• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man that papagenos guy really isn't taking it well. I get it, Byleth was mid. But its not the end of the world, and how can anyone complain when they managed to get Banjo Kazooie in despite being own by Microsoft?

More importantly, we still have Terry Bogard, the factually best character in the Fighter's Pass right before. Does that not count for anything?

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I will say this. I feel that if Dante's voice actor hadn't hyped up the day the direct was going to be on, Byleth would have been hated but it would have been less.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I will say this. I feel that if Dante's voice actor hadn't hyped up the day the direct was going to be on, Byleth would have been hated but it would have been less.
He likely did that because DMC3's Switch version added On-the-Fly Style Changing on the same day. Something that DMC4 and DMC5 only had until then.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Nobody

Absolutely nobody

I can assure you, not a single soul

Papa "I can't complain after Banjo" genos:
View attachment 258675View attachment 258676
I'm in his discord. There's about 10 more of these. I tried to say that posting crap like this, even if he is just joking, after the reaction video he put up that posting stuff like this is just going to make people even more rabid over characters they don't like getting into Smash and was met with "Why won't you let Papa have an opinion!!!!!!" So I'm just not gonna bother posting there anymore. Surprisingly, that wasn't even the 2nd dumbest thing that went down in the discord recently.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but the fact we had someone from DMC say watch out for the 16th should have been a dead giveaway that Dante wasn't getting in. That's a pretty clear and obvious break of an NDA, but for some reason people believed it.

Man that papagenos guy really isn't taking it well. I get it, Byleth was mid. But its not the end of the world, and how can anyone complain when they managed to get Banjo Kazooie in despite being own by Microsoft?

More importantly, we still have Terry Bogard, the factually best character in the Fighter's Pass right before. Does that not count for anything?
That's an odd way to spell Joker

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
This reminds me. Didn't some people get some early copies of Smash for the 3DS and stream it way earlier? I remember watching that stream for QUITE a long time.
The Japanese release for Smash 3DS was mid September, those are where those streams came from as they were streamed by people who imported it and why they never got taken down.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
People are acting like he knew a Smash presentation would happen that day. He very likely didn't and it was all a coincidence.
Yeah, I instantly knew that Dante wouldn't be in Smash due to this. However. I did know that people would latch onto this and was like "Who ever is the 5th fighter is going to be hated If it's not Dante."

And low and behold, I was right.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Nobody

Absolutely nobody

Dear god that is just sad, Byleth is only 1 out of 5 characters for FP1 and 1 out of 11 for both fighter passes and 1 out of 12 if you count PP. I enjoyed his content, but jesus he should of realize that not all characters are gonna appeal to you and that at some point we were gonna get at least 1 first party fighter.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now that we know were probably getting more Indie mii fighter costumes I hope we get Hatkid as one with "your contract has expired" as the music track she comes with

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That and the whole "DMC news is on the 16th, just like the character reveal for Smash. Dante is coming for certain I bet my dog on it!" I was guilty of acting the same way sometime back that's why although I'd be glad if it was true, I didn't really get my hopes up.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I just can't fathom why people would still be complain especially after we get fan favorites like:ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie:along with every character in pass installments being back in the same game.

That should honestly be enough to satisfy them. What more could they ask for?

D

Deleted member

Now that we know were probably getting more Indie mii fighter costumes I hope we get Hatkid as one with "your contract has expired" as the music track she comes with
I really really really wanna see a Shantae mii costume.

with 2 spirits in the game I wanna at least see her appear one more time

I was thinking of a swordfighter based on pirates curse

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I really really really wanna see a Shantae mii costume.

with 2 spirits in the game I wanna at least see her appear one more time

I was thinking of a swordfighter based on pirates curse
That works too, don't know which song would work though.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Check if this is real and not edited to make it look real

https://mobile.twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1186504943877967872

Because this person also said crash is coming soon
You missed the bus, dude.
I'm skeptical of this guy considering that there is no tweets beyond his predictions.
So two popular theories for Byleth are
Last-minute addition because something went wrong...
Were always meant to be in the base game

And truth be told, both are just hilarious
The only way the top theory could make sense is if it occurred shortly after Terry was revealed and Banjo & Kazooie's release.
Somehow I don't think that actually happened.
If Byleth was not originally intended to be FP 5 then it being a last minute decision isn't feasible. At Best, Byleth would have had to be expedited earlier in 2019 either before E3 or around the time of E3. Sabi's Source knew of Terry and Byleth for quite a while before the September Direct So it would have been far less last minute and more of a change in plans early in the Pass's life.
Wait a minute; when did Sabi's source confirm he knew the character was Byleth?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

See, if he didn't like most of the characters, I'd merely shrug it off as being childish but no, during his 40 minute reaction rant, he says "I got Banjo, I don't care and I can't complain" multiple times while complaining every 5 seconds
Dante's VA never hyped up anything, V's actor made people jump the gun and DMCV's producer specifically said the 16th would involve 3's Switch port, Langdon's an asshole but he's in no way responsible for people being disappointed

D

Deleted member

Nobody

Absolutely nobody

View attachment 258675View attachment 258676
I can't believe PapaGenos would do something like this I am literally shaking and crying and pissing and ****ting right now this can't be happening.

For real though it's quite a shame for him to be acting this way while you may have your differing opinions on the guy I always looked up to him and I thought he was a cool and chill guy though I guess that initial reaction was wrong. It's really quite sad.

Krankees

Smash Ace
After getting another one almost two months from the last one, I'm scared of when another spirit board will show up and who it will be.

With any luck it'll be spelled Phoenix Wright by next December
Don't get my hopes up like that. I'm still worrying about the Dante vs Phoenix situation.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I have my sources too guys. I’d like to tell you who is Fighter 6, but if I do my source will get in trouble. So after the character is revealed I’ll let you know how I knew about him/her this whole time. Just wait until then.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After looking at a list of FE games again, I do think it's fair for people to think they should try spacing out FE characters a little better.
  • Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - :ultroy:
  • Fire Emblem - Nothing
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Nothing
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - :ultike:
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - :ultike:
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening - :ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom:
  • Fire Emblem: Fates - :ultcorrin:
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Byleth
Personally, I think a lot of criticism and bitterness could've been avoided if Corrin wasn't added. Roy returning in Smash 4 is when most of the "Too many FE characters" started, and Corrin was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know Sakurai was just trying to be nice to his team, but honestly, I think Corrin did more harm to FE's image than good. Not that Sakurai would've known, but Corrin ended up being an unpopular character from an unpopular FE game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I have my sources too guys. I’d like to tell you who is Fighter 6, but if I do my source will get in trouble. So after the character is revealed I’ll let you know how I knew about him/her this whole time. Just wait until then.
Pfft, that's nothing, check THIS leaker out

D

Deleted member

Right now, I'm just hoping a character I want more than Byleth comes sooner than later. I don't complain about why character x wasted a spot for a character I want but instead wallow in the thought that they may never be in Smash ever.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Good thing I said it was Terry Bogard a.k.a The Legendary Hungry Wolf. A.k.a The best character of the Fighter's Pass Season 1.
No wrong opinions here king
Holy ****, I was baiting and being overdramatic earlier. I didn't think I'd ACTUALLY be right about PapaGenos. What's happening?
The "haha I'm chill" clickbaiter decided to drop the act about being chill, showing his true, bitter colours

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I just can't fathom why people would still be complain especially after we get fan favorites like:ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie:along with every character in pass installments being back in the same game.

To be fair not everyone wants:ultkrool::ultridley:or:ultbanjokazooie:. Some people want other characters , and as long as they are respectful of other people's characters, and opinions I don't see what's wrong with preferring other characters than those three or others.

For example I like Banjo Kazooie, not enough to be my main, but enough to play them occasionally. As for King K, and Ridley, I had no interest in them at all, but I was glad for people to get their favorite characters.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
After looking at a list of FE games again, I do think it's fair for people to think they should try spacing out FE characters a little better.
  • Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - :ultroy:
  • Fire Emblem - Nothing
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Nothing
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - :ultike:
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - :ultike:
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening - :ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom:
  • Fire Emblem: Fates - :ultcorrin:
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Byleth
Personally, I think a lot of criticism and bitterness could've been avoided if Corrin wasn't added. Roy returning in Smash 4 is when most of the "Too many FE characters" started, and Corrin was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know Sakurai was just trying to be nice to his team, but honestly, I think Corrin did more harm to FE's image than good. Not that Sakurai would've known, but Corrin ended up being an unpopular character from an unpopular FE game.
I'll agree that the treatment FE got in Smash 4 is what plagues the current state of the Smash Fanbase's dislike of FE.

FE went from 2 Reps in Melee, to 2 Reps in Brawl to triple that in Wii U up to 6 and now 8 with Ultimate. It's just a case of Too much too fast.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace

Do you think that those groups of fans are exclusively the ones complaining? Really?

D

Deleted member

The "haha I'm chill" clickbaiter decided to drop the act about being chill, showing his true, bitter colours
Okay I'm curious. Is LaxChris of all people more chill about Byleth being in Smash than PapaGenos is?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay, forgive me one of these posts. Just one.

Here's my dream Vol. 2. Yes, it's incredibly self-indulgent. No, I don't think this would be a people-pleaser. But damn it, it would please me. :crying:

dream-pass-2.png

Out of all of these, Travis Touchdown is the only one I'm truly, truly hoping I get in this upcoming pass. I know the others don't really have the most likelihood whether its due to competition (Dante and Monster Hunter both could easily get in over Phoenix, Square has plenty of reps including a second FF7 rep that could take out 2B, Kazuma Kiryu is a character that has really gotten super popular around the world and is one of Sega's flagship characters) or too self-indulgent (I could only see Stylist getting in if the 2020 Switch Style Savvy game rumors are true and even then she's super unlikely) but ah well. This would make me super happy, see some of my favorite games and series get in, or just add some interesting new worlds (tm) to Smash!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Right now, I'm just hoping a character I want more than Byleth comes sooner than later. I don't complain about why character x wasted a spot for a character I want but instead wallow in the thought that they may never be in Smash ever.
Eh, getting one decent character in the pass is usually enough for me, while essentially getting the others at a discount. Terry was that character and I kind of like Banjo-Kazooie and Hero, albeit they are kind of weird to me. Especially Hero. Whenever I use him, they refuse to give me Magic Burst and all I wanted to do is pretend I'm Vegeta.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Am I the only one who doesn't really care what Papagenos thinks? Like, positive or negative. I mean, isn't that how people always defend Papagenos anyway? He's just a speculator who makes videos? A speculator not liking Byleth's inclusion doesn't seem remarkable to me.

Droodle

Smash Lord
So does the newcomer speculation thread think we'll get any promotions at all?

I personally don't, and the biggest thing supporting that is Lloyd or a Tales rep in general. It did not get any content in Smash Ultimate, not even cameos like Gil and Heihachi. This led many people to assume that Tales would be in the FP, obviously that was not the case; but Lloyd/Tales rep's chances are looking pretty good now with FP 2 as well as bits and pieces of additional evidence such as the trademarked logos and Namco trying to push the series a bit more.

If Tales does end up being in the second fighter's pass; then Sakurai made the choice to omit all Tales of content on purpose back in base game. I think Lloyd/Tales getting in kills most of the chance for someone like Geno or Rex/Waluigi/Isaac; who Sakurai decided to represent them in the base game (but not as fighters).

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So does the newcomer speculation thread think we'll get any promotions at all?

I personally don't, and the biggest thing supporting that is Lloyd or a Tales rep in general. It did not get any content in Smash Ultimate, not even cameos like Gil and Heihachi. This led many people to assume that Tales would be in the FP, obviously that was not the case; but Lloyd/Tales rep's chances are looking pretty good now with FP 2 as well as bits and pieces of additional evidence such as the trademarked logos and Namco trying to push the series a bit more.

If Tales does end up being in the second fighter's pass; then Sakurai made the choice to omit all Tales of content on purpose back in base game. I think Lloyd/Tales getting in kills most of the chance for someone like Geno or Rex/Waluigi/Isaac; who Sakurai decided to represent them in the base game (but not as fighters).
Jon said we probably will so I think we probably will.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think one thing to keep in mind is the fact that while some folks might absolutely detest Byleth now, giving them a shot after they release might change some minds.

I don’t know. Plenty of folks I know who haven’t played Three Houses think the gameplay looks cool and interesting.

Either way, I’m just excited for the music, stage...more excited for Byleth than I thought I would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom