• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm DLC 5. Sorry to disappoint everyone
Deep down, we're all DLC 5.

Sakurai hasn't kidnapped us yet and put our bodies into stasis, trapping us in Smash Bros.

That's why there is no news about DLC 5.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Spam/image-only post
The real Fighter 5 was the friendships we made along the journey.

Which is none. Fighter 5 still doesn't exist.
Maybe the real FP5 was the friends we made along the way. Would be cool, weird how they chose to represent One Piece with that instead of Luffy

Attachments

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The impatience people have for Fighter #5 just keeps getting funnier. I swear, you people would have ****ing died in the Brawl and Smash 4 speculation cycles two months of no information is enough to drive you this crazy lol.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The impatience people have for Fighter #5 just keeps getting funnier. I swear, you people would have ****ing died in the Brawl and Smash 4 speculation cycles two months of no information is enough to drive you this crazy lol.
Agree.
It funny, did laugh.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wonder if were gonna get another duo reveal at E3 this year.

One of them if so I feel will be Crash who fits that criteria.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't start speculating FP5 to make friends along the way :mad:

Anyways, we still have a ****load of time to waste until the last DLC for the Fighter Pass drops, but do any of you believe the 1st DLC after FP5 will be revealed before or during Nintendo's E3 presentation?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Random thought:
I overall prefer characters who aren't fighters in their original games, or anyway character whose gameplay in their original games is not about fighting, not in a traditional way at least.

Some characters already have a chance to fight in their home series, and it's not that special to see them adapted to Smash. Other characters instead don't fight, or maybe they do fight but in an unusual way. Those characters can get a chance to become fighters in Smash, and that's their unique chance to do so. What's special in a newcomer when the stuff it does in Smash is the same stuff it does in the original game?

Another thing is that I usually prefer characters who are not (directly) playable in their home series rather than characters who are playable. This is not a strict rule or anything, but simply if I can already play as that character in other games, it's less special to be able to play as them in Smash. There are many cool and popular characters who are NPCs, final bosses, sidekicks and so on. I get that usually playable characters are more important to their franchises, but in some cases the secondary characters have more interesting skills or gimmicks than the protagonist.

I like when the moveset of the character is not based on the canon of the series they come from, but it's built around the overall gameplay of the game they come from. For me a character has to recreate the feel that you are playing the original game in the form of a fighting game; if the character comes from a game that's already about fighting, this is not much interesting, but when the character comes from a completely different genre, such as a puzzle game or a simulator, or other crazy stuff, then it would be way more interesting to see how the developers manage to make a fitting moveset for them. Villager is probably the best example of this, they summed up Animal Crossing in a moveset, and it was pretty good. I want to see more of that.
There are other characters who fit the bill, including Fox even.

I have absolutely no interest in clones/semiclones/echoes because they don't bring anything new to the table, they're based on another existing character and their moveset is just a rebalanced version of something that already exsists in the game. I care more of uniqueness than "coolness" or representation per se.
The only reason I would be interested in a clone is if it comes with a themed stage that's cool, example: I don't care of Shadow but if he comes with a Radical Highway stage then I'd like that.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, we still have a ****load of time to waste until the last DLC for the Fighter Pass drops, but do any of you believe the 1st DLC after FP5 will be revealed before or during Nintendo's E3 presentation?
I'm not sure about it, but most likely it'll be after FP5 in the same Direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Probably before. My guess is that we'll get CP5, then Sakurai will explain how post Pass will work and show the first fighter of that season (probably just a small teaser like Joker/Terry).

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
To be fair, Nintendo had and was releaseing other **** at the same time

Even the Wii U era

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even the Wii U era
Trust me. The Switch is doing way better at releasing new games during the wait for DLC than the Wii U was in 2015. The second half of 2019 alone had Three Houses, Link's Awakening, LM3, and SwSh. The Wii U had a few good games in 2015, but even when you look at everything that came out for the entire year, the most notable releases were Splatoon, Mario Maker, Treasure Tracker, and XCX.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Ah snap I'm reading through the thread and I missed the Saber discussion from yesterday.

In any case, there's a lot more to the character than her NSFW stuff especially especially when taking other works into consideration (Such as the light novel, Fate/Zero). I think she would work and I wouldn't mind, but I'm still in the camp of valuing AA more overall for Smash.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Trust me. The Switch is doing way better at releasing new games during the wait for DLC than the Wii U was in 2015. The second half of 2019 alone had Three Houses, Link's Awakening, LM3, and SwSh. The Wii U had a few good games in 2015, but even when you look at everything that came out for the entire year, the most notable releases were Splatoon, Mario Maker, Treasure Tracker, and XCX.
And out of those four, one has been ported to 3DS and Switch, two got direct sequels on Switch that basically replace the original, and the last. . . well, still waiting on that Switch port for that.

I don't really have a point I want to make with this, just wanted to make note of that.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ah snap I'm reading through the thread and I missed the Saber discussion from yesterday.

In any case, there's a lot more to the character than her NSFW stuff especially especially when taking other works into consideration (Such as the light novel, Fate/Zero). I think she would work and I wouldn't mind, but I'm still in the camp of valuing AA more overall for Smash.
Perhaps. One thing that I believe makes Phoenix and Layton more interesting is that they would theoretically make more use of visual novel/adventure mechanics than Saber - mechanics specific to AA and PL in each case, while Saber would have to work more based on her character than her game mechanics, methinks.

...I dunno if I'm making much sense, but I hope I was able to explain it properly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Even the Wii U era
2019 was easily the most stacked year I've ever seen for major Nintendo titles, Tokyo Mirage Sessions comes out in a few days, we just had a substantial Pokemon Direct that announced a proper Expansion Pass for Sword/Shield and a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team remake for March, and Animal Crossing New Horizons is also coming in March. Things seem pretty fine to me, especially with Indies, Ports, and other games to fill the gaps. I mean, it's perfectly fine to have no interest in a bunch of that stuff, but I don't think it's fair to say Nintendo "isn't releasing stuff" in comparison.

Again, the Wii U era ****ing blew on a regular basis news wise and even major releases like Star Fox Zero positively bombed in comparison to what we're seeing on Switch. The Wii era was a different beast all around of course, but still, we went well over a year between Brawl's reveal and learning much of anything about it.

It's just a dead period of a couple months. A little disappointing? Sure, I would have thought the overall more communicative Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't let something like this happen these days, but even with that in mind, it's just really not that bad. I mean, Mewtwo's reveal to Lucas' reveal was much worse than this all around and especially the E3 2015 Ryu, Roy, and Lucas to Cloud's November announcement even as just a frame of reference for DLC in Smash, and late 2015 was when the Wii U was already starting to wheeze out of existence.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
When it comes out, I'd strongly suggest looking into Devil May Cry 3 for the Switch. (or you could get the HD Collection for other consoles/PC if you have them, but from the sounds of it, the Switch is getting additional bonuses, and some of the possibilities are pretty exciting) That game (along with DMC4 and 5) played a big part in terms of why I'd want to see Dante in Smash Bros.
I personally would suggest DMC1 as well. While the game is a child of the circumstances, overall is a pretty good game. It has a different tone and it's basically the father of the genre.
Great soundtrack, even if it doesn't have the depth and the quality in terms of gameplay of DMC3, 4 and 5 the game still has a nice and cool combat. Story-wise the game it's important for the franchise and concept wise is a bit different from the other games, sometimes it feels really metroidvania if we speak about level design.

I think that DMC1 is a good starting point if someone's familiar with games from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. 5 is a really good starting point but if the newcomer cares about story and characters I don't really think it's a good idea to start the franchise with 5. For that reason I would suggest 1 or 3 :grin:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
DMC1 is a perfectly good game. I pretty much just call it "Resident Hack & Slash" because that's pretty much exactly what it is in every sense of the word. I mean, it's what it was originally going to be, so yeah.

I would just recommend looking up combat guides. There is some variance to the combat, the game just doesn't really tell you it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's funny because from announcement to now, this has been by far the most expedited cycle for Smash. Last time we regularly had to wait two+ months between base addition reveals, let alone DLC. And that was almost at the height of its pace.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The ironic thing is once everyone sees FP5, they'll be satisfied for all of 2 minutes before demanding to see post pass 1.

Approximately 5 minutes will then go by with no post pass 1 and then everyone will complain about being bored.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The ironic thing is once everyone sees FP5, they'll be satisfied for all of 2 minutes before demanding to see post pass 1.

Approximately 5 minutes will then go by with no post pass 1 and then everyone will complain about being bored.
Pretty what will happen is everyone will then begin speculating and debating who post-Pass DLC fighter 1 is.

After a few days or a week with the lack of weeks everything will go back to normal usual.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Repeat ad nauseum until the final DLC fighter is revealed and everyone ******* that "Smash ended on a disappointment" again, even if we literally did get Sora, Crash, and Master Chief as the last fighters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hey so Guys, About Dante...

6:32

Could be terrible wording, but.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom