• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
To bask away from this drama, let us assume that all future fighters have to be from completely new companies, adding a new copyright. Let’s say you can add... 5 (FP5 + 4 more)
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1. Bethesda - Dovahkiin (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)
2. Netherrealm Studios - Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
3. Mojang - Steve (Minecraft)
4. Camelot - Isaac (Golden Sun)
5. Blizzard - Zeratul (Starcraft)

I cheated a little with 3 and 4, but they would add new trademarks. Also, I know 5 is a pipe dream, but we weren't going for realism here, so...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
In terms of new developers for Smash, I Level-5 is pretty likely
F55451FB-6DA1-4D73-9E13-B81E11472413.jpeg

All of their big hit franchises appear near exclusively on Nintendo consoles. They maybe newer than most developers but they have a good working relationship with Nintendo and multiple popular series, especially in Europe.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Okay, if anyone shows a potentially hot case, don’t ever bring up another one. Make it a rule.
We also already had Joker in the pass, yet we got Hero right after...
It’s hard to not make the two extremely unique. Terry and Heihachi unfortunately are not that different to put them in the same pass.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Were the Smash 4 DLC Mii outfits released alongside the characters? Or were they dropped alone? Sorry, I skipped 4.

D

Deleted member

To bask away from this drama, let us assume that all future fighters have to be from completely new companies, adding a new copyright. Let’s say you can add... 5 (FP5 + 4 more)
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
let me try
Arc systems works-sol badguy
Koei tecmo-Ryu hayabusa
Level 5-professor Layton
Wayforward/BOZON-Shantae
Zenimax media-Doomslayer

D

Deleted member

View attachment 248894

All of their big hit franchises appear near exclusively on Nintendo consoles. They maybe newer than most developers but they have a good working relationship with Nintendo and multiple popular series, especially in Europe.
Yo shoutouts to this artist who remembered Dark Cloud

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Watch him be our next fighter and that’s why no one has heard about him.
It all makes sense now! This thread has a spell on it so that anyone who looks at it automatically purge any thought of the actual newcomer from their mind. I see through your ruse Nintendo! I will let it be known that Mr. Dri...

What were we talking about again?

It’s hard to not make the two extremely unique. Terry and Heihachi unfortunately are not that different to put them in the same pass.
Have you even seen Heihachi in action? Wait. Don't answer that. I already know the answer is no.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember SmashBoards, May 2019; it was chaos, and not the fun kind.

Don’t ask, boisengirls, unless your question is safely tucked away inside a private message; and even then, don’t ask.

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
OK quick poll: what do people think the likelihood of the FP5 being from Nintendo themselves? I feel like that kind of curveball could happen at this point.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
It all makes sense now! This thread has a spell on it so that anyone who looks at it automatically purge any thought of the actual newcomer from their mind. I see through your ruse Nintendo! I will let it be known that Mr. Dri...

What were we talking about again?

Have you even seen Heihachi in action? Wait. Don't answer that. I already know the answer is no.
Actually, yeah. I think the old guy is pretty damn cool, like the way he beat the **** of his wife. It’s just fighting-type characters are particularly less distinctive in smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

OK quick poll: what do people think the likelihood of the FP5 being from Nintendo themselves? I feel like that kind of curveball could happen at this point.
I'm surprised it's not brought up more. Especially with Three Houses not getting spirits when everything else is. I honestly think if it's not Namco or Capcom, it might be Three Houses.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Okay, if anyone shows a potentially hot case, don’t ever bring up another one. Make it a rule.

One is from a 2D fighting game that's faster-paced and involves performing crazy directional inputs for special moves...

The other is from a 3D fighting game that's slower-paced and involves chaining button presses to juggle the opponent...

... yeah, totally not that different.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 248894

Out of all of them I find Layton the most likely

also why is king slime there?

D

Deleted member

Dark Cloud was actually Level-5 first game they developed
It shows, but that's very cool to know. My brother did not even get close to beating it (he just got devoured by the Snake Boss and let it be), but I fondly remember watching him play it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually, yeah. I think the old guy is pretty damn cool, like the way he beat the **** of his wife. It’s just fighting-type characters are particularly less distinctive in smash.
Not if they add the correct mechanics. Ryu and Ken have command inputs, Terry has supers and a back special, and Heihachi gyrates instead of dash dancing.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see it happening.

It's pretty obvious that all packs will bring a new series to Smash, and there aren't many first-party picks left that can fit the bill. New games like Three Houses Astral Chain are probably still on the table, but it might be a gamble.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
One is from a 2D fighting game that's faster-paced and involves performing crazy directional inputs for special moves...

The other is from a 3D fighting game that's slower-paced and involves chaining button presses to juggle the opponent...

... yeah, totally not that different.
I’ve seen how they play, I’m only considering how they will specifically play in smash.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
I think I already answered this before, but:

Sol Badguy
Professor Layton
Reimu
Carmen Sandiego
Doom Slayer

Not really much of a reason for this lineup outside of providing the most variety in terms of genre, aesthetic, and playstyle. Plus most of them represent genres not represented in Smash yet so they'd all bring something new to the table. Even Sol could bring a ton of crazy **** exclusive to anime fighters to differentiate himself from the other fighting game boys.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
While probably everyone and their dogs would scream Link as the "exclusive" character, I think that a fire emblem character with fire emblem themed pieces and costumes would be very interesting ... Aaand also, might not be as exclusive considering that Nintendo doesn't has too much problem putting fire emblem stuff outside of Nintendo consoles (mobile, cards) while zElda generally is very exclusive to the consoles.

And if it's not exclusive, it means it won't be instantly banned on competitive soul Calibur
Not nearly on the same level, but you can get Zelda gear in PSO2...
Which means you can dress like Link while using Toro and Kuro mags.
Game is wild.

The only pieces of Touhou music I'm familiar with are:

• Himorogi Burn in Violet
  • Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon
  • Plastic Mind
  • Native Faith
  • Fantasy Heaven
  • Grimoire of Alice
So if we get at least one of those in Smash, I'm all set.
Just for the Hell of it, a few others to enjoy:

Who do you add?
Carmen Sandiego (Where is Carmen Sandiego) - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Giana (The Great Giana Sisters) - THQ Nordic
Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island) - Disney
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project) - Team Shanghai Alice
Yuudachi (Kantei Collection) - Kadokawa Games/DMM.com

Would have added Quinty, since we don't have a pure Game Freak character, but they are in the copyright, so eh... :-/

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally, Not Very Likely

Most, if not all of the Notable Nintendo Characters are ATs, Spirits, Bosses, etc already in the game. You have characters like Adeline and Porky who aren't any of those (though you could argue the Absolute Space Capsule is supposed to be Porky), but they don't really fit the theme of 1 new stage and Spirits boards. Porky already has his home stage in, and there are a bunch of Earthbound Sprits.

and Characters like Akira, and the characters of Three Houses are Too New. If Rex was too new for Smash, they definitely are, and them getting in is a Slap to the face

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are you seriously trying to guilt-trip people for liking a villain? You can like a character without condoning their actions, you know.

Also, I call bull**** on "fighting game characters are not distinct" after how different Terry and Ryu were.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
  1. Sora
  2. Doomguy
  3. PaRappa
  4. Peashooter
  5. Proferssor Layton

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I’ve seen how they play, I’m only considering how they will specifically play in smash.
As someone who's actually played both The King of Fighters and Tekken games, I know for a fact that a Tekken character (whether it's Heihachi or someone else) would play very differently from Ryu, Ken, and Terry.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Are you seriously trying to guilt-trip people for liking a villain? You can like a character without condoning their actions, you know.

Also, I call bull**** on "fighting game characters are not distinct" after how different Terry and Ryu were.
Why are you shoving crap in my mouth? I didn’t want to spoil the epic **** that went down in that Villain’s life. Do you want spoil those moments for people that don’t know him? It’s like avoiding stuff that went down with Snake and his brother to avoid spoils.

Do you think the casuals are smart enough to understand the difference?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
1. Monokuma
2. Reimu
3. Sol Badguy
4. Laharl
5. Saya (from Saya no Uta)

cj.

Smash Journeyman

That's like saying that Joker and Hero are the same because both are from an RPG game, Terry and Heihachi are completely different from each other

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
As #5? Low, maybe 33% chance at best.
Outside the Pass? VERY High. I personally think it's gonna be another Piranha Plant case with another Nintendo character that's series is in the game but they are missing(Porky? Adeleine? Sylux?) Who will be the first "additional fighter" added. 85-90% range.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
let me try
Arc systems works-sol badguy
Koei tecmo-Ryu hayabusa
Level 5-professor Layton
Wayforward/BOZON-Shantae
Zenimax media-Doomslayer
Are Wayforward and Koei tecmo not already on the copyright (Shantae spirit and Yuri Kozukata AT)

BZocky

Smash Ace
Who do you add?
My answer:
1. Heavy
2. Reimu
3. Otto Matic
4. Doomguy
5. Carmen Sandiego
Joe & Mac (Data East)
Sir Daniel (Sony)
Heavy (Valve)
Space Invader (Taito)
Centipede (Atari)