• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean even the stage was based on King of Fighters and not fatal fury.
The King of Fighters tournament is a major plot point in both series.

After all, the tournament started in Fatal Fury.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I will say that there is still money to be made by adding Rex into Smash.

It's not like games stop selling after a certain amount of time. That said, let's be honest, we've all tried a new franchise due to Smash before.

Heck, this pass alone, got me to try Persona 5 and Dragon Quest VIII. I had a great time with both. That was well after both games hit their sales peak.
But did you ever play KOF 98 tho?
Sakuai when revealing fighter 11:
"every time I bring up the concept of a character not from a video game joining the battle, there's one character who I always bring up. Today, I'm proud to announce that I've changed my mind, the main character of a series of TV shows and movies based on comics is joining the battle! Who is it? Isn't it obvious?

he is Iron Man"
Not being Spider-Man or Wolverine would extremely cursed.

yeah there were plenty of people that were thinking Three Houses could get a character.

Most just didn't expect to actually get it during the first fighter's pass.
Same, thought'd be a lock for Season 2.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
When being playable is considered a consolation prize, I think the term has lost all meaning in a Smash context.
Ayo, can Mega Man X or Protoman get this "consolation prize?"

I think that was unique to ARMS.

There's not many games that you can limit the possible characters with a dozen or so characters.
Pretty much. Like Final Fantasy could have, before Cloud's reveal. The whole series is iconic, and while Cloud's the biggest of them all, I don't think guessing Terra or Bartz the Buttguy would be totally foolish if presented the opportunity. And maybe SNK since debating between guys Terry, Nakoruru, Kyo, Haohmaru, Ryo and the Metal Slug gang happened anyways.

If they double dipped on something like Sonic, Mega Man, Street Fighter or Xenoblade, then maybe, as the main leads are already in.

Pokemon could obviously work, especially if the choices were between what was new at the time.

There's a guy attempting to make the biggest fan ballot for Ultimate. He's halfway to his goal and he just posted the midway results. If you haven't voted yet then I recommend you do.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
You already know I voted for Mega Man X. And if you guys were cool you would too. Or Zero/Protoman/MM.EXE ect.
Say, if we'd get more Echo Fighters, who would you suspect would be added? Say we get a 3rd Fighter Pass, only Echo Fighters, 6 characters max. Which characters would you want / suspect ?

Also, since it's DLC, the characters can become more unique, like Ken or Chrom.
Protoman. He's got a lot of gimmicks in MM9 and MM10 alone that'd make him standout a fair bit from Mega Man, being more of a Glass Cannon since Mega Man is pretty tanky. Protoman also looks really cool.

EDIT. I really apologize. I was catching up and thought people were still posting between these recent posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well by my count it'll be 6 hours bare minimum before something else happens. Unless 4chan has a new "leak" to comb over.

That Min Min one still in a "90% unlikely but I don't want egg on my face so I'm hedging?" state?

-signed
A guy who doesn't want egg on his face

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But did you ever play KOF 98 tho?

I bought Fatal Fury Special and KoF 98 after Terry's reveal. KoF 98 is fun. So is FFS. Both have bull AI.

But the reveal wasn't the reason I gave the series a shot. I already owned KoF XIV and loved it, so I didn't list it.

Fatal Fury / King of Fighters were in the same ball park as Banjo Kazooie and Fire Emblem. A series I already knew I liked.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh them's fighting words.
They were saying Dr Coyle's the only one with the mindset to steal an invite, though I'd argue that Ninjara, being a Ninja and all that, would do it too albei for extra credit on his Ninja course.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Idk what happened but this thread did shift over to Springman after a while. When we first heard news this thread was all in favor for Min Min, just look at the poll.
Well, Min-Min is still way ahead of Spring Man on the current poll.
*looks at the poll at the top of the screen*
That's a nice poll on the top of the screen, would be a shame if people pretended it didn't exist.
That poll is explicitly asking which character you would LIKE to see and even if we want to pretend 100% of the people who voted misinterpreted the poll it still doesn't change the fact that the conversation is completely dominated by Springman. Nobody was talking about the poll until it was time to try to prove my post wrong.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Conversations shift depending on who's online and debating. It's only natural that the air of the thread can change from "It HAS to be Spring Man" to "Assist Trophies are still impossible!" to "Lola Pop is the only correct choice, you fools!" over time

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They were saying Dr Coyle's the only one with the mindset to steal an invite, though I'd argue that Ninjara, being a Ninja and all that, would do it too albei for extra credit on his Ninja course.
Ninjara must’ve absolutely bombed the midterm if he needs extra credit from both the ARMS tournament and Smash.

As for who will get in, I stated my thoughts a while back but I’ll honestly be happy with any of them. I followed ARMS through it’s release cycle, but after it launched and the hype died down, mine did too. But all the character designs are pretty good. Who knows, maybe we’ll even get cameos from those who don’t make it in? Could work like the King of Fighters Stadium where the cast members that couldn’t make it are watching in the background.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Gonna try to not spend all day refreshing NOA's twitter page hoping for Smash news today. Really think we're getting something this week though

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gonna try to not spend all day refreshing NOA's twitter page hoping for Smash news today. Really think we're getting something this week though
Refresh it once in an hour and again in another 5 after that. That'll cover the 9ams for the west coast and Japan. I don't think we'll get anything outside of those times.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
But you're forgetting that ARMS is not Splatoon, and that there is no definite proof that ARMS is getting a sequel. Min Min won a party crash bash, so that means she gets picked in Smash, and then made into the new main focus of ARMS? I don't buy it.
I'll admit that I'm not really into Splatoon and how the splatfests worked. I've played 20-30 hours of Splatoon 2 and that's my experience with the franchise. So maybe I'll say something stupid, but...
I don't get at all why the Party Crash Bash, which was still a tournament about skill and not or at least, not only a popularity contest, would determine the future of the franchise or who gets in Smash. As I said maybe I'd say something stupid because I'm not very familiar with the splatfests, but I just can't see Nintendo letting their fans to decide such important things like "who will be he protagonist of ARMS 2" or "which ARMS fighter will be picked for Smash".

Maybe it's just me but I'd expect Nintendo to make these decisions, in the end these decisions are also important business decisions. Imagine if for some reason Helix ended winning the Party Crash Bash. I'm not Nintendo, but I don't really think they would be pleased with Helix being the main face of the series.
It's not like Springman is a legendary character in the industry and for that reason Nintendo should keep him as the mascot or the face of ARMS, but rather that he is, at least for the moment, the closest thing to a mascot/protagonist for ARMS. At the same time he has a simple but effective design, a design that perfectly embodies the concept of ARMS.

I don't work at Nintendo, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would push very hard for him. He's the closest thing to a corporative choice when it comes to ARMS.

Remember guys and gals.
View attachment 274121
Every ARMS character is eligible. We could get Springman/Min Min but we may also get one of the lesser "recognizable" characters.
Every ARMS character is technically eligible, but we all know that we're not getting Byte and Barq or Misango to rep ARMS, for example. And in the case of ARMS I'm pretty sure that the ARMS will be the main focus of the fighter, and not his special abilities of said character in ARMS. In the end, that's the whole and main gimmick of ARMS.
With that in mind I'm not expecting characters such as Misango or Byte & Barq, because while they could be cool in Smash, I don't think they're the more fitting options in order to represent the concept of ARMS.

Being fun to play is important, but in my opinion any ARMS fighter would be fun to play because I think that most of the options, or at least Springman, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min, would still revolve about the ARMS and being really strong characters in the distance. I don't see their special abilities being the focus or a big part of their moveset, honestly.
And while I'd rather have Min Min over Springman (which I also like, btw), I'm not expecting her kicks playing a big part of his Smash version. Same for Ribbon Girl extra jumps. Those things will be part of the ARMS character, no matter who. I personally believe Springman would be pretty much as fun as any other choice, so if you add that to the fact that he's without a question the most recognizable ARMS character, it isn't a surprise to think that he's likely.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I just had another thought.

As its a new week, that means a new spirit event/tourney will be announced tomorrow. However, the week of Byleth's reveal/showcase we received the event of the weekend a day early.

Now, something occurring once isn't a pattern and there's a chance that was a one time exception, but just in case I'd keep an eye on Twitter to see if the weekly spirit board/tourney is announced today.

If it is, then we could receive the ARMS challenger reveal/showcase this week.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Remember guys and gals.
View attachment 274121
Every ARMS character is eligible. We could get Springman/Min Min but we may also get one of the lesser "recognizable" characters.
This quote gets so mangled to this day. The key factor is the "not JUST recognizable" part that indicates that, yes, being recognizable still plays an important factor in the matter, it's just not the end all be all. And if Sakurai has shown us anything over the past two decades with Smash, he can basically make any character "fun" once he sets his mind to it, so the statement itself has a bit less meaning with that in mind.

But also, I'm not sure that really applies to the individual fighters within the franchise as much as it does different options for Smash broadly speaking. The ARMS characters themselves don't necessarily offer a ton of differences between one another, but there are most certainly more recognizable and beloved characters within the game and its community. Choosing ARMS in the first place is arguably where this character comes into play (which, we also know Nintendo specifically requested based upon Sakurai's own comments), but I doubt it holds much meaning to who the ARMS rep will actually be at the end of the day.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Party Crash is a poor tool to judge a character's popularity. Not only does player skill largely determine which character will win, but it was set up with a tournament bracket. A lot of popular characters were defeated early because of bad luck with the matchups.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Party Crash is a poor tool to judge a character's popularity. Not only does player skill largely determine which character will win, but it was set up with a tournament bracket. A lot of popular characters were defeated early because of bad luck with the matchups.
I don't think that the PCB matters at all either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which is why it's so awful that it was literally set up to be one. It's still being used like one, since that's its premise. It's exactly the same thing as Splatfests. They're clearly popularity contests, but the winner is determined by skill, not by voting. And sometimes some of the data is used in the future(there's tons of Splatfests that have zero bearing on the future games too).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Isn’t Min-Min the creator’s favorite too? If she has bias from the creator & super popularity from the fans, then it makes since that she could overthrow Spring-Man.

It reminds me of Scorpion & Liu Kang.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I believe Spring Man is the favorite of the creators.

My favorite character in this game is Spring Man, but also I have to throw in a vote for Min Min. For Spring Man, he is kind of the simplest expression of the unique features of this game, of Arms as a whole. But for Min Min, she’s got a kind of a sharp face, you know sharper features, and she wears this badge on her chest protection that is the Japanese character for ramen noodles and so I think just as a Japanese person, she feels the most relatable out of all the characters.
My favorite character is also Spring Man, but somebody went ahead and took that one. I’m gonna go with Twintelle. There’s a lot that’s been said about her lately, but she’s a pretty rare character for Nintendo to put out there. She’s got a really strong build and I think that’s really appealing in the world of arms where these fights get really intense, so the characters are naturally gonna have a more muscly build.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Isn’t Min-Min the creator’s favorite too? If she has bias from the creator & super popularity from the fans, then it makes since that she could overthrow Spring-Man.

Yes, and there's also the added wrinkle of ARMS is a brand new series with one game under its belt. There's no 30 years of history with him as the mascot to go against like you'd be doing by not choosing Terry or Ryu from their respective series, you'd just be going against one game's box art and early marketing. ARMS was such a more straightforward game that it didn't really make any of its fighters the "protagonist", let alone even really endear the mascot in any way's beyond the simple "He's first on the character select screen" and "He's the one that shows up in some tutorials."

Overthrowing Spring Man isn't really going to be that much of a big deal considering his claim to fame largely rests on the back of just being the main one they initially advertised in the reveal and early life of the game before the community got its hands on the game. The next game could basically position any number of ARMS characters in the lead role and it wouldn't be some major upset. This is especially the case considering how little ARMS does to actually diversify its cast from a moveset perspective since it's more focused on the arms rather than the characters themselves from a gameplay perspective. The arms can be applied to basically any fighter in the game, which means, while each fighter has initial arms, the more you play, the more opportunity you actually have to make the characters less distinctive and diverse from one another.

Basically, it wouldn't take much at all to just go a different direction.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I think that his favorite is Spring Man actually.

Edit: :ultgreninja:‘d like 3 times.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
One for each arm.
We can take this further.

For example: Max Mechanica Spring Helix Pop or Twin Min Ribbon Coyle Kobra. And Knuckles. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

(So this is my 1000th post here. I regret nothing.)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We can take this further.

For example: Max Mechanica Spring Helix Pop or Twin Min Ribbon Coyle Kobra. And Knuckles. Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

(So this is my 1000th post here. I regret nothing.)
Excuse you where’s the New Funky Mode?? :secretkpop:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I was thinking that if Sakurai used the same method to prevent leaks as he did with Byleth we should get the reveal this week and the character two weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom