• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Sakurai says "it might take some time for the 6th fighter to be revealed".
Guessing it will be an E3 reveal then.

Luigi-Calibur

Smash Rookie
Byleth was so bad to you that they invalidated Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry? That's a bit harsh my dude
Ive said FP5, ive never buy anything blindly, i choose what i want, and discarded hero for his homophobic composser, banjo and terry was the best by far, and joker was ok because persona 3 tracks, but im not gonna spend my money in more fire emblem characters

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
A Three Houses rep was my third most wanted character in general and my actual most wanted for a "plausible" choice.

I'm shaking lol

blackghost

Smash Champion
...Uh, what? Bayonetta is a Sega character. She's 100% 3rd party. Nintendo can support her as much they want, but they don't own the character or series.

The rights to distribute(or an exclusive console game) is a completely different thing. It doesn't give them ownership of the character, it just gives them control of the game in question.
2/3 games have rights exclusive to nintendo, and 2/3 games are 100 percent funded by nintendo. thats not a third party character. its a unique situation for sure but not a third party. as far as i know nintnedo has exclusive rights to the bayo 2 design and character and any design changes in 3.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
The 11th fighter will be revealed and people will still keep pushing the idea that Cacomallow is real. SMH

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm gonna hold that L for saying it wouldn't be Byleth if we got 3H in the game and that all 3 ended up being incorporated somehow but I'm holding that L with grace. Wonder how the Nintendo purists feel, they finally got another first party! Yay them!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think they should have released him as the third or fourth character of the FP.
Maybe ending with banjo
That would've been impossible. Byleth wasn't being developed simultaneously with Banjo.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So my reactions to this in a simple format. While I'm all for Edelgard far more I'm ok with Byleth. So I'm in the middle. I'm somewhat satisfied.

+My God that Three Houses Main Theme remix. It's glorious.
+One of my wanted stages is in!
+Byleth looks fun to play. And the official artwork looks awesome.
+Trailer was entertaining.
+Cuphead gets the Sans treatment.
+Six more characters!

-So about six months to a year after the world ends for all them to be released....
-Assassins Creed Mii Costume and not even Ezio with a Venice Rooftops remix.
-Nothing new for the update.

I'm ok with it. I'd be tempted to go onto somewhere like GameFaqs or Reddit but I think the salinity of some people would be worse than the Dead Sea. Just try the character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think they should have released him as the third or fourth character of the FP.
Maybe ending with banjo
Byleth is going to be more exciting than Banjo to many people who haven't played Banjo's games but have played FE3H. For example, Banjo being added did nothing for me personally, while I'm pretty excited to try Byleth (even if I'd rather have had Edelgard).

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I can’t be the only one who thought it was going to be really crazy when Sakurai said “even Nintendo employees will be surprised by this one.” I was expecting something wild like Master Chief after that line. Seems like kind of a weird thing to say before revealing a pretty safe character.
I think the surprise could be because there we're so many characters already from Fire Emblem. Thankfully, Byleth isn't a sword-user only, The Monastery is really cool and we've have Cuphead in Smash (I wonder why he didn't come with Banjo)

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Six characters spread among two years means this is going to be a very slow speculation cycle. Well, at least I'm glad there wasn't a Mii costume of Steve, Heihachi, and Monster Hunter shown.

Now that the fighters pass is finally over, it's Waluigi time now.

D

Deleted member

Also the Geno thread is mighty toxic right now.

I don't get why people are so salty Sakurai made Byleth incredibly unique, and its clear that the development team enjoyed making those characters.
Pretty sure this thread still covers that, dude.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
This fanbase can be absurdly childish, unfortunately. The simple fact is that FE3H is a flagship game for the Switch in one of Nintendo's most popular series and absolutely deserves a rep.
I mean Zelda is a flagship title, even bigger than FE, but it’s not getting good representation compared to FE.

Let’s be real here, Byleth got in because Sakurai is a huge fan of the series not because it’s “flagship” level or anything like that lol.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm just kinda worried. Sakurai didn't bother to namedrop Advance Wars by name and instead was all like "turn based games that featured tanks & aircraft". Is he like snubbing the series or did he just not want to say the franchise's name?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, at least my wish came true. We ARE getting first-parties.

That being said, I'm gonna be steamed if XC2, Astral Chain, and a Gen 8 Pokemon got passed over in favor of another FE character. We have six more characters though, so I'll be optimistic.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I lost since Byleth wasn't any of my predicted characters. True to my word, here's my essay on Why Leaker Culture is Good. I spent all night working on it so please enjoy.
Leaker culture is good because I like being told what to think and don't like having to think for myself.
Leaker culture is good because I like being told what to think and don't like having to think for myself.
If there's one important takeaway from today, it's that all leakers, "speculators," and theorists were blown the **** out on this blessed day.

May we enter a new era of speculation not plagued by such egomaniacs and pests.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm just kinda worried. Sakurai didn't bother to namedrop Advance Wars by name and instead was all like "turn based games that featured tanks & aircraft". Is he like snubbing the series or did he just not want to say the franchise's name?
Not like the mentioned any other series by name. Don't think so hard.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I am one of those people, and I gladly took the L.

We get that you want to stroke your ego as much as possible, but stooping down to that level is not the way to go.
That’s good for you, but when you have a ton of people in a thread ridiculing anyone with a different idea because it’s not the biggest opinion, then I have a right to stroke my ego when half of this thread was stroking theirs during that time acting like they knew ****.

cant we just all finally agree, we as the fans, do not know anything that Sakurai is going to do and he’s unpredictable?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
2/3 games have rights exclusive to nintendo, and 2/3 games are 100 percent funded by nintendo. thats not a third party character. its a unique situation for sure but not a third party. as far as i know nintnedo has exclusive rights to the bayo 2 design and character and any design changes in 3.
They don't actually own the character itself. That's only related to specific uses of the character.

Sega still fully owns the literal character and series itself.

They can fund it till the end of time, but Sega still owns the Bayonetta character and series.

Distribution and usage in special situations are a different story from literal ownership. She's 3rd party through and through. This is also why it was so easy to get her into Smash, since Nintendo outright supports her.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh teh irony.. i really was expecting FE3h rep to be teh first character post pass, not fp5 but geee...

I don't understand too much they could have switched terry and byleth reveals withouth much work to avoid corrin flak...

Is ironical also that byleth have bad grapples considering teh unit have have an affinity with brawl weapons... the good thing about the relics is that at least you can mod teh 3 houses lords into byleth and not feel too out of character, but i would p´referred gambits i guess as teh gimmick.. still, extremely happy with garreg mach umu!

Last edited:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
This is terrible

Why not just rename the game Fire Emblem Smash and get rid of all other characters? Anime sword players galore...

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I'm just copying what i said in the Elma-Thread:

Am i mad? No, absolutely not. Quiet the opposite. Byleth looks cool and i love the reference to the "to many Swordfighters". I laughed.

However what im gonna do is stay away from Smashboards for the next few weeks. I don't need to look into the other discussions to know
how some people feel about this.

Besides: We now have confirmation for 6 new fighters.

Im looking forward to it.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm gonna hold that L for saying it wouldn't be Byleth if we got 3H in the game and that all 3 ended up being incorporated somehow but I'm holding that L with grace. Wonder how the Nintendo purists feel, they finally got another first party! Yay them!
Feelin' pretty good NGL.

Hopin' for more of that good biz in FP2.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
You know what people have a right to be upset about this. It's yet another Fire Emblem rep. Yes they play different but I'm sorry but FE doesn't need yet another rep in this series. I mean I love Pokemon but if yet another pokemon character got in I would be saying the exact same things. I mean does every new game in the fire emblem series need a rep in smash? That is what I want to know is there a point where even FE fans would go "ok that is enough"? Call me salty all you want but I would have rather had Doom Guy and had to apologize to the whole thread for being wrong than this.

At least the Mii costumes and second pass DLC was cool.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel bad for Xenoblade fans cause there really was no reason to Exclude Rex for this.
I have a feeling we've seen the last of "Sakurai's Xenoblade bias" claims for a while.

It goes on the pile with Kirby, Kid Icarus, Star Fox and Zelda.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Oh!! They also realeased the trailer for the next Fire Emblem Three Houses DLC, with a new house after the presentation!! I kind of get the not-so positive feedback for Corrin in Smash 4, but Three Houses totally deserved the representation and if it weren't in this game, it would have gotten skipped for a newer FE character next smash.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Too bad Lesley didn't stick it out to see a female character actually make it in the pass.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
This is terrible

Why not just rename the game Fire Emblem Smash and get rid of all other characters? Anime sword players galore...
Yes because 8 characters out of the 82 characters clearly means Fire Emblem is taking over

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Well, at least my wish came true. We ARE getting first-parties.

That being said, I'm gonna be steamed if XC2, Astral Chain, and a Gen 8 Pokemon got passed over in favor of another FE character. We have six more characters though, so I'll be optimistic.
Just because we got our usual FE rep, doesn’t magically make them likely.

If anything, this proved anymore first parties to be even more unlikely. This should’ve proved without a shadow of a doubt that Spirits deconfirm.

Good luck trying to scrape for first parties that aren’t Spirits.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not like the mentioned any other series by name. Don't think so hard.
Yeah well i'm glad he actually bothered to reference this series but the way he kinda worded it almost sounded like he wanted to put it down kinda. Maybe i'm just paranoid lol.

Was sweating bullets after that because I thought Andy was going to be sent to Mii Costume hell. Alas, he not only lives another day but 1st parties are also living.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
New main?

New main.

Status