• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Isn't telling someone what to do..... backseat modding?
Touché.

Regardless, it's probably better to report posts you believe are contributing to tension in the thread. As someone who's tried to pull the "everyone calm down" card myself many times, 11/10 times it really doesn't work.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey now, I don't want to assume everyone who thinks I'm sacrificing a goat every day to prevent Banjo getting a new game is a bad person
I was wondering where all those goats were dissapearing too lol

I hope you're right, because this pass was exactly what I wanted.
I really dont think we are getting another pass. The small text said the characters will be released individually, and sakurai himself said he didnt like the idea of a pass, because he didnt want people to commit to buying a pass ahead of time and not knowing if they will like everyone in it, as it seems quite a few people here can attest to.

Most likely this will be like smash 4, individual characters dropped every few months, with maybe some music and if lucky some may have a stage. As well as some more mii fighter outfots rolling out to dash those players dreams of a character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I dunno chief. I feel like Joker is becoming pretty damn iconic.
Well, sure. But everyone that gets into Smash BECOMES iconic. Just by dint of being in Smash.

I believe we're more talking about the character's status at the time they were selected to be in Smash.

I wanted to ask here what do people think about Steve from Minecraft in Smash?
I think he's perfect Mii costume material.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, sure. But everyone that gets into Smash BECOMES iconic. Just by dint of being in Smash.

I believe we're more talking about the character's status at the time they were selected to be in Smash.
Pretty much. Did litterally anyome care for ice climbers before melee? Be honest

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Pretty much. Did litterally anyome care for ice climbers before melee? Be honest
Even at the time, when Ice Climber wasn't even that old in the grand scheme of things, Expert Gamer had to have a sidebar in their Melee coverage labeled "Who?" where they explained the game they were from.

And we liked it.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I personally don't have much faith in the concept, but... what if we got a Sony character? Who would have the best chances?

I'd say Kratos, but I don't know if he does well in the east... if we're going classic, maybe Ratchet, Parappa or Spike from Ape Escape? If we're going modern, maybe Kat from Gravity Rush?

Just throwing it out there because we don't know what to expect from the next season.
For me the best choice from Sony would be Jak and Daxter. They were huge back on the PS2. I wouldn't count out Sony's more recent and maturely themed series either.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Steve is in a tricky place in my eyes. Minecraft is a generation defining game and I may even be so bold as to claim it's the most popular game of the 21st century so far. It's retained its popularity for 10 years now and is currently experiencing a sort of renaissance in popularity.

With all of those accolades it definitely is worthy of consideration, but Steve could easily be added as a Mii Costume for a Swordfighter as well. It could honestly go either way for me, and I would not be surprised if we got Steve in one of the future packs.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Even at the time, when Ice Climber wasn't even that old in the grand scheme of things, Expert Gamer had to have a sidebar in their Melee coverage labeled "Who?" where they explained the game they were from.

And we liked it.
Back in my day we lines keep makimg me feel so old , and im only 34 haha.

Actually, at the time Melee's intro was revealed there was one guy in the crowd who recognized them.

Well that guy must have been hyped haha.

I don't care about them now.
How dare you :p

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Steve is in a tricky place in my eyes. Minecraft is a generation defining game and I may even be so bold as to claim it's the most popular game of the 21st century so far. It's retained its popularity for 10 years now and is currently experiencing a sort of renaissance in popularity.

With all of those accolades it definitely is worthy of consideration, but Steve could easily be added as a Mii Costume for a Swordfighter as well. It could honestly go either way for me, and I would not be surprised if we got Steve in one of the future packs.
If we were to have a Steve Mii costume, you'd think they would've already included it alongside Banjo...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Steve would suck as a mii costume, but I'm biased so...

However, think about it:

-Steve himself can have nice animations even with his stiff limbs, as seen by videos people have made and I'm sure Sakurai would be willing to give Steve more animations like those since 1.) he's done that with every character, 2.) official Minecraft stuff already has emotions (Story Mode (no please) and Dungeons (looks very good imo and sticks to original style, but even with stiff limbs he could show personality); also, mobs in Minecraft Earth can blink like how one fan video showed Steve blink) and 3.) the original game already shows that Steve can move his limbs in any direction, so saying he'd be limited to the original game's animations is like saying Mario wouldn't have had some of the stuff he does in Smash or Mr. Game & Watch.

-A blocky mii costume would suck; unless they create new animations tied to this mii specifically, we're gonna have bendy limbs and whatnot. A Steve head on its own could work, but it'd suck not to have Minecraft weapons. Also, the only thing the miis can do that would fit Steve is a sword slash.

However I would still be happy for a mii costume if we were to get nothing instead.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Yeah you'd think so. Instead we got some leftover Capcom costumes, the sleeper surprise Goemon, and the bone boy that broke Twitter.
Sans took the bullet so that blocky boi may be the potential meme fighter

Talk about a heroic sacrifice

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
don't worry guys they're saving Steve for when they add Master Chief.
Steve + Master Chief double reveal to please everyone.

Let's be honest: if Steve gets in, his loud hatebase, whom are already a minority, are gonna change their tune just like with some other characters.

Last edited:

Bloxicon

Smash Rookie
I loved Toontown as a kid but the game's dead (officially at least. There are unnofficial servers that are run by fans.) and it's probably going to stay that way till the end of time.
Even if there's really no "official" form of Toontown currently out there, I still think that Flippy Doggenbottom would be a good start for when the Smash Bros. developers want to start adding MMORPG reps; he's a fairly iconic character as far as I know, and he technically originated from a game. I doubt Disney will want anything more to do with Toontown as a whole, but I suppose only time will tell.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
that's okay, maybe whoever you're wanting will get in.

I mainly meant in regards to the weird and constant bickering over Steve; hopefully some would accept him with Chief.

I just want this to end, at least I don't really see it much anymore I guess but it still bothers me when it appears even though there's way more fans.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really interested in any of the DLC so far. I'm hoping the second pack to contain a Mortal Kombat character, but I'm doubtful.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not really a matter of opinion, bruh.
It is though.

It's impossible to accurately gauge how "iconic" a character is, especially given that different characters are more or less iconic in different cultures. While Banjo can be considered iconic to Americans and Europeans, to the Japanese he's an absolute nobody. Hero is iconic to the Japanese (and Europeans), Terry is iconic to the Chinese and South Americans, and Joker/Persona is a more general, worldwide "iconic" (in this case popular) pick. That's pretty much what the last couple of pages have been saying.

Furthermore, insulting people doesn't get your argument anywhere. If anything, it conveys a large lack of an argument given that you have nothing else to resort to but personal attacks. Attack ideas over people.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While Banjo can be considered iconic to Americans and Europeans, to the Japanese he's an absolute nobody.
Just a nitpick, though I agree with you otherwise: a lot of Japanese fans loved Banjo, so I wouldn't say he's a nobody. Hero is definitely more popular over there, though.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I can very well see Steve getting in. No reason not to, and working with Microsoft is apparently easy. My desires however now lie in Master Chief when it comes to xbox characters. Hed be really unique, even against other fps characters. Regenerating shields and 2 weapon system could be some mechanics to transfer over into smash.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody think there is more undertale stuff coming, my idea is that sans mii costume is just to test if the community would respond well to it, eventually adding frisk as a character and more mii costumes, papyrus, flowey, idk some others characters that would work as miis. This is just my crazy conspiracy theory/prediction.
Check brawlfan1 youtube for a really good moveset for frisk.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I can very well see Steve getting in. No reason not to, and working with Microsoft is apparently easy. My desires however now lie in Master Chief when it comes to xbox characters. Hed be really unique, even against other fps characters. Regenerating shields and 2 weapon system could be some mechanics to transfer over into smash.
Representing the two weapon system in Master Chief's move set seems to be the way to go, but at the same time I feel like it would leave a lot of holes. Things like the gravity hammer, energy sword, and rocket launcher are just begging to be used even if only for certain moves like smash attacks.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Does anybody think there is more undertale stuff coming, my idea is that sans mii costume is just to test if the community would respond well to it, eventually adding frisk as a character and more mii costumes, papyrus, flowey, idk some others characters that would work as miis. This is just my crazy conspiracy theory/prediction.
The thing is the Megalovania remix was put in the "Other" category for music. So they would have to remove it from those stages and put it into its own category.

Similar to Monster Hunter basically.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As much as I'd love more Undertale stuff, if that were the case they'd have likely held off on releasing Megalovania so it wouldn't have to play on the miscellaneous stages.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd like to bring up a new topic: what are some characters you personally consider iconic, and would love to see in Smash, but haven't played their games?
Reviving this question:

One of the big reasons I want a MOBA character (I know, really unlikely unless the situation changes, rolling with it) is because they could easily bring new mechanics / gimmicks into Smash. There's a wealth of spells to choose from for that. But we're going with a game I've never played: League of Legends. Out of that game's characters I'm mostly interested in two of their icons*: Ryze and Ahri. Both of them would be a little wonky to translate into Smash, true. But:

*(Of course the caveat applies - while League has had incredible staying power worldwide, its popularity naturally varies by country. It would be a massive fan pick in South Korea, for example, but very much niche in Japan)

Two of Ryze's spells are buffed if the third spell hits first: for example, a movespeed slow turning into a root (aka. bury, but the target can still attack). I don't think there's a character in Smash yet who has "X hit first, therefore what Y does changes". His passive would be really wonky: "Ryze's Spells deal extra damage based on his Bonus Mana" with the max mana increasing by each 100 he gains. That'd need a rework for Smash: something like "Ryze's spells deals damage based on how much mana he has left".

Ahri could be built as a Rosalina / Palutena combo. Instead of Luma Ahri has an orb which - if it hits 9 times - causing her next orb attack to restore some health for herself. Also Ahri has a Charm spell: functions like Snooze but instead the target walks towards her. Of course that has to be modified, especially if Smash keeps her passive: 2 spell hits against an opponent = more movespeed. My solution for that would be to let the target still dodge (rolls / airdodges). Her two other spells involve Auto Aim-esque projectiles, but they'd need to be changed too I think.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, Sakurai never had to test the waters for anything else and Undertale is not only still being talked about to this day on a regular basis but also had enough fan demand to get brought to Japan

cothero

Smash Lord
Oh yes! Scorpion and Sub-Zero could have the same normal moves but different special moves. Kinda like how they were like in the original Mortal Kombat game.
The way that Sakurai described the next DLC wave made it seem like they wanna add more third-party characters to the game, "more worlds colliding". The poster boys from Netheralm Studios may have a chance!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I wonder how long will it take until there will be another leak for the final character of the fighters pass?
Considering this one didn't leak until a week before it was announced, and even then, Nintendo was the one that did it...I'm guessing not for awhile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom