• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't have a beef with Elma. Just her echo chamber thinking Rex ABSOLUTELY cannot get in and she is ABSOLUTELY a lock because of that Mii costume.
I do not think Elma’s a lock. I don’t think ANYBODY is a lock unless they’re straight up leaked actually. I just think her chances may be better than Rex’s, that’s all. I don’t think Rex has a zero chance either - more like 25% if you ask me

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I do not think Elma’s a lock. I don’t think ANYBODY is a lock unless they’re straight up leaked actually. I just think her chances may be better than Rex’s, that’s all. I don’t think Rex has a zero chance either - more like 25% if you ask me
Alright, that's fine.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even beyond the fact its been two months since Min-Min was revealed (and five since the franchise reveal of Fighter 6), every General Direct and Direct Mini (specialty silliness like the Partner Showcase aside) since March 2018 has had Smash news in it. Even with how nuts this year has been, it would be quite a surprise for that to change now.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Speaking of Project X Zone

how would y’all react if we got Project X Zone 3 for Switch, with a few more guest Nintendo characters like Corrin, Byleth, Min Min, Shulk, Pit, Palutena, Captain Falcon and Off The Hook and some Sega/Capcom characters that make it into Smash in any form, like Bayonetta, Joker, even bosses like Rathalos?
Honestly, would be for it. While I'm not sure that those involved would go for those characters (One could go Spring Man / Ribbon Girl as a pair unit for example) those characters / franchises could still bring some new stuff into the PXZ series.

Alternatively, bring non-humans back so Klonoa can return and Sonic / Pac Man / Amaterasu can join the dimension hopping fest.

Nintendo's twitter interns' obsession with Xenoblade keeps becoming increasingly bizarre

Clearly this is a sign that Nintendo wants to establish a Pro Xenoblade League.

With the casters pronouncing Xenoblade right every time. :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think that if Nintendo wants Xenoblade Chronicles to do better, than a Xenoblade Chronicles anything is highly likely. As far as individual characters go my thinking on likelihood is like this:
  1. Seven-She's one of the most popular of the Xenoblade Chronicles cast, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is the easiest thing to point to for marketing right now.
  2. Rex & Pyra/Mythra-This would be the pick if they wanted to bring back the main two games that couldn't be added in the base game, and/or if they wanted to represent more of the Xenoblade Chronicles series, not just the first game.
  3. Elma-I personally think her only shot is a Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster, but I think that if this were to happen, it'd happen much later which would meant that Elma would miss her chance.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is probably a controversial opinion, but I feel like no Xenoblade character getting in this pass is more likely than Elma getting in over Rex.

Maybe if her game was more popular in Japan I'd give Elma more credit than I currently am, but I can't think of any reason outside moveset potential for why they'd skip XC2 and go back to XCX (and even then, how likely is it for Nintendo to care about movesets more than promotion or relevancy?). Even with the music, Spirits, and Mii costume, it feels like Rex is the one they'd benefit the most from.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, would be for it. While I'm not sure that those involved would go for those characters (One could go Spring Man / Ribbon Girl as a pair unit for example) those characters / franchises could still bring some new stuff into the PXZ series.

Alternatively, bring non-humans back so Klonoa can return and Sonic / Pac Man / Amaterasu can join the dimension hopping fest.
Even if the characters in question have to speak with full voice acting, you could still have several series to fit that besides just FE and Xenoblade.

To name a few: Metroid, Star Fox, Pokémon (the trainers, specifically), F-Zero and Kid Icarus. Plus characters that don't normally speak much, but come from games with voice acting (like Little Mac) and characters that talk in gibberish (like the Pikmin or Animal Crossing people).

But yeah, I remember scratching my head a bit at a the fact that Sega didn't take Sonic to a crossover like PXZ.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even if the characters in question have to speak with full voice acting, you could still have several series to fit that besides just FE and Xenoblade.

To name a few: Metroid, Star Fox, Pokémon (the trainers, specifically), F-Zero and Kid Icarus. Plus characters that don't normally speak much, but come from games with voice acting (like Little Mac) and characters that talk in gibberish (like the Pikmin or Animal Crossing people).

But yeah, I remember scratching my head a bit at a the fact that Sega didn't take Sonic to a crossover like PXZ.
I know they said no furries in PXZ, but would Splatoon characters be fine? Even though they speak gibberish?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I think we have no right to talk about relevancy when ARMS is older than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 lmao
If they choose him they choose him, end of story.
They can still promote XC2 right after they announce him just like they promoted the s*** out of ARMS after the reveal in March...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think we have no right to talk about relevancy when ARMS is older than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 lmao
If they choose him they choose him, end of story.
They can still promote XC2 right after they announce him just like they promoted the s*** out of ARMS after the reveal in March...
The difference is that ARMS will more than likely be supported from Nintendo here on and Min Min will be a reoccuring face going forward. Xenoblade will also keep being supported by Nintendo...but Rex will most likely just remain to XB2. That's the distinction.

Ultimately, I think there's kind of a difference between series with reoccuring characters like Mario, DK, Zelda, etc and series with rotational casts like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Timing is far more important for the latter characters.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The difference is that ARMS will more than likely be supported from Nintendo here on and Min Min will be a reoccuring face going forward. Xenoblade will also keep being supported by Nintendo...but Rex will most likely just remain to XB2. That's the distinction.

Ultimately, I think there's kind of a difference between series with reoccuring characters like Mario, DK, Zelda, etc and series with rotational casts like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Timing is far more important for the latter characters.
That's not entirely true considering Shulk, Fiora, and Elma are all in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It could very well be that the major protagonists will at least be making cameo appearances on the regular in future titles.

EDIT: Besides, a truly new Xenoblade Chronicles title is way far off. There is no Xenoblade Chronicles 3 that will make Rex and the gang irrelevant.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
...Is there? Both groups you posted have clear winners (Mario, FE) and losers (Zelda, Xenoblade).
This is why I consider the rotating cast argument sort of a meme, I've seen people use it to argue both for and against including both more and less characters for a series based on both having a rotating cast and not having a rotating cast.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Insiders said the Partner Showcase was gonna be a General too, so I'm gonna be wary with this one. I trust that these people hear dates, but I doubt their claims on specifics.
Okay then. Who specifically said that? Because I don't remember any insider actually claiming that. What I do remember is some saying that we should keep our expectations in check.

This is probably a controversial opinion, but I feel like no Xenoblade character getting in this pass is more likely than Elma getting in over Rex.

Maybe if her game was more popular in Japan I'd give Elma more credit than I currently am, but I can't think of any reason outside moveset potential for why they'd skip XC2 and go back to XCX (and even then, how likely is it for Nintendo to care about movesets more than promotion or relevancy?). Even with the music, Spirits, and Mii costume, it feels like Rex is the one they'd benefit the most from.
Future-proofing. With how X played out, it's likely to receive a direct sequel at some point in the future, and her appearance there is pretty much guaranteed.
What could also help is that Monolith Soft wants to build up the Xenoblade brand more, and that I'd say is better done by showing how different Xenoblade games can be from one another, and not by having two generally rather similar characters.

I don't have a beef with Elma. Just her echo chamber thinking Rex ABSOLUTELY cannot get in and she is ABSOLUTELY a lock because of that Mii costume.
Dude, not even I think that Elma is a lock, and I'm probably the person on here who dislikes 2 the most (along with cutiegwen). Since her day's coming up over in the RTC thread, I can already say that I'll give her a 35% chance there, and even that I'd say is somewhat generous.

That's not entirely true considering Shulk, Fiora, and Elma are all in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It could very well be that the major protagonists will at least be making cameo appearances on the regular in future titles.

EDIT: Besides, a truly new Xenoblade Chronicles title is way far off. There is no Xenoblade Chronicles 3 that will make Rex and the gang irrelevant.
I wouldn't count on them making regular reappearances, though. If they were intend on doing that then DE's new time attack would be the perfect opportunity for that, and so far, it's looking rather unlikely that that game will receive any major new content in updates.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Okay then. Who specifically said that? Because I don't remember any insider actually claiming that. What I do remember is some saying that we should keep our expectations in check.
Kelios was adamant about it being a General, and while NateDrake did tell people to keep expectations in check, he chimed in it would be a General as well, just a low-key one. He was just as surprised and upset as Kelios was when the news went out about the Partner Showcase.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Is there? Both groups you posted have clear winners (Mario, FE) and losers (Zelda, Xenoblade).
This is why I consider the rotating cast argument sort of a meme, I've seen people use it to argue both for and against including both more or less characters for a series based on both whether they have a rotating cast or not have a rotating cast.
To be fair, the main four in the Super Mario series are pretty much guaranteed to be in every game, and aside from Dr. Mario, all of the characters we've gotten beyond them are ones that stuck, even if they do get relegated to spin-off purgatory (but even then it's not like the spin-offs aren't just as popular).

For Fire Emblem it's rare for characters to have more than one game in the series, and with their current choices, it seems that, aside from Chrom, the only eligible picks are the ones that are in your face right now. This can also be seen with Pokémon since while they didn't have a rotating cast until now, each new game brings a butt ton of characters with it, which seems to cause the same effect since Super Smash Bros. Brawl since the series now has its most important characters. The Legend of Zelda series gets the worst of this, as instead of getting new characters, they just get new versions of Link, and only sometimes is it an actually different character.

EDIT: To be honest, the Super Mario series is the only series with a ton of one-off characters that doesn't have major representational issues, and I'm not just talking about quantity here.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know about you guys but I think insiders personally owe us an objectively good direct so if the next one doesn't have Mario Anniversary Collection, Pikmin 4, Bayonetta 3, Breath of the Wild 2, Diamond and Pearl remakes, Metroid Prime 4, revivals for Golden Sun, Wario Land and Chibi-Robo along with a Smash reveal, I'd say prepare the pitchforks.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Kelios was adamant about it being a General, and while NateDrake did tell people to keep expectations in check, he chimed in it would be a General as well, just a low-key one. He was just as surprised and upset as Kelios was when the news went out about the Partner Showcase.
I thought the biggest surprise for Kelios was that there were some games that were apparently missing from that Direct, like Bravely Default 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
idk about that one chief.png

thoughts on this? I call BS on the "angry over Cloud being base" thing, and the FF lore thing (HOW would Smash conflict with FF lore when KH is a thing??)

i just hope this guy's false... I need my Neku

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 283128
thoughts on this? I call BS on the "angry over Cloud being base" thing, and the FF lore thing (HOW would Smash conflict with FF lore when KH is a thing??)

Aside from what you pointed out, I find it hard to trust someone who can't even spell "Super" right. In the bin it goes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 283128

I'm sure it's legit on the account of being posted on an online message board.

Do you think anyone would go to internet just to tell lies?

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't get another SQEX character, but yeah, not buying the reason being because of resentment or anything like that. It would imply they don't care about Mana and Octopath too much if they were so quick to lend the rights out for spirits, unless of course I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how the spirit event deals work.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
View attachment 283128

Yes, I totally believe Mr. Anonymous Pepe frog guy who can't even spell check. He's never steered me wrong.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not saying it's weird for Kiryu and Majima to hang around with Nintendo characters, that's not the problem, I'm just saying the Yakuza theming of the series could cause some issues with age rating boards.
It's the literal opposite of Joker's gun, the other characters being yakuza would never be referenced in the context of Smash as Smash doesn't even bother telling us stuff like Shulk, a very basic protagonist, being a man of science who spends almost all day in his lab prior to the events of the game. They'd just show a jpg or some stage cameos and show their names and nothing else. Not to mention Smash has characters who have so much worse **** in their backstories and stuff with no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom