• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I did list evidence earlier.
Alright then...

Very popular in Japan
It's far from the only franchise popular in Japan that has yet to be in Smash, so I don't really see this as an argument for a specific character in general.

Mii Costumes are still missing
And we've seen some of the missing outfits be given in waves that don't necessarily match the company's, with Heihachi and Gil, two Namco characters, having their outfits handed out in the Min Min and Steve waves respectively, so it's possible the same could happen for Monster Hunter.

amiibo and Rise being on the same day
This kind of argument has worked so rarely that I'm baffled people keep using it constantly.

Weren't Doom Slayer and Hayabusa "basically" guaranteed for Game Awards due to their franchises having anniversaries that week?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
To think Sephiroth of all characters made it to Smash. Consider me speechless. His speed, and mobility will definitely take a nosedive thanks to that sword, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what he can do.

But I wonder if Cloud's new Final Smash is just for Sephiroth alone, or is it formatted so that he can do it whenever while in his Advent Children outfit?

D

Deleted member

I would assume the dates line up because it makes more fiscal sense to ship the MH Rise amiibo and the Smash amiibo together considering they come from the same manufacturer, go to the same retail locations, and are handled distribution-wise by the same company. It's not the first time amiibo from different series have launched together, there's a financial aspect which incentivizes it.
This isn't just the Monster Hunter amiibos. They come out on the same date that Monster Hunter: Rise itself releases.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So how long has it taken anyone to stop predicting at some point?

Because Sephiroth is where I've stopped at. Sakurai is unpredictable.
Eh, I think part of it is predicting what’s next while also putting some predictions out there of who people like to see.

I think that’s how it’s always been, quite frankly. But that’s why we’re here, right? To speculate?

I guess I can’t really quit until I see the true meltdown that comes with the arrival of speculation when we’re down to the final character. That’ll be some good ****.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So how long has it taken anyone to stop predicting at some point?

Because Sephiroth is where I've stopped at. Sakurai is unpredictable.
If Sephiroth is what it takes for you to call it quits and say Sakurai is unpredictable, then I'd sure as hell like to know what Smash game YOU'VE been following.

Nobody except the most cocky mother****ers speculate because they think they can predict the way Smash will go. Nobody here knows which way the fates will blow, and if you think you do, you're kiddin' yourself.

People speculate because it's fun to imagine what-if scenarios. It's fun to talk about potential characters and imagine the way Sakurai would implement them. We ain't here for the brownie points of being right, we're here to talk about what it would be like to see our favorite characters realized in Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This isn't just the Monster Hunter amiibos. They come out on the same date that Monster Hunter: Rise itself releases.
That doesn't have to mean anything.

If we got a character for every third-party release, Ultimate would have a roster that's like, 3 to 5 times bigger than it already is right now.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think the next characters will be a Pokemon, a joke character, and a character from an obscure franchise
Do you agree?
I agree pretty much I feel like Smash is starting to get to the point it is harder to predict characters. So I can't count that out happening.

blackghost

Smash Champion
idk why im seeing people latch on to AT now that are third party. ATs just seem very unlikley. zero and alucard arent people i see as likely. (thank god its impossible for zero to be anything but a top tier in anything)

if SF gets another character chun-li takes it even over akuma. but warning Chun-li is good in every game shes in that is outside street fighter (except marvel 2) three jumps and a lot of speed.

monster hunter has a lot going for it. it already has content in the game and yet isnt playable AND its massive in japan and the US, nintnedo brass should like/favor the IP due to the sales of world and the hype on the new switch game.

our favorite tomb raider is likely done. three SE characters just would be ALOT and unless nintendo is wanting to get close to SE for something in the future i dont think its likely.

i do think there is at least one more nintendo IP left.

also on a side note sakurai is getting better and betterat making these mid range characters: corrin (on release) to simon to byleth to minmin to sephiroth. each one got better and better and more and more interactive for both players.

im super happy with this he was my number 2 for DLC. with my number one likely dead (dante) my new top one is chun-li.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Right, because they want the MH game and the MH amiibos to be available concurrently. So, because the Smash amiibos might be tied to the MH amiibos for cost reasons, therefore the Smash amiibos launch with MH Rise as well.

The Octoling amiibos launched with Ridley, Inkling and Wolf. The Link's Awakening amiibo launched with Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur. They do this on purpose, for financial expediency.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Small tangent, but I've seen several posts before about how there's a certain unrealness about Sephiroth being in. I mean, he's a very popular character, so it's weird to see that he didn't get much support or discussion beforehand.

Aside from the fact that he's from Square-Enix (and that other SE characters were frontrunners of speculation), I feel the main "unrealness" factor about Sephiroth can be attributed to the fact that he's usually portrayed as a super overpowered boss in any game he appears in. It felt like for Sephiroth, he was in the same "boss character" situation as Ridley, in that he would've simply been too overpowered as a character, at most I would've pictured him as a boss of some kind ala Dracula or Marx. However, I'm glad that Sephiroth's moves shown so far have that appearance of over-the-top power that I know him for. I'm personally very excited to see what his moveset looks like in more detail next week.
His trailer also gives that feeling of overpowered with him defeating Galeem in one hit

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Something I was thinking about; does my most wanted being a crackpot choice with virtually no chance... make it hard for me to relate to people whose most wanted actually feels within reach to them? I ponder it because maybe it's unfair of me to act like I'm in the same boat as other speculators who end up getting burned - which there will surely be no shortage of when all is said and done.
Speaking as a person whos most wanted has been Bandanna Dee sense the Smash For days, it's been... rough.

Honestly, only about 3 of the DLC characters would have been purchases for me, 4 if you include the fact that I got Plant during it's freebie period, and in more of a "That's cool" rather than a "Dreams come true" sense. Even then, two of them were more of a Monkey's Paw: I'd would have preferred Slime to Hero and Spring Man to Min Min. (If you're wondering, the last character I would purchase would be B&K).

I'm already feeling pretty burnt out; It feels like everyone's getting their wishes come true while I'm still waiting on my most wanted. Unlike most who might have some qualms with the roster but are okay with it because they got their most wanted, I don't have that. I'm feeling fairly left out, and a touch frustrated because of it.

Honestly, it's getting to the point where I would prefer to go to the next game rather than wait around on the DLC because I feel BWD have better chances as a Base Roster character rather than DLC.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
idk why im seeing people latch on to AT now that are third party. ATs just seem very unlikley. zero and alucard arent people i see as likely. (thank god its impossible for zero to be anything but a top tier in anything)
But Zero would be fun (even if he unironically really will break Smash). If not him then I will accept Vergil as an alternative. :popcorn:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So this was found, a post from October 6th, right after the Steve presentation.
Yes, from 5chan.
Make of that what you will.

39 :名無しさん必死だな:2020/10/06(火) 02:04:48.28 ID:aZ22kCgS0.net
ソニーっていうかセフィロスとクラッシュ来るよ
残りはこの2体と東方の霊夢とゼノサーガのKOSMOS
かなり攻めたラインナップだから荒れそう
Mii衣装から参戦することは残念だけどないです

Not really Sony reps, but Sephiroth and Crash are coming.
The remainings are these two and Reimu from Touhou and KOSMOS from Xenosaga.
The lineup is trying way too hard to play to the crowd so it won't be pretty.
Unfortunately, there won't be any promotions from Mii costumes.

http://anago.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ghard/1601895454/39
This is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Don't expect anything to come of it but keep it in your thoughts - Sephiroth is a very ballsy guess when you live a couple months in the past.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's less, "There's evidence of it happening," and more, "It makes more sense than most of the other third-parties at this point".

I've been saying that I think MH is pretty likely for a while now. Literally an hour or two before yesterday's reveal, I said that I thought MH was underestimated and could possibly be the new character. Regardless, even though I have a lot of material to argue in favor of a MH rep getting in, none of it amounts to much more than observations. Saying MH is popular in Japan is the same argument someone could use for Puyo Puyo. Saying MH is more likely because it already has content in Smash is something that could've been said for Bomberman up until October.

The only thing that could possibly be used as evidence is the absence of the MH Mii costumes, and that could easily be explained with a different Capcom character getting in.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The idea of a Capcom character in this pass being anyone that isn't Dante just sounds like a comical failure to read the room. And I don't even care much for him or DMC.
* pokes head through paper cutout hole *
Are you sure about that?
Ok, you know what?

I'm gonna finally say it.

Neither Dante, nor Phoenix, nor Monster Hunter are in.

Our Capcom rep is JIN SAOTOME, and I will not take no for an answer.
068e3dc89f62ed2dbae716d8710895ac.gif

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Don't expect anything to come of it but keep it in your thoughts - Sephiroth would be a very tough guess when you live a couple months in the past.
I guarantee you any character that gets brought up at least once in a while like Sephiroth did has a fake leak out there somewhere with their name on it, by simple virtue of the sheer quantity of fake leaks. None of the other characters listed are accounted for, so all that this is currently, is having one correct guess.

But there were lists that even had Richter on them. A sole lucky guess not outside the norm for what fake leaks are easily capable of.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Mostly I'm just being optimistic for who I want and looking for whoever might be flying under the radar. The Min Min-Steve gap quashed a lot of my investment; Now I've learned that it's better to just roll with it and see where it takes you.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I guarantee you any character that gets brought up at least once in a while like Sephiroth did has a fake leak out there somewhere with their name on it, by simple virtue of the sheer quantity of fake leaks. None of the other characters listed are accounted for, so all that this is currently, is having one correct guess.

But there were lists that even had Richter on them. A sole lucky guess not outside the norm for what fake leaks are easily capable of.
While true, it's still worth keeping an eye on to see if we get more than just Sephiroth and arguably Crash because he just feels like a no-brainer pick to me.

If either Reimu or KOS-MOS gets shown, that's when we really have to take the time to seriously consider this leak.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

I would at the very least consider a "sole lucky guess" to be a sort of great filter when it comes to the ocean of nonsense fake leaks.
Like, seriously don't latch on to this leak (or any leak), you're setting yourself up for a nasty burn. Buuuut - don't dismiss it either, is all I'm saying here.

Most text leaks of this kind, they die when the next reveal happens. Those that don't warrant attention, though certainly not blind faith.
If Fighter 9 is one of the names mentioned here as well, then, then, it merits very serious discussion.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Sephiroth is what it takes for you to call it quits and say Sakurai is unpredictable, then I'd sure as hell like to know what Smash game YOU'VE been following.

Nobody except the most cocky mother****ers speculate because they think they can predict the way Smash will go. Nobody here knows which way the fates will blow, and if you think you do, you're kiddin' yourself.

People speculate because it's fun to imagine what-if scenarios. It's fun to talk about potential characters and imagine the way Sakurai would implement them. We ain't here for the brownie points of being right, we're here to talk about what it would be like to see our favorite characters realized in Smash.
The reason I continued to make predictions was that it was fun like speculating but having Sephiroth revealed which no one would have expected since Joker, I've pretty much admitted defeat at this point.

Also, I was pretty much absent in Sm4sh and just got back into Nintendo late August 2018.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While true, it's still worth keeping an eye on to see if we get more than just Sephiroth and arguably Crash because he just feels like a no-brainer pick to me.

If either Reimu or KOS-MOS gets shown, that's when we really have to take the time to seriously consider this leak.
Like, I'm not saying throw it in the garbage and never think about it again, but it's far too early to be treating it with anything more than extreme skepticism.

I'd say it needs to get two more characters correct and zero wrong before it's safe to say that there's a good chance it's valid.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok, you know what?

View attachment 295177
Smh the Amingo cultist has forsoken Him. As punishment the Capcom rep will be the Street Fighter Bonus Stage Car

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would at the very least consider a "sole lucky guess" to be a sort of great filter when it comes to the ocean of nonsense fake leaks.
Like, seriously don't latch on to this leak (or any leak), you're setting yourself up for a nasty burn. Buuuut - don't dismiss it either, is all I'm saying here.

Most text leaks of this kind, they die when the next reveal happens. Those that don't warrant attention, though certainly not blind faith.
If Fighter 9 is one of the names mentioned here as well, then, then, it merits very serious discussion.
Yeah, a sole lucky guess is better than no matching info, but that's a pretty low bar, because you're still going to have dozens, if not hundreds of fake leaks that got one thing correct.

My point is this leak is not impressive or convincing, but I'm not saying it should be forgotten. It should be given the chance to prove itself. I just would remind everyone that it's very very very likely to be fake.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I can't really see KOS-MOS getting in unless Sakurai vouches for her, and I don't know why he would. Xenosaga has been buried for years, with Namco Bandai themselves even saying that a remaster isn't happening because it's not profitable enough.
Xenosaga itself might not be profitable, but they're still making and selling KOS-MOS stuff in 2020.
Plus, Smash generates attention by itself. Having Nintendo pay -your- workers to put one of your own characters into Smash, then having that inclusion work as advertisement for a remaster seems like a win-win move for Namco Bandai. It's a marketing campaign that pays you money, that probably changes the profitability just a bit.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Up until Sephiroth. Who was the last character that wasn't leaked? Curious.

That's what makes Sephiroth's reveal even greater.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

I was going to say Steve, but apparently Steve was leaked minutes in advanced? But uh - I never found out about that! Which is nice, made the reveal a lot better.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

Byleth was leaked, so Joker.
Joker.
Apparently Steve was leaked minutes in advanced? But uh - I never found out about that! Which is nice, made the reveal a lot better.
The night before I think, but I didn't believe it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Ok, you know what?

View attachment 295177
I'm down for that, Along with Spiderman, Megaman, and Wolverine, I remember Jin being my go to character in Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Superheros.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can we talk about Eggman now?
Because Eggman is ****ing dope, he's the most recognizable villain that isn't in Smash yet.

View attachment 295178
Picture this:

It is March 2021. Nintendo put out a new direct, and you get to the part where they have one last announcement. Fade to black, the famous Smash cross shows up... And then you see this:
1607726633140.png

"I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT-"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom