• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia Game Signups | Newcomer Information [New to dGames? Come Here First]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You say this every 6 months you come to play x3

Actually wow it really has been 2 years since Breaking Bad holy ****.
I have stopped posting on Smashboards on a regular basis since my Premium expired in early 2012. So I don't know what kind of nonsense you're going off on, please don't act like you know me.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I have stopped posting on Smashboards on a regular basis since my Premium expired in early 2012. So I don't know what kind of nonsense you're going off on, please don't act like you know me.
Sorry, I read a game that you were in a from a few years back. Didn't know you stopped playing since I temporarily stopped reading games. :bee:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I don't have the confidence to play in a normal game yet.
Precisely why you should join. You'll be fine. Peeps will walk you through terms and the like all the same. As you said, the current newbie game isn't even really a newbie game anyhow at this point. Now that I think about it, the idea that one will learn the game easier with other people that don't know how to play doesn't really fit. Why have just a few teachers when you can have a dozen?

JeXs

Smash Champion
Precisely why you should join. You'll be fine. Peeps will walk you through terms and the like all the same. As you said, the current newbie game isn't even really a newbie game anyhow at this point. Now that I think about it, the idea that one will learn the game easier with other people that don't know how to play doesn't really fit. Why have just a few teachers when you can have a dozen?
I think I'd get lynched really quickly in a normal game. Playing the newb isn't exactly the nicest thing to do and I would like to refrain from doing so as much as possible. Also, the other newbies should actually check the site at least once every few days. :mad:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
You very much misinterpreted my post. The first line was a friendly jape. The second line was me realizing that you were actually right and that time slipped by me. I honestly don't understand how in the world you interpreted in way that caused you to react so rudely. Would adding smiley faces help you to understand my tone better :)?

Not really, considering I never really understood gameplay, Mafia never crossed my mind until just recently when I thought it'd be fun to play again.
I haven't been active on Smashboards for the past six months, names sort of disappear in that time. It's kinda coming back now.

But if you wanna reminisce feel free to gimme a VM or whatnot.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Cuz in a normal game we don't wanna have to teach some newb. In newbie games that's what it's designed for.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You very much misinterpreted my post. The first line was a friendly jape. The second line was me realizing that you were actually right and that time slipped by me. I honestly don't understand how in the world you interpreted in way that caused you to react so rudely. Would adding smiley faces help you to understand my tone better :)?
Too bad, so sad it seems.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Reading a game and reading the rules is all you need know how to play. I never did a training game and I'm a better man for it. Back in my day, they didn't pamper us with "newbie training". They just threw us right into this ****. I had to walk 5 miles barefoot in the snow to play mafia. My first game consisted of vets like junglefever and kevinm AS MAFIA. Do you know what it's like being a noob against SCUM KEVIN SUPER MODERATOR M? ? You ever see that episode of family guy where Peter is in the rodeo and gets ***** by that bull? Yeah...didn't sleep many fortnights after that. But even so, all of those things made me into the MAN I am today. It's a hard cruel world of mafia, and that needs to be learned early on. When you pamper these boys with newbie games that cater to their every need, it makes them soft. By the time they hit the real deal, they're so flimsy they can hardly even walk. Not even a day into the game before they start pissin themselves. Men are the brick and stone foundation of a nation. What kind of nation are we leaving behind to be held up by sissy boys softer than a woman's bosom? Leave these newbie games to woman and girls I say, and let the Men be Men.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I'm totally kidding btw. I just think Jex knows enough (and is intelligent enough) to play in a normal game if he preferred to, since this one might not be starting soon and he's already been waiting a while.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I'm totally kidding btw. I just think Jex knows enough (and is intelligent enough) to play in a normal game if he preferred to, since this one might not be starting soon and he's already been waiting a while.
Do you know me?! Mannnn this is scary.

JeXs

Smash Champion
I might sign up for a normal game if it really takes forever to start though, will do so after my exams finish.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I actually think just letting, (nay, making) newbies play in the regular queue would be a better idea right now. I mean, we already combined the small/large queues due to stalling, why wouldn't we do that here?

In fact, the newbie queue stalling is actually a much bigger problem because it results in less new blood. If the newbies don't get to play, why would they ever come back? A newbie queue is a great idea when there's so many newbies floating around that noobness disrupts the regular games, but that's clearly not the case right now. We can't even run these games, at this rate. At the moment, it's just making interested newbies get discouraged from coming back. They "aren't welcome" at the big boy table, and the kid's table sucks ass. DGames will never grow, this way.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yeah, at this point it might as well be an introduce yourself thread. Playing in the normal queue is a better idea but eliminating the newbie games are up to the mods.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I think making this a "welcome newbs" thread is smart, but making em play in the queue games is bad. I say make the mini thread both a place where newcomers (non newbs) to the site can give themselves an intro to DGames with their activity and where newbies can both prove themselves able to handle queue games activity wise AND get an intro to the game itself. Since minis are strictly for the fun I know I damn well wouldn't mind playing nice with newbies and helping them understand mafia, and that way there are no "minimum newb requirements," which is what is stalling this thread.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Minis are taking away from the main queue. They should really just be marathon mafias where games last an hour or two.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, I think at this point this thread has served its purpose. Agreed with Gorf that mini-games are good enough a way to introduce people into dGames.

:059:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
The five new people we have right now took like 6 months to get. The minis are diluting the queue of the regular players. Minis need to be marathon games that don't take too much time.

JeXs

Smash Champion
There are almost no newbies other than me and terry now. I believe a good solution for the minis is to just let everyone play without any form of restriction.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
There aren't any restrictions on who can join the mini-mafia queue. There also aren't any restrictions on the normal queue unless you count mod digressions.

I don't though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, newbies joining the mini-games is ideal. If a newbie signs up for a regular game he's usually being directed there anyway.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yeah, newbies joining the mini-games is ideal. If a newbie signs up for a regular game he's usually being directed there anyway.

which is actually evidence that it's not working. They're being directed there, but they aren't signing up. Maybe that's because a newbie queue still exists, and they feel like that's the place they're supposed to be and feel uncomfortable signing up anywhere else. We need to streamline this **** so we can get interested parties involved asap so they can start playing, and decide if they wanna stick around.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Are we actually being directed there already? I feel like you guys are still in the midst of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom