• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Not to piss off Lesley by speaking out against a female character, but Arle would be about as close to a "wasted slot" of a character that I can imagine.
I'd literally rather have this:
O-Tetrimino Head
T- Tetrimino Shoulders
I-Tetrimino Torso
S and Z-Tetrimino Arms
J and L-Tetrimino Legs
Call it "Tetris Man".
I’d buy that

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
What if FP5 is another Games Award darling that surprised people with its inclusion like Persona 5? We don’t have any cowboy fighters yet and John Marston’s ranked up with Link as one of gaming’s best protagonists...

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Has Vergeben ever given information on why he's only telling people who #5 isn't?

Why have none of the leakers (outside of nameless 4chan randos) been able to give information on who the final fighter's pass character could be? Company, genre, age of franchise, moveset traits... even basic visual characteristics like "is it human or not" or "what gender is it."

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Has Vergeben ever given information on why he's only telling people who #5 isn't?

Why have none of the leakers (outside of nameless 4chan randos) been able to give information on who the final fighter's pass character could be? Company, genre, age of franchise, moveset traits... even basic visual characteristics like "is it human or not" or "what gender is it."
Because "It's not time" yet basically. I'd assume only a very few amount of people actually know who it is and they'll start talking once it's "out in the wild" or close to reveal when more people know who it is.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
You know what shade of orange they could use to differentiate from Banjo and Kazooie's golden yellow, if FP5 is a Bandai Namco character? Look at the silhouettes here:

guess who's in the center tho...

edit - images :GCB:roke again, here's a link: https://www.sccpre.cat/mypng/detail...-namco-vs-bandai-namco-entertainment-logo.png
I can’t believe I forgot KOS-MOS was a Namco character. Okay, if we get a Namco character I hope it’s her and then if not her then Lloyd.

I haven’t played Xenogear yet, but I love her in XC2.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Maybe one day we'll have all of them. What do you guys think?
Do one for platformers.
Oh wait. Mario would be all three. But still. We need Crash, Spyro, Rayman, and Earthworm Jim.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not to piss off Lesley by speaking out against a female character, but Arle would be about as close to a "wasted slot" of a character that I can imagine.
O-Tetrimino Head
T- Tetrimino Shoulders
I-Tetrimino Torso
S and Z-Tetrimino Arms
J and L-Tetrimino Legs
Call it "Tetris Man".
Okay, but consider this:

She's really cute and fun.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is also top 10 Switch games tier. Why can't we have both through her?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
What's everyone's top 5 for DLC? Mine would be:

5. Tales of rep
4. Reimu
3. Kirby rep
2. Hat Kid
1. Octolings
Mine's in my signature.
Earthworm Jim, Lip, Eggman, F-Type and... well honestly, I did say Mona once but shes a fairly obscure secondary character who might be too much of a stretch. I'm split between her, Master Chief, Spyro and Goemon. Cant decide which of those I want more.

O-Tetrimino Head
T- Tetrimino Shoulders
I-Tetrimino Torso
S and Z-Tetrimino Arms
J and L-Tetrimino Legs
Call it "Tetris Man".
Stop talking about Tetrisman. It's a stupid idea that GameTrailers.com made up back in the Brawl days that has nothing to do with anything from Tetris.

If Tetris got representation it should be an I-Tetrimino that shifts its segments around into all the other shapes. It doesnt need to be humanoid to work.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Okay, but consider this:

She's really cute and fun.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is also top 10 Switch games tier. Why can't we have both through her?
Wholeheartedly agree with this. I don't think Tetris is a bad choice at all for Smash, but in my opinion, directly asking for Tetris in Smash over Arle is like asking for Karate Champ over Street Fighter, or Rogue (the 1980 computer game, not the bat) over Dragon Quest, or Space Panic over Mario. Just because something is the first of its genre doesn't mean it's immediately entitled to getting a spot in Smash Bros. Not to mention that "Tetrisman" honestly defeats the purpose of having a Tetris character. It'd be one of the blocks, or nothing. Mr. Game & Watch is different because his design is able to naturally incorporate multiple Game & Watch titles into his moveset. How would a man made out of Tetrominos accurately represent Tetris as a game?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Okay on another note, which unrepresented series/game in Smash do you want music from? Since this is all hypothetical the music tracks don't have to come with a character or anything.

I think some Falcom music (Particularly this one), would be amazing to have in Smash.

D

Deleted member

O-Tetrimino Head
T- Tetrimino Shoulders
I-Tetrimino Torso
S and Z-Tetrimino Arms
J and L-Tetrimino Legs
Call it "Tetris Man".
Why don't you visit the Arle thread if you're that skeptical. Hopefully it'll give you some infobits that'll make you change your mind...or not.

Tetris man...would look kinda silly lmao, but we already have Tetris spirits in the game so...

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Question: if Sakurai chose Gordon for DLC 5, how is he get past the fact that Mr. Freeman has no personality?
Who needs personality when you have a crowbar?

But more seriously, Gordon isn't the worst offender from the FPS sphere in this regard. >_>

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Arle also has an actual character design as well. Bit easier to showcase a personality through something that is a living being VS just a shape IMO.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Okay on another note, which unrepresented series/game in Smash do you want music from? Since this is all hypothetical the music tracks don't have to come with a character or anything.

I think some Falcom music (Particularly this one), would be amazing to have in Smash.
****ing Touhou.

D

Deleted member

Arle also has an actual character design as well. Bit easier to showcase a personality through something that is a living being VS just a shape IMO.
And Sakurai can honestly make a fun moveset revolving around her tbh.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
What if FP5 is another Games Award darling that surprised people with its inclusion like Persona 5? We don’t have any cowboy fighters yet and John Marston’s ranked up with Link as one of gaming’s best protagonists...
One of the reasons why I think Dragonborn has a legitimate chance to be FP5. And considering everyone here seems to be expecting Doom Slayer, he sorta fits the "unexpected" category. He's also a western character that a LOT of people know, so I think he'd fit a VGA reveal very nicely.

Also John Marston would be super cool but RDR not being on Nintendo systems along with Rockstar's general lack on Nintendo support definitely hurt his chances. Nonetheless I think a horseback cowboy would make for an incredibly unique moveset.

D

Deleted member

Maybe one day we'll have all of them. What do you guys think?
God I can't believe we have Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Persona in Smash Bros. You put all of them side by side and it looks like one of those crazy fan request lists.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the bar for "western enough" for a TGA reveal is Persona, I think you've got a lot of leeway when it comes to possibilities.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm going to be honest with everyone. Everyone here has recently been telling me how big if a deal Touhou is. I've never seen that with my own eyes though. The fact that I hadn't heard if it until, not only Smash speculation, not just Smash Ultimate speculation, but this particular Smash Ultimate DLC speculation tells me that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Call me crazy but literally any other game I had heard in passing and had an idea of their legacy before this DLC cycle.

Just from that observation, I think people are vastly overplaying the Touhou series in general.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'm going to be honest with everyone. Everyone here has recently been telling me how big if a deal Touhou is. I've never seen that with my own eyes though. The fact that I hadn't heard if it until, not only Smash speculation, not just Smash Ultimate speculation, but this particular Smash Ultimate DLC speculation tells me that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Call me crazy but literally any other game I had heard in passing and had an idea of their legacy before this DLC cycle.

Just from that observation, I think people are vastly overplaying the Touhou series in general.
Same. Had 0 clue who Reimu or Touhou was until the DLC speculation started. Haven't really seen anything convincing me that it's just not something super popular that I just haven't run across before either

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

yes

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Realistically, we're not gonna get much hint of who the final pass character is until the character is ready for release or reveal. That'll be when the marketing materials are being put together.

Maybe we'll get lucky with another Website leak.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

It's more like Touhou is both Early internet culture and Game culture.
It is "obscure" on everyone in the world beside Japan? Yes.
But did it leave a big ass heavy impact on Gaming/Internet culture?
Yeah, you probably saw tons of Touhou stuff/Memes and reference without knowing that it's from Touhou. (Most notably the Musics)

It's basically like Dragon Quests, it's like "AHAHA, what is a DQ???" (or what's an SNK alternatively) when DQ basically made 3/4 of the game mechanisms in JRPG we play today kind of deal.

Latyon

Smash Cadet

Agreed. I've made a point of asking everyone I know who plays Smash if they support adding Reimu to Smash, and not a single person I've ever met even knows who she is or what she's from.

I would be very surprised to see Reimu in Smash. She's just another skirtwearing anime lady.

Same **** with Haruka Amami and that Famicom Detective Club kid

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Agreed. I've made a point of asking everyone I know who plays Smash if they support adding Reimu to Smash, and not a single person I've ever met even knows who she is or what she's from.

I would be very surprised to see Reimu in Smash. She's just another skirtwearing anime lady.

Same **** with Haruka Amami and that Famicom Detective Club kid
Excuse you, she's a Shrine Maiden. That's like the level above Japanese Schoolgirl.

D

Deleted member

I assume it's a Dragon Quest thing where it must be really popular in Japan to warrant a spot. However, at least Dragon Quest and SNK localized most of their games so it's kind of iffy for me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If this is how we react to Touhou, I can't imagine how Japan would react to Hollow Knight or Master Chief.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

Agree 100%, nothing at all against reimu fans, but I had never heard of her or touhou a single time before coming on the boards. Every other series in ultimate’s speculation I knew about before reading about them on the boards, but not touhou, I think there’s maybe a 1% chance of her being dlc if that tbh

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Just saying, as a fan of Persona and DQ and a slight fan of SNK, this is what I saw towards those three series. I feel this argument, no matter how "notable" the series is, is rather useless in the grand scheme of things.

D

Deleted member

It's more like Touhou is both Early internet culture and Game culture.
It is "obscure" on everyone in the world beside Japan? Yes.
But did it leave a big ass heavy impact on Gaming/Internet culture?
Yeah, you probably saw tons of Touhou stuff/Memes and reference without knowing that it's from Touhou. (Most notably the Musics).
Because I'm out of the loop of all this and know jack, how did Touhou impact gaming?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Just saying, as a fan of Persona and DQ and a slight fan of SNK, this is what I saw towards those three series. I feel this argument, no matter how "notable" the series is, is rather useless in the grand scheme of things.
That’s definitely a fair criticism, but I also think we could all agree that Persona and Dragon Quest are significantly more well known overall than Touhou (SNK less so for sure I’ll give you that)

Falcon Maltese

Smash Rookie
I joined just to say one thing. If you're thinking of the color orange you're missing the other big Valve main character: Chell. Not I really think she has a chance, but just wanted to point that out. Now back to lurking.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Because I'm out of the loop of all this and know jack, how did Touhou impact gaming?
Depending on your definition of impact, Undertale absolutely would not exist without Touhou. Other than that, it's also a series where a lot of gaming amateurs use to make some of their first games in Japan due to ZUN's relative lax copyright standards.

D

Deleted member

Depending on your definition of impact, Undertale absolutely would not exist without Touhou. Other than that, it's also a series where a lot of gaming amateurs use to make some of their first games in Japan due to ZUN's relative lax copyright standards.
I don't get it. Can you go into more detail as to how it impacted Undertale and why gaming amateurs making their games mattered here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom