• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If you are worried about your friends, throw out an energy punch while quickly sliding forward along the ground and asking, "Are you okay?"
If fighting games have taught me anything, you beat the **** out of your friends to show how much you care for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Everyone always talks about Crash and while he'd be super cool, no one ever gives Spyro any love here...
Probably because Crash was always more popular, and unlike Crash, Spyro was never successful in Japan due to how horribly mangled his first two games were in the localization process.

Like the first two games did so poorly Year of the Dragon wasn't even released there. I think that says it all.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I figured I'd ask what peoples' opinions on Ryu Hayabusa are. Not sure if he's a hot topic in this thread in particular but he's just one of those characters that's been lingering around in speculation forever and wanted to see how people here feel about him going into Season 2.
I think he'd be cool. Not sure how much he'd fit my playstyle though since I envision him to basically be a humanoid Greninja. I'm like incapable of learning drag down moves, so if he has one of those, I'd be screwed.

On how good his odds are, couldn't say. I'd assume that would be more your wheelhouse and other insiders, but if he's been heard even further back than season 2 discussions, he very well likely could have been leakbait for Byleth.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Probably because Crash was always more popular, and unlike Crash, Spyro was never successful in Japan due to how horribly mangled his first two games were in the localization process.

Like the first two games did so poorly Year of the Dragon wasn't even released there. I think that says it all.
Ooooooh yeah, forgot about that. Dang, that's a shame; Spyro would be really cool.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Ryu hayabusa is pretty "meh" for me. The only Ninja Gaiden I've played is the first game on NES, and I didn't particularly care for it. It also doesn't help that he's been beaten over my head with how much he has been brought up during speculation.

Still, Ryu's a ninja, and ninjas are cool, so I wouldn't really be upset with his inclusion. I'm sure he could have a cool moveset atleast.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Ryu is kind of an eh pick for me, I'm just not into Ninja Gaiden and I'm honestly not sure if I personally would find his potential moveset super interesting.

In terms of likelihood, I don't think I'd say he's any more or less likely than any other picks right now. Only thing he had going for him that got him super prevalent in discussion last year was the fake 4chan leaks, and those were, well, fake. He works as a good face for Koei Tecmo, so that could be a point in his favor. Kind of hard to say, honestly.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I figured I'd ask what peoples' opinions on Ryu Hayabusa are. Not sure if he's a hot topic in this thread in particular but he's just one of those characters that's been lingering around in speculation forever and wanted to see how people here feel about him going into Season 2.
He's just a void to me honestly, I have no experience with him or series so I don't go out of my way to support him.
I'm sure as a Ninja Sakurai will probably cook up a good moveset for him but honestly he's not on my radar at all.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I admittedly haven't played a Ninja Gaiden game, but I understand Ninja Gaiden's place in video game history and Ryu Hayabusa would be pretty cool, so I would be hyped for his inclusion.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
hey guys uh...

i have bad news about ryu.

he died. he got run over in a wendy's parking lot.

the government was gonna try to keep it secret but my grand uncle works for mr. nintendo who works with mr. koei tecmo and they told mr. nintendo and he broke out crying and my grand uncle helped him through it and then he told me about it since it was pretty stressful for him and he needed to vent and im a good listener.

now please press the like button below and give me precious internet clouttm to feed my fragile ego.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Ninja Gaiden is a fun, albeit bull**** game and ninjas are pretty ****ing cool, so Hayabusa wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

D

Deleted member

hey guys uh...

the government was gonna try to keep it secret but my grand uncle works for mr. nintendo who works with mr. koei tecmo and they told mr. nintendo and he broke out crying and my grand uncle helped him through it and then he told me about it since it was pretty stressful for him and he needed to vent and im a good listener.

now please press the like button below and give me precious internet clouttm to feed my fragile ego.
So Byleth was a cover-up for Ryu.

blackghost

Smash Champion
So I actually went back to looking at the Dante articles, and I feel it's best to clarify.

First, Mr. Itsuno is interviewed and the article for said interview is published on February 7th. It can be found here. In the article, he says that Dante should be on Nintendo consoles first before being in Smash. He says, "Get on it!" around the "port manager" who happens to be at the interview. So this now happens to be over a year ago.

Next, on May 7th, Devil May Cry Switch port is announced officially. This means there's a timeline of 3 months where the game is announced for Switch. Obviously negotiations are a thing, as is development. Granted, it's a port so much of the game is already set to start on.

I do think the whole thing is interesting. Doesn't confirm Dante at all, but the thing of it is...the context of those comments was Dante being in Smash. That in itself is pretty crazy.
these are the kind of things that the company of Nintendo would set in motion if they were interested in him being in the game. these were visible steps taken to build a relationship and establish a prensence on the system. i dont think its a reach to find that dante fits in the timeline of getting into season 2.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So with Hayabusa one of the current discussions. How would you guys rate his chances in terms of percentage? I'm curious.

Me I'd probably at least put him over 50%.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think it would be really cool if Ryu joined Smash. His games are cool, his character is cool, and his moveset would be cool.

He's COOL

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ditto here. I personally wouldn't mind him. An traditional ninja character, one of the last NES icons. He more then earns a spot. Plus a three way battle between him,:ultgreninja:and:ultsheik:. I can also imagine his trailer reveal being like the original Ninja Gaiden opening but with Greninja and Sheik.

The only thing is people will probably be referring him as Sword Sheik.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
hey guys uh...

My uncle's uncle sent me the super secret form candidates have to fill out when applying to Smash Bros:

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 1.14.53 PM.png

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Would be hyped to see him, possibly even more so than anyone in Pass 1 depending on what songs are added.

Has a large moveset potential due to having started in multiple genres; would be the first Beat-em-Up rep in Smash for example.

Given both his and Koei Temco's history, he seems like a common sense addition. At least in that sense, I'd be a bit more willing to bet on him more so any other 3rd party aside from another Bandai Namco rep.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So with Hayabusa one of the current discussions. How would you guys rate his chances in terms of percentage? I'm curious.

Me I'd probably at least put him over 50%.
I'd say the same. Hayabusa has the NES Legend down, he's semi relevant with his last game being DoA6, he's popular, and his company is one of if not Nintendo's Number 1 partner what with all the games they've mad together across Zelda, Fire Emblem, Fatal Frame, and even Pokemon. It's kinda shocking he hasn't made it in yet, to me.

I dunno about this whole leakbait thing. I've only started hearing that thrown around in the last couple of years and it just seems like a way for leakers to shift the blame when they're wrong. Like, "oh, I heard of this character but he got disconfirmed. He must've been leakbait." Just seems like a way to escape the consequences of getting something wrong.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Plus a three way battle between him,:ultgreninja:and:ultsheik:..
The thing that makes me want to see Ryu in a crossover isn't him fighting other ninjas, it's him possibly fighting other action game icons like Bayonetta or Dante and Kratos if they get in. There are people who remember Ryu more fondly as an NES icon, but I remember him more so as an action game icon and I would love to see the day where Ryu dukes it out with Dante and Kratos.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Mortal Kombat 11 didn't even come out in Japan, Scorpion is kinda dead in the water in my eyes.
scorpion and MK is out not because of gore but because japan doesnt like hyperviolence and the mk series in general. scorpion is a household name but the mk game series has more awful games than good ones and the series biggest contribution to the industry is the creation of the ratings system by country's governments.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The **** you mean 'not a big deal during the 90s' 4 Tomb Raider games are in the top 20 best selling ps1 games of all time with the first 2 being in the top 10. There's a reason people went to the 2001 movie, and it was brand recognition
educate these posters please.

I wouldn't be against Lara because I love Tomb raider and I know she's very important, but I think a problem that comes to mind is moveset potential. I'm not saying she doesn't have any moveset potential, but she's really just a regular human, and she doesn't use as much gadget as Snake for example. So I wonder what could she brings on the table that makes her feel very unique, while still keeping the feel that you're playing as a regular archeologist.
lara is not a regular archeologist. nothing about her games is about that. shes always beenbasically a peak human in her games. she could easily use objects she taken from tombs, her bow and arrows, whips,pistols, and more.i beleigve she has also had mutiple magical items like thors hammer and other oblects like that. lara has plenty of games and source amterial. making amoveset for lara is easier than Plant, game and watch, or falcon.

maybe not harder than a decloned ganon. /s

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we're gonna get another Square character I'm almost certain it'll be Lara. I've said that for a while.

She may be Western but she's a big, big, BIG deal, she has 3 movies for christ's sake with an upcoming sequel, she's owned by Square who already has their sausages all over Smash, and she's just plain iconic as the most well-known female video game character of all time. I'm like 99% certain that if Square gets another character it'll be Lara Croft.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Everyone always talks about Crash and while he'd be super cool, no one ever gives Spyro any love here...
Most people will only rally support around characters deemed "possible". Notice how 1st party support dropped substantially after the pass was predicted to be "just third parties" or how Banjo support spiked after the Phil Spencer tweet. It's understandable but it makes for an echo chamber where you often only here the same few characters, especially those with recent "leaks".

Spyro would be totally sick, but the Japanese port of the original game murdered any chance for that series to take off in Japan sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom