugh.

This company just ****ing sucks so much of the time. They act like they're the trendsetters of fun and imagination in video games and their fans eat it up sooooooooooooooooooo hard when this couldn't be further from the truth.

TL;DR
Direct sucked and Pokemon sucks and Nintendo sucks and I hope TOTK doesn't suck and Pikmin 4 has online.
/rant

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For the record, I wanna make sure we're talking about the same game here - do you mean the GBA game KoroKoro Puzzle: Happy Panechu? Cause that's the one I'm talking about, and that one was made internally at Nintendo
Oh, yeah. We are. Speaking of which, I just hope you know that the 'spin-off game' that I was talking about Li'l Blue being from was Chee-Chai Alien.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This is a negative post about Nintendo. Ignore it if you don't like that kind of discussion.

It's so annoying how Nintendo treats the Pokemon games like a big release when they know deep down that these games are total less than low effort trash. Nintendo absolutely knows this. I don't really care that they don't care I'm just saying that they absolutely know these games are objectively unsubstantial.

Every 2 years these terrible games basically bail Nintendo out of actually having anything for the end of the year essentially allowing Nintendo to just skip a year. Sucks that Pokemon drags down the entire game industry with their bull****.

I'm just hoping Tears of the Kingdom is substantial at this point but damn these trailers aren't doing it any favors. Even if we pretend that COVID magically cost 1-2 years of development (it absolutely didn't and it's an absurd exaggeration to pretend like it did) then that's still 4 years of development with BOTW physics/assets/map as your literal day 0. So far I'm not seeing the work yet and it's getting kind of concerning.

Pikmin 4 also looks like a solid time. Hopefully it'll have a real multiplayer this time unless Nintendo arbitrarily decides again that a major aspect of all their games has to strategically suck in order to make a future entry more enticing with a couple quality of life improvements. Ugh.

This company just ****ing sucks so much of the time. They act like they're the trendsetters of fun and imagination in video games and their fans eat it up sooooooooooooooooooo hard when this couldn't be further from the truth.

TL;DR
Direct sucked and Pokemon sucks and Nintendo sucks and I hope TOTK doesn't suck and Pikmin 4 has online.
/rant
Um... no offense, but I'm pretty sure ALL your posts are negative posts about Nintendo. Like, I genuinely don't think I've ever seen you say ANYTHING nice about them.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Even if we pretend that COVID magically cost 1-2 years of development (it absolutely didn't and it's an absurd exaggeration to pretend like it did)
A8185472-0845-4D37-AEE1-1571EA51342F.jpeg

Whatever your opinion on Nintendo’s games, nothing against you for that. But to say COVID didn’t massively affect development of their projects is not only ignorant of how game development works in the first place, but also just straight up heartless. Nintendo’s Directs wouldn’t start with a COVID disclaimer if it wasn’t still a very real thing that affects people negatively.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

For such a negative post you sure gave a positive estimate for Pokemon release schedules lol

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's funny is that my impression of TPC/Game Freak vs. Nintendo is largely the other way around. Pokemon as a franchise is so trapped by being a merchandising/manga/anime empire so cyclical that the games essentially are stuck releasing with they do when I'm sure Nintendo probably wish they were more refined. Given this is the same company that's delayed and restarted games due to quality, there's a decent chance Nintendo likely would hold off on putting out mainline Pokemon games if it were entirely up to them. I mean note that whenever there's a spin-off title often developed by a second or third party like Pokken Tournament or New Pokemon Snap, they end up being much smoother and complete experiences because such games aren't trapped by a need to coordinate with other media.

Rough Pokemon releases are something Nintendo tolerates, but to say they're indifferent or entirely reliant on it is a bit of assumption given their approach to the various other elements of their library.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
What does the Fire Emblem fanbase think of Alear as a protagonist?
I think he's fairly boring, but compared to Corrin and Byleth it's an improvement.

I mean, I get that you don't like Pokémon, I don't like it myself, but they're objectively big release so Nintendo has the right to treat it as such. Scarlet and Violet has made 20 million sales. Why would they bother pushing for another game if they know that Pokémon will overshadow it? Besides, it's not like Pokémon was truly their only release. They also released Kirby and the forgotten land, Xenoblade chronicles 3 Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids, Bayonetta 3 at the end of the year . So even if you don't buy Pokémon, they didn't "skip a year" like you pretend, there's plenty of other stuff to play.

What didn't you like about TOTK trailer? Genuinely curious because I don't see anything wrong with it. I guess you could argue that the trailer doesn't show enough new stuff, but BOTW marketing was the exact same thing (despite having the whole e3 2016 for botw alone the only thing we knew about the game was "see this mountain in the background? You can go there. See this enemies? You can fight it freely"). There was a lot of mystery surronding the game mechanics and story. I'm sure TOTK will be full of surprise.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The issue with TOTK is basically the context surrounding it. With 5 and half/6 years of development and increased price, there's a broad assumption that the sequel has be fundamentally different and/or incredibly interesting. Islands in the sky, possible underground sections, and vehicles are novel, but for a lot of people the marketing has not put out anything that's really screaming it as a must buy first day purchase. Unlike a Breath the Wild which had truly open world Zelda as a completely new experience or a Majora's Mask which had a weird/almost horror tone in its marketing to sell what a contrast it was, there's a just a lot of vocal fans that see this sequel as "BotW with more stuff", and that just may not be enough for them given the game's time in the oven.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What's funny is that my impression of TPC/Game Freak vs. Nintendo is largely the other way around. Pokemon as a franchise is so trapped by being a merchandising/manga/anime empire so cyclical that the games essentially are stuck releasing with they do when I'm sure Nintendo probably wish they were more refined. Given this is the same company that's delayed and restarted games due to quality, there's a decent chance Nintendo likely would hold off on putting out mainline Pokemon games if it were entirely up to them. I mean note that whenever there's a spin-off title often developed by a second or third party like Pokken Tournament or New Pokemon Snap, they end up being much smoother and complete experiences because such games aren't trapped by a need to coordinate with other media.

Rough Pokemon releases are something Nintendo tolerates, but to say they're indifferent or entirely reliant on it is a bit of assumption given their approach to the various other elements of their library.
I hate that for like a decade instead of spinoffs Pokemon has dumped money on mobile games.

Sure weve had some spin off games like Pokken and snap but there used to be a ton more of them it feels like.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So I’ve recently been going through the games on Nintendo Switch Online, you know who I kinda wanna see?
View attachment 368356
put him in Smash. Please.
Coming to think of it, has Pro Wrestling ever been represented in the Smash series at all?

I unironically would want him or Fighter Hayabusa.

inb4 the obligatory "Hayabusa" joke post.
Funny you mention that. Didn't Tecmo also have a wrestling game on the NES during that time?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel like I should warn people on here:

The artbook for Tears of the Kingdom has leaked online. If you want to avoid spoilers, you'd better watch out.
Um, would it hurt to discuss it of the leaks somehow revealed a character from that game being a playable character in a future Smash Bros. game? :troll:

Sorry, this was a topic about speculation on the next Smash Bros., so I couldn't resist!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The artbook for Tears of the Kingdom has leaked online. If you want to avoid spoilers, you'd better watch out.
Can you PM me the spoilers?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Um, would it hurt to discuss it of the leaks somehow revealed a character from that game being a playable character in a future Smash Bros. game? :troll:

Sorry, this was a topic about speculation on the next Smash Bros., so I couldn't resist!
I looked through it
You're not going to find anything quite like that. Mostly NPC civilians, minor enemies like bokoblins, costumes and environments. There was some art of beef jerky Ganon, but nothing on Rehydrated Ganondorf or any other bosses.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Out of so many video game characters I'd like in future Super Smash Bros. games I don't know why Black Panther (not the Marvel superhero) has piqued my interest, the cybernetic black panther from Konami's arcade video game Black Panther, just one his game existed and in fact only his arcade video game. It hasn't been long since I mentioned this character and maybe normally I shouldn't bring him up again, but for some reason I'd really like him to come as a newcomer. I want to come to the conclusion that his game is not famous at all, but for some reason as I wrote I want him in future Super Smash Bros. games.

1676840200220.png
1676840368729.png

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Out of so many video game characters I'd like in future Super Smash Bros. games I don't know why Black Panther (not the Marvel superhero) has piqued my interest, the cybernetic black panther from Konami's arcade video game Black Panther, just one his game existed and in fact only his arcade video game. It hasn't been long since I mentioned this character and maybe normally I shouldn't bring him up again, but for some reason I'd really like him to come as a newcomer. I want to come to the conclusion that his game is not famous at all, but for some reason as I wrote I want him in future Super Smash Bros. games.

View attachment 368376View attachment 368377
I'm more of Circus Charlie (and not because i'm hispanic)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I looked through it
You're not going to find anything quite like that. Mostly NPC civilians, minor enemies like bokoblins, costumes and environments. There was some art of beef jerky Ganon, but nothing on Rehydrated Ganondorf or any other bosses.
You do know I was just joking around, do you? I did not really mean what I said about a future Smash Bros. character from the new Zelda game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Is Fire Emblem Engage worth getting?

As a character people are generally positive about them, especially compared to some of the more divisive avatar characters. Their most divisive aspect is their design, of course, but writing wise they tend to be liked overall.
By design, are you referring to the Toothpaste jokes? Also, which version of Alear is more popular - the male or the female version?

Whoever leaked the artbook must be desperate for attention. Also, if you want to avoid any spoiler, avoid the entire internet with the exception of this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom