• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Marth needs quick tips for local tourney

G3TL05T

Smash Cadet
I hope this post is allowed, since I just want some quick tips. If it's not allowed here, just tell me where I should post it.

There's a tournament for Melee at my local gaming center, and the players are nowhere near the top players in the US.

I main Marth as the title says, but sometimes Mewtwo if it's bowser (kind of just fun throwing around such a big character telekinetically).

I've learned a lot since I started following the competitive smash community. I know can wavedash well enough to grab the ledge easily and avoid attacks, but I sometimes still end up doing a roll. I also jump cancel all my grabs, and I've been trying to L-cancel without success. I have however learned to Short Hop consistently.

The problem I have is that when I play lvl 9 Samus, she likes to spam her long tether grab, but it has a lot of ending lag. I usually just wavedash or roll away and then run up with a dash attack to get her in the air. Is this a decent tactic in case a face a Samus player that likes to do this?

I like to approach with Short Hop Fair and then lead into a JC grab. Is this a safe approach, or am I doing it all wrong?

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Firstly don't play against level 9's.

Check out this
Try doing stuff from here (Intended for Falcon, but most applies to solo practice Marth)

SHFFL > Wavedash; Wavedash is situational. L-Cancel, however, is not. It must be used on all your aerials every time you use them (Unless you autocancel. But that's another lesson for another day.)

Learn your safe approaches (SH Fair, SH Nair, Dash cancelled D-Tilt, JC Grab, etc)

And the most important thing is NOT the chain grab against spacies like some would say, but rather spacing. That, combined with the right movement will win games. The rest adds more layers on the awesome cake.
Learn what is safe to hit with, and what is unsafe. When to approach and when not to. When to shield, when to dodge, and when to grab. It won't be easy at first, but with practice, and time, you'll get there.

And also, technically, this should been placed in the "Ask Dr. PP about Cactuar stuff" thread or something, but I think it'll be fine where it is, lol practice up, yeah?

As for the Samus question, you gotta punish that tether anytime it comes out. A spotdodge to a SHFFL'd Fair is usually good enough if you can see it coming, but since it's so laggy if she misses, you have a ton of options. (Better players won't really use her grab. The tether will only come out as an aerial or to grab on the stage for the most part.)

G3TL05T

Smash Cadet
Firstly don't play against level 9's.

Check out this
Try doing stuff from here (Intended for Falcon, but most applies to solo practice Marth)

SHFFL > Wavedash; Wavedash is situational. L-Cancel, however, is not. It must be used on all your aerials every time you use them (Unless you autocancel. But that's another lesson for another day.)

Learn your safe approaches (SH Fair, SH Nair, Dash cancelled D-Tilt, JC Grab, etc)

And the most important thing is NOT the chain grab against spacies like some would say, but rather spacing. That, combined with the right movement will win games. The rest adds more layers on the awesome cake.
Learn what is safe to hit with, and what is unsafe. When to approach and when not to. When to shield, when to dodge, and when to grab. It won't be easy at first, but with practice, and time, you'll get there.

And also, technically, this should been placed in the "Ask Dr. PP about Cactuar stuff" thread or something, but I think it'll be fine where it is, lol practice up, yeah?

As for the Samus question, you gotta punish that tether anytime it comes out. A spotdodge to a SHFFL'd Fair is usually good enough if you can see it coming, but since it's so laggy if she misses, you have a ton of options. (Better players won't really use her grab. The tether will only come out as an aerial or to grab on the stage for the most part.)
Thanks for the advice, and I only really play lvl 9 Samus to practive avoiding and punishing the grab. I always hear top players saying that level 9s make you form habits, so I'll try to avoid too much of those.

Top Bottom