• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Next Smash Direct

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
For the last direct i hope its not one of the 3 remaining sal characters i already know there in give us another rosalina.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
For the last direct i hope its not one of the 3 remaining sal characters i already know there in give us another rosalina.
I hope it is the last three. Because there's no way they'd give away all the characters before the game releases. That way, we'd know there are at least a few surprises when the game ships.

(or a sal leak deconfirm)

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
There's going to be a direct a week before the game releases.

It will only be spoilers. :troll:

----

Really though, I think it's possible to see a Smash Wii U Direct in October. Why? Well, they haven't really touched on many of the Wii U specific features beyond stages, Amiibos, and GC Controller. And since Sakurai said these games will have a ton of content, there must be much more in the Wii U version.

So I think they would be wise to make a Smash Wii U Direct, and use it to also spin-off into Amiibo talk at the end.
This. They've made two Directs leading up to big game releases recently with MK8 and Tomodachi Life to get more people behind them so it would really be a no brainer to see them do it for at least one of the versions (Imo the Wii U version) a lot of people will still be confused about how Amiibo works and asking what reason they have to buy the Wii U Smash since nothing different from the 3DS version has been shown so that would be the perfect opportunity to clear the air. I believe we'll see one a few weeks before the 3DS version, focusing on the Wii U while hyping the 3DS release.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Hi! When do you think the next Smash-focused direct will be and what do you think will be in it?

I think we'll see something in late August or September, revealing all of the characters prior to the 3DS and explaining the additional modes exclusive to the 3DS version, but also addressing the Wii U's release date and giving that an official specific date.

I don't think we'll have any secrets and Sakurai/Nintendo will use the direct to have all of the reveals out of a fear that those who don't get the 3DS version and wait out for the Wii U will find the roster online and not have the surprise in-game. Because of that they'll take matters into their own hands with the direct and reveal everything - like they did for Mario Kart.

We may also see more Amiibos, any other thoughts on when and what?
I'm sure most of what I have to say has already been said, such as how the next one will be in August. If I remember correctly, the pattern is every other month (for Smash news anyway, here's a handy guide), similar to how they reveal characters, which is a bummer for July. BUT since we're close to Japan's September release, I would like to think that they would switch up their routine and reveal at least one new thing from the game every month until September. We'll see I guess. If I were promoting the game, I'd definitely keep the hype going. And that includes having something new to be excited about in July instead of being silent. With that said, I can see them having another Smash Nintendo Direct prior to the release. Either in late August or in September. The latter seems likely to me because it gives the international audience a chance to get hyped despite the later release date for other countries.

Man, Sept. 13, I hope there's at least one Smashboards member from Japan because I will be tuning in to that forum/those forums.

Last edited:

MrBond

Smash Cadet
I'm sure most of what I have to say has already been said, such as how the next one will be in August. If I remember correctly, the pattern is every other month (for Smash news anyway, here's a handy guide), similar to how they reveal characters, which is a bummer for July. BUT since we're close to Japan's September release, I would like to think that they would switch up their routine and reveal at least one new thing from the game every month until September. We'll see I guess. If I were promoting the game, I'd definitely keep the hype going. And that includes having something new to be excited about in July instead of being silent. With that said, I can see them having another Smash Nintendo Direct prior to the release. Either in late August or in September. The latter seems likely to me because it gives the international audience a chance to get hyped despite the later release date for other countries.

Man, Sept. 13, I hope there's at least one Smashboards member from Japan because I will be tuning in to that forum/those forums.
From what I've seen, I think that there are a few/several SmashBoards members who are located in Japan. I think one of the main mods like Venus is located in Japan, I think I might have seen them translate a picture that somebody posted before. We should probably know the whole roster the week the game comes out for the 3DS in Japan anyway...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I preordered Smash 3DS and will pick it up on September 13th. I'll be posting info as I play.

However, on the 15th, I'll be flying back to the States for two weeks for my wedding so I won't be able to play it a lot :/

D

Deleted Member

We did have a Nintendo Direct Mini in July last year, so it may happen again. I suspect Chrom would get revealed there, with Shulk in August, and Chorus Men shortly before launch.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I hope:
-There's another Smash Direct.
-We get the rest of the veteran cast.
-We get at least one newcomer.
-Tons and tons of info on the 3DS version.
-Wii U version gets a release date.

I think:
-We're getting a non-Smash Direct in August.
-One newcomer.
-No veterans (at least in the direct itself. Probably a few more on the website prior to release.)
-More information and a Wii U release date.
-Amiibo info.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I didn't explain why I thought we'd be getting a Smash Direct in September, other than hyping up the game. Since the game will be releasing in Japan in September, Sakurai knows that the full roster will be revealed via the internet. They might just go ahead and reveal the whole roster themselves, warning viewers that there will be spoilers like they did with Mario Kart 8.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I didn't explain why I thought we'd be getting a Smash Direct in September, other than hyping up the game. Since the game will be releasing in Japan in September, Sakurai knows that the full roster will be revealed via the internet. They might just go ahead and reveal the whole roster themselves, warning viewers that there will be spoilers like they did with Mario Kart 8.
Yeah part of me thinks that since we will know the roster from Japan, and a lot may actually skip the 3DS version and wait for the Wii U, there are lots of opportunities for people to be spoiled by a leaked roster. Sakurai may want to reveal the roster in his own hyped way through a direct with huge trailers.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I would love this, although unlikely, if we got one that just included major changes to the clone characters, and they showed off how they reworked Ganondorf, Lucas, Falco, etc.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I figure the direct will start with a reveal trailer, which means a newcomer will be showing up.
Past that, I'm not sure. If the newcome is one of the sal dudes, I'm sure the forums will freak out.

EDIT: We'll freak out either way.

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I hope:
-There's another Smash Direct.
-We get the rest of the veteran cast.
-We get at least one newcomer.
-Tons and tons of info on the 3DS version.
-Wii U version gets a release date.

I think:
-We're getting a non-Smash Direct in August.
-One newcomer.
-No veterans.
-More information and a Wii U release date.
-Amiibo info.
Probably what you think + continued drip feed of veterans on the website.

But it's been a while since we even got that, Maybe the rest will be secret since they've already gone into full blown advertisement mode with all the demos/posters/etc.

If someone like captain falcon isn't offically revealed before game is out >_>;;; then I know for sure we'll have secret bros.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Probably what you think + continued drip feed of veterans on the website.
I thought I mentioned that in the post but I guess not.

But it's been a while since we even got that, Maybe the rest will be secret since they've already gone into full blown advertisement mode with all the demos/posters/etc.

If someone like captain falcon isn't offically revealed before game is out >_>;;; then I know for sure we'll have secret bros.
Good point, though we haven't gotten any of the characters notorious for being unlockables (besides Luigi, Marth, Tink) like Jiggs, Ness and Falcon. We're already close enough to the release date to assume there are going to be unlockables.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty much been 1 newcomer for every Direct since December, so I would imagine we will get a character reveal. Although, after 3 Newcomers at E3, August might break the cycle.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Yeah part of me thinks that since we will know the roster from Japan, and a lot may actually skip the 3DS version and wait for the Wii U, there are lots of opportunities for people to be spoiled by a leaked roster. Sakurai may want to reveal the roster in his own hyped way through a direct with huge trailers.
That would just be do much, do you know how many people would die? I would just drop dead... I almost lost my **** watching LittleMac, Greninja, Palutena, and Pac-Man.... if he just decided to make this HUGE CGI trailer with all of the characters in the game, we'll all be dead.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That would just be do much, do you know how many people would die? I would just drop dead... I almost lost my **** watching LittleMac, Greninja, Palutena, and Pac-Man.... if he just decided to make this HUGE CGI trailer with all of the characters in the game, we'll all be dead.
Yep. I admit to having cried during Little Mac's reveal. Probably will during that theoretical trailer.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
A Smash CGI trailer with every Smash 4 character would just be sooo epic though, even if we all died watching it. Best way to die.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Don't see why we wouldn't. Smash will probably be the biggest Wii U game. Zelda will be huge but won't bring in that family-party audience, and nothing has been as big as Smash yet. Mario Kart was huge but Smash will be bigger. Why not explain it more, give it more attention, and discuss it more in another direct as we get closer to release? Especially when Sakurai wants to take more control of reveals and surprises with the game. Perfect storm for another Smash focused direct where we will all laugh, explode, die, and live happily ever after in the eternal Battlefield.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't get why people are writing off the possibility, either. Pokemon and Mario Kart got similar levels of attention in terms of online media. Nothing comparable to the invitational tournament, of course.

Granted, we had e3 nary a few months after the last Smash Direct. There is a lot more variety in what you can show in regards to Smash Bros compared to something like Mario Kart. Note how someone like the Koopalings, their idea of a huge announcement, all came in at once. There is less buzz in the media with all the Koopalings combined than a single Smash Bros character. In fact, you can even look at the traffic of the announcement of that on news sites and compare it to Smash Bros news whenever anything is revealed.

I know a lot of people are not saying a character reveal is not out of the question, and that it will just be an after-the-fact trailer instead. I understand, and I am not saying this is going to happen, so much as it is still a possibility. Smash 4 is, after all, two products, and they have deliberately hardly scratched on the Wii U version's features. A publicity window in assumption, we'll get something either this August before the 3DS version ships and/or something in October.

If I had to make a guess, at bare minimum it will be not just a trailer, but a part of an existing direct. An 8-12 minutes segment before they move on to other products, or perhaps as a closing. That's at the minimum. A direct on full blast is still possible.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think that it's likely in August.

Though, I really don't know what I would do if any Paper Mario stuff is announced. May as well just log out to not get banned for spamming :cheep:

If he's confirmed in smash however... Well, you'd better not know as it's just going to be too intense for me to tell.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I don't get why people are writing off the possibility, either. Pokemon and Mario Kart got similar levels of attention in terms of online media. Nothing comparable to the invitational tournament, of course.

Granted, we had e3 nary a few months after the last Smash Direct. There is a lot more variety in what you can show in regards to Smash Bros compared to something like Mario Kart. Note how someone like the Koopalings, their idea of a huge announcement, all came in at once. There is less buzz in the media with all the Koopalings combined than a single Smash Bros character. In fact, you can even look at the traffic of the announcement of that on news sites and compare it to Smash Bros news whenever anything is revealed.

I know a lot of people are not saying a character reveal is not out of the question, and that it will just be an after-the-fact trailer instead. I understand, and I am not saying this is going to happen, so much as it is still a possibility. Smash 4 is, after all, two products, and they have deliberately hardly scratched on the Wii U version's features. A publicity window in assumption, we'll get something either this August before the 3DS version ships and/or something in October.

If I had to make a guess, at bare minimum it will be not just a trailer, but a part of an existing direct. An 8-12 minutes segment before they move on to other products, or perhaps as a closing. That's at the minimum. A direct on full blast is still possible.
Yeah Mario Kart got their special direct and a line of very nice commercials. I would imagine Smash getting another direct closer to release along with commercials and Amiibo ads that naturally include Smash Bros. hype. Think the floodgates of Smash will open soon with ads and media for Smash 3DS, Smash U, Amiibo, the new controller adapter and the Gamecube Smash controllers, plus Wii U bundles with Smash, gonna be insane.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The next Sm4sh Direct, if there's going to be one, is going to happen between 3DS' and WiiU's release.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
The next Sm4sh Direct, if there's going to be one, is going to happen between 3DS' and WiiU's release.
I think it'll be in August with more character reveals since there can't be any character reveals after the 3DS version is out.

I think a Smash focused direct will come shortly before the 3DS release to announce characters, build hype with more details on both versions, and drop a Wii U release date.

Then later in October or November we'll get a Nintendo Direct with more details on Captain Toad and other holiday releases, including Smash and details on U exclusive modes, but without the hype of new characters, and also Amiibo details since that'll launch with Smash 4 and effect Captain Toad and Mario Kart 8 (which will still be a big holiday game even though it came out in May).

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I preordered Smash 3DS and will pick it up on September 13th. I'll be posting info as I play.

However, on the 15th, I'll be flying back to the States for two weeks for my wedding so I won't be able to play it a lot :/
You probably shouldn't announce you will be carrying Smash Bros. contraband stateside.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hopefully, in the August Direct they will also have a more solid release date for the Wii U version.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
What about tomorrows direct 11/7/14? its about 3ds games so you all know what it means......

lol forum doesnt let me to post links, the price for being a lurker.

Actually its not that hard to find just google nintendo jp direct site.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What about tomorrows direct 11/7/14? its about 3ds games so you all know what it means......

lol forum doesnt let me to post links, the price for being a lurker.

Actually its not that hard to find just google nintendo jp direct site.
It's a Nintendo Direct about third party games for the 3DS.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
New characters at 10am EST. Just in time for EVO. I hope it's Ridley, but in reality, it'll be Mr. Game & Watch.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
I could imagine Snake coming back , since he would be important enough to be announced like that yet not as that important as a Newcomer :3

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Heyho https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/487559269990932481

A new trailer in form of a 3 minute Video will be shown at the homepage.
NOICE! So maybe we won't get a Smash focused direct, but all what is normally in a direct spread out through the final months, getting greater and greater until the climax with release! :bluejump:

New characters at 10am EST. Just in time for EVO. I hope it's Ridley, but in reality, it'll be Mr. Game & Watch.
I still think Ridley is a boss. And Mr. Game & Watch will get a pic of the day to be officially confirmed since he already had a spotlight in Pac-Man's trailer. He won't get that moment in Pacman's trailer and his own trailer and also be a veteran. Just weird.

I could imagine Snake coming back , since he would be important enough to be announced like that yet not as that important as a Newcomer :3
I think a lot of the reason Brawl doesn't get streamed is because Snake and the fact that Nintendo doesn't have as good relations with Konami and that IP anymore. Not necessarily bad relations, just not solid enough to feature Snake in one of the biggest Nintendo franchise when he has become a far greater image for Playstation and Xbox. I just would be baffled if he returned.

If anything, if he does come back, he would get featured in a veteran reel with a quick few lines about him like Yoshi or Sanic. Maybe even a quick pic of the day, but this trailer is huge.

Not that it's going to be the trailer to end all trailers, but it is admittingly one of the last ones they have, it is getting its own pre-announcement and a live-stream. Lots of hype for it instead of tacking it onto something else.

It's a 3-minute video, so it sounds like a Newcomer to me.
3 minutes is also a long trailer for them. Charizard and Greninja was 2:28, and it was also a reveal for all Pokeball Pokemon.
Little Mac was 2:10, and even had his cartoony intro.
Palutena was 3:01, but that was E3 and had a lot of focus on it.
Pac-Man was 1:48, and that was an amazing trailer showing off his moves, nods at another character, and had lots of hype.
Even Mii Fighter trailer had the epic fight with Reggie and Iwata, Amiibos and all that and was less than 3 minutes.

I think we'll get an E3 equal trailer here, with a newcomer, maybe another one sneaked in. Also expecting just a quick character that has been leaked with flashy stuff for 3 minutes to keep my expectations low, but I lean more towards being super hyped.

EDIT: Also, if the leak is true and all we have is Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men, I believe we'd get Shulk now with Xenoblade's twitter retweeting Sakurai's announcement. Then Chrom could come with a Nintendo Direct giving more details on the new Fire Emblem game, and Chorus Men could be a last minute trailer for Smash 3DS in Japan, since he is more of a japanese character. We'll see though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom