• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Tails would make sense as the second Sonic rep considering he's essentially Sonic's Luigi, but I think a case can be made for Eggman for that spot as well, mainly due to seniority as he and Sonic predate all other Sonic characters, whereas Mario and Luigi had existed before Bowser and Peach.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think the waters would need to be tested with a Sonic character before dropping someone like Chun Li or Sephiroth (or another FF protag), who are big names in their own right. Or like... Zero or Alucard, but those would require promotions.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.
Trying to build some houses on DQB2 but I keep hitting creativity blocks

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Is the Sonic series safe? Sure. But it feels arbitrary to say the Sonic series should get a second rep first given that Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Mega Man, etc. all have iconic characters that stand up to or outclass Sonic characters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think they should test the waters with a second Sonic character first. That would probably be the safest and most popular franchise to experiment with.
Why do they need to test the waters with Sonic when Sonic's cast isn't even the most notable secondary fighters you could pick from the third parties in Smash? And that's without even saying why do they need to "Test the waters" for any character? If they've implemented 14 third parties and charged straight into Byleth with little regard for fan's frustration, they're not going to back off someone huge like Chun-Li or Sepiroth for "fear of the waters."

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Is the Sonic series safe? Sure. But it feels arbitrary to say the Sonic series should get a second rep first given that Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Mega Man, etc. all have iconic characters that stand up to or outclass Sonic characters.
I think it should come down to Tails or Eggman.

With Tails. He's Sonic's Luigi. His Player 2.

Eggman he's to Sonic as Bowser is to Mario.

I'd actually like to see Eggman. Another mech user like:ultbowserjr:though I would understand why most would prefer for Tails.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think it should come down to Tails or Eggman.

With Tails. He's Sonic's Luigi. His Player 2.

Eggman he's to Sonic as Bowser is to Mario.

I'd actually like to see Eggman. Another mech user like:ultbowserjr:though I would understand why most would prefer for Tails.
---my point--->
you

You missed the point. I'm saying that the Sonic series doesn't "deserve" a second rep moreso than other series.

I'd personally like much more to see Chun-li or Sephiroth before Tails or Eggman. I feel like they could bring novel unique movesets to Smash based on kicks and ****ing impaling people the crazy **** Sephiroth can do.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
---my point--->
you

You missed the point. I'm saying that the Sonic series doesn't "deserve" a second rep moreso than other series.

I'd personally like much more to see Chun-li or Sephiroth before Tails or Eggman. I feel like they could bring novel unique movesets to Smash based on kicks and ****ing impaling people the crazy **** Sephiroth can do.
*Looks at post*

Argh god dammit I misinterpreted your post my bad...:facepalm:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why the **** would Sakurai need to test the waters for more characters from already represented franchises? "Hmmm, I don't know, people really like these franchises and these franchises have lots of popular characters, but will people like the characters people already like if I add them in Smash?"

I.D.

Smash Lord
Despite being a big Final Fantasy VII fan I don't know how I would feel about Sephiroth. Over the years he has become more and more associated with his relatively simplistic and normal nodachi wielder self, when in the original game most of the times you interacted with him he came across as bizarre, unsettling and otherworldly. If they are just gonna make him long katana man with sword beams then I can't get very excited for him honestly, but maybe Sakurai would go the extra mile to incorporate all that good Jenova stuff in his moveset.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sephiroth and Eggman are definitely up there with Bowser as among the most iconic video game villains. More then earns a spot and I for one would mind any of their inclusions.

Only thing with Sephiroth people will start saying.

"Sephiroth's sword is too long!".

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sonic is arguably one of the most iconic third-parties in Smash, and the supporting cast is pretty well-known too. That's why I think the Sonic series would be a good place to start if Sakurai wanted to double-dip.

Whether or not any of those characters would be more unique than a FF or SF character is up for debate (even though there's nothing that guarantees Sakurai will make the character as unique as we think), but my main point stands.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I doubt it's gonna happen, But I personally would be annoyed if we got 3rd party secondary characters (Excluding Echoes) from an existing franchise already having representation rather than a new star/protagonist/mascot character universe crossing over for the 1st time.

It just doesn't seem like it does much for pushing the crossover potential aspect of worlds colliding in Smash.

I wouldn't mind and would actually welcome it if we get the majority of the big names left such as Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, Heihachi etc, But until than theirs bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Probably referring to the fact that licensing his real-world likeness would be an issue. I don't think that's really the case, though it would definitely be a bit strange, but the thing with Bond is that being a movie character Bond was specifically played in the movie by the actor Pierce Brosnan, whereas Sam is a videogame character digitally "acted" so, yknow, different situations.

Also I want Eggman and all but it's silly to say they need to "test the waters" with him or Tails before giving us Chun-Li or Sephiroth or Tifa or Terra or whoever from an existing third-party series. Almost every third party in Smash has potential for a second rep that's just as iconic as any additional Sonic character they could add.

Regarding that, though, I think that they want to focus on adding new worlds - either through new series' or existing series with new disconnected entries as seen with Byleth. At the same time, you're not going to catch me complaining past the initial "oh it's from a repped series" if they add a cool character from a series I already like. That'd be silly.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Probably referring to the fact that licensing his real-world likeness would be an issue. I don't think that's really the case, though it would definitely be a bit strange, but the thing with Bond is that being a movie character Bond was specifically played in the movie by the actor Pierce Brosnan, whereas Sam is a videogame character digitally "acted" so, yknow, different situations.

Also I want Eggman and all but it's silly to say they need to "test the waters" with him or Tails before giving us Chun-Li or Sephiroth or Tifa or Terra or whoever from an existing third-party series. Almost every third party in Smash has potential for a second rep that's just as iconic as any additional Sonic character they could add.

Regarding that, though, I think that they want to focus on adding new worlds - either through new series' or existing series with new disconnected entries as seen with Byleth. At the same time, you're not going to catch me complaining past the initial "oh it's from a repped series" if they add a cool character from a series I already like. That'd be silly.
You say that but FF has a big ass boon for the new worlds department

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think they should test the waters with a second Sonic character first. That would probably be the safest and most popular franchise to experiment with.
I... really don't think multiple-characters-per-3rd-party-series is something that really needs to be tested, I don't think there's much opposition to the concept. I do agree with you that Sonic should be the first to get a second character. It's been the third party that's been in Smash for the longest amount of time, and it has a massive secondary cast (I don't even think many would mind if it got both Tails and Eggman). Megaman, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Castlevania could also really use another character.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You say that but FF has a big ass boon for the new worlds department
I started by referring to a new FF7 character and forgot my point halfway through my sentence. Whoops. You're right.

They should add Squall because I specifically will be happy.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't it be something if the "testing the waters" thing was actually the case for when Nintendo added Byleth to see if people wanted more 1st Parties as DLC and decided that he'll be the last 1st Party character in Ultimate because of the amount of negative feedback they got when compared to the previous DLC characters?

Even though feedback isn't what Nintendo's going to give a **** about, I wouldn't complain since the only 1st Party character I'd be remotely interested in is Ring Fit Trainer at this point, but it would definitely suck for those that wanted more 1st Parties that's for sure.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Tails would make sense as the second Sonic rep considering he's essentially Sonic's Luigi, but I think a case can be made for Eggman for that spot as well, mainly due to seniority as he and Sonic predate all other Sonic characters, whereas Mario and Luigi had existed before Bowser and Peach.
If a second Sonic character were to be DLC, Eggman can definitely carry himself better than Tails imo. It's easier to have a stage and music that's specifically related to him, and as an antagonist he stands better on his own, where as Tails' sidekick role makes him a little more awkward as a headlining act.

Tails kinda runs into the same problem that I feel that Bandana Dee and Dixie have, they'd complement the roster very well as base game additions, but they struggle to fit the format of a DLC Pass where they have to take center stage and have so much additional content tailored around them, as other than their own unique abilities they're really just an extension of what the lead character has already brought to the table. That doesn't mean I wouldn't personally like these type of characters, but given the whole 'new worlds' focus, they're in a pretty awkward spot.

For the record I feel the same way about Chun-Li and Tifa, and sort of Sephiroth as well (antagonists can get away with it a bit better imo, although the nature of FF means he's still stuck representing an already represented part of its universe). Out of all the currently represented 3rd party series on the roster, the characters which would probably fit the best would be Zero, Alucard or Terra, although the former two are of course ATs, while Terra doesn't really have the popularity, even if her game does.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Random topic time: whats the most ridiculous theory have you seen regarding a character or anything smash related?

I will start with something pretty light. Some folks implied from a Scott Melvine that Lloyd Irving was coming to smash since he hinted he was working on something big. Even though he hasnt voiced Lloyd since....what, the first game?

Turns out he meant COD zombies :p

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Wouldn't it be something if the "testing the waters" thing was actually the case for when Nintendo added Byleth to see if people wanted more 1st Parties as DLC and decided that he'll be the last 1st Party character in Ultimate because of the amount of negative feedback they got when compared to the previous DLC characters?

Even though feedback isn't what Nintendo's going to give a **** about, I wouldn't complain since the only 1st Party character I'd be remotely interested in is Ring Fit Trainer at this point, but it would definitely suck for those that wanted more 1st Parties that's for sure.
I’m pretty sure they’ve decided on all of the Fighter Pass Vol 2 characters months before Byleth’s reveal. So I don’t think they were testing the waters. I also don’t think Nintendo would need to do that anyway since Ridley & K Rool’s reveals were just as popular as Joker/Banjo/Hero.

As for second reps from third party series, I’d say Eggman/Tails, Chun-Li & Sephiroth/another FF protagonist should get priority over anyone else. Those are easily the biggest names there, I’d say theyre bigger than a lot of new series that could get in too.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Random topic time: whats the most ridiculous theory have you seen regarding a character or anything smash related?

I will start with something pretty light. Some folks implied from a Scott Melvine that Lloyd Irving was coming to smash since he hinted he was working on something big. Even though he hasnt voiced Lloyd since....what, the first game?

Turns out he meant COD zombies :p
Chairs obviously. And maybe cacomallow. But I don’t want to be burned at stake

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as 2nd 3rd party picks, Tifa would probably be my most wanted, Sephiroth would be great as well.

Not much else would really get me that hyped however. I’d much prefer to get new universes, new music, new character crossovers instead. But I’ve said that many times in the past.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I... really don't think multiple-characters-per-3rd-party-series is something that really needs to be tested, I don't think there's much opposition to the concept. I do agree with you that Sonic should be the first to get a second character. It's been the third party that's been in Smash for the longest amount of time, and it has a massive secondary cast (I don't even think many would mind if it got both Tails and Eggman). Megaman, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, and Castlevania could also really use another character.
Didn't really mean anything by that other than thinking Sonic should probably be the first franchise to get a second unique character.

The characters are iconic, there's fan demand, unique moveset material - don't see why we shouldn't start there.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Didn't really mean anything by that other than thinking Sonic should probably be the first franchise to get a second unique character.

The characters are iconic, there's fan demand, unique moveset material - don't see why we shouldn't start there.
I was agreeing with you - I just don't think it's water that needs to be tested. Just jump into the water, add Tails, Eggman, maybe even both!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sonic is arguably one of the most iconic third-parties in Smash, and the supporting cast is pretty well-known too. That's why I think the Sonic series would be a good place to start if Sakurai wanted to double-dip.

Whether or not any of those characters would be more unique than a FF or SF character is up for debate (even though there's nothing that guarantees Sakurai will make the character as unique as we think), but my main point stands.
Final Fantasy is bigger than Sonic by quite a wide margin though...

All three of those qualities apply to Chun-Li, Sepiroth, and a bunch of others, even more so than most of Sonic's supporting cast in several instances.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Final Fantasy is bigger than Sonic by quite a wide margin though...

All three of those qualities apply to Chun-Li, Sepiroth, and a bunch of others, even more so than most of Sonic's supporting cast in several instances.
I think it's because of the idea that Nintendo VS Sega is somehow still relevant or an innate desire for more cartoony punchy dudes

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I imagine Nintendo is hesitant to add wholly new characters from existing 3rd party series, not because there's an arbitrary rule saying they can't, but simply because if they have the resources to license and develop a new fighter, why not just make it from a new 3rd party series? Echoes like Ken are probably the most we'll be getting for awhile.

Not that the 'iconic' argument is all that substantive, but... come on. Between Sonic and Final Fantasy, it's not that hard. Say what you will about sales numbers, but the wider, casual side of the Smash audience will definitely know Tails or Knuckles before they know Chun Li or Sephiroth. Sonic isn't the most hip thing inside the hardcore Smash bubble, and Cloud is definitely a big deal, but you'd be hard pressed to claim any third party franchise has more recognizable characters than Sonic.

Of course, we got Solid god***n Snake of all characters before Sonic, anyway, to put into perspective how little this matters.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe, but aside from possibly moveset potential which is completely up to Sakurai, I wouldn't say either of the characters you mentioned are the clear winners of iconicness and fan demand when put up against someone like Knuckles or Eggman. In terms of fan demand, I don't think it's much of a contest. I've been seeing requests for another Sonic character far more often than I have with any other third-party franchise in Smash.

I'm not saying we shouldn't get a SF or FF character. I just think there are more reasons to prioritize adding a Sonic character first before getting to those franchises.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
A second Sonic rep would be really interesting to see, and my choice would be the bad doc himself. Eggman is like the videogame evil doctor, he's pretty much the most entertaining part of Sonic games. Sure, Chun-Li and Sephiroth are big deals, but I'd argue Eggman is an even bigger deal than both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom