• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Oh lordy, they even mention Xenogears spirits. Yeah it's ****ing fake, Squeenix are already hard enough to work when it's their popular well known IPs, they'd sooner die than do anything cool with an old IP like Gears.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Oh lordy, they even mention Xenogears spirits. Yeah it's ****ing fake, Squeenix are already hard enough to work when it's their popular well known IPs, they'd sooner die than do anything cool with an old IP like Gears.
Not exactly impossible but yeah it is a red flag. Xenogears is still supported today and had popular figurines released and a concert I believe.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not too familiar with Xenogear, are the character designs outright owned by someone who would need extra royalties? Cause the reason for FF is that Nomura needs royalties alongside Square's royalties for the IP and Uematsu's royalties for the music

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People are saying fighting game characters are boring due to being incredibly easy to translate to Smash as they actually fight
well how else are they gonna put em in the ****ing game

thats a stupid thing to whine about

osby

Smash Obsessed
People are saying fighting game characters are boring due to being incredibly easy to translate to Smash as they actually fight
Wanna bet that same people also complain about characters like Wii Fit Trainer or Villager?

Plank08

Smash Lord
We live in a world where a potted plant was deemed having enough of a fun and interesting moveset so the fact people still pretend moveset potential is anything more than a buzzword is honestly kinda funny. "My favourites have so much moveset potential, you can make like 50 characters just from my favourite's arsenal!" Is good and all but an enemy who bobs up and down while shooting a fire ball was deemed to have enough moveset potential too so that's not impressing anyone
That’s exactly why I feel Phoenix will get in over Dantedid I get his name right this time?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to "spin" anything. We just agree on the same fundamental point, but the way we extrapolate it differs. I already said that fighting game characters can be unique, but that uniqueness is limited. As an extreme example, you won't get Hero's menu mechanic from a fighting game character.
By your logic, if a Tekken character like Heihachi were to get into Smash, they would share the same general play-style and mechanics of Ryu, Ken, and Terry: auto-facing, complex directional inputs, different move properties depending on how long the button is held, and projectiles.

Of those four, Heihachi would only share the auto-facing mechanic. The others? Nowhere to be found in Tekken, a series where there's little to no projectiles, you chain button presses and simple tilts instead of directional inputs, and moves are sorted by height instead of power (instead of "Light/Medium/Heavy" punches and kicks, you have high punches, low kicks, etc.) Did I also mention that the aerial game in Tekken is almost nonexistent?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm not too familiar with Xenogear, are the character designs outright owned by someone who would need extra royalties? Cause the reason for FF is that Nomura needs royalties alongside Square's royalties for the IP and Uematsu's royalties for the music
It's owned by Square Enix. The artist who did the designs is a freelancer now, but SE in general are just huge pains to work with. They nixed any FF7 spirits in the base game and only allowed DQ Spirits because they get a % of all DLC sales for Hero.

Now, imagine licensing out Spirits from SE and paying the full price for their stuff... But it's not even a SE IP being added. Imagine paying the Pokemon company for Spirits for a Mario newcomer. You'd be paying through the nose for something that's not even going to be a Mii Costume, AND dividing up the Kosmos Fighter Pack between a third company instead of just Bamco and Nintendo (Monolith Soft have no claim over any of the work they did for Namco; Kosmos is NOT their character despite creating her in-house).

D

Deleted member

People will use any excuse they can to discredit characters they don't like.

It's one of the things I intensely dislike about the Smash fanbase. So much hate, bashing, and gatekeeping over any characters that aren't deemed worthy.

Endless defences for why their characters are great, but also endless offences for why characters they don't like aren't worthy. Extremely biased.

We've got a great game on our hands, but the community could be much better.
Its kinda silly when a lot of people argue about wanting variety and then just list characters that are extremely similar designwise. Moveset-wise the sky is the limit as pretty much you can always have interesting mechanics with each newcomer.
Not that I remember, plus at most 1 or 2 spirits would be chosen from the game. Can't imagine it being difficult to work with imo given Hero being relatively easy to get with 4 skins. Would be awesome but unless dude provides proof, its just a nice dream.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There's no reason to believe any random 4chan text leak anyways, unfortunately. Anyone can throw on a tripcode, & the fact that the OP didn't use one suggests that they're two different people, which is already extremely suspicious in and of itself.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
It's owned by Square Enix. The artist who did the designs is a freelancer now, but SE in general are just huge pains to work with. They nixed any FF7 spirits in the base game and only allowed DQ Spirits because they get a % of all DLC sales for Hero.

Now, imagine licensing out Spirits from SE and paying the full price for their stuff... But it's not even a SE IP being added. Imagine paying the Pokemon company for Spirits for a Mario newcomer. You'd be paying through the nose for something that's not even going to be a Mii Costume, AND dividing up the Kosmos Fighter Pack between a third company instead of just Bamco and Nintendo (Monolith Soft have no claim over any of the work they did for Namco; Kosmos is NOT their character despite creating her in-house).
Maybe it is like Terry presentation and he wants to acknowledge the legacy?

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I want to clarify something about this. If KOS-MOS is using her blade appearance from XB2 then her final smash will probably be rex using her to use x buster.
Can't see it being real, just because of the mention of Xenogears spirits. Also, it would feel weird if KOS-MOS was to "represent" Xenoblade instead of her debut series Xenosaga when we have Terry "representing" Fatal Fury over The King of Fighters.

The Final Smash that they mention did give me a cool idea for what I would want to see in her Final Smash though. Have her use X-Buster while chain-attacking with someone, but have it so that it could either be Shion, Fiora, or Rex partnering up with her, depending on what alternate costume she's wearing (ver. 1 for Shion, ver. 4 for Fiora, Xenoblade 2 outfit for Rex).

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Its kinda silly when a lot of people argue about wanting variety and then just list characters that are extremely similar designwise. Moveset-wise the sky is the limit as pretty much you can always have interesting mechanics with each newcomer.
Exactly this.

The smash devs can take any character that has zero history of fighting, and give them moves. Look at Peach and Rosalina.

I'm open to any newcomers. The more the better. Just wish others thought that way too instead of getting mad that another character got in over their favourite... I got introduced to so many new franchises because of Smash. I'm grateful for the variety.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Maybe it is like Terry presentation and he wants to acknowledge the legacy?
The leaker also says Kosmos is based more on XB2 than anything, right down to Rex and Pyra in her Final Smash.
its just that her entire moveset and appearance is derived from Xenoblade because that's where she is most known for. I believe she mainly fights with her big cannons.
Rex and Pyra will cameo in her final smash.
I'm sorry but that's a ****ty ****ing way to acknowledge any legacy. He didn't claim Joker was a Shin Megami Tensei rep and then showcase Persona content for 20 minutes, but we're meant to believe Kosmos from Xenosaga is just his way of getting Rex & Pyra in, while not acknowledging the actual -relevant- legacy of the character?

It's just... it paints a picture of Sakurai as being so XB2 obsessed he can't function. It's insane. If it's real I've lost all respect for the man.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Something worth noting; the poster didn't have a tripcode in their OP so the person posting with it later may be ****poster tagging on for laughs. So with that train of logic, the only thing rumored is Kosmos at TGA, Rex+Pyra in their Final Smash and another reveal.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The leaker also says Kosmos is based more on XB2 than anything, right down to Rex and Pyra in her Final Smash.

I'm sorry but that's a ****ty ****ing way to acknowledge any legacy. He didn't claim Joker was a Shin Megami Tensei rep and then showcase Persona content for 20 minutes, but we're meant to believe Kosmos from Xenosaga is just his way of getting Rex & Pyra in, while not acknowledging the actual -relevant- legacy of the character?

It's just... it paints a picture of Sakurai as being so XB2 obsessed he can't function. It's insane. If it's real I've lost all respect for the man.
The idea that Sakurai would do any character such a disservice as to base them on a game they merely had a very easy-to-miss cameo in is laughable. That's not Sakurai's MO. Not even a little bit. It'd be like Dante getting in, but he's only based on his cameo in Shin Megami Tensei.

If KOS-MOS ever got in, she would be based on Xenosaga, plain and simple. Maybe a few nods to her XBC2 appearance, but to suggest that her entire moveset would revolve around her appearance in that game is ridiculous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey uh...just got back after a walk and...

I'm having trouble processing what has transpired here. Did I hear KOS-MOS rumors or somethin'? I dunno, must be hallucinating.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

Yeah I have to agree

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hey uh...just got back after a walk and...

I'm having trouble processing what has transpired here. Did I hear KOS-MOS rumors or somethin'? I dunno, must be hallucinating.
It's literally just somebody posting on 4chan. This kind of stuff isn't really even worth discussing, honestly.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The idea that Sakurai would do any character such a disservice as to base them on a game they merely had a very easy-to-miss cameo in is laughable. That's not Sakurai's MO. Not even a little bit. It'd be like Dante getting in, but he's only based on his cameo in Shin Megami Tensei.

If KOS-MOS ever got in, she would be based on Xenosaga, plain and simple. Maybe a few nods to her XBC2 appearance, but to suggest that her entire moveset would revolve around her appearance in that game is ridiculous.
Technically, You can argue Wario.

D

Deleted member

It's literally just somebody posting on 4chan. This kind of stuff isn't really even worth discussing, honestly.
Random text leaks aren't exactly true unless the uploader gives it some credibility. Then aside, that's all I have to offer.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Perhaps. But the game he's based on still focuses on him. Whether it's Wario Land or WarioWare, Wario is still the main focus.

KOS-MOS being based on XBC2 would make no sense, considering she's probably the furthest thing from a main character you could possibly get in that game.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
There's no reason to believe any random 4chan text leak anyways, unfortunately. Anyone can throw on a tripcode, & the fact that the OP didn't use one suggests that they're two different people, which is already extremely suspicious in and of itself.
This. I took a good look at that 4chan thread, scrolled down, saw a tripcode, looked at the original post, and yeah it's suspicious. The mention of Xenogears spirits is a red flag IMO, due to royalties having to be paid for the artwork.
Her original appearance is still Xenosaga, its just that her entire moveset and appearance is derived from Xenoblade because that's where she is most known for. I believe she mainly fights with her big cannons.
It's hard to believe but Sakurai wanted to celebrate the entire Xeno franchise
Spirits include Shion and TELOS from Xenosaga side.
Yeah, I'm not buying into this. If KOS-MOS does get in, then her moveset AND design would be from Xenosaga, not Xenoblade. There is more to KOS-MOS herself than her XB2 cameo, which by the way is a rare Blade iirc.

Also a reminder that anyone can post anything on 4chan, whether a leak is fake or not. Very rarely things on there come out to be true, but most of the things on there are ****posting that overall isn't really worth talking about.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Random text leaks aren't exactly true unless the uploader gives it some credibility. Then aside, that's all I have to offer.
well the guy in the replies has a tripcode which means he can be identified again if he posts. that's the only reason I brought it up. So say KOS-MOS is in and he comes back on 4chan etc.

But for now please dont put faith in it. It says she will come with Xenogears spirits and you know how ****ing stingy Square is. I dont believe it one bit

D

Deleted member

well the guy in the replies has a tripcode which means he can be identified again if he posts. that's the only reason I brought it up. So say KOS-MOS is in and he comes back on 4chan etc.

But for now please dont put faith in it. It says she will come with Xenogears spirits and you know how ****ing stingy Square is. I dont believe it one bit
Like I would put some faith on some random words. Definitely not buying this one. And still, anyone is fair game as much as it sounds.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But at least his moveset idea pulls from games he stars in, and has his original outfit available as well.

Yeah, I'm not buying into this. If KOS-MOS does get in, then her moveset AND design would be from Xenosaga, not Xenoblade. There is more to KOS-MOS herself than her XB2 cameo, which by the way is a rare Blade iirc.
Isn't she also DLC only like Shulk, Fiora, and Elma?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Square's not Stingy. The rights to literally everything Final Fantasy are just ****ed up beyond all logical reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom