• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomers( Not in reference to the Game)

Jkui

Smash Rookie
Hello! I am a newcomer to the SSB series, and plan on purchasing SSBB no doubt. I was wondering, do you think its possible for a newcomer to become a great opponent, despite his or her handicap of not playing previous games? I've heard to become even slightly wonderful at the series, it takes years, and that newcomers to the franchise shouldn't bother. I've asked this question elsewhere, but these forums/ site seem(s) to possess a crowd more knowledgeable about the SSB series. Please, give you opinions, and please post your approximate:

1. Time you've felt brought you to your current level
2. If you feel you've invested enough time to reach your level
3. Your learning experience
4. One word of Advice

Thank You. I'm really hoping you'd provide me with at least some answers to my questions, so that perhaps I can make the right decision in investing into this game or not. Once again, thanks!

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
It's very much possible, Brawl is a completely new game. Most importantly you need to practice against good players and read up on Brawl theory, more than anything the Smash games are about playing smart.

Samus_2021

Smash Journeyman
I've played Smash since it's conception for the N64. Each game has its differences, yet it's basis is still the same. So with you coming into the world of Brawl, it won't be too hard to catch up with the rest of us.

I feel I have played enough to know the ins and outs of the game, I'm nowhere near expert level, but I can hold my own.

One of the best things to do to "get better" is to play against real people. That's why the online mode for Brawl is one of the greatest aspects of this game. Playing the first two Smash games, I didn't have a lot of Smash playing friends, so the CPU opponents were all that I had.

4. One word of Advice
In respect to the online mode, don't get discouraged. There is always going to be someone better than you. Instead of getting upset at a loss, examine why you lost and work on improving for the next time.

Jkui

Smash Rookie
I really appreciate the input so far guys. I'd love to see more=)

I've played Smash since it's conception for the N64. Each game has its differences, yet it's basis is still the same. So with you coming into the world of Brawl, it won't be too hard to catch up with the rest of us.

I feel I have played enough to know the ins and outs of the game, I'm nowhere near expert level, but I can hold my own.

One of the best things to do to "get better" is to play against real people. That's why the online mode for Brawl is one of the greatest aspects of this game. Playing the first two Smash games, I didn't have a lot of Smash playing friends, so the CPU opponents were all that I had.

4. One word of Advice
In respect to the online mode, don't get discouraged. There is always going to be someone better than you. Instead of getting upset at a loss, examine why you lost and work on improving for the next time.
Thank you=) Your comment was really helpful, sincere and honest.

It's very much possible, Brawl is a completely new game. Most importantly you need to practice against good players and read up on Brawl theory, more than anything the Smash games are about playing smart.
I'll keep that in mind too. =) I'd love to learn more any time
Stick around and make sure to read up on any technical discoveries in the next couple of years, and you're good. >;3
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or not.

Samus_2021

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciate the input so far guys. I'd love to see more=)

Thank you=) Your comment was really helpful, sincere and honest.
You're very welcome :D Perhaps we'll be able to play online. We'll exchange Wii codes :) Keep in touch!

Jkui

Smash Rookie
Thank you:) I look forward to it, I'll get mine later tonight

Discord002

Smash Rookie
I dont think you should be discouraged by what "pros" say. Ofcourse they will tell you a "newbie" will never stand a chance to them. Im not a real pro myself, seeing as ive never played in tournaments and such. But ive played both of the previous SSB games alot with friends. So i consider myself a decent player.

Im 100% sure that many people thats being introduced to this series via brawl will become great players, and even rival the top "oldschool" players, even if they havent played the previous ones. Some practice is ofcourse needed, noone gets good in one day.

Remember, you only get better by playing a better opponent. ;)

If you own a Wii, then you should buy this game when its out no matter what in my opinion. Its going to be a great and fun game even if you never become the best!

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Its is a lucky time for newcomers, the secrets of the old no longer work, meaning effectlivly a smart enough and fairly decent player can expect to give this Pro's a more fair fight, not to mention the Smash Ball too.

You may of heard of Wavedashing, L-Canceling etc. If you haven't it doesn't matter, effectly in brawl these longer work. So you shouldn't have to squander and tireless train techniques to even having a shot at being decent.

@ Kio

I hope there is downloads if any glitches are found to remedy them. It is those very techniques which complete seperate the casual smashers from the pros. I'd rather it be a test of skill and not a test of time.

Jkui

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input so far. Many thanks.=)

Shadowball Enthusiast

Smash Cadet
Dude, my advice for what it is worth is before you jump in to any serious combatants with real player, play the game with all of the characters, after that pick the one that feels the most right for you, and learn him or her in and out. This worked of me in previous games, I mained mewtwo, a character that know one else seem to like, and trust me this worked a charm, find the character that right for you, and you can go far

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I don't think it takes too long to become good at this game if you put in the time and have good friends to teach you techniques and play against them. If your stuck playing computers your going to suck in the competitive world. Atleast now you can play online against others.

My advice to you is watch videos on youtube of good smash players and watch how they play, so you can get the gist of what they do and why. Brawl seems to be different a lot different technical wise so now would be a pretty good time to jump in. Don't expect to be just as good as players that have been playing smash because mind games is still going to be a big part of brawl.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Not much more than a year. I've been playing the game since about its launch on the N64 and up until about two years ago I thought I was the best person at the game. No one I have ever played could beat me, then I met my friend Steven and we went to our first tournament... and a whole new world opened up. It wasn't until about a year after that that I learned about Smashboards, which has enabled me to be as good as I am today. I've only been playing competively and well since about last year.

I think I could be much better than I am right now within that year. I'm very good, yes, ranked 6th in New Mexico... well, decently good. However, I did not practice often after I learned the majority of techniques and had few people to really play against often, so I could be better than I am now. It doesn't take long.

Again, about a year, and if it wasn't for Smashboards I wouldn't be as good as I am now. I read guides, techniques, and watched videos. That's how I got to wear I am now. I highly recommend watching videos on Youtube to see "how" a character is supposed to be used and reading guides. Brawl is new turf, though. That doesn't mean everything starts from scratch, it means things will change and it will take time to evolve. So it is a slightly different scenario.

4. One word of Advice
Practice. Seriously. Practice. Get a group of friends that will take on Brawl with you. It is nearly impossible to excel at a game professionally unless you have friends there with you trying to succeed as well, stay on Smashboards, and watch videos. If you want a little more detail about things, check out my wiki in my signature.

My AIM is PyroStorm Sozoku. AIM me anytime you want to chat. Hope I helped.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Your lucky to catch brawl from the very beginning. You'll be able to find out all the new strategies and techniques as they are found. Just keep updated and tuned into Smashboards and you'll be at the same pace of most other brawlers.

But naturally all of the tournament scene players will be ahead of you by a few leaps but after time you'll prove yourself through determination and practice.

Jkui

Smash Rookie
I really appreciate the comments guys! I think I'm more confident about starting my SSBB journey once I obtain my game in March. Once again thanks to those who bothered replying.=)

finalark

SNORLAX
1: I really didn't play much smash64 (I was a Sony fanboy in the mid 90s) but I've been playing smash on the weekends mostly for about 6 years.

2: Well.... I guess I have put in quite a bit of time.... I guess so.... I really don't know what to say here.

3: A said before it's good to play against real people, and when something goes wrong and you lose, try to figure out what happened that caused it.

4: Don't be intimidated by tiers, find someone you like or are good with. It's okay to main a low tier character, I main Ness and I'm (well, I think so) a good smasher.... oh, and anther thing, there is no such thing as a bad character in smash (except Pichu.)

That's my two cents, if you want to Brawl come March 9th PM me.

maian

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, good thread.

Well, here's what I have to say for you. Smash is a wonderful, fantastic series. I'm not a competitive player by definition (I don't use all the advanced techs or enter tourneys), but I believe I'm about the best I can be without using the uh, advanced advanced techs. (Wavedashing, etc)

I've been a huge fan of Smash since the N64 days, so it's really hard to say. I'm pretty dang good at Smash, but I feel like my skill hasn't come from all the years I've owned it, but rather the last three or so, where me and my friend were bored one day, picked up our copy of Smash we haven't played in months, final destination no items, and fought. We forgot how fun it was, and played battle after battle of Young Link vs. Young Link, our two mains. Eventually this turned into "Random Battles", and we're completely addicted to them to this day. Random battles is random character no repeats, random stage, all items on very high for two minutes. But we started doing this a lot, and I picked up a lot of skill. I haven't played much one player since then until recently. It's funny, all the things I remember having TONS of trouble with (Enough to break a controller from frustration) took me one, maybe two tries this time around.

Long long story short, it doesn't take a massive amount of time to reach your level. My tip? Find a friend to play with, it's the absolute best way. I played here and there a lot for years, but it wasn't until me and my friend started having our constant matches that I got really good. Fighting against computers is good, but you don't really learn effectively unless you're fighting a human. I bet you could get to be at least really good within a year, honestly. Or maybe that's because I just pick up games faster than others. =/

In a word, yes. Like I said, I truly believe it's only been the last few years where I've truly built my skill, and it's certainly been enough. I still learn something new almost everytime I play. I think personally, I'm good enough to enter a tourney, but I wouldn't really know. I'm either super exaggerating in my head the levels of players, or underexaggerating them. Maybe I'll try when Brawl comes out.

Like I said, I believe fighting against a human is your best shot. It can be difficult, because depending on who your friends are, you may not have much luck. They may not be the level of gamer you are, and get bored of it, or they may just suck at the game period, which doesn't help. When you have a human, that's equal to your level, it gives you a challenge, and you'll be surprised the things you teach yourself that you find as advanced techs on FAQs later. If you don't, I think your best bet is to watch vids and fight computers. Computers are tediously easy at this point for me, but for a beginner, they'll give you quite a run for a long time, and you'll pick up things.

4. One word of Advice

I've given most the advice I can give, I suppose. One thing that's imperative, in my opinion, is the mastery of dodging, smashing, and items, if you use them. Habitually use the dodge roll, it's easy for people to pick up. From there, you'll slowly master the midair dodge, which always comes in handy. Also, raking up damage can be easy, but surprisingly, it takes a lot of skill to know where and when to perform that perfectly timed smash attack that sends them flying. See what you like. And uh, catching items in midair is huge. It saves you the trouble of having to land on ground to pick it up if you're say, jumping through a platform. If you play item matches like a friend and I, we hardly even ever use the item's functions, they act as effective projectiles.

This was probably way longer than it should've been. Oh well, maybe it'll be more incentive to get in on this great series.

Top Bottom