• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't know... as far as I know, every single direct leak that even mentions Mario remasters have been proven false.
The original leaks earlier in the year never said they would be announced via Directs. To the contrary, they said Nintendo had no E3 replacement planned for the entirety of Summer, and to expect more Twitter update shadow drops.

Most of this comes from VentureBeat, who I believe were some of the original sources for things like the Mario Remasters, Pikmin 3, and Mario 3D World. They also corroborated rumors of a new Paper Mario before OK's reveal.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't trust leaked nintendo direct dates to be worth it. going off the "recent" ones...

January 11th, 2018
March 26th, 2020
July 20th, 2020

every direct that has leaked has been either a mini or a Partner Showcase. It's never been a big one.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Regardless, Mario Remasters are a safe guess atm. Those and the 3D World port are the only parts of the leaks back in March that haven't come true yet...
Weren't there also some people talking about a new 2D Metroid who also brought up Paper Mario?

MooMew64

Weren't there also some people talking about a new 2D Metroid who also brought up Paper Mario?
That's was floating around a lot earlier this year, yeah. Hard to say where it's at credibility wise, though: It kind of disappeared in discussion amidst the Mario Remasters hype. Given how often it was paired with Paper Mario, I'd say odds are it's probably coming.

Mercury Steam definitely wants to make another, as we saw at the end of Samus Returns. Gotta wait and see on this one, honestly. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'm not going to argue the likelihood of whether or not a Direct is still possible if the 3D Mario Collection actually does end up getting shadow dropped soon, but I will say that I think some people are treating the collection as a bigger deal than it actually is, at least if it's still supposed to be just three remasters. Now, if they end up being full-blown remakes I could get it, but just three Mario remasters in one isn't a big deal, and would probably be the most irrelevant thing Nintendo would release this year. Honestly, seems like the only reason they've gained as much attention as they have is just because Nintendo's been ridiculously silent this year.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know... as far as I know, every single direct leak that even mentions Mario remasters have been proven false.
Presumably, most/all of those people are piggy-backing on the Mario remasters to make their fake leak seem more legitimate. It's like during Smash 4 speculation, where people included details in their fake leaks that Vergeben had mentioned, like Simon Belmont being in the game.

I don't know if there's any definitive proof that the Mario remasters are real or fake aside from hearsay and insider talk, but it being included in a fake leak doesn't make the remasters fake - I'm sure plenty of fake Direct leaks are going to mention a No More Heroes 1 remaster, or a release date for Doom Eternal or Rivals of Aether on the Switch.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't trust leaked nintendo direct dates to be worth it. going off the "recent" ones...

January 11th, 2018
March 26th, 2020
July 20th, 2020

every direct that has leaked has been either a mini or a Partner Showcase. It's never been a big one.
I mean, those were still Directs. It's not like insiders or whoever were wrong. Not all of them, at least. Not really fair, btw, to put the Partner Showcase there. It basically was a completely new thing for Nintendo Directs.

Everyone would agree with me if I say knowing the full fighter pass 2 is very, very unlikely, right? Similar case with the directs. Insiders/leakers/whatever people wants to call them doesn't really know everything. Usually they know about certain games, maybe 1 week prior of the reveal or maybe 1 year prior to the announcement.

I don't know, I feel people usually blames the wrong insiders. If anything they should be mad at the "insiders", those who are seeking attention or those who are just trolling us. Examples? That Setanta guy on Twitter or the infamous HotGirl69, to name 2 recent examples. When the Partner Showcase happened, did they received any backlash? Of course not, because people stupidly decided to go against the one who was right (which almost no one believed at the beginning), for some reason I'll never comprehend.
It's NOT really that hard to differentiate the "good insiders" and the "bad insiders". That doesn't mean the first ones can't be wrong sometimes, I mean, leakbait or wrong sources exist, but denying that people such as Zell/Tsubasa, Nate or Jeff Grubb are folks with reliable info is just nonsense.

Seriously, sometimes I think it's some kind of phenomenon impossible to explain, how people are attracted by fake leakers and random 4chan rumours that are obviously false but then they decide to start being super analytic and cautious with the insiders we know are trustworthy. lmao

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Presumably, most/all of those people are piggy-backing on the Mario remasters to make their fake leak seem more legitimate. It's like during Smash 4 speculation, where people included details in their fake leaks that Vergeben had mentioned, like Simon Belmont being in the game.

I don't know if there's any definitive proof that the Mario remasters are real or fake aside from hearsay and insider talk, but it being included in a fake leak doesn't make the remasters fake - I'm sure plenty of fake Direct leaks are going to mention a No More Heroes 1 remaster, or a release date for Doom Eternal or Rivals of Aether on the Switch.
You mean Base Ultimate? Simon wasn’t in 4 lmao

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Mercury Steam definitely wants to make another, as we saw at the end of Samus Returns. Gotta wait and see on this one, honestly. :drshrug:
Still makes you wonder. If Mercury Steam really are behind that hypothetical new 2D Metroid, are they gonna follow up on the Fusion teaser with another remake, or the Renegade Chozo Faction(?) with Metroid Dread/5?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean, those were still Directs. It's not like insiders or whoever were wrong. Not all of them, at least. Not really fair, btw, to put the Partner Showcase there. It basically was a completely new thing for Nintendo Directs.

Everyone would agree with me if I say knowing the full fighter pass 2 is very, very unlikely, right? Similar case with the directs. Insiders/leakers/whatever people wants to call them doesn't really know everything. Usually they know about certain games, maybe 1 week prior of the reveal or maybe 1 year prior to the announcement.

I don't know, I feel people usually blames the wrong insiders. If anything they should be mad at the "insiders", those who are seeking attention or those who are just trolling us. Examples? That Setanta guy on Twitter or the infamous HotGirl69, to name 2 recent examples. When the Partner Showcase happened, did they received any backlash? Of course not, because people stupidly decided to go against the one who was right (which almost no one believed at the beginning), for some reason I'll never comprehend.
It's NOT really that hard to differentiate the "good insiders" and the "bad insiders". That doesn't mean the first ones can't be wrong sometimes, I mean, leakbait or wrong sources exist, but denying that people such as Zell/Tsubasa, Nate or Jeff Grubb are folks with reliable info is just nonsense.

Seriously, sometimes I think it's some kind of phenomenon impossible to explain, how people are attracted by fake leakers and random 4chan rumours that are obviously false but then they decide to start being super analytic and cautious with the insiders we know are trustworthy. lmao
I never said i don't believe the leakers and the days they give, I just said that I don't trust those dates to bring relevant news. All the big directs have never had a date leak (I think)

MooMew64

Still makes you wonder. If Mercury Steam really are behind that hypothetical new 2D Metroid, are they gonna follow up on the Fusion teaser with another remake, or the Renegade Chozo Faction(?) with Metroid Dread/5?
It's hard to say. Metroid Dread is more of a "What could have been" at this point, so a remake of a more popular Metroid could be the safer course of action to really test the waters for a brand new 2D Metroid later down the line.

I sincerely hope it's Metroid Dread, though. I wanna see what those evil Chozos are up to, and weather or not it would fit into Prime lore 👀.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the evil chozo are a perfect way to set up the next Metroid game after Fusion without it becoming Ace Attorney: Samus's court martial edition, as rad as that would be.

It's an old bit of writing advice, if your story gets stuck introduce a new danger to get your character out of their current situation then work things out from there.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's hard to say. Metroid Dread is more of a "What could have been" at this point, so a remake of a more popular Metroid could be the safer course of action to really test the waters for a brand new 2D Metroid later down the line.

I sincerely hope it's Metroid Dread, though. I wanna see what those evil Chozos are up to, and weather or not it would fit into Prime lore 👀.
How many remakes do you think they'll "test the waters" with?

Samus Returns was already a toe dip into the pond. Despite sales not being outstanding the game had its acclaim with both Nintendo and Sakimoto being pleased with MS's efforts with the game.

I don't think another remake is out of the question but at this point a new game is well overdue.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Samus Returns was already a toe dip into the pond. Despite sales not being outstanding the game had its acclaim with both Nintendo and Sakimoto being pleased with MS's efforts with the game.

I don't think another remake is out of the question but at this point a new game is well overdue.
I could see Nintendo being really hesitant simply because they've never been too eager to do much with 2D Metroid. Remakes of popular games are near guaranteed sales and remakes and remasters are doing well right now; a new game always has more risks than a remake. That said, yes, it is about time for a brand new title, but I'm just saying I could see Nintendo doing yet another remake.

Back on to the topic of Smash, really starting to feel that September release for #7 is looking likely. Lines up nicely with amiibo releases too, so it seems like the odds are good. If it's late into next month, though, then we're definitely not seeing #8 come out this year IMO. Maaaaaybe if #8 was worked on a bunch already we could see a December launch, but I honestly don't know if I see it with the pandemic still in play potentially slowing some things down.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yet another confirmation of news coming potentially soon. Also some ppl on Era are theorizing that the 17th will be an announcement of an announcement for the Indie World. Ergo, announced that day, but the actual indie world airs anywhere from Tuesday to Thursday
It can't possibly come "sooner than I think" because I "thought" it would be out by now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Look out dudes, leaker here!

There will be video games at some point in the future...some people will like them, some will not. There will be cool stuff, there will be filler.

Like I said...there will be video games.
hello there, leaker of the week! I shall now trust your every word despite your complete lack of a resume while at the same time ignoring established leakers who have built up a good reputation! Sound logic I have, do I not?

MooMew64

Look out dudes, leaker here!

There will be video games at some point in the future...some people will like them, some will not. There will be cool stuff, there will be filler.

Like I said...there will be video games.
Impossible. Improbable. Inconceivable! Not scientifically possible! There will never be video games, video games are a myth. Nintendo is a lie. Sakurai is a hologram! We've all been played for fools: Fools, I tell you! They played us like a dang fiddle! :drflip:

Nah real talk news comes when it comes. Besides, people only usually care about like, one or two things from a Direct and consider the rest filler anyways.:drshrug:

A lot of people who are taken as leakers are probably just speculating like the rest of us. I used to follow Spawnwave. I don't know if anything changed, but he was primarily a videogame news channel, similar to Gamexplain, but with more of a focus on the hardware/development side of things. I know he's close to some industry insiders, but unless something's changed, he doesn't have that info himself. So I'm guessing that some of what he's said has been taken as leaks when he's probably saying what he thinks should happen based on what others have said and having a rough idea of how the industry works. That is, assuming things haven't changed in the past year and a half when I stopped trying so hard to keep up with videogame news.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.
Unorthodox picks huh? I’m not sure if he counts.

My first choice would be V from DMCV. He literally cannot attack on his own, he has 3 summons to do the damage, but they can’t kill so V has to finish the opponents. He’d be an evolution to Rosalina and luma, a true puppet character and that’s unique for smash.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They’ve probably been developing their next 2D Metroid ever since the release of Samus Returns. Meaning the Rogue Chozo Faction would almost certainly be a tease for what their new game is about.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You’re not a Smash fan until you look up from your phone or computer and feel the existential dread from the realization that we’ve gotten one character from Volume 2 since the announcement of Volume 2 in September of 2019.

I regret nothing.
How can 2020 feel like it's been going on for so long yet still feel like it's only just started at the same time?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if Small Battlefield was meant to come with a character and their stage but was given it's own update as a play for time.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
See,
that's what scared me about that Fusion teaser you just mentioned. Samus Returns seems to tease something big if you 100% the game, but the game has also that brief scene with the X parasite. I mean, first I thought of it as a reference and as a connection to Fusion and how the X parasite was free to roam after Samus destroying all the metroids in the planet. But I don't know, between that scene and the fact that Mercury Steam originally had the idea of remaking Fusion...

By the way, probably not gonna happen but if Metroid 5 is a thing I hope they bring back the subtitle "Dread" even if the game hasn't anything to do with what they planned with the original Metroid Dread.
I just think it's a cool title and fits the series very well. Also because it gaves me a feel of horror playing a relevant part of the game, which is something I really like for the franchise.

Completely agree with you. I don't really think Metroid needs more remakes to test the waters. In fact I don't really think you're gonna get a lot of new fans with remakes, at least in Metroid's case. The series needs a completely and fresh new game, inspired of course by previous 2D Metroid games and other successful metroidvania games.
I'd be okay with another remake if Zero Mission didn't exist, or Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were very old or had aged poorly. That isn't really the case if you ask me.

Being honest, if there's a 2D Metroid game in the works and ends being a remake, I'd be very disappointed.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You’re not a Smash fan until you look up from your phone or computer and feel the existential dread from the realization that we’ve gotten one character from Volume 2 since the announcement of Volume 2 in September of 2019.

I regret nothing.
93720FFC-3F1E-4D9E-A904-2DEA8F9AF7DD.jpeg

347 DAYS…

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
See,
that's what scared me about that Fusion teaser you just mentioned. Samus Returns seems to tease something big if you 100% the game, but the game has also that brief scene with the X parasite. I mean, first I thought of it as a reference and as a connection to Fusion and how the X parasite was free to roam after Samus destroying all the metroids in the planet. But I don't know, between that scene and the fact that Mercury Steam originally had the idea of remaking Fusion...
Y’all the story of Metroid Fusion is that Samus goes back to SR-388 to get samples and that’s when we learn that the Metroid were made to wipe out the X Parasite. The tease at the end isn’t to set up a remake, it’s meant to link the two titles together that otherwise were only said to be linked through dialogue. Of course, that would mean when Samus wipes out the Metroid the X Parasite would come back in force. It’s just connective story tissue. The Chozo are the tease.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we get the Pac-Man Ghosts, I don't want it to just be the original four: I want Spunky, Funky, Sue, and Glitchy along for the ride. Let's go full-on Bowser Jr. here!
Fun Fact: Spunky would be renamed if they did this, at least for the U.K. version.

Why?

Because it means something not for good boys and girls over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom