• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just saying, Pokemon was essentially the Minecraft/Fortnite of it's day

Kids loved it, everyone else was pretty irritated with it. Look where it is now
Oh yeah.

Remember when Nostalgia Critic was pretty adamant Pokemon was just a fad, late into the 2000s?

It irritated a LOT of older folks.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
One thing I do hope for is that the Vault Boy Mii costume has some kind of glitch. Yes I'm seriously asking for this because you know people are going to jump onto that and say Todd Howard manipulated the code or some kind of crazy theory like that because "Todd Howard" or "Bethesda sent over some glitched out assets."

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If we are talking about some of the last big 3rd party names in gaming yet to join Smash then you gotta mention my boy Crash Bandicoot.

A lot of us are still waiting for this iconic moment to happen.

View attachment 276033
I think.
And I say "I think" the issue with Crash is that after the PS1 Era he sorta just disappeared, making appearances in games of questionable qualities, before switching owners so much and he never got to keep that """""revelancy""""" like let's say Sonic even with his bad games, or like Sora, Master Chief and Dante where each of their apparition and game announcement is a earthquake in the gaming community.
So """"more""""" people got to grew up with them still being at their primes for 10+years than Crash rapid fire of game on the PS1 and the the decline before the amazing resurgence and revival we are seeing.

Yknow, like, more people got to enjoy them in the long run with the abundance of games and how much they get talked and marked to define the genre?

Id still like crash tho, don't get me wrong.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think.
And I say "I think" the issue with Crash is that after the PS1 Era he sorta just disappeared, making appearances in games of questionable qualities, before switching owners so much and he never got to keep that """""revelancy""""" like let's say Sonic even with his bad games, or like Sora, Master Chief and Dante where each of their apparition and game announcement is a earthquake in the gaming community.
So """"more""""" people got to grew up with them still being at their primes for 10+years than Crash rapid fire of game on the PS1 and the the decline before the amazing resurgence and revival we are seeing.

Yknow, like, more people got to enjoy them in the long run with the abundance of games and how much they get talked and marked to define the genre?

Id still like crash tho, don't get me wrong.
Eh....

There were a lot of Crash games released in the 2000s. Many of them like the GBA games and Twinsanity are even remembered fondly.

If you can say Sonic and his bad games can keep their relevency, I'd say Crash did too.

And I'll just say, look at how the N.Sane Trilogy and the new game have been received. They're pretty beloved.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh yeah.

Remember when Nostalgia Critic was pretty adamant Pokemon was just a fad, late into the 2000s?

It irritated a LOT of older folks.
People remember the nostalgia critic?

I guess the critic... became the nostalgia.
I never forgot the nostalgia critic.

But I also never knew that he was convinced Pokemon was just a fad.

Until now, anyway. That's worth remembering.

D

Deleted member

Broke: "The Ness Eye glitch means he's being used as a base character for Layton! They have the same kind of eyes!"

Woke:

Same eyes, you say?
View attachment 276023
**** yes. Hell to the Yes. Chorus Kids or any other Rhythm Heaven character for that matter would be awesome I sincerely think the series should be represented in the roster and is one of the bigger first party franchises missing. Let's go Chorus Kids.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Okay, how would people react if Sora was the next fighter after Min Min, and a Switch port of 1.5+2.5 was announced alongside his announcement?
People Smash reaction:
TWOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUSSSSSSIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switch port reaction:
THE FRAMERATE

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Eh....

There were a lot of Crash games released in the 2000s. Many of them like the GBA games and Twinsanity are even remembered fondly.

If you can say Sonic and his bad games can keep their relevency, I'd say Crash did too.

And I'll just say, look at how the N.Sane Trilogy and the new game have been received. They're pretty beloved.
Yeah, but while Sonic we just kept getting Games and they kept getting re-released, it took us nearly 4 generation of console for the bandicoot to get back in form that's exactly what I talked about with the "revival" of crash recently with the games being amazing.

I didn't meant he wasnt iconic. What I meant is that multiples generation of gamers got to enjoy Sora/MC/Dante still at their prime for a long span of years. Which is what probably help in the general consciousness of why for exemple, even you though of Sora as the last big Cloud/Sonic/Megaman when Crash was right under your nose yknow?

Crash is ****ing iconic. But for players in the 2000/2010 it might have been hard to find the appeal with the non-exitant re-release and mehish quality games when fans wanted the classic bandicoot back when you can just pick-up any KH , Halor or DMC games (beside 2 shhh) and still get a great/amazing game directly on current hardware for 3 generation

ZelDan

Smash Master
If a franchise has managed to have an impact on the gaming industry/gaming medium and has had a good number of beloved/successful games, then I don't think it should be discarded just because it's been through harder times than other franchises.

Granted, I say this as someone who'd love to see a Contra rep, and Contra hasn't had a "big" or widely acclaimed title since, well, the SNES/Genesis days (IIRC). Still, it can't be denied how big of a deal Contra was for gaming, that the earlier games were successful atleast (AFAIK) and how it was the father of the Konami code, which would become a pretty big part of gaming culture and even be used as an easter egg for multiple websites and such.

Bringing it back to Crash, I'd say that Crash would certainly be a great fit for Smash because, again, Crash was HUGE back in his early tears. Hell, even Crash 4 has seemingly gotten alot of buzz and attention (the reveal video I saw from Sony I think was at 2.9 million views or something like that).

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Granted, I say this as someone who'd love to see a Contra rep, and Contra hasn't had a "big" or widely acclaimed title since, well, the SNES/Genesis days (IIRC). Still, it can't be denied how big of a deal Contra was for gaming, that the earlier games were successful atleast (AFAIK) and how it was the father of the Konami code, which would become a pretty big part of gaming culture and even be used as an easter egg for multiple websites and such.
Contra...Man...The last game still ****ing hurt.
What the **** was that?

People Smash reaction:
TWOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUSSSSSSIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switch port reaction:
THE FRAMERATE
I swear to god, if the Switch can't play 3 PS2 games and a PSP game, I'm going to asks Nintendo to give us their Black wizardry on how they make their game run on switch.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Contra...Man...The last game still ****ing hurt.
What the **** was that?

I swear to god, if the Switch can't play 3 PS2 games and a PSP game, I'm going to asks Nintendo to give us their Black wizardry on how they make their game run on switch.
Honestly, I've never really looked into what made many people negatively respond or review the last Contra game. I'll say I wasn't entirely crazy of the visuals/art direction of what I remember of it.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I watched Sakurai's Min Min gameplay once again and I'm still of the opinion that the way how he played as her is not the correct one. I'm under the impression that there are some good strategies that could be applied with that moveset that Sakurai did not use.
And I'm convinced that the heavy Arm is not only good for busy free for alls, but also for 1v1 as long as you put your opponent in situations where he/she can't defend.

I don't know why, I get a Kirby vibe from that character... I mean, she has some powerful moves that can easily KO the opponent, but they are risky and easy to punish in case you miss; she is also not very powerful in close range combat, so, you have to weaken your opponent with weak but fast attacks and deal the final hit with one of those risky moves... the same type of playstyle that I have with Kirby. Running away and stay at a range is probably not the best strategy because if the enemy is faster you will never find the ideal situation to attack and you will always be in disadvantage; you probably have to attack the enemy without giving him/her time to react.

I can be wrong, this is just the impression I got from watching Sakurai's gameplay.

Also, regarding counter attacks, when I played Smash 4 online, I used Kirby's up-b to activate counter attacks without getting hit countless times... it's not easy and you must be very precise, but if you do it right, you can use their counters against them, because as you land you will deal the wave of the final cutter, stun the enemy and maybe chain another attack. Min Min can activate the counters and use the second punch when the opponent can't react, so it's pretty similar... that's probably when the heavy arm can be useful if timing allows for that. I imagine that she will have a lot of troubles in fighting on stages with complex shapes, and definitely be in advantage on flat stages.

Anyway, I think that so far she's my favorite newcomer after Piranha Plant.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Games that start trending and getting popular (especially with children) usually go through the wringer with a cycle of hateful reception. I'm not surprised that Pokemon and other older games went through it, too.

These phases are just more easily noticeable nowadays because of advancing technology and the rise and current abundance of social media in everyone's lives.

Five Night's at Freddy's got hit with it. Minecraft got hit with it. Undertale got hit with it. Now, Fortnite's getting the brunt of it.

Criticism of all these games aren't necessarily unjustified. It's just where the toxic hatred and bashing of fans in general for daring to associate with the game where it goes too far.

Thing is, FNaF, MC and UT all went through their cycles. It's not "cool" to hate on the games or insult their fans anymore.

Fortnite will eventually reach that same point. It might just take longer since it not only has a massive playerbase, but it's also got a very prominent and profitable competitive scene in addition to a huge casual playerbase. It's another animal in that regard. It gets talked about it all kinds of gaming circles. So it might take considerably long for the hate to die down by comparison.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Okay, how would people react if Sora was the next fighter after Min Min, and a Switch port of 1.5+2.5 was announced alongside his announcement?
Pure tears of joy...I wouldn't be able to calm down for the rest of that day just like Banjo's reveal. Sora is another dream character I would simply lose it for and hope the port will run good on Switch.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
People remember the nostalgia critic?

I guess the critic... became the nostalgia.
What even happened to him? Last I heard his channel imploded and that was about it.

There’s no spirit event/tourney this week, however...

Looks like the next update will contain balancing, so get those replays converted to video!
Hoping for some good sized buffs here, it's been five months since the last one so they had a good amount of time to assess and see which characters could use some changes to get better.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What even happened to him? Last I heard his channel imploded and that was about it.

Hoping for some good sized buffs here, it's been five months since the last one so they had a good amount of time to assess and see which characters could use some changes to get better.
I can't even fit it under 200 words even if I tried.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
He and his crew still upload reviews, but Channel Awesome suffered a pretty big hit with several creators leaving a few years ago.

I'm gonna leave it at this: it involved some,... claims of very bad things. For the critic's part, though, it was merely about his incompetence on addressing the situation. The claims themselves involved one or two unrelated creators on the site, IIRC...

That's what I can remember about it.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
Space Harrier made a cameo in smash ultimate ARMS presentation only in some versions which they shown Sakurai's video game consoles.

This means nothing at all.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
And a lot of us Bomberman fans were hoping for this iconic rematch to happen....
View attachment 276037
Me personally and honestly think Bomberman got the biggest screw over out of any Assist Trophy and that one kind of hurt and surprised a lot of people when it was unveiled from what I'm aware of.

Not only was he around my "Top 5-7 most wanted newcomers", But he just seemed like a character that, Grant it he wasn't as big as some of them, But he was still a significant name that seemed like he was suppose to end up in Smash with other 80's NES/Arcade era icons like Mario, DK, Pac Man, Mega Man etc.

Hell he even had his N64 games published under Nintendo when he was still owned and the mascot of "Hudson Soft" and seemed like an obvious choice when the franchise was revived when "Super Bomberman R" launched exclusively in 2017 for the Nintendo Switch.

Makes me wonder what his playable status would have been if Hudson Soft was still around and didn't got absorbed under Konami or if that even played a factor.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
And there were examples of Sakurai saying Ridley won't be playable too and that kind of went in the toilet.

I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer...it’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.
Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to...if I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.
I like how people just keep on citing this to convince other to always think of the opposite while we just had Heihachi, one of the few remaining considered characters that are still directly rejected from joining, shot down again for Ultimate. Sakurai is human, he makes a new design philosophy and go back on previous problems to see if they can work among this new direction, sometimes it's still not happening.

That said...the silly old Ridley excuse doesn't speak much since fan-favorites like Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac weren't the first things to be officially ballot influences or traditional popular additions (as last minute characters) like Dark Samus, Chrom and Isabelle.
Think about it: a smaller guest series became the debuting ballot influence at the climax of Smash 4's DLC, a once-denied antagonist from lesser major Nintendo IP was the first ballot influence to be shown off for Ultimate, then came the other two official ballot influnences, a very slept on guest series from Konami and long-absent antagonist from one of Nintendo's popular subseries.

All those got in while other fan-favorites that might've had similar chances to one of the ballot influences didn't, not even first. A Waluigi reveal at E3 2018 would've been a no-brainer even. Shadow would've been that glaring omission if its about a 3rd party series getting an echo fighter. Etcetera, Etcetera. None of those were ballot influence despite how "go-to" they were among the speculation.

and besides, they were very admant about no current game Assist Trophy upgrades in the past anyways while saying nothing about the display like the Trophies.
DeconfirmedAssistTrophies.png

Not only why we wait for next game to see the upgrades, this was ALSO why we had not Assist Trophies last game's DLC season. The effort is already done and suddenly going back while making the current game it just tell you if the extra work was even neccessary? (especially some of the additional work would've gone to some new mode, online squad strike, or doing another suggestion)

Personally, I think it's much better to set this speculation aside for the time again, so nobody gets hurt on the wait.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will say.

Min Min, and ARMS content in general has been received much better than most predicted before the reveal.

Even the naysayers who complained that it was an ARMS character in general seem excited.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say.

Min Min, and ARMS content in general has been received much better than most predicted before the reveal.

Even the naysayers who complained that it was an ARMS character in general seem excited.
To be fair

I'm excited 'cause it's new content in a 6 month drought. :4larry:

Also, this means we're probably on track to get the other DLC characters within a 3 month time frame of one another.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like how people just keep on citing this to convince other to always think of the opposite while we just had Heihachi, one of the few remaining considered characters that are still directly rejected from joining, shot down again for Ultimate. Sakurai is human, he makes a new design philosophy and go back on previous problems to see if they can work among this new direction, sometimes it's still not happening.

That said...the silly old Ridley excuse doesn't speak much since fan-favorites like Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac weren't the first things to be officially ballot influences or traditional popular additions (as last minute characters) like Dark Samus, Chrom and Isabelle.
Think about it: a smaller guest series became the debuting ballot influence at the climax of Smash 4's DLC, a once-denied antagonist from lesser major Nintendo IP was the first ballot influence to be shown off for Ultimate, then came the other two official ballot influnences, a very slept on guest series from Konami and long-absent antagonist from one of Nintendo's popular subseries.

All those got in while other fan-favorites that might've had similar chances to one of the ballot influences didn't, not even first. A Waluigi reveal at E3 2018 would've been a no-brainer even. Shadow would've been that glaring omission if its about a 3rd party series getting an echo fighter. Etcetera, Etcetera. None of those were ballot influence despite how "go-to" they were among the speculation.

and besides, they were very admant about no current game Assist Trophy upgrades in the past anyways while saying nothing about the display like the Trophies.
View attachment 276035
Not only why we wait for next game to see the upgrades, this was ALSO why we had not Assist Trophies last game's DLC season. The effort is already done and suddenly going back while making the current game it just tell you if the extra work was even neccessary? (especially some of the additional work would've gone to some new mode, online squad strike, or doing another suggestion)

Personally, I think it's much better to set this speculation aside for the time again, so nobody gets hurt on the wait.
To be fair, they never said ATs wouldn’t be promoted within the same game (at least not that I remember, I think this came up before and I couldn’t find anything about Sakurai or anyone else from his team and Nintendo actually saying it), and they haven’t had two seasons of DLC before, with the “No ATs” pattern only being able to start one game ago.

Of course they were out of the running for Pass 1, as that was decided alongside later basegame development as we learned, but personally I’m not sure about Pass 2, as it was decided last year, and they could always have an AT be disabled if the fighter is in play; about 3/4ths of the current ATs are disabled in certain stages as well. AT promotions do appear to be unlikely, however, I’ll agree there.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I will say.

Probably because she looks fun as hell. Plus, they went with a choice that actually somewhat came out of left field, as opposed to Spring Man, the obvious protagonist that a lot of people were expecting.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I could see Fortnite as the next big Mii Costume drop. It’s popular. Fortnite swordfighter with pickaxe and Fortnite gunner.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

View attachment 276035

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but K. Rool and Ridley, despite you seemingly trying to downplay them, were more popular than Waluigi, Isaac and Shadow. Maligning them for not being included would be advocating for less popular characters to get in before the more popular ones on the basis of popularity, which is strange. And Castlevania was because he was also looking for a new third-party series, which doesn't apply to those aforementioned characters. Also, Waluigi and Isaac wouldn't work as clones. Shadow would, and his omission was indeed conspicuous, but that doesn't single-handedly dismantle the argument. Who knows what behind-the-scenes hurdles there are with the third-parties.

Plus, Bayo wasn't truly added because of the ballot. Nintendo just said she was because they had already decided to add her, likely anticipating she was going to be more popular than she turned out to be.

Btw Isaac was influenced by the ballot, that's what brought him back.

Also, reaffirming characters are ATs isn't the same as saying they can't be upgraded. He's clarifying because those PotDs are the first time those characters were revealed, and people would've mistaken them for playable. Especially because 3/4 had never been on the battlefield prior.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

I think expectations in general have been tempered after Byleth and the 2 months of "IT'S ARMS! OK Bye". People who hate the addition - or even those who are neutral or positive towards her but don't want to be burned again - have the option of not buying the Pass and waiting a bit longer. Like me. Minmin's fine and isn't really convincing me to buy or boycott the pass, so I'll just wait it out a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom