• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
So, what obscure/joke character you want in the next Smash? I choose Ayumi Tachibana since the games have been remade and localized to the west and Sakurai wanted her in Melee.
A Bowser Jr./Hero-type composite Hyperdimension Neptunia character with the four main CPUs as skins.
Well, that's sounded more stupider on my mind.

Lark (or any Pilotwings character for that matter)
A Wave Race character (preferably Ryota Hayami)
A 1080° character (preferably Akari Hayami, Kensuke Kimachi, or Ricky Winterborn)
A Nintendo LABO character
Sakura Samurai
Trax
Monita
A Rhythm Heaven character (preferably Yuka)
Dr. Lobe
Dr. Kawashima
Dr. Wright
Vince
Harry (Teleroboxer)
Icarus (Glory of Heracles)
Frey and Freya
Kyle Hyde
Ashley Mizuki Robbins
Raymond Bryce
A Nintendo Wars character (preferably Andy)
Qbby
Eddy (Fluidity)
Sukapon
Nikki (I guess she's technically in via Miis, but still)
Wonder-Red
A Magical Vacation/Starsign character
Zael
Aeron
Tamagon
Barbara the Bat
Mallo
Prince Sable
A Baiten Kaitos character
An Odama character
A Fossil Fighters character
A Kurikin character
Dillon
Mach Rider
F-Type
Kageshina Kurabe
Excitebiker
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Bubbles
Ayumi Tachibana
DeMille
Kururin
Chibi-Robo
Hakkun
The Marvelous trio (Dion, Max, and Jack)
Sheriff
Starfy
Muddy Mole
Mike Jones
Michael Anderson
Fighter Hayabusa
A sports character (the Volleyball Girl, the Ice Hockey team, etc.)
Ouendan and/or Elite Beat Agents (w/ their female counterparts)
Mr. Stevenson
Takamaru
Isaac
Ray (Custom Robo)
Alexandra Roivas
Jonathan Raimi
Jasmine Callsign (from Jet Impulse)
Hiro and/or Satoru (from Card Hero)
Sato Amatsubo (from Project H.A.C.K.E.R.)
Captain Rainbow
Goku and Chao
Donbe and Hikari
Lip
Saki Amamiya
A Style Savvy character
A Hanafuda character
Mini-Kangaroo (w/ various Nintendo toys from back in the day)
Ando Kensaku
Arcade Bunny
Grace and Savannah (from Tokyo Crash Mobs)
A Pop-Up Pursuit character
Orville (Takt of Magic)
A Cubivore character
Doshin/Jashin
Cupid
Aisya
Diskun
Jill
Tempo
Welt
Any Joke/Obscure third party you want? 😉

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
No chance on Gen 10 in '26 is a bit of an overstatement, don't cha think? Unlikely, perhaps, but absolutely no chance? I could see several reasons for them to hold off on a gen to meet an anniversary year, especially seeing as how similar circumstances have happened before. The big 10th generation on the big 30th anniversary, that's a lotta marketing potential.

And before you write me off entirely, a quick reminder I'm kind of an obsessive superfan who tracks every miniscule movement of this series while you've admitted yourself you have limited knowledge and personal interest in the franchise.

So uhhh y'know, maybe my theories aren't complete poppycock :drshrug:
I'm just saying this because they don't tend to do mainline entries to celebrate anniversaries. I doubt they'd shift the entire release date of a hugely important game just to meet an anniversary that frankly, no one but hardcore fans will care about.

There is a nonzero chance of Gen 10 in 2026 but Smash could and probably will still come later. Gen 9 will be at least four years old by the time Smash 6 comes out, it'll be kinda old news by then. Which could give them the chance to look back, free from the shackles of recency bias, and pick a classic Mon from the previous gens.

Anyways, speaking of release schedules... this one's for the Ultimate Deluxe truthers.
What do you guys think is the chance of a heavily enhanced port of Ultimate coming in the Switch 2's year 1, and being announced alongside the system itself? Similarly to MK8D for the Switch. If it's a port, there's no way it's coming any later.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I made a new move set for Mario, incorporating more of his power ups and abilities from various games, pictures are included.

Jab, down smash, get up attack, ledge attack, neutral special, pummel and throws are the same. Forward air is also the same, but now Mario’s fist is engulfed in flames like in his Smash Bros. Ultimate mural art.

Forward Tilt - Cat Swipe: Mario dons cat paws, raises up his arms and swipes down in front of him IMG_6325.jpeg
Up Tilt - Jump Punch: Like Mario’s original up special, but height of jump is much shorter, doesn’t move forward, and is a single hit (1 coin comes out of an enemy when hit)
IMG_6306.jpeg
Down Tilt - Raccoon Tail Spin: Mario dons a raccoon tail and ears and does a quick crouching spin hitting opponents in front of you with the tail
IMG_6279.jpeg

Forward Smash - Hammer: Charges his hammer behind and above his head and slams it down when let go
IMG_6236.jpeg
Up Smash - Fire Brand: While charging Mario holds up his arm with a small flame emitting from his palm, slowly expands the longer you charge and bursts when let go
IMG_6237.jpeg

Dash Attack - Cat Slide: Mario dons cat paws, pounces forward, and slides a bit
IMG_6290.jpeg
Neutral Air - Star Spin: Mario does a quick spin, first time using it has Mario rise up a little bit
IMG_6240.jpeg

Back Air - Raccoon Tail Swipe: Mario dons Raccoon tail and ears, sticks out his bottom and performs a multi hit tail swipe
IMG_6324.jpeg

Up Air - Upward Cat Swipe: Mario dons cat paws and swipes paws above him in an arc IMG_6296.jpeg

Down Air - Ground Pound: Slams down to the ground, bottom first
IMG_6229.jpeg

Side Special - Cappy Throw: Mario throws his Cappy hat and will stay out spinning for a couple seconds causing slight damage and knock back IMG_6228.jpeg

Side Special with Cappy out - Dive: While Cappy is out spinning you can press side special again to have Mario perform a dive, you can dive into Cappy to bounce off him helping with recovery, if you’re still in the air after bounce you can throw Cappy again, but can not bounce of him again
IMG_6227.png

Up Special - Flight: Functions similarly to Pit’s Up Special, alternates between Mario wearing a cape, wing cap and raccoon ears & tail (the change is purely cosmetic)
IMG_6245.jpeg
Down Special - F.L.U.D.D.: Changes all special moves, F.L.U.D.D. is always visibly out in this state (this might be excessive, but I don’t care :p)
IMG_6253.png
F.L.U.D.D. Neutral Special - Squirt Nozzle : Functions the same as Mario’s current down special

F.L.U.D.D. Side Special - Turbo Nozzle: Slow charge up, huge burst forward on ground, useless in the air IMG_6256.jpeg

F.L.U.D.D. Up Special on ground - Hover Nozzle: Raises Mario up water is sprayed below him allowing him to hover above the ground briefly, this move deals no damage but can trip opponents
IMG_6254.jpeg

F.L.U.D.D. Up Special in the air - Rocket Nozzle: The more you charge it the higher you will boost upward, and the more damage and knock back the burst does IMG_6255.jpeg

Final Smash: Mario pulls out and uses a Star, he becomes rainbow colored and quickly charges forward, when you hit at least one opponent it transitions into a cutscene of Mario quickly jumping up some platforms to hit a ? block at the top, a Mega Mushroom comes out turning Mario giant who then jumps down ground pounding his opponents blasting them away
IMG_6327.jpeg
IMG_6312.gif
IMG_6328.jpeg
I spent a lot of time on this, I’d appreciate it if you were to check it out, I’m pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm just saying this because they don't tend to do mainline entries to celebrate anniversaries. I doubt they'd shift the entire release date of a hugely important game just to meet an anniversary that frankly, no one but hardcore fans will care about.

There is a nonzero chance of Gen 10 in 2026 but Smash could and probably will still come later. Gen 9 will be at least four years old by the time Smash 6 comes out, it'll be kinda old news by then. Which could give them the chance to look back, free from the shackles of recency bias, and pick a classic Mon from the previous gens.
I hate to turn this into a debate but..you’re just kinda wrong on that, friend.

2006 (10th anniversary) saw the release of Diamond and Pearl, the start of Gen 4.

2016 (20th anniversary) saw the release of Sun and Moon, the start of Gen 7.

Every major, decade anniversaries saw a new generation, and now the 30th anniversary is coming up in 26. Seems like a pretty good time to really capitalize on the first double-digit Gen, huh?

Not to mention they already have a game coming out next year, Legends Z-A. And I know some people think the game will come out in January and I suppose that’s a possibility, but just because it happens before doesn’t mean it’ll happen again. The game isn’t slated for early 2025, just 2025. It could come out at any time during the year, and if it drops any time after February then we’re just not getting Gen 10 next year.

I’m not trying to make this grand point in defense of a Gen 9 Pokemon in the next Smash, that honestly doesn’t matter to me that much. Pokemon in could be Gen 9, 10, 11, who knows. And I know you’re sick and tired of talking about pocket monsters at this point so I’ll end it here, just uhhh needed to point those things out. :nifty:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, what obscure/joke character you want in the next Smash?
Joke characters… Well, I’ve said it before but I would be on the frontlines for Glass Joe if Little Mac wasn’t already one of the worst characters in the game. Would still kinda love it but I’d prefer not to see both Punch-Out characters as relative benchwarmers.

Even prior to Piranha Plant, I really wanted to see a playable Bulborb. Now that Oatchi exists I may be able to see something close, but I think I’m just a bit more compelled by having a playable monster full stop. They would be so silly. I also think Beedle would be pretty hilarious, for vastly different reasons.

Obscure? I’m not sure how I’d quite go about it, but I find Diskun very charming. He’d make for a great addition to the “wtf” surprise category. More general and less jokey / surprise obscurity, I’d still love to see any of Lip, Saki, maybe Mallow from Pushmo. Lots of forgotten and very creative options from Nintendo’s deeper C or D-list catalogue.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
So, what obscure/joke character you want in the next Smash? I choose Ayumi Tachibana since the games have been remade and localized to the west and Sakurai wanted her in Melee.
OK, hear me out...

Undodog for Smash!

...And maybe Chibi-Robo, Doshin the Giant, and either Alexandra Roivas or Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I have thought of many although I believe that some characters are neither, but here is my list:

Euden (Dragalia Lost)
Zethia (Dragalia Lost)
Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim series)
Bomberman (Bomberman series)
Freyr (Zangeki no Reginleiv)
Freyja (Zangeki no Reginleiv)
Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
Zael (The Last Story)
Rayman (Rayman seiries)
Unicycle (Uniracers)
Tin Star (Tin Star)
Liu Kang (Mortal Kombat series)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
Haohmaru (Samurai Shodown series)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Jin Kazama (Tekken series)
Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)
John Raimi (Geist)
Raymond Bryce (Disaster: Day of Crisis)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)
Kevin (Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics)
Queen Azarel (Warlocked)
Chief Zog (Warlocked)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot series)
Spyro the Dragon (Spyro the Dragon series)
Abe (Oddworld series)
Stranger (Oddworld series)
Fighter Hayabusa (Pro Wrestling)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Black Shadow (F-Zero series)
Medusa (Kid Icarus series)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo series)
Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow)
Conker (Conker series)
Professor Hershel Layton (Professor Layton series)
Siegfried Schtauffen (Soulcalibur series)
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Cross (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Edward Carnby (Alone in the Dark series)
Adol Christin (Ys series)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear series)
Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue series)
Gex (Gex series)
Protagonist (Glory of Heracles)
Heracles (Glory of Heracles)
Protagonist (Famicom Detective Club)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Reiji Arisu (Namco × Capcom, Project X Zone series)
Laboman (Labo)
Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure)
Dillon (Dillon series)
Dante (Devil May Cry series)
Spring Man (ARMS)
Yooka-Laylee (Yooka-Laylee series)
Agumon (Digimon series)
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.)
Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls)
Kratos (God of War)
Ivan (Devil's Third)
Aisya (ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat)
Chrono (Chrono series)
Miriam (Bloodstained series)
Doomguy (Doom series)
Master Chief (Halo series)
Mike Jones (StarTropics series)
Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth)
Isaac (Golden Sun series)
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series)
Cuphead (Cuphead)
Andy (Advance Wars series)
Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
Black Panther (Black Panther) not the Marvel superhero, the cybernetic Black Panther from Konami's arcade game Black Panther.
Daitoyou (Nintendo Hanafuda cards) him though I would like him on the other hand because he represents Napoleon who was a real man I pass.
Tengu (Nintendo Hanafuda Cards)
Mini Kangaroo (Nintendo Mini Game Series)
Nester (Nintendo Power Magazine)
Kevin Keene (Captain N: The Game Master)

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I hate to turn this into a debate but..you’re just kinda wrong on that, friend.

2006 (10th anniversary) saw the release of Diamond and Pearl, the start of Gen 4.

2016 (20th anniversary) saw the release of Sun and Moon, the start of Gen 7.

Every major, decade anniversaries saw a new generation, and now the 30th anniversary is coming up in 26. Seems like a pretty good time to really capitalize on the first double-digit Gen, huh?

Not to mention they already have a game coming out next year, Legends Z-A. And I know some people think the game will come out in January and I suppose that’s a possibility, but just because it happens before doesn’t mean it’ll happen again. The game isn’t slated for early 2025, just 2025. It could come out at any time during the year, and if it drops any time after February then we’re just not getting Gen 10 next year.

I’m not trying to make this grand point in defense of a Gen 9 Pokemon in the next Smash, that honestly doesn’t matter to me that much. Pokemon in could be Gen 9, 10, 11, who knows. And I know you’re sick and tired of talking about pocket monsters at this point so I’ll end it here, just uhhh needed to point those things out. :nifty:
I'll concede and say it could go either way, obviously you know much more about this series than I do. I don't know if it's stubbornness or what but I still have a hunch that Smash isn't coming before Gen 10... maybe it could be like Smash 4, where the new Pokémon is announced real close to the game's release (Greninja barely had a 6 month gap between release and announcement) and the two games could come out close to each other if Smash comes out at the absolute earliest. Dunno. We'll see.
Honestly even though we have Plant I still kinda want to see a Goomba in Smash
I noticed Piranha Plant opened the floodgates for a lot of generic enemy requests but I've been a Goomba and Shy Guy truther since 2015ish, when I was crafting up some (admittedly childish lol I was 10) moveset concepts for a Mario-exclusive SSB spinoff.

I still really want Shy Guy to join, he'd be funny and could count as a Yoshi character, finally giving that lonely series a second fighter. What's kinda great about Shy Guy is that he's often treated a a singular entity in Mario spinoffs like Kart and Tennis, so he's kinda formed his own little personality. Goomba is super iconic but the joke wouldn't land as well a second time. The moveset potential is there though. Sad.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
the Icies just have a longer legacy with the Smash Bros. series and were promoted more heavily in Ultimate's marketing.
Icies were only in 1 more game than DH...and DH was in the two most recent Smash games whereas Icies were not. But I just don't see why this sort of thing should matter at all. I get that it's an easy way to separate characters out, but it's ultimately an arbitrary and, honestly, pretty weak reasoning to rank one character over another.

As for promotion in Ult's marketing, anything extra that ICs may have got was def because of them being a returning vet that wasn't in 4...that was Ult's whole gimmick, after all. I don't think that says anything going forward.

Anyway, people underestimate DH as by far the most recognizable of the four. People arbitrarily dock it for not being around in Smash as long, despite acknowledging that it has the most notoriety.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Honestly even though we have Plant I still kinda want to see a Goomba in Smash
Goomba would be great. He's got the legacy, the moveset potential, and the (small group of but nevertheless passionate) fans.

I don't even want him in as a "joke" fighter, I genuinely view him as a character worthy of getting in based on his own merits. He is the definitive video game mook. There are characters in Smash Bros. right now that are objectively less deserving of the spot than Goomba.

And also I want to live in this timeline.

1711924295748.png

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Even though Pokémon Trainer didn't function that well in Brawl, solo Charizard in Smash 4 felt like such a compromise. It was never the direction the character was supposed to take, and it really showed.
I don't think 4!Zard was all that bad (though definitely not optimal), but regardless, it's difficult not to blame most of his shortcomings on PT to begin with. If they weren't so insistent on exactingly preserving playstyles and were more willing to design Zard for his own sake, instead of simply transplanting PT Zard with one new special (that said, Flare Blitz was a step in the right direction), it wouldn't be a problem. Now, in their defense, I don't know how far Squirtle and Ivy got before being deemed unfeasible, which could have something to do with the way 4!Zard ended up. But anyway, I think solo Zard has a ton of potential to be superfun, but more liberally unshackling him from his PT kit and balancing might be the only way to bring it out fully.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is Guybrush Threepwood obscure enough, or Abe from Oddworld: Abe’s Obyssey?

For joke characters, I would like one of King K. Rool’s Kremlings.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I kinda would like to see Dr. Eggman get into Smash as well.
He should. As a Boss.

Guybrush Threepwood and Manny Calavera would also be interesting (though niche) picks. I honestly think a graphic adventure rep would be pretty cool.
Guybrush would at least be a hell of a lot easier to make a moveset for than Bernard.

But Monkey Island doesn't check a game off the checklist!

Last edited:

The SafeKeeper

Smash Cadet
If I could change the subject slightly, one thing I really want the next Smash game to do is finally acknowledge the Professor Layton franchise. I'm not saying he has to be a playable character, or even an Assist Trophy, but I find it utterly bizarre that the series has never had so much as a single trophy/spirit or music track. Not only was Professor Layton the king of the puzzle genre during the late 2000s/early 2010s, but it has always been exclusive to Nintendo hardware (not including mobile ports).

Now that PL is finally coming back next year, I'm hoping the next Smash game will finally acknowledge my favourite true gentleman. The developers have had three opportunities now to acknowledge a franchise that did quite a lot for Nintendo during the DS/3DS days.

But if I had to choose a joke character, I'd like Vince from Art Academy to become a full fighter. The Mii costume is nice, but it forces me to play as the abomination that is Mii Swordfighter.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
As for the total reboot stuff (sorry to go back to it, I missed a lot), I've continued to maintain that they won't try to sell us anything smaller than Smash 4. They have ample excuse not to try to top Ult in terms of raw roster size, due to Ult having a load of special circumstances that we've detailed at length, but it would be really hard to excuse a smaller roster than the last completely ground-up game. If they really had to go down to only a couple dozen characters, the changes elsewhere would have to be so massive to justify it that said game probably wouldn't even be a "mainline" Smash game anymore, but rather more akin to some type of spinoff.

I agree that a scale-down from Ult is necessary and healthy, I just think we can do that while still maintaining more or less forward momentum for the series and roster overall; even if the overall roster size is smaller than Ult's, I think a game with the right crop of newcomers and the core of the veteran roster would still feel like a logical progression for the series: less iterative than Ult was on 4, and not iteration merely for the sake of iteration, but not so stark a teardown, either. I'm still thinking, optimistically, like 30 or so cuts and a dozen or so newcomers for a roster a little over 60.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
He could be both a playable character AND a boss.

Bowser is both (Giga Bowser)
Is this a joke? Giga Bowser is a totally different version of Bowser. Both visually and in "lore". They also come from different universes, Bowser is obviously a Super Mario character but Giga Bowser is from Super Smash Bros, making the distinction pretty clear.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is this a joke? Giga Bowser is a totally different version of Bowser. Both visually and in "lore". They also come from different universes, Bowser is obviously a Super Mario character but Giga Bowser is from Super Smash Bros, making the distinction pretty clear.
I don't think it has to matter that much, and if it did...

So just give Eggman a Smash Bros. exclusive mech to use as a boss, and just his Egg Mobile as a playable character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
He could be both a playable character AND a boss.
He could. But he shouldn't.

Just like I wouldn't expect Dr. Wily to get out of his pod and try and punch people.

Is this a joke? Giga Bowser is a totally different version of Bowser.
Uh, Bowser literally transforms into Giga Bowser for his FS. So they're clearly the same character.

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Uh, Bowser literally transforms into Giga Bowser for his FS. So they're clearly the same character.
I said he's a different version of Bowser, not a completely different character altogether. Although I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said he thinks of them as separate characters? I'll look for the source.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It'll probably never happen, and I doubt either SEGA or Nintendo would be willing to do it, but if the next Nintendo console still lets us play games from older consoles… I think it’d be pretty cool if they not only kept in the Genesis library, but also brought in games from the Saturn library (E.G. Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Burning Rangers)

And then maybe the Dreamcast.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t think they added The Mysterious Murasame Castle. In fact, I don’t think it was even advertised for NSO.

EDIT: Nevermind, ignore that last message.
I want more Saturn and Dreamcast ports as much as the next guy, but I have to admit I don't think I'd be too enthused with this? I just wouldn't really want the first reappearance of a lot of these games in a long time, if ever, to be on an expensive subscription service that could go down or have games taken out at any time. I'd much rather there be some form of an intitiative to give these games their own proper releases, that actually stay in your library, with all the bells and whistles that entail - I feel that's what they deserve.
Look, I know it's only because it's Easter and that this means literally nothing, but Sega acknowledged Billy Hatcher for the first time in 13 years:

Look, this game was my childhood, okay? I can't help bringing it up sometimes, even if Smash chances are less than zero.
For what it's worth, SEGA's international branches and accounts have generally been quite a bit kinder to Billy and this isn't the first time they've acknowledged him on their socials - SEGA Forever brought him up a decent chunk, for example, so I think at the very least they're aware of the fanbase there and seem to be somewhat open to putting him in stuff if it's up to them. It's really moreso SEGA Japan who have more or less never spoken of him again after he showed up in a few Sonic games - which I think is understandable given that the game wasn't very popular over there

Top Bottom