• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New with marth, looking for tips.

Kilut

Smash Cadet
I used to main sheik back on melee, I wasn't all that good, but me and my friends had fun. I decided to main marth whence i got brawl. I find myself doing a lot better, and just being all-around more comfortable with marth. I was just wondering what some good tips would be for a new marth player, that aren't TOO advanced lol.

Vice Lord

Smash Apprentice
Scarborough, Ontario (Scarberian barbarians)
Well i'm not sure what boundary you have in mind for too advanced, but i'll tell you what i've learned about brawl's marth and marth in general that carrys over from melee.

(personal tactics)Don't overuse roll, i prefer spot dodging or dropping shield for the initial dash (tapping joystick quick in 1 direction, you can double, or triple tap to confuse opponents and move more unpredictably, if you quickly tap in the other direction after about 1/8 of a second after the first direction you can do quick fakeout turnaround from dashdance). The beginning of the dash is you best means of ground movement IMO.

(Platforms) On a stage with platforms try to go underneath and Utilt, Up-Smash or U-Air players above you, Fairs work here too if aimed well. Take advantage of your rediculous range of aerials, Short hop fairs and move left /right to space yourself with your opponent, or double fair a shorthop ocasionaly. A SHFair at peak of jump fast falled into d-tilit spam is effective both offensively and defensively.

(Edgegaurding) As for edgegaurding, chase oponents off stage with fairs or Bairs, certain characters recovery's such as Ike's side-B, or Wario's Up-B don't auto sweetspot, so use a d-tilt, or forward smash on them if you see it coming.

(Grabs) Grabs are still good, but much less range. If you grab someone near the edge of a stage facing off it, forward throw into Fairs, or if they DI wrong a fair -> dair spike. if you grab while facing away from edge, down-throw, now in this instance either immediately forward smash, or if you see a jump coming, shorthop and bair, and chase off with fairs. A Pseudo chainthrow marth has is to intentionally grab the opponent, allow them to break free and immediately dash grab them and repeat until they get out of it. (Once they expect it it wont work anymore.) If you can learn turn around grabs you will find good use for them. They are dashing in 1 direction and hit the c-stick in the opposite direction immediately pressing grab, to grab behind you.

(Approaching) As i said earlier fairs are always good approaches, or if you approach from the ground alternate between dash attacks, dashed B-Forward bladedance combos, a dash -> sliding upsmash and dash->shield->Up B. To explain in more detail, Marths Dancing blade is very good, it will work even in the middle of a dash, and will stop your movement immediately, and can be used either behind or in front of you (VERY GOOD). Upsmash can be done at anytime our of dash, just hit Up on your C-Stick. On Up-B> out of shield dash, dash forwards at someone, when you see the initial dash end and marths legs start to run you can shield cancel it, this is done by pressing shield at at this time. Then when an opponent is near, Up-B out of shield. Mix up your ground approaches so they don't get predictable.
(edit) another good approach i forgot to mention is to dash - > SHNair, and pull back on the joystick, it works well for luring opponents into the second hit of the Nair, as they expect you to get closer with a fair.

(Tipper & Basics) Something very basic i forgot to mention, all your blade attacks have a sweet spot called the tipper at the edge of them, this will do extra damage and increase knockback, learn to use it efficiently. Marth's main priority is infront or above him, so try to keep enemies here. (Uair is very good for damaging and killing, good timing will make it very hard for your friends to stop.) Learn to reverse Fair opponents, this is jumping backwards and doing an aerial forwards, which is very hard to get past if used well for opponents with small hitboxes on their attacks.

I've said alot, but some of my best advise to you is to make some good friends on WIFI and learn from them, as well as to read any posts made by M2K, he has good situational advise it's useful if you can find the opportunity for it. Good luck have fun, PM me if you want any specific help on something.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
The simple techniques that I use are:

use down+B whenever possible
Forward+B 4 hits to knock them flying
and aerial attacks

That's basically it. Easy and effective.

Bug

Smash Rookie
Take time to learn and use a variety of moves. I find it difficult to incorporate new things into my playstyle, since I've played Marth for probably 6 out of the 7 years that Melee was out (non-competitively).

For example: utilizing throws properly just escapes me and is turning out to be very difficult to incorporate.

I would say it would be helpful to think about the range/utility of each of his moves and understand situations that you could use them in. Knowing which move to use depending on the proximity of the opponent will help you be efficient with your moves, especially knowing that the tip of his sword does damage the best. It will also help you mix up your game, many moves have a similar use, and mixing up your game can never hurt.

Vice Lord has some good tips, just browse the forum and pick up what you can. Most important is to actually go play.

Nixis

Smash Cadet
The simple techniques that I use are:

use down+B whenever possible
Forward+B 4 hits to knock them flying
and aerial attacks

That's basically it. Easy and effective.
thats not very smart... down bs are very inefficient if you miss and you will be grabbed. forward bs, if dodged out of, u will be screwed. aerial attacks are really the only thing i can agree to... use the tip. i think the tip is still the sweetspot. cant really tink of anything else... i dunno if the side bs can still be used for recovery... lots of aerials, they are really fast. edge guards with bairs and edge hogs.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
I've learned this from experience though, do NOT spam Counter. You WILL be punished for it, and badly. Use Counter sparingly, only when you are almost positive you will actually pull it off.

Zhalseran

Smash Rookie
Marth's B-moves seem to be on the whole,. much better than in Melee, but he still seems to rely mostly on a-moves. F-airs and f-smashes are your bread and butter but side-b is definitely worth using now. n-air is great for approaching and retreating.

Marth is all about being mobile and keeping pressure up without becoming too predictable. short-hopped aerials should make up a lot of your offense but its more important than ever to mix in other abilities.

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
be sure to use your b moves and f-airs, n-airs, d-airs, a lot. counter helps but dodge and be sure to use ur B to smash them sometimes. his B is different than in melee, but just remember ur smashes always help.

BAD BD

Smash Rookie
Use short hops alot
Spam fairs
Don't spam counter
Don't forget about counter
Get good at landing all hits of his forward b
Get good at using his spike

Keep good spacing to sweetspot your attacks

Supax

Smash Apprentice
Use short hops alot
Spam fairs
Don't spam counter
Don't forget about counter
Get good at landing all hits of his forward b
Get good at using his spike

Keep good spacing to sweetspot your attacks
I have to disagree with both of these... First of all, don't spam any move.. Spamming his f-air isn't the 'worst' thing you can do, but it's not the best. And Marth's spike isn't nearly as good as it was in melee, and it's often times a mistake to try to use it. I see other things wrong with your post, but these are just the two that stood out so I'll leave it at that for now.

edit: in case it's hard to see, I'm talking about the 2 I bolded.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Learn to time down B (Counter). Learn it and love it. Time it in the air against characters that don't have an air grab. Fun times.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
watch videos and try to imitate the other marths.
Not always the best idea. While it's great to watch videos of other Marths and learn from them, I wouldn't suggest trying to immitate them completely. Usually you won't be able to do it as good as the original, and it's a good thing to develop your own style of playing.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Learn to time down B (Counter). Learn it and love it. Time it in the air against characters that don't have an air grab. Fun times.
Agreed; attack, then counter attack. Good strategy. Just don't spam counter, but still love it.;)

Fornax

Smash Rookie
also, another technique that is easy to incorporate which any character can perform and not just Marth is: after you are hit really hard so that you would probably get ko'ed, hit your L or R trigger button, the effect, is it greatly slows down your momentum, so in most cases when you would probably fly off, if you hit the trigger you won't.

Nixis

Smash Cadet
i really hate that his b-side doesnt help with recovery anymore. but it happens a lot faster. i was playing melee over the weekend and his side b seemed a lot slower. or is that just me?

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
No his side b is definitely faster now in brawl and you don't need side-b as much to recover anymore neutral b helps with that plenty just remember not to use your jump till you get near the stage or you might find yourself gimped by a projectile...

And yeah aerials are great but spammed too much you'll find yourself shieldgrabbed and air-dodged left and right...throw in some ground moves like d-tilt, dancing blade, f-tilt here and there...if they shield a lot mixing things up with shieldbreaker is nice and if spaced right you can punish counter attempts with up b even throw in grabs here and there.

Speaking of which for his grab game basically i either throw forward and charge f-smash, wait for airdodge and punish at lower percents, run up and regrab, or sh fairs if i notice they fail to airdodge a lot or sometimes even just keep jabbing them till they break free and react with either a d-tilt, regrab, or watch for a roll and chase if i think they'll roll.

Hope some of that helps

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
also, another technique that is easy to incorporate which any character can perform and not just Marth is: after you are hit really hard so that you would probably get ko'ed, hit your L or R trigger button, the effect, is it greatly slows down your momentum, so in most cases when you would probably fly off, if you hit the trigger you won't.
this doesn't work

DI

DI

DI

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
Um first of all...you'll never be as good as me. Jking. Ok i recommend trying to master his speed. Speed is his best weapon. If u can master his speed then it will lead to good and direct combo'ing. <---Check that for me). Anyways after that try to combo. Like use Fair,Fair,Fb^,Nair, Fair, and end with a spike. Which is Dair. Thats a good combo i like to use. Lol yeah so Speed!!!!
He may seem slow at first because u just came from Sheik. So watch it.

Top Bottom