• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia Game Signups | Newcomer Information [New to dGames? Come Here First]

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Look at this way.

Ryker is the only player on Dgames I've hydra'd with and not regretted it.
Is vocabulary just overlooked in the UK nowadays?

And obtw, you're right, it definitely wasn't your quest to pin Celloscum that lost us whatever game that was.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Is vocabulary just overlooked in the UK nowadays?

And obtw, you're right, it definitely wasn't your quest to pin Celloscum that lost us whatever game that was.
Have you ever read a post of mine? Poor vocabulary is possibly the last thing you should be thinking of.

I assume you mean ToastingWalrus, in which you got DH modkilled.

#HBC | Gorf

Have you ever read a post of mine? Poor vocabulary is possibly the last thing you should be thinking of.
Look at this way.

Ryker is the only player on Dgames I've hydra'd with and not regretted it.
Tommy Boy said:
I assume you mean ToastingWalrus, in which you got DH modkilled.
My half of the hydra was slacking cuz you had previously had him modkilled in Castlevania iirc... Where is that dude anyway?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Bump.

So I heard lots of good things about Mafia so I thought I'd like to try it out. Now I hope I'm doing this right, lol.

/in Newbie

From the looks of things though, it doesn't seem like a game is going to start anytime soon!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah, that's right, but you're first in signing up so you're gonna have to wait awhile before signups are filled.

Alternatively, you could try your luck with the normal queue as well.

:phone:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Honestly, I think my knowledge of the rules and whatnot is shaky. I'd hate to bring down a "normal" game because of my lack of knowledge and skill.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hi Kantrip & T-block! :)

You'd be amazed at the inpetitude of most people.
I honestly think most people are pretty smart. It's just that at times, we don't show it!

I'm kind of confused as to what happens on Day 1... like from what I can see in the tutorial people start discussion and choose somebody to kill off.

How exactly does this happen when nobody really knows anything (besides their own roles)? I read the rule that "you can't tell people what you know when you get lynched"? Is everybody given special information or something when the roles are assigned?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
On Day one everyone is in the dark and the game often starts out with non-serious accusations to get discussion started. Eventually someone will say something that sounds disingenuous or "scummy" and will get attacked for it and the game just goes from there, multiple tangential arguments spawning from other player's contributions to the initial conflict.

You can share your role with everyone at any time you wish by paraphrasing it. It is illegal to quote in any way or form your role PM given to you by the mod (as this may unfairly confirm you as an alignment) but you're allowed to "claim" to have any role you wish.

Mafia are given special information in that they are informed who their partners are and can speak with them outside of the game thread.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Are you referring to the rule that you can't talk when you're dead?

Well, basically, in mafia, once someone dies they are removed from the game and can't play anymore. It's a rule of the game that they are no longer allowed to talk about it to anyone. This is to keep balance to the game. This wouldn't really be a game if no one was eliminated from it!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oops I was making a connection between that rule and possible exclusive information.

Thanks for the explanation. I *think* I'm getting the gist of things. Seems like there's going to be a lot of lies and trickery.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Oops I was making a connection between that rule and possible exclusive information.

Thanks for the explanation. I *think* I'm getting the gist of things. Seems like there's going to be a lot of lies and trickery.

There is, but a lot of it is subtle, other times more blatant. Sometimes you could be looking at something odd and are unable to determine what to make of it. In such cases, it becomes priority to question the person on their intent and find if their rationale makes sense. More often than not, mafia tries to be subtle, however in doing so they make themselves blatant. Sometimes mafia is blatant in order to hide being subtle. Everyone has their own thought process and strategies. I think it is very hard to mess up a game, and even messing up gives beneficial information (as town) and allows you to get better (as mafia). I feel that a newbie game won't start soon and would suggest trying to jump into a "normal" game, but that is dependent on the moderators. Try both :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
So pretty much don't take anything seriously but keep things in the back of your head in case there's a contradiction of sorts?

Okay I'll sign up for a normal game and see how things go. :)

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
So pretty much don't take anything seriously but keep things in the back of your head in case there's a contradiction of sorts?

Okay I'll sign up for a normal game and see how things go. :)

I'm actually someone who has a bad time internalizing and keeping things in my head when I'm town. I wouldn't state that there is a single "right" way to play the game. Everyone will develop some comfort style and this is bound to be forged by some bad games. I just think that everyone makes mistakes and as long as the person is conscientious about it, I don't believe in holding it against that person and I believe that a lot of other players also hold the same. Higurashi mafia was one game where there were a lot of first time players: Ori-Bro & Balatro iirc so you wouldn't be the first person to break ice with a normal game. Overall, I think you should be fine. You'll definitely be better than me :3

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Just know that you won't be given special treatment in a normal game. If you truly want an environment where you can ease your way into the game slowly while learning the rules, play a newbie. Playing in a normal game should be fine, but only if you're up to it. There will be a fairly steep learning curve.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I have a love/hate relationship with noobies : (

It's hard to differentiate bad and scum with noobies.
But it's so easy to catch them as town.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Personally I'd prefer a Newbie game but it seems there wont be a Newbie game for a very long time.

#HBC | Gorf

Mafia is basically about staying alive. If you're town, staying alive is good cuz you know you're not dead. If you're mafia, staying alive is good cuz you know you and your buddie(s) can still win. In the end it's a win win situation, being alive.

Loljk this is why I don't IC.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Mafia is basically about staying alive. If you're town, staying alive is good cuz you know you're not dead. If you're mafia, staying alive is good cuz you know you and your buddie(s) can still win. In the end it's a win win situation, being alive.

Loljk this is why I don't IC.
I will kill you if you give advice like that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, it's more important that your enemies don't stay alive :3

#HBC | Gorf

but as town you don't know who your enemies are so if you stay alive as town you know that at least some of the town is alive and that maybe some of the mafia is going to die but they have a lower chance of dying if you die before them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom