• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

andree123

Smash Ace
So, straight up E3 predictions them? One character or two? Erdrick followed by a Microsoft character or something else entirely unexpected?
One will be announced at E3 and it will be a western/Microsoft rep.

A smash direct/video in July releases the western/Microsoft rep and Erdrick

August direct will announce Lloyd in a animated trailer but no gameplay at all.

December smash direct/video releases Lloyd and announces Sylux as the last fighter.

February smash direct/video releases Sylux and Porky was confirmed to be a standalone DLC fighter (and maybe DLC echoes?) along with the fighters pass 2 with 9 fighters in it, Porky and the DLC echoes are released at the same day as Sylux.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So, straight up E3 predictions them? One character or two? Erdrick followed by a Microsoft character or something else entirely unexpected?
I think we're gonna get two. Erdrick kinda seems inevitable, so he'd be the first one. The second is either a smaller first party character or a Microsoft rep.

May as well be bold and make my other predictions. We'll see Bandana Dee in November and Leon S. Kennedy in February.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think we're gonna get two. Erdrick kinda seems inevitable, so he'd be the first one. The second is either a smaller first party character or a Microsoft rep.

May as well be bold and make my other predictions. We'll see Bandana Dee in November and Leon S. Kennedy in February.
Is Rhythm Paradise a smaller first party? I'm aware it currently seems like a new Switch game isn't planned as per Tsunku's tweets.

D

Deleted member

I keep seeing variations of "Microsoft won't put Banjo in because it's a dead franchise and they'll want to promote something like Minecraft."

What promotion does Minecraft need at this point? It's the best selling game of all time, and I doubt Steve being in Smash will sell many copies of Minecraft.

Obviously Banjo hasn't had a new game released since 2008, but Microsoft also seems to be moving more into a games as service model. So announcing XBL and Game Pass for Switch, with all these Rare games from people's childhoods available for the first time on a Nintendo system is 20 years is a selling point. Particularly when you look at the wave of 90s nostalgia that is going on at the moment, and the people who played Banjo-Kazooie will be heading into their 30s now and actually have disposable income.

I'm unsure which of Steve or Banjo I'd say was more likely to make it into Smash if either of them do. But I don't think it's as bad as a business decision as many people do if that pick is Banjo.
I would say it would be the opposite as Steve would advertise Smash :b

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Is Rhythm Paradise a smaller first party? I'm aware it currently seems like a new Switch game isn't planned as per Tsunku's tweets.
I could see either the Chorus Kids or another Rhythm Heaven character as a possibility. There's enough moveset potential to justify a character, despite the series' rocky future.

D

Deleted member

I keep seeing variations of "Microsoft won't put Banjo in because it's a dead franchise and they'll want to promote something like Minecraft."

What promotion does Minecraft need at this point? It's the best selling game of all time, and I doubt Steve being in Smash will sell many copies of Minecraft.
Minecraft is ****ing huge yes, but that doesn't mean Nintendo wouldn't approach Microsoft and Mojang to get Steve in Smash. I'm not even a Steve fan, but he's guaranteed to sell like hotcakes and get more people to buy Smash. If Microsoft and Mojang are willing to play ball and not ask a lot out of Nintendo, why would they not go for a character that could end up outselling every other Fighter Pack?

Steve is probably the most predictable choice of the entire speculation scene. So many people know who he is and how Minecraft is the 2nd highest grossing game of all time behind Tetris apparently. Perhaps he's too predictable for me to get behind since there's so many reasons for Minecraft content in Smash that outweigh the reasons against it.

I'm expecting 2 reveals. The 1st character to reveal would have to be Erdrick with a good amount of stuff to say about him. However, as much as I'd like to see Banjo get revealed and thought it would happen, I'm going to say the 2nd reveal isn't a Microsoft character. Whoever's in it is something I won't know until it happens, but I'd be pretty excited for that reveal if it isn't as predictable as a Microsoft rep currently is (not saying that I'd be disappointed in seeing Banjo or Steve but I want to see something unexpected).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm expecting that we'll just get Erdrick, but I'm hoping that we get Erdrick and Banjo.

If we get a Microsoft character, it seems like it would make the most sense to reveal it at E3, and Banjo would fulfill requests that fans have been making for decades. I don't know how likely it is that we'll get a Microsoft character, though, and between Banjo, Steve, and Master Chief, it's a tough call for who we'd get if we did.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

Obviously Banjo hasn't had a new game released since 2008, but Microsoft also seems to be moving more into a games as service model. So announcing XBL and Game Pass for Switch, with all these Rare games from people's childhoods available for the first time on a Nintendo system is 20 years is a selling point. Particularly when you look at the wave of 90s nostalgia that is going on at the moment, and the people who played Banjo-Kazooie will be heading into their 30s now and actually have disposable income.

I'm unsure which of Steve or Banjo I'd say was more likely to make it into Smash if either of them do. But I don't think it's as bad as a business decision as many people do if that pick is Banjo.
Let me throw out a comparison for this one.

Why would Marvel create shows and games based on the MCU? Pretty much all Marvel content is entirely based on the movies and promoting them even though the movies are the reason everyone knows the characters and are hugely successful. The reason is that it keeps the success train going, everything works in a circle to promote each other. The movies promote the shows, which promote the games, which promote the movies. It keeps people invested in theses franchises and characters. Why should they use X-Men content when they have no “Disney” movies to promote, you are getting people invested in characters and franchises that won’t contribute to the bigger success pool.

If Steve is in Smash, the bigger Smash community will be introduced/ reintroduced to him so that they will go and spend money on Minecraft, especially now since it is a service. In general, Smash keeps the money maker on top in a similar fashion to what Marvel does for the MCU.

On the other side, Nintendo will be able to to gain money from Minecraft sales on Switch and Steve will bring in the huge audience of MC fans to check out Smash and potentially buy a Switch. Banjo doesn’t have this appeal. His fans are a very small group of 90s kids who had an N64, most of which already bought Smash. They’d be dipping into their already sold community for a franchise that really doesn’t have a wide audience other than 90s Nintendo fans. Anyone born 2000 or beyond, along with any PlayStation or Sega owners of the past (PlayStation was also the highest selling console at the time) will have no interest in the character. Steve is pretty much the gaming icon of the decade, he would lure more people into Smash and improve sales.

I think they passed Tetris recently actually.
Tetris being the highest selling was always a stretch seeing as most include all Tetris titles even though many are different development staffs, companies, and are mechanically different. Minecraft got snubbed of that title.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Let me throw out a comparison for this one.

Why would Marvel create shows and games based on the MCU? Pretty much all Marvel content is entirely based on the movies and promoting them even though the movies are the reason everyone knows the characters and are hugely successful. The reason is that it keeps the success train going, everything works in a circle to promote each other. The movies promote the shows, which promote the games, which promote the movies. It keeps people invested in theses franchises and characters. Why should they use X-Men content when they have no “Disney” movies to promote, you are getting people invested in characters and franchises that won’t contribute to the bigger success pool.

If Steve is in Smash, the bigger Smash community will be introduced/ reintroduced to him so that they will go and spend money on Minecraft, especially now since it is a service. In general, Smash keeps the money maker on top in a similar fashion to what Marvel does for the MCU.
Well, the main reason Marvel did that with the X-Men was because Ike Perlmutter is a big man baby, but I get your point. But I also think it's important to look at the comics side of things where Marvel were still publishing X-Men books and creating/reinventing characters which haven't been adapted into the MCU such as Mile Morales, Squirrel-Girl, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur and Ms. Marvel. Yes those things exist on a far lower level than the Avengers, but they are being cultivated and maintained because it's important to have a deep portfolio of IPs. And now because of this, Miles Morales has starred in an Oscar winning movie.

The main mother ship must be maintained, but it's still important to know and realise what audiences exist where.

So basically what I'm saying is, I really hope they announce Banjo-Threeie (Fourie?) at E3. Give me that depth of IP Microsoft.

On the other side, Nintendo will be able to to gain money from Minecraft sales on Switch and Steve will bring in the huge audience of MC fans to check out Smash and potentially buy a Switch. Banjo doesn’t have this appeal. His fans are a very small group of 90s kids who had an N64, most of which already bought Smash. They’d be dipping into their already sold community for a franchise that really doesn’t have a wide audience other than 90s Nintendo fans. Anyone born 2000 or beyond, along with any PlayStation or Sega owners of the past (PlayStation was also the highest selling console at the time) will have no interest in the character. Steve is pretty much the gaming icon of the decade, he would lure more people into Smash and improve sales.
Maybe it's because I'm the generation where an N64 was likely to be a person's first console. But Banjo-Kazooie being announced feels like the kind of announcement that would get people (including people I know) to buy a Switch and Smash Bros. Something which Steve doesn't feel like he would generate?

Probably because my relationship with Minecraft was entirely watching other people play it on Youtube or that a big reason for it's ubiquity is that it was available on literally everything. But the passion I've seen come from the Minecraft fanbase is "look at what cool thing we made this game do" rather than Steve as a character. And it's that kind of thing that makes me think you could have the same reaction by just having a content pack with a Creeper AT and a stage rather than taking one of four character spaces and giving them to the default skin in a game where the first thing a lot of people do is change that skin.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Almost every Minecraft fan recognizes Steve (plus his skin is named in the Bedrock Edition/Better Together/new main version, with Mojang calling him Steve) with some fans using him in artwork and in builds so I can certainly see Steve as a fighter with Alex (and maybe Herobrine) being some alts. attracting more Minecraft fans to Smash Bros., maybe even just any Minecraft content in general.

I think Banjo-Kazooie could still happen with the rumors surrounding them, though, including the Rare Replay on Switch rumor (maybe a Nintendo version of Rare Replay?).

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice

Banjo can get in for the very same reason we got Cloud: ridiculous fan demand and acting as a bridge between Nintendo and a Third Party that has interest in Smash. Banjo would sell well because Cloud sold well, and anyone saying otherwise needs to take a good, long hard look at Nintendo's statement on how they're pleased with Smash 4 DLC considering 6/7 of the characters there were fan-requests.

Last edited:

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice

So? While I agree that Steve in Smash Bros would be a much bigger get for Smash Bros than Minecraft, you could say the same about Pac-Man. Pac-Man is a character that needs no introduction and didn't need any promotion, yet he still was added to Smash. I don't think this hinders Steve's chances.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
E3 I’m expecting one character, as I think two is too optimistic. My guess is because everyone is talking about Erdrick, they’ll reveal it’s someone else entirely. I’m thinking Ryu Hayabusa or a capcom character, making everyone wonder where Banjo/Steve is.

Secret hope: we get Rash from Battletoads with Zitz and Pimple as echo fighters.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So? While I agree that Steve in Smash Bros would be a much bigger get for Smash Bros than Minecraft, you could say the same about Pac-Man. Pac-Man is a character that needs no introduction and didn't need any promotion, yet he still was added to Smash. I don't think this hinders Steve's chances.
I don't think it hinders his chances either, the only way that plays out as a hindrance is if Microsoft don't see the point in using Steve because there's no upside for them. Which is highly unlikely. I was just using it as an example of maybe they would want to promote a smaller franchise with stronger ties to Nintendo.

As for Pac-Man, he always felt kind of inevitable no? The last great icon of 1980s gaming not in the game? Plus Bandai Namco obviously got along with Nintendo, even letting Miyamoto make Pac-Man Vs. for the Gamecube. Pac-Man feels more like Tetris than Minecraft, in that, for the most part, the gameplay style that has survived to now is relatively unchanged, there's just so many different versions of it, none of which have sold like gangbusters in years. Whereas Minecraft is the same game on every platform and always sells.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Banjo can get in for the very same reason we got Cloud: ridiculous fan demand and acting as a bridge between Nintendo and a Third Party that has interest in Smash. Banjo would sell well because Cloud sold well, and anyone saying otherwise needs to take a good, long hard look at Nintendo's statement on how they're pleased with Smash 4 DLC considering 6/7 of the characters there were fan-requests.
Clouds on a whole different level though. You’re comparing Final Fantasy, one of the biggest historical land marks in gaming and especially RPGs to Banjo. FF7 was a major game that helped shape many future RPGs to come not to mention the PS1 line up. FF in general is also more well known to the public due to the historical impact of FF7, Kingdom Hearts, and the franchise in general. I could also say that unlike Banjo, Cloud tapped into the Sony PlayStation market as well as a more casual gaming market, neither of which Banjo can really claim at the moment.

Not to say Banjo’s bad, but there’s clearly a discrepancy in overall popularity and icon status when you compare him to the major players in Smash. FF7 and Banjo may have come out around the same time, but one has clearly left a bigger impact on gaming as a whole.

it's important to look at the comics side of things where Marvel were still publishing X-Men books and creating/reinventing characters which haven't been adapted into the MCU such as Mile Morales, Squirrel-Girl, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur and Ms. Marvel. Yes those things exist on a far lower level than the Avengers, but they are being cultivated and maintained because it's important to have a deep portfolio of IPs. And now because of this, Miles Morales has starred in an Oscar winning movie.
To be fair, Marvel was killing off tons of the X-Men and ended the Fantastic Four up until recently as they just got the rights back. As for the new characters, they will be in the movies as the comics are used like DC’s animated movies. They’re a testing ground for future movie ideas and characters. It also still ties in as Miles, Mrs. Marvel, and Captain Marvel have all prominently featured in the games and tv shows as they are transitioning into movies. (Captain Marvel, Mrs Marvel confirmed to appear, and Miles being hinted at in Homecoming)

Marvel knew Robert and Chris’s contracts would expire, so comics are jump starting the future MCU titles to keep the main stays alive in some form.

Maybe it's because I'm the generation where an N64 was likely to be a person's first console. But Banjo-Kazooie being announced feels like the kind of announcement that would get people (including people I know) to buy a Switch and Smash Bros. Something which Steve doesn't feel like he would generate?

Probably because my relationship with Minecraft was entirely watching other people play it on Youtube or that a big reason for it's ubiquity is that it was available on literally everything. But the passion I've seen come from the Minecraft fanbase is "look at what cool thing we made this game do" rather than Steve as a character. And it's that kind of thing that makes me think you could have the same reaction by just having a content pack with a Creeper AT and a stage rather than taking one of four character spaces and giving them to the default skin in a game where the first thing a lot of people do is change that skin.
Ehh... I can’t agree. Minecraft is huge and while creation is a big part of that, that doesn’t mean the character hasn’t caught on. In some ways you can say the gameplay is the main reason we like a ton of characters as Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu have little to no personality or appeal outside of their from this game. The idea that MC mechanics can be brought to Smash will intrigue many and major Minecraft content will really set the internet a blaze. MC has only been rising in popularity again, so I could totally see a surge in which many promote Smash on YouTube due to MC’s involvement.

Also Steve is a big character. There are plenty of videos to prove that as kids have dressed up and done various “shows” as Steve, not to mention the tons of fan stories and animations about him. Steve and Minecraft are more interlinked in popularity than people realize.

Here’s a video to prove it, just ignore the cringe...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
E3 I’m expecting one character, as I think two is too optimistic. My guess is because everyone is talking about Erdrick, they’ll reveal it’s someone else entirely. I’m thinking Ryu Hayabusa or a capcom character, making everyone wonder where Banjo/Steve is.

Secret hope: we get Rash from Battletoads with Zitz and Pimple as echo fighters.
I agree with all of this. I do think we could be getting Ryu Hayabusa to mess with us all.

And I would love having the Battletoads in the game. I don’t know if two echo fighters would be ideal, I mean I don’t think it’s part of the deal... however, what if we got a Shulk / Pokémon Trainer situation where it’s a 3-character in one deal where they play exactly alike, but their stats are different.

Rash: Speedy and combo heavy.
Zits: Strong with great air mobility.
Pimple: Heavy, slow, but killer throws.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Only reason I'm expecting two reveals at E3 is because of the fact that Erdrick/"Brave" and Joker have been in development at the same time, just based off of the character data leftover from recent patches. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Nintendo pull an "Available Today!" with Erdrick and then tease a second character to get people even more excited for the future.

E3 is a very good time to reveal characters, everyone (even non-nintendo/more casual fans') eyes are on it. Even if the third character is quite a ways off, I could see Nintendo wanting to take advantage of that spotlight, very similarly to what they did with Joker. If it's a Microsoft character like a lot of people are guessing, then it makes even more sense.

For fun, my prediction is Erdrick and Banjo (I think Steve is very possible and maybe even more likely but with the Rare Replay rumors and how Steve largely comes from Hitagi and what seems like no one else, I'm gonna say Banjo.), with the final two characters revealed later in the year being Solaire (Dark Souls) and Leon (Resident Evil).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I could see either the Chorus Kids or another Rhythm Heaven character as a possibility. There's enough moveset potential to justify a character, despite the series' rocky future.
I think the only way we'll get a Rhythm Heaven character is if they want to see if they should keep the series alive or not (kind of like what they did with Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Chibi Robo: Zip-Lash).

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think the only way we'll get a Rhythm Heaven character is if they want to see if they should keep the series alive or not (kind of like what they did with Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Chibi Robo: Zip-Lash).
Eh, it's already referred to a lot in Warioware Gold if that's anything.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
I saw the topic of Banjo/Steve promoting the Switch and I did the math for this some time ago and while it’s not perfect, here it is:
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie together sold 5.04 million copies.
Minecraft has sold 176 million copies.
Let’s assume that every copy sold is a single owner for one of these games. While it’s unlikely, there’s no real way of checking how many people have both BK games and how many people have more than 1 copy of Minecraft and I think those two assumptions about balance each other out.
If only 3% of Minecraft owners bought a Switch with Smash and one DLC character, that’s more than if all owners of a BK game bought that set. That’s also 1 927 200 000$ spent on Nintendo products.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Changing the topic of discussion a bit but why does everyone expect a Microsoft rep exactly? Sure we have the longstanding Banjo fanbase and Vergeban suggesting we'd get Minecraft content in the base roster, in particular the EndDragon as a boss, which hasn't panned out but I swear Microsoft discussion drowns out pretty much every other 3rd party except Square and Erdrick even though nothing concrete really points to any Microsoft being involved with Smash.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Do folks buy Minecraft because Steve is such a compelling character it is it because of its addictive gameplay. Not even the people who work for Mojang would say the former.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Changing the topic of discussion a bit but why does everyone expect a Microsoft rep exactly? Sure we have the longstanding Banjo fanbase and Vergeban suggesting we'd get Minecraft content in the base roster, in particular the EndDragon as a boss, which hasn't panned out but I swear Microsoft discussion drowns out pretty much every other 3rd party except Square and Erdrick even though nothing concrete really points to any Microsoft being involved with Smash.
It's mainly because Ninty and Microsoft have been very close buddies lately which makes people wonder why they would do that all of a sudden unless there is some kind of hidden motive behind it,

Other than that, nothing much besides mr. Vergeben insisting that there will be Minecraft content sooner or later (or at least he used to) and Banjo fans being at the edge of their seats. And then there are other rumour goers being at war with each other over these two franchises too.
Also Sakurai apparently being a Minecraft fanboy but I guess that's kind of hit or miss if Joker and Rex are anything to go by.

That's the TL:DR of it all I guess, probably missed some other nut shell details but yeah...

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Do folks buy Minecraft because Steve is such a compelling character it is it because of its addictive gameplay. Not even the people who work for Mojang would say the former.
This isn't really a sound argument to make. If you were trying to say that Steve is bland so he will be terrible representation of Minecraft then you couldn't be wronger. People like Minecraft so as a result they want it to get represented in Smash via it's avatar character Steve. And we already have tons of avatar characters and non-existent characters in Smash. Robin, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, and Game and Watch come to mind.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
This isn't really a sound argument to make. If you were trying to say that Steve is bland so he will be terrible representation of Minecraft then you couldn't be wronger. People like Minecraft so as a result they want it to get represented in Smash via it's avatar character Steve. And we already have tons of avatar characters and non-existent characters in Smash. Robin, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, and Game and Watch come to mind.
I think you misunderstood. People state Steve is inevitable because look at how much Minecraft sells, I’d say that has more to do with the actual game, than Steve the character. My evidence the game’s community manager.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think two DLC character announcements at E3 since I think there was a mention that DLC 2 and 3 are being worked on. I don't think either one of the two would be Erdrick though.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Two.
Banjo as the second DLC launching at E3
Thrid is the Square rep. Erdrick/Luminary or Sephiroth
Launches September

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think you misunderstood. People state Steve is inevitable because look at how much Minecraft sells, I’d say that has more to do with the actual game, than Steve the character. My evidence the game’s community manager.
I don't think I've seen anyone who claims Steve is a compelling character. He is an avatar character who is used by the player to explore the world of Minecraft. When people point to Steve in Smash context it's because he is the most viable Minecraft representation for Smash right now.

So what do you guys think? One DLC character announcement or two? What's the final verdict at E3?
My guess is two characters. One to reveal and release at the end of June, and one to hype up until future gameplay information comes out.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think two DLC character announcements at E3 since I think there was a mention that DLC 2 and 3 are being worked on. I don't think either one of the two would be Erdrick though.
Huh, why do you think that if I may ask out of curiosity?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Probably a combination of addictive gameplay, there being a ton of let's plays on it (Achievement Hunter comes to mind) and the PC version having huge mod support. Then again, I don't think my computer could handle modded Minecraft and I've only really played Terraria and Starbound (mostly the Frackin Universe addon for it, I kinda stopped playing that one because the game is so poorly optimized that I'll need a new computer to play the damn thing properly; it doesn't help that updates have been really slow)

I think the difference is that all those avatar and non-existent characters are Nintendo characters

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There's more than one community manager, and she's not the only employee who's said their opinion on Steve in Smash; a Switch version dev liked the idea of him or a Creeper in Smash.

Also, no one buys Animal Crossing for the villager they play as, no one buys a Mario game just for his simple personality. People like Steve because they see him as the face/a face to the game and like his look, and may even associate some personality with him based on the surrounding world and whatever they want. If Minecraft had a fighter in Smash then Steve could represent it very well.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think the difference is that all those avatar and non-existent characters are Nintendo characters
And?
If Nintendo and Sakurai clearly view these characters as eligible to the roster then why would they restrict it to third parties?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm thinking we'll get one character shown off. But I'm hoping for two. There's still other game to look at anyway.

I think the two DLCs would be like Joker's case where nobody including leakers would expect.
Yo let's go Vectorman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom