• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I kept on my word. I'll draw the new character. So here's the art for Min-Min. I only really did a rough sketch of Spring-Man before, but for a first attempt, I think I did OK. I still kind of suck at drawing chicks, but don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's probably just because Nintendo wants to advertise the DLC fighters' games and Joker And Banjo's origin games aren't available on the switch
View attachment 275840
Joker and Banjo don't have their games on the Switch, so they have nothing to show. They're not just gonna link to Playstation's or Xbox's sites.
Okay, the fact that I only got four hours of sleep made me explain my point badly...

I'm saying that this could signify a return to promotion based picks like Smash 4 due to a repeat in marketing strategy.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Wait a minute...

Hold up guys... Something potentially big here...

Look at the site...

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/70.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/72.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/74.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/75.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/76.html

If you look at the character pages, they now have links to their origin games. They catch? Only DLC characters seem to have them, and only characters with games you can buy on the Switch, right now have a link.

Basically :ultpiranha::ulthero::ult_terry::ultbyleth:Min Min have one.

:ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: do not.

What could this mean?
That they don't have games on the Switch....obviously. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, the fact that I only got four hours of sleep made me explain my point badly...

I'm saying that this could signify a return to promotion based picks like Smash 4 due to a repeat in marketing strategy.
I saw that way after I posted. Whoops.

Makes sense to me. I mean, business, amirite?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Tbh I wanted Spring Man because it's about time Smash had a character that wears basketball shorts, aka the most comfortable clothing to known to man.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

Well in that case, this raise chances for characters like Rex or a Gen 8 Pokemon in my opinion.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Didn't that already happen with Byleth

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That they don't have games on the Switch....obviously. :p

M y l i f e i s p a i n

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It doesn't bother me personally that Spring Man got shafted as much as it bothers my OCD that we got a Luigi before Mario situation.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Kinda wish Horror games were more widely popular, as besides RE there isn't many that could be considered serious contenders for Smash. Shame, would love to see the likes of Isaac or Sebastian get in.
I just got Resident Evil 1 and 4 for the Switch (eShop) over the weekend. I heard those two are some of the best Resident Evil games so I chose them to be my first Resident Evil games. I have to say, they are visually very good and scary (which is to be expected) but the gameplay is a little too tough for me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Hmm... I actually had a sort of wishlist of Nintendo-majority ad picks and what woudl entail with them. I'll post it later, when I have more time.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I just got Resident Evil 1 and 4 for the Switch (eShop) over the weekend. I heard those two are some of the best Resident Evil games so I chose them to be my first Resident Evil games. I have to say, they are visually very good and scary (which is to be expected) but the gameplay is a little too tough for me.
Tough in a sense of difficulty or tough in a sense of gameplay design?

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Even though a Tekken character looks unlikely at this point, I still hope we get either Jin or Kazuya in this pass. Honestly I always DREADED the possibility of heihachi getting in Smash instead of them and speculation here hardly ever bringing them up always discouraged me to participate.

I don't think having 4 attack button comparared to Smash's 2 button should be an issue. Neutral A for left punch and Neutral B for right punch or kick, then do combinations of AA, AB, ABA, ABB, BA, BBA, BAB and stuff to do a few moves from the original game. Same for tilts. It's not EXACTLY like Tekken, but it's close enough.

With that said, I also maintain that the character shouldn't NEED to bring mechanics from its original game to work, and rejecting characters because the mechanics don't fit in Smash is flat out dumb to me. All the character needs is to feel like itself, even if it plays nothing like in the original game - because this isn't his/her/its original game, this is Super Smash Bros. The vast majority of the Smash roster plays little to nothing like their original game and most of the players are fine with that, because most of these character play like they should/would in a platform fighting game, even if Smash is nothing like their home game.
Tbh I wanted Spring Man because it's about time Smash had a character that wears basketball shorts, aka the most comfortable clothing to known to man.
Not to mention it's easy to wear.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Damn Smash truly needs an horror rep and Resident Evil is the most obvious choice.
The Belmonts don't cut it, even though they kinda are the precursors of survival horror in a way.
I really like we got a Fatal Frame assist trophy though, Nintendo is thinking about that franchise.
And Alexandra Roivas spirit, of course Nintendo still thinks --- ah **** it all

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tough in a sense of difficulty or tough in a sense of gameplay design?
I think gameplay design. I learned that you cannot save the game as often as you like... since there is a limited number of typewriter ink. Oh, and the limited inventory slots... and I cannot really drop items if I don't need them, no, I have to look for storage boxes and put items in them to free up space in my inventory slots.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Byleth was picked yes, but was done without the return of a marketing strategy from Smash 4.
You mean whereby it happens with a larger percent of the choices, like base Smash 4? Because Byleth was certainly picked for marketing reasons given it was decided before 3H even came out.

Idk. With Ring Fit and Astral Chain out, there's not much I'd really be interested in. I'm not wild about promotional picks because it can result in inclusions that wouldn't happen otherwise, often instead of more popular or longstanding characters. But if they can eschew those habits, sure.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Wait a minute...

Hold up guys... Something potentially big here...

Look at the site...

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/70.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/72.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/74.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/75.html
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/76.html

If you look at the character pages, they now have links to their origin games. They catch? Only DLC characters seem to have them, and only characters with games you can buy on the Switch, right now have a link.

Basically :ultpiranha::ulthero::ult_terry::ultbyleth:Min Min have one.

:ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: do not.

What could this mean?
Are you certain they added this today?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
You know a franchise that no-one talks about but would fit really well in Smash? Plants vs Zombies. Everything from the character designs to the music just screams Smash potential. And games like Garden Warfare show that the plants themselves do have potential movesets. Too bad it's a western IP owned by EA. But alas, not everything is meant to be.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Even though a Tekken character looks unlikely at this point, I still hope we get either Jin or Kazuya in this pass. Honestly I always DREADED the possibility of heihachi getting in Smash instead of them and speculation here hardly ever bringing them up always discouraged me to participate.

I don't think having 4 attack button comparared to Smash's 2 button should be an issue. Neutral A for left punch and Neutral B for right punch or kick, then do combinations of AA, AB, ABA, ABB, BA, BBA, BAB and stuff to do a few moves from the original game. Same for tilts. It's not EXACTLY like Tekken, but it's close enough.

With that said, I also maintain that the character shouldn't NEED to bring mechanics from its original game to work, and rejecting characters because the mechanics don't fit in Smash is flat out dumb to me. All the character needs is to feel like itself, even if it plays nothing like in the original game - because this isn't his/her/its original game, this is Super Smash Bros. The vast majority of the Smash roster plays little to nothing like their original game and most of the players are fine with that, because most of these character play like they should/would in a platform fighting game, even if Smash is nothing like their home game.

Not to mention it's easy to wear.
I always brought up Jin anyways since he's my main in every Tekken game since 3, and dude's the longest standing protag. Of course all 3 Mishima's have their merits to joining in. With T3 being the first game I ever got to play, Jin's been one of those ride or die characters. So of course I'm gonna root for him in Smash.

I was thinking they'd have combo moves too, though not in the exact way that Min-Min does. Still a handful of combo strings fits Tekken and MK fairly well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know a franchise that no-one talks about but would fit really well in Smash? Plants vs Zombies. Everything from the character designs to the music just screams Smash potential. And games like Garden Warfare show that the plants themselves do have potential movesets. Too bad it's a western IP owned by EA. But alas, not everything is meant to be.
Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, but after whatever fallout vault boy happened between EA and Nintendo back in the Wii U era, I'm sure they're pretty near the bottom of the list of companies Nintendo would opt to reach out to for Smash. Probably just above Sony. :p

Especially since the western companies Nintendo seemingly has a good working relationship with like Ubisoft and Bethesda only get what they get.

But yeah, PvZ could fit. Probably the best out of all of EA's properties, imo.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean people wanting an assist trophy rule to be broken so Waluigi, Ashley, Shadow and such could have an chance.
Yeah there are surely many Assist Trophies fans want- but the idea that its a rule is one of those fantastic Smash fallacies. I know this is the old debate- but fans will just find new unstated and illogical rules.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So what do you guys think about the implications of Heihachi's Mii costume? What I mean by this is that it took this long for him to get his Mii costume back, despite the fact that he is a fairly prominent and requested character. This makes me nervous that Lloyd or even Geno could still get their Mii costumes back. Honestly I wouldn't put it pass them since they did wait until the November Direct, the last nanosecond, to deconfirm fan favorites for the base roster.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I actually think Plants vs. Zombies is relatively popular in Japan, especially for a Western IP. I don't think it ever reached Crash Bandicoot levels where the series was just as popular in Japan as the West, but it's still the most popular of EA's properties in the region.

At the very least, the Japanese version of There's a Zombie on Your Lawn is actually kinda awesome. I love that the zombies sound like salarymen dads in an anime.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It doesn't bother me personally that Spring Man got shafted as much as it bothers my OCD that we got a Luigi before Mario situation.
We were directly told Min Min is not equivalent to Luigi.
Perhaps your OCD could feel better if that fact could be reconciled that Min Min is indeed the mascot.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Perhaps your OCD could feel better if that fact could be reconciled that Min Min is indeed the mascot.
Well, that was obviously bull****. Spring Man was the first character shown in the trailer AND in Min Min's Smash Artwork, you can see Spring Man in the window knowing he got robbed.
They knew. Lol.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Is Min Min the protagonist of ARMS? Yes, by the metric that everyone in ARMS is considered a protagonist by the dev team. But the mascot? That seems a little far fetched. Outside of Smash, Min Min is very rarely the face of anything related to ARMS. It's Spring Man who adorns most of the game's marketing, promotional artwork, and even the cover. Even in the Smash content we're getting in this DLC pack, Spring Man was the NPC who took up the most screen time in the trailer, the one who's stage got promoted, and the character who's centre stage in the final smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, that was obviously bull****. Spring Man was the first character shown in the trailer AND in Min Min's Smash Artwork, you can see Spring Man in the window knowing he got robbed.
They knew. Lol.
Sounds like denial more than OCD, my friend.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is Min Min the protagonist of ARMS? Yes, by the metric that everyone in ARMS is considered a protagonist by the dev team. But the mascot? That seems a little far fetched. Outside of Smash, Min Min is very rarely the face of anything related to ARMS. It's Spring Man who adorns most of the game's marketing, promotional artwork, and even the cover. Even in the Smash content we're getting in this DLC pack, Spring Man was the NPC who took up the most screen time in the trailer, the one who's stage got promoted, and the character who's centre stage in the final smash.
Hell, Ribbon Girl, the second mascot, didn't get much at all. Which is kind of sad.

But yeah, we haven't seen a new mascot. ARMS 2 might have a new mascot, and Min Min looks fairly likely to take that part. Maybe with Spring Man, who is clearly still in the spotlight. It seems like Ribbon Girl might be pushed out.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pikachu wasnt on the cover until 4 mainline games into Pokemon.
Isabelle didn't exist until 2014.
Scorpion took a couple of games to start getting onto the cover as well.
Character based games have mascots develop over time frequently, these three above being some prime examples, and ARMS was always, very specifically, a character based game, where each one was themed, and even individually revealed and promoted before the game even released- the DLC characters got that treatment as well.
Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were the marketing options for the cover. The cover has to explain the game enough to parents who will think "oh, that's cool, here is money so my child can have this." Blue Boy (with a very simple name to explain the concept of the game). Pink Girl. It doesn't make them more prominent.

And now Nintendo confirmed that last part about them not being more important, as stated by ... was it the games creator? Someone high up. I cannot recall who at this moment.

Either way-let's see what happens with ARMS 2. I'd be quite shocked to see Spring Man on the cover.

Hell- it doesnt even matter, because if he was in any way intended to be the protagonist, fans voted on Min Min, the creator voted on Min Min, and now Smash is going to define the characters and how ARMS is seen.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, but after whatever fallout vault boy happened between EA and Nintendo back in the Wii U era, I'm sure they're pretty near the bottom of the list of companies Nintendo would opt to reach out to for Smash. Probably just above Sony. :p

Especially since the western companies Nintendo seemingly has a good working relationship with like Ubisoft and Bethesda only get what they get.

But yeah, PvZ could fit. Probably the best out of all of EA's properties, imo.
It does seem EA is trying to build a better relationship with Nintendo, what with them planning to port bigger games over and Apex legends coming this fall, but I do agree it'll probably be Eons before we ever see anything come of it.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hell, Ribbon Girl, the second mascot, didn't get much at all. Which is kind of sad.

But yeah, we haven't seen a new mascot. ARMS 2 might have a new mascot, and Min Min looks fairly likely to take that part. Maybe with Spring Man, who is clearly still in the spotlight. It seems like Ribbon Girl might be pushed out.
IIRC, I believe quickly google translating the Japanese ARMS tweet for Min Min's announcement called her "the poster girl" for ARMS. Now, I don't know how much of that is Google translate putting meaning where there is none, but it definitely adds credence to the idea that Spring Man stays as the male mascot and Min Min becomes the female mascot.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Spring Man is still the best character to represent ARMS, and Min Min getting in Smash doesn't change that. We're comparing a boxer to a noodle vendor.

I doubt Spring Man is being replaced.

So what do you guys think about the implications of Heihachi's Mii costume? What I mean by this is that it took this long for him to get his Mii costume back, despite the fact that he is a fairly prominent and requested character. This makes me nervous that Lloyd or even Geno could still get their Mii costumes back. Honestly I wouldn't put it pass them since they did wait until the November Direct, the last nanosecond, to deconfirm fan favorites for the base roster.
None of the missing Mii costumes are strange at this point. With each wave of Mii costumes, more and more Smash 4 costumes make a return. Lloyd and Geno could return at any time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sometimes this community is just so strange.

Creator of ARMS: "Spring Man is not more important than any other character."
Community: You don't know what you're talking about- Spring Man is everything.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I always brought up Jin anyways since he's my main in every Tekken game since 3, and dude's the longest standing protag. Of course all 3 Mishima's have their merits to joining in. With T3 being the first game I ever got to play, Jin's been one of those ride or die characters. So of course I'm gonna root for him in Smash.

I was thinking they'd have combo moves too, though not in the exact way that Min-Min does. Still a handful of combo strings fits Tekken and MK fairly well.
I'd 100% approve Jin Kazama since he was my favorite in Tekken 3 too (although that's because it's the only game without Kazuya lol), visually he would be very different from Ryu, Ken and Terry if they use his Tekken 4 and 5 look. He's a bit of an edgy boy (but then, anyone would be after having to deal with a big asshole like heihachi lol) but that's unique among the FG charaters we have right now. And I don't think I need to say anything about gameplay. I'd still prefer Kazuya because he has actual gameplay using his devil powers, something Jin has yet to properly use, and because I think Devil Jin woul be a poor example of what the character he has become over the years. Not to mention that Kazuya isn't just and "edgy boy", he's so evil he made the devil his ***** :smash:

There are still other characters I'd love to see but I'm sure will never make it, like Yoshimitsu (if only because he woul fit in Smash like a glove) and my second favorite King (the hype for him would be 1000%)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As long as Min Min is the mascot going forward with ARMS, then I can respect the choice more.
But as this moment, Spring Man got boned.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well if Sakurai's comments were a book, this site definitely would've tried to tear out the pages where he said there were too many FE characters and swordies. :laugh:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ugh. Here we go. Litterally no one knows what the future of ARMS is. (except the developers) We're going to be having this debate until ARMS 2 aren't we?

See I knew this would happen.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Just a reminder that Byleth was at one time the final character in Smash ultimate as a whole, and Geno's costume still didn't return at that point. Let's be cautious, guys.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
IIRC, I believe quickly google translating the Japanese ARMS tweet for Min Min's announcement called her "the poster girl" for ARMS. Now, I don't know how much of that is Google translate putting meaning where there is none, but it definitely adds credence to the idea that Spring Man stays as the male mascot and Min Min becomes the female mascot.
Okay, that makes sense. Poor Ribbon Girl. But this has happened before. These "popularity contests"(which are just tournaments) have decided stuff before.

That's not what the Creator remotely said. What they said is that Spring Man is not the core protagonist because anyone can be a protagonist among the playable characters.

You're taking it very much out of context here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom