• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok guys I'm not too much of a conspiracy theorist and this is about a week late, but with Hero and BK appearing on Seph's trailer, maybe, just maybe, Sephiroth was meant to be revealed at this year's E3 had it not been for COVID.

Of course I get it. The possibility of Steve and Sephiroth being revealed at E3 at the same time would've meant DLC progressed way faster than expected because we'd be on the halfway point of Vol 2 within a couple of months which wouldn't have made any sense for the December 2021 deadline, and it's also more logical to believe the trailer was made after Summer. I just wanted to give it a thought cause what if man.
I mean, the December 2021 deadline was just a safety net at the end of the day.

The first FP had to finish in a year, they probably just gave themselves more wiggle room in case some things went FUBAR, like what happened with COVID.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's a joke theory I made that said: "Well, since the FP2 logo has a fire theme, every character will incorporate fire into their moveset in some way."

I'm 3/3 bay-beh. :nifty:
ah so scorpion's confirmed. good.

Yeah he definitely takes some getting used to. He's got considerable startup and end lag like I thought before he released but... at least his general movement speed isn't too bad.
his side special honestly needs a buff in hitbox department if they want me to use it

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
As much as I want characters in Smash, for the most part, I'm pretty detached from who gets in and who doesn't. If my top pick gets deconfirmed, I'm disappointed for about 10 min and then move on. My most wanted has been in the game since Brawl.

I swear, no matter what happens with Smash, returning to the game and selecting Lucas just makes me feel like I'm coming home after a long time away, and as corny as this sounds, I hope everyone at some point has a character like that. I'm glad my obscure JRPG region-locked character is here to stay, and I feel very fortunate he was able to get into Brawl in the first place.

Does anyone else have their most wanted and are just here for the wild ride? Perhaps that character was Sephiroth for many people.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well....

Fire Theory lives. :nifty:

I'm only slightly sorry for thinking up a dumb theory.:4pacman:
just wait until pyra, flareon, and mars djinn get involved
Does anyone else have their most wanted and are just here for the wild ride?
Well, I have my most wanted third-party, at least.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So for anyone that has gotten Sephiroth. How you liking him so far? Is he as you guys expected?
Eh, don't get me wrong the addition of Sephiroth is cool and he brings some unique abilities to the table, but personally he doesn't suit my play style. I probably wasn't playing as him correctly, but at least online he's too slow for me to keep up with other characters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I prefer Dante, but I think the stars are aligning for Monster Hunter.
This is basically the "too many swordfighters" argument, but I feel that Dante is a little too similar to Sephiroth. I would say the same about Alucard from Castlevania.
It's almost like the Doom Slayer vs. Master Chief debacle.
I don't think there's an overlap between Sephy and Dante. I mean, if Dante is CP9 it feels like it because both would release back to back.

But gameplay wise Dante could be a lot different from Sephiroth, depending on how they implement him.

Shroob

Sup?
This is basically the "too many swordfighters" argument, but I feel that Dante is a little too similar to Sephiroth. I would say the same about Alucard from Castlevania.
Dante's nothing like Sephiroth.

Visually sure, gameplaywise not at all.

So for anyone that has gotten Sephiroth. How you liking him so far? Is he as you guys expected?
Definitely fun. I will say that he feels a little sticky when he lands after an attack. All of his aerials have a good amount of landing lag, so you can't just run when you hit the floor. That said, his up-B is probably my favorite in the game visually.
he's slow but powerful

also side special is ****, never use it until they buff the hitbox because you will never ever ever hit it
I kind of agree. I don't know if you mean width as well, but for a projectile that doesn't have real knockback on use, it's really stubby.

Last edited:
Oops, meant to edit my last post.

Honestly, if there was a character that was a semi-clone of Sephiroth that traded range for frame data, it would probably be my favorite character in the game.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It's so funny to me that this was highlighted. In what circumstances would you ever need to follow up Gigaflare with anything?

Well, you do get style points I guess...
Sakurai probably recognized that there are quite a few people who really want to be on "The ULTIMATE Salt is Real".

If you somehow managed to hit someone with it at 0%, it would be good for racking up damage, but that's about it.
It would have to be the hardest of callouts or a shieldbreak really. Leffen just landed a Gigaflare -> F-Smash in Winged mode after a shieldbreak (in training mode, sure, but still). Or disrespect.

I should note that Megaflare is enough to kill middleweights at ledge at around 60 %, and the explosion is large enough to cover the ledge if the opponent lingers too long.

Offensive powerhouse (Leffen called him initially "Byleth on crack" before deciding it's not enough) who's a featherweight and likely will have a lot of trouble on the defensive. Kinda like a swordie Pichu. Not really what I expected, but hey.

A slightly charged Down Smash is pretty fast, safe and can break shields quickly if the opponent's not careful. And it can be difficult to react to. Down Air can also break shields in the right circumstances.

Smash attacks have Super Armor in Winged mode, so RIP Little Mac.

If fighting against him, it's worth noting that he doesn't react that well if he's already pressured - he doesn't have super-fast attacks to allieviate that, although they're overall kinda fast. Still, he's incredibly potent, and I like that (even if it's bonkers, and streamers are discovering Sephiroth combos already).

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm honestly happy that we have pretty much now nothing really lingering in the air anymore.

There's a few forgettable text leaks, but honestly, we can just wait and see what happens in March.
Don't get ahead of yourself. I'm sure early 2021 will bring us some barely credible 4chan leak/vague Vergeben statement that will get people all riled up.

But for now we can all enjoy the holiday season.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Guys

SEPHIROTH DOESN'T HAVE A SPIRIT BOARD
it isnt available yet, you'd think that we would already know if he didnt

there's a full space full of dlc spirit events, you think there's gonna be a dlc spirit board with no dlc character?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still think this was the main one when I was a kid.

View attachment 296122
True. Crash was there and he was popular, and I don't even know anybody who owned a Saturn when it was current... but somehow my experience was either just people fighting about Mario and Sonic, or OoT and FF7. ¯\(ツ)

Even with Crash and his megaphone. Though I was also four and an ocean away when that commercial came out, so what do I know.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Dante is NOTHING like Sephiroth. Sephiroth is evil and has a style completely different than Dante. “Oh they have a sword and white hair.” Guess what Dante has. A sword, transforming nunchucks, a motorcycle sword, wind and fire dual blades, summon swords, fire gauntlets and greaves, metal wings that stick thorns into you that explode when a rose is thrown at them, and an electric guitar that shoots bats. Let’s not forget his dual pistols, shot gun, dual rocket launchers, magic hat, and magic brief case that can shift between 666 different forms! Dante is also a fun loving guy with a lot of personality and he loves to play with his enemies! He’s also got TWO different forms!

TL;DR Dante is VERY different than Sephiroth if you more than glance at him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The reason Miis got announced first this time is because he used the FF7 Miis during the presentation of Sephiroth's moveset, and that would have spoiled their reveal if he didn't do it first.
It's hard to know if he used them because the reveal was planned first, or because he used them they had to preface with the reveal.

I'd imagine it's the former because they must map out the general order of the presentation ahead of filming even if its unscripted.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Smash attacks have Super Armor in Winged mode, so RIP Little Mac.
It always feels bad when new characters do things that bad characters do, but less stupid.

And dang, Sephiroth just improved on the ideas behind some of both Little Mac, and Lucario's mechanics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom