• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, before ARMS's reveal, people would have said it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to advertise ARMS through Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It does, because one was available for a post-launch DLC window and thus it would get prioritized, while the other didn't.
It really doesn't.

And ARMS is a recent IP with moderate success that Nintendo has been interesting to promote more in recent times, Xenoblade doesn't requires that as much post-Shulk in Smash, and the time and financial window just wasn't favorable for XBC2 at the time of both Ultimate's development and the first Fighters Pass.
I'm not arguing that there isn't any justification for picking one game over the other, just that it happened. And to be honest, the reason they gave for Rex being a Mii Costume was pretty disingenuous, as the actual reason was "we like Fire Emblem more".

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
It really doesn't.
Well, tell me how it doesn't?
I'm not arguing that there isn't any justification for picking one game over the other, just that it happened. And to be honest, the reason they gave for Rex being a Mii Costume was pretty disingenuous, as the actual reason was "we like Fire Emblem more".
*"The new Fire Emblem is coming out soon and would give us more profit than advertising a game already released before"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, before ARMS's reveal, people would have said it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to advertise ARMS through Smash.
Everything was extremely obvious and made perfect sense, but only after the reveal.

"Yeah, I saw a 3H character coming a mile away. What's that? Only third-parties? I never said anything like that!"

"We all knew ARMS was coming. It was too obvious. Hmm? They'd start the second pass off with a really big character like a third-party? LOL did anyone actually believe that?!"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Everything was extremely obvious and made perfect sense, but only after the reveal.

"Yeah, I saw a 3H character coming a mile away. What's that? Only third-parties? I never said anything like that!"
I'll take pride in the fact that I was confirmed not one of these people and heavily involved in the "there's a first party probably" group. :denzel:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I completely disagree. Dante being classified as a Marvel Vs. Capcom character would ignore Devil May Cry's history, and there's a very low chance that much of Marvel Vs. Capcom's music would even fit on Dante's stage were we to focus on Devil May Cry. If we weren't going to have an original character represent the series, Street Fighter would make a ton more sense to use tracks from them.
"
doesn't do a disservice its part of dantes history. Dante (like ken does in ultimate) having elements from his marvel vs time is a viable way to show the character's history. and considering Dante has theme music from multiple vs games to pull from this isnt a real concern.

I.D.

Smash Lord
tfw you post evidence of not just Nintendo promoting XB2 right now, but said promotion actually having a tangible effect on sales after months of people claiming "Nintendo has no reason to promote it" but it has to get immediately derailed with Elma and Fire Emblem because the newcomer speculation thread cannot handle having a normal conversation about this game ever

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will say that there is still money to be made by adding Rex into Smash.

It's not like games stop selling after a certain amount of time. That said, let's be honest, we've all tried a new franchise due to Smash before.

Heck, this pass alone, got me to try Persona 5 and Dragon Quest VIII. I had a great time with both. That was well after both games hit their sales peak.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Stage:

Only song necessary:
Bonus song (to right past wrongs):
he has way more than i thought but i doubt he'd get in. he is an original character from a vs game in which he had no relevance amigo appearance in marvel 2 was, in theory, going to be like roy's in melee to advertise but the game never came out and now he's just that weird one-off cactus character. he's not even the most popular original character in the versus series. that goes to ruby heart.

both seem like really far reaches for a capcom rep as opposed to who i listed before.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
he's not even the most popular original character in the versus series. that goes to ruby heart.
I'm not sure if she's more popular, but she is supposed to be MvC2's protagonist.

If they did pick her, I'd imagine the airship would be her stage, not the amusement park.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly I see Amingo talked about more than Ruby.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because if you said Nintendo I was gonna say I need the sauce for that.

Also, I need the sauce for that.
It was based on Digital Hazard's inference that as a newer game from a more financially successful series, Fire Emblem: Three Houses would get priority over Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

doesn't do a disservice its part of dantes history. Dante (like ken does in ultimate) having elements from his marvel vs time is a viable way to show the character's history. and considering Dante has theme music from multiple vs games to pull from this isnt a real concern.
I must have confused you from flipping from Dante as a Marvel Vs. Capcom character to Marvel Vs. Capcom being represented as a part of the Devil May Cry series. The former would be pretty disingenuous, the latter has issues with sticking songs that have nothing to do with Devil May Cry on Dante's stage, and playing happy jazz music in a very Gothic looking stage.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It's Thursday with no Nintendo announcement.
Zippo lied to me!!!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
both seem like really far reaches for a capcom rep as opposed to who i listed before.
Eh. I'm not sure anyone was arguing that he was likely or even on the table anyway. Just feasible as far as the act of including him is concerned.

Amingo even had a fake leak.

View attachment 273776

Eat your ****ing heart out, Ruby. Amingang forever. :071:
Ooh, and a really well done one too. I mean, it's not particularly convincing (an official render would have more texture work), but it's at least got some effort behind it. The right image might have fooled some people if they claimed it was an Assist Trophy.

Zippo lied to me!!!
I hope you get Reverse Carded...Because that would mean a Nintendo announcement.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Zippo lied to me!!!
Nintendo is in social media silence in solidarity and support of the protests. Not surprising there’s no announcement considering the state of the world.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ooh, and a really well done one too. I mean, it's not particularly convincing (an official render would have more texture work), but it's at least got some effort behind it. The right image might have fooled some people if they claimed it was an Assist Trophy.
It showed up on 4chan randomly, and it was pretty well-timed for me because I started talking about Amingo support as a joke originally. And then this **** pops up all of a sudden and people asked me if I made it. My post of it is extremely small compared to its original 1200x1200 image, but it's erased from every part of the internet except this website, apparently.

Doesn't matter though, now I'm officially all for Amingo. :happysheep: If he can get this far I'm going all the way.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If you guys want Mahvel content so much, why not suggest Marvel characters, at the very least a Mii costume. (:
No lie though, Wolverine Mii is one of my biggest hopes for Ultimate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you guys want Mahvel content so much, why not suggest Marvel characters, at the very least a Mii costume.
Because I want Amingo and not Spider-Man. It is not complicated.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you guys want Mahvel content so much, why not suggest Marvel characters, at the very least a Mii costume. (:
I'd argue that giving a non-video game character a slot on the roster is a lot harder to justify even as a part of a video game franchise than giving a non-video game character content paired with a video game character as an actual fighter due to their importance to the game and its history. Like, even if we get Sora, I wouldn't argue that Mickey should be added next or anything.

This line of logic could be goalpost moving but...iiii dunno.

Also this:
Because I want Amingo and not Spider-Man.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That kind of Capcom character showing up as a fighter could then followed by a Sega character with the obvious figures for them coming out at some point as well.

Meaning this time next year we could have Samba de Amigo & Amingo Amiibo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This page is officially sanctioned for Amingo Appreciation.

78y.gif

KillerCage

Smash Master

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
The ARMS character is actually a ARMS 2 character that's just a cactus with vine arms and it sets the theme of a cactus themed fighter pass including Amingo, Togemon, Cactuar, Cacturne and a Pokey. :4pacman:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The ARMS character is actually a ARMS 2 character that's just a cactus with vine arms and it sets the theme of a cactus themed fighter pass including Amingo, Togemon, Cactuar, Cacturne and a Pokey. :4pacman:
It's another FF character so I'll ****ing take it. Plus two more tracks woo!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sakuai when revealing fighter 11:
"every time I bring up the concept of a character not from a video game joining the battle, there's one character who I always bring up. Today, I'm proud to announce that I've changed my mind, the main character of a series of TV shows and movies based on comics is joining the battle! Who is it? Isn't it obvious?

he is Iron Man"

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I will say that there is still money to be made by adding Rex into Smash.

It's not like games stop selling after a certain amount of time. That said, let's be honest, we've all tried a new franchise due to Smash before.

Heck, this pass alone, got me to try Persona 5 and Dragon Quest VIII. I had a great time with both. That was well after both games hit their sales peak.
Got me to try Fatal Fury, too.

Shroob

Sup?

"We all knew ARMS was coming. It was too obvious. Hmm? They'd start the second pass off with a really big character like a third-party? LOL did anyone actually believe that?!"
To be fair, there was a subset of people that found 3 Houses' lack of spirit event to be really suspect, myself included.

Just, there were two main points against it.

1# "It could get one later/X game hasn't had one yet so it means nothing"

and the loudest was of course

2# "Do you REALLY think Nintendo would end on a 1st party when the rest of the pass was 3rd?"

To be blunt, I was cackling like a madman when Byleth was revealed because I felt super vindicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom