• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmm... for some reason that got me thinking about the alternate timeline where this Pass does skew younger than FP1:

FP6: Urshifu
FP7: Fall Guy
FP8: Kenau Reeves (Cyberpunk 2077)
FP9: FF XVI's main character
FP10: Everwild's main character
FP11: Pragmata's main character

Hoo boy that'd be a wild Pass. Includes a Capcom, S-E and Rare character too.

(Yes I'm using a lot of Sony / Microsoft stuff because Nintendo certainly won't show off their 2021 / 22 releases now.)

Not big on Steve but I'll stick to this timeline, thanks.

Also I meant younger people not younger games lol.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I already made my predictions but I will repeat what I said earlier.
I don't normally make predictions but based on the evidence I've seen, I think the remaining four DLC fighters are:
Ryu Hayabusa
Ray Man
Rex & Pyra
Arle Nadja

As much as I want Doomguy, I don't think we would get three Western characters in the second Fighters's Pass.
Plus Hayabusa fills in the spot for a M-rated character.

Shroob

Sup?
So I'll pin some dates for when I think the next 4 characters will come.

If there's no delay, and everything has to be done by December 2021, that means roughly a 3 month gap between each reveal/release.

Jan/Feb for CP8

And then.... April for CP9... I'm kinda hesitant here, but I don't think they'll wait until E3 for CP9

Then a show of CP10 at E3, release in July/August

And then.... November/December CP11.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
So what's everyone's current predictions?

Mine are

78: Ryu Hayabusa
79: Cinderace
80: Master Chief
81: Rex
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Tracer
80. BOTW2 character(probably Zelda)
81. Sora

I think Crash is more likely, but I can't shake the feeling Geno will be the next char, in which case I don't think Sora will get in. And since Steve's inclusion makes Master Chief less likely, I don't know who else would be worthy of ending the pass. Yeah I know people like to point to Byleth to say that a big fighter doesn't need to end the fighter pass, but I'm pretty confident Byleth wouldn't have been fighter 5 if there wasn't going to be a fighter pass 2.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Tracer
80. BOTW2 character(probably Zelda)
81. Sora

I think Crash is more likely, but I can't shake the feeling Geno will be the next char, in which case I don't think Sora will get in. And since Steve's inclusion makes Master Chief less likely, I don't know who else would be worthy of ending the pass. Yeah I know people like to point to Byleth to say that a big fighter doesn't need to end the fighter pass, but I'm pretty confident Byleth wouldn't have been fighter 5 if there wasn't going to be a fighter pass 2.
Sheesh, both Crash and Tracer? I hope Activision asked Nintendo and not the other way around. XD

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Mine are

78: Geno
79: Bandana Waddle Dee
80: Ryu Hayabusa
81: Character from 2021 release (most likely a Nintendo character, but I could also see Monster Hunter fitting here with Nintendo's interest in Rise)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I'll pin some dates for when I think the next 4 characters will come.

If there's no delay, and everything has to be done by December 2021, that means roughly a 3 month gap between each reveal/release.

Jan/Feb for CP8

And then.... April for CP9... I'm kinda hesitant here, but I don't think they'll wait until E3 for CP9

Then a show of CP10 at E3, release in July/August

And then.... November/December CP11.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't there always been double reveals during E3? I wasn't around at the time of Sm4sh.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if the new Valve who actually put out games every now and then would consider giving the Switch a shot. They did licence out Portal Bridge Builder so that's a start.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Mine are

My last prediction was very scatterbrained here is a more concise one
CP8- Kiryu/Sakura/Gordon Freeman (I am indecisive)
CP9- Rob Lucci Crash Bandicoot
CP10- Phoenix Wright/Dante/Hayabusa
CP11- Estelle/Euden

(My ideal Fighter pass is the first 4 in my signature)

Last edited:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Sheesh, both Crash and Tracer? I hope Activision asked Nintendo and not the other way around. XD
You gave me a scare there. In case you are unware Overwatch is owned by Blizzard and not Activision, I had to double check to see if I was missing something. After giving it some thought though I realize I'm not following my own thought process about the current pass with my list so I've revised it a bit.

78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Tracer
80. Rillaboom
81. Sora

I feel more confident in this list but the Geno/Sora dynamic still throws me off a bit.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
You gave me a scare there. In case you are unware Overwatch is owned by Blizzard and not Activision, I had to double check to see if I was missing something. After giving it some thought though I realize I'm not following my own thought process about the current pass with my list so I've revised it a bit.

78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Tracer
80. Rillaboom
81. Sora

I feel more confident in this list but the Geno/Sora dynamic still throws me off a bit.
But I thought...
Activision-Blizzard.jpg

SKX31

Smash Master

Not big on Steve but I'll stick to this timeline, thanks.

Also I meant younger people not younger games lol.
Yeah, I had a feeling that timeline was not going to be a popular one.

Aaand now I feel kind of silly because I didn't realize you meant younger people. ^^ '

I wonder if the new Valve who actually put out games every now and then would consider giving the Switch a shot. They did licence out Portal Bridge Builder so that's a start.
Maybe? It wouldn't be difficult to port most of their existing games onto the Switch (there was a rumor that Dota Underlords was going to be ported to the Switch because people thought that Underlords' beta website seemingly referred to such a port, but that never panned out and it turned out to refer to Underlords' unique take on cross-play instead where one can switch between the computer and mobile versions of the game mid-match). That said, Valve's been often rather content with focusing on Steam (even pre-CSGO / Dota 2), so it'd be something of a sea change for them to go to consoles. At least any further than Bridge Constructor.

While it's a start, I do feel that Valve would need another reason to take that next step into the console side of things. And I'm not entirely sure they'd follow Microsoft's footsteps re: "cross-platform play regardless of device" here, although it's possible.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Its going to be curious to see if Sega or Square effectively triple dip (base game, fighter's pass 1, fighter's pass 2) as far as characters. I suppose Microsoft could as well in terms of numbers via Master Chief but I've got my doubts.
It would be funny if Microsoft went from one to three before most third-parties even increased their count by one.

Aaand now I feel kind of silly because I didn't realize you meant younger people. ^^ '
Give those characters some time to cool, and we'll check on them later. Most aren't even out of the oven yet.

D

Deleted member

How can anyone make a prediction? Min-Min was from a series that everyone wondered why it wasn't in the base roster and the next was from an iconic PC game. There's no pattern; no real way to base any kind of prediction on, really. Even the first pass was all over the place when you think about it:
Joker- Awesome, but seemed out of left field (series is well regarded in Japan and Sakurai loved Persona 5 itself)
Hero- Iconic RPG series (near Legendary status in Japan)
Banjo- Heavy Fan Request (honestly felt like a Megaman & Castlevania addition; their best, and only in Banjo's case, games were on Nintendo)
Terry- Another completely out of left field choice; well known in Fighting community, but certainly not the most iconic series when one thinks 'Fighting Game'
Byleth- 1st Party addition from out of NOWHERE; the only thing one could say it was a shill pick for was because of the 'Ashen Wolves' DLC

Honestly, the only 'icon' pick in that first set was Hero, but mostly to Japan since its series is received only so-so in the West. The rest really had no pattern whatsoever.

So again, I ask, how can you really 'predict'? What separates you guys' lists from a 'Wishlist'? A prediction is made based on some sort of evidence or pattern and so far, as pointed out, there's been none outside of the game's normal parameters (Game Characters Only; New Franchises Only with exception to Byleth).

If you guys are predicting, just to keep discussion interesting, don't just post a list and leave it at that. State why you think said characters are making it in. What leads you to believe your prediction to be accurate? if you can't find any evidence past 'game series not represented yet by Fighter, Spirit, or Trophy' then that's not really evidence; that's where EVERY game originated character is at right now. You can get this guy in on that flimsy of evidence:
1601773095415.png

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Maybe? It wouldn't be difficult to port most of their existing games onto the Switch (there was a rumor that Dota Underlords was going to be ported to the Switch because people thought that Underlords' beta website seemingly referred to such a port, but that never panned out and it turned out to refer to Underlords' unique take on cross-play instead where one can switch between the computer and mobile versions of the game mid-match). That said, Valve's been often rather content with focusing on Steam (even pre-CSGO / Dota 2), so it'd be something of a sea change for them to go to consoles. At least any further than Bridge Constructor.

While it's a start, I do feel that Valve would need another reason to take that next step into the console side of things. And I'm not entirely sure they'd follow Microsoft's footsteps re: "cross-platform play regardless of device" here, although it's possible.
I'm sure Valve, after Steam Boxes didn't go too far, would wish to leave computing hardware to everyone else. They're currently focused on VR but I have a feeling they'll want to branch out into portable gaming now that we can run shooter games on devices you don't need plugged in all the time.

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah, I'm gonna buck the trend and say that this coming June, if there is an E3, there's only going to be 1 reveal.

If we don't, then that kinda means we either:

A) Get CP8 in January and then wait until bloody June for CP9/10 news

or

B) CP8 in Jan-Feb, CP9 in Aprilish, and then CP10 +11 news at E3....and CP11 is much later... which is another bloody 5-6 months out

1 E3 this coming year, calling it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I love Lara Croft but if Kat got in against all odds, I'd cry probably. Master Cheif, Kratos, Goku, Kiki the Witch and Bob the Builder are getting in before Kat ever does.
View attachment 288260
Darn it Sony, play nice with the other companies. I actually wouldn't mind Kiki the Witch (I love that movie Ghibli for the win), if she came from a video game first, all I'm saying she had better come with her theme song
I feel like it's a guarantee Capcom will get another pick given their positive relationship with Nintendo. Personally I want Dante more but a character from Monster Hunter screams being more likely to me given all the releases its getting on the switch + it's already received plenty of content from nintendo via crossovers in the MH games and on Dragalia Lost.

Like as much as a lot of us want Dante all he really has going is Bayonetta already being featured in Smash, so they could most definitely limit the maturity. I can't really imagine us getting two capcom reps in this final 4 so the scale to me is leaning on a Monster Hunter being added to fight the Rathalos we already have in the game
Just remember Rathalos has just much of a chance of working against Monster Hunter's inclusion, as it does for it.
78: Ahri
79: Elma
80: Octoling
81: Neku

yeah. taking a big ass gamble here lmao
Go for it

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
also i just realized

with my predictions pass 2 would be mostly female, including avatars (Steve's Alex alt and Octoling Girl) and would only have one standalone male (Neku)

kinda interesting reversal of the first pass

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know people **** on Sony for being seemingly the only company unwilling to cooperate and get their characters into Smash (well, other than Disney I guess), but I really can't blame them. They're just doing what competitors in any field of business do, and choosing not to aid their rivals.

Like I said, Microsoft is the odd one out, not Sony. And even then, that's a relatively recent development. Until the age of Phil Spencer, there's no way Microsoft would've shared their IP with Nintendo (past the uncontested handheld space). We're very fortunate they do now, but frankly, that's a huge aberration and a minor miracle.

And let's not overlook that there's no way Nintendo would lend their characters to a crossover of Microsoft's, or Sony's. They keep their IP in a vice-grip, and are among the most stingy of all the companies out there, gaming or not. It just doesn't appear that way here because they're hosting the party.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
also i just realized

with my predictions pass 2 would be mostly female, including avatars (Steve's Alex alt and Octoling Girl) and would only have one standalone male (Neku)

kinda interesting reversal of the first pass
Pretty much all the fighters for this pass so far are female, with the exception of Steve of course. I wonder if we're getting another female fighter for #8. If we do we'll have to create the Female Theory next.

O_o

No wait everyone! I'm sorry I didn't mean to create another theo- too late.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The DLC is so unpredictable that I'm just gonna stick to vague archetypes rather than actual characters. Won't bother with ordering them, either.
  • A popular and well-known third party who is also rather niche in some way (Reimu, Sakura, Adol, etc.)
  • A first party character (Rex, Isaac, Bandana Dee, etc.)
  • Another first party (See above)
  • A 100% iconic third party (LoL, Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, etc.)
As a wild card, replace/combine any of these with a fan favorite character. Since we seem to think differently than Nintendo and end up being either completely incorrect or only partially correct, we probably won't see too many hot topic characters. If we do, they'll probably have something holding them back (Too sexy, no Nintendo connections, overlooked in favor of someone else, etc.)

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
My final four is
1. Hayabusa, but only if they tiptoe around the M-rating some how.
2. Toxtricity
3. Geno
4. Crash, but only if Sakurai can tiptoe around Crash’s origin story. He’s kind of a legacy character, and I don’t know how I, nor how Nintendo feels about Sony being brought up in Crash’s presentation.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
this is my predictions/whislist (no specific order)

• Ryu Hayabusa, mii costumes: Kasumi (DoA6 outfit), Arle Nadje (Puyo Puyo), Samurai Goroh (F-Zero), Lloyd (Tales Of)
  • Capcom Rep: this can be 3 posibilites:
1) Dante, mii costumes: Vergil (DMC), Hunter Armor (MH), Rathalos Armor (MH), Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), Guile (Street Fighter), Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
2) Hunter, mii costumes: Dante (DMC), Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), Guile (Street Fighter), Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
3) Phoenix Wright, mii costumes: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney), Hunter Armor (MH), Rathalos Armor (MH), Dante (DMC), Guile (Street Fighter), Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
  • Crash Bandicoot (with Coco as an alt), mii costumes : Dr Neo Cortex (Crash), Spyro (hat, Spyro the Dragon), Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight), Quote (Cave Story), Klonoa (Klonoa)
  • Chorus Kids, mii costumes: 2 2020 Nintendo games, Prince Sable (Kaeru no Tame), Knight (Hollow Knight), Solaire (Dark Souls)

Bonus: Geno, mii costumes: Mallow (hat, SMRPG), Chocobo (hat, Final Fantasy), Waluigi (Mario)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My final four is
1. Hayabusa, but only if they tiptoe around the M-rating some how.
2. Toxtricity
3. Geno
4. Crash, but only if Sakurai can tiptoe around Crash’s origin story. He’s kind of a legacy character, and I don’t know how I, nor how Nintendo feels about Sony being brought up in Crash’s presentation.
I mean, Sony never really owned Crash, Naughty Dog did afaik. Was he Sony's answer to Mario? Kiiiiiinda, but Sony didn't like, own him like Microsoft owns Banjo.

Besides, not like Smash has never referenced Sony before, look at the Brawl MGS trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom