• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

--New use For F-air--

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
I disagree, I use it very sparingly but if i know my opponent is going to attempt to airdodge through my attack in the air, instead of attacking I upb and chase an opponent with it, if you get the full effect the knockback from it keeps you safe

The only reason I use it is becuase no one ever uses it, you'd be suprised how often you can catch someone with it
Hmm I guess but if so mindgames only, and very very sparingly.

I use the fair when my opponent and i both jumped and are coming at each other with an attack in mind. It has nice priority and if your opponent misses can get even more hits in.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
1) Is it really true that fair has set knock back?
Can it get through Yoshi's super armor?

2) How much priority does it really have?
Specifically, can it break through another character's recovery move? i.e. Marth's b-up-esque priority (godly), or Mario's b-up-esque priority (seems like a lot, but not really that much)
No attack has a set knockback except blaster and shine. Like always, more damage more knockback.

As for priority, about medium high, which means that it probably wont be able to go through most any recovery moves. Recovery moves are designed to not be able to be countered while recovering. The easiest up-b to counter is snakes. At the very beginning theres so much time to spike him, and if he has to recover it means hes already at a high percentage, which means easy pickings.

BEES

Smash Lord
I prefer bair over fair in pretty much any situation. Even when you're facing forward. It's more likely to succeed and there's less punishment if it doesn't.

In regards to GuiltyPleasure, I really wish up+B could be an offensive attack, but it's slow, and if you catch people while it's charging, it tends to push them away with very little hitstun. It repositions them to smash you. Now if it sucked people in when charging... then we'd be talking.

GuiltyPleasure

Smash Cadet
eh if I could load a video I would, anyway back to f-air talk, i tryed the whole running off the stage into foward airing, and if they decide to air dodge it then it can possibly eff you over in the process but when it landed it was a nice bit of knockback from the stage though for the most part they were either ko'd out the side by it or could recover

ShootFrank

Smash Rookie
i will soon post some vids in this thread to show you guys cool f-air stuff. its a situational move but really shouldnt be left ignored.

Vro

Smash Lord
You forgot Olimar, Ganondorf, CFalcon, and Charizard :p
You think you're so smart NJ just because you're black..

I was actually considering Olimar, Charizard, and Ivysaur as I was writing that list. Ganon and Falcon's up B is just... no. If it's anything like in Melee, no.. Maybe it was improved in Brawl, I haven't played either that much, but... no.

Edit: Unless you're M2K and do some shenanigans like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNncLAjGXxs

Vro

Smash Lord
MK and Marth often score KO's with their up b's. TL uses his up b similarly to how young link did in Melee, which was often enough. Yoshi's projectile egg.. I see no reason why not to use this as a projectile.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You think you're so smart NJ just because you're black..
LOLOL

Ganon and Falcon's up B is just... no. If it's anything like in Melee, no.. Maybe it was improved in Brawl, I haven't played either that much, but... no.
CFalcon's Up B is now better for killing and both CFalcon and Dorf need moves to help replenish weakened moves. Their Up B's are alot safer to land now.

Uhh no. Using up-b on MK, Marth, TL, and Yoshi your just asking to be punished... badly
Up B is one of MK's best moves and it's not for it's use for recovery. It's probably his best edgeguarding attack and 2nd strongest KOing move. Also, you can always do a glide attack afterwards (which automatically cancels when it makes contact with the ground, so you can quickly do another move or escape). Oh, and let's not forget the ridiculous range.

Marth's and TL's Up B's are pretty safe out of a shield, therefore easy to connect. If you have an easy time connecting a move that has at least decent knockback, then you won't get punished.

Yoshi's Up B = long distance projectile which can even help him stall in the air...if you think that's asking for someone to be punished badly, please tell the Falco forum to stop shooting lasers, forwarding B into opponents, and throwing shines at them.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Falco cant WoP.

"Wall of Pain (abbreviated "WoP") is a strategy of constantly barraging the opponent with aerial attacks, while exploiting horizontal air maneuverability. Each attack should go forward in the air, then once you hit your opponent, back to where you started. This allows for quick attacks and keeps you out of range from any retaliations." -Smash wiki

Triplehelix2.0

Smash Cadet
Falco cant WoP.

"Wall of Pain (abbreviated "WoP") is a strategy of constantly barraging the opponent with aerial attacks, while exploiting horizontal air maneuverability. Each attack should go forward in the air, then once you hit your opponent, back to where you started. This allows for quick attacks and keeps you out of range from any retaliations." -Smash wiki
SEMI-EFFECTIVE. If you can get that last hit, it will WOP.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I prefer the air one. (aka mine xD)

that other one is too much work and too flashy xD

PhantomBrawler

Smash Apprentice
So I guess you dont need me to make the movie then? Im sorry its taken so long, you sent the replays at a really bad time(company over). I dont mind making them, I just dont want to do it for no reason

Zinnakain

Smash Rookie
That sound like a good idea and nice video by the way.
Thanks you ShootFrank and Exousia

H
then to get back on stage use your double jump, and Up+B.
When you said use your double jump to recover. I though you can double jump if you walk off, but really you can only use one jump and the up-b. I knew what you were talking about but for a second I simply thought you get two jumps.It's no big deal though.
Thanks for the idea about the F-Air

Take Care All
:p

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
According to the video, it seems entirely possible to just fall past your opponent if you don't land the first hit of fair, thus resulting in only 2 or 3 hits.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
If you fast fall this you wont land the final hits at all.

Your not suppose to fast fall this. Just run off the stage and Fair all the way down. The only hit that counts is the final one which deals the knock back.

Soz, you have the best Dair in the game and you use fair?
Um, it may be best Dair, but try executing it at a height such as shown in the video and successfully do it.

The Idealist

Smash Cadet
this seems like a nice way to kill someone who would have recovered, but overall it seems risky and limited in that you practically must save your second jump and upB to recover from it:ohwell:

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually finding it incredibly usefull, you can adjust the zone of the move by short hopping off the stage or doing the little walljump trick, it's excellent for gimping people like ness/lucas, because after they use their second jump, even with the range of their recoveries, this sends them out of range.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Yea, as someone already stated, it can be used as a pseudo-WoP as well if you are hella evil like me and just want them to get all pissed off. :chuckle:

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
i believe because he mentioned that this is allowed instantly without the large chance of accidentally fastfalling to your death, whereas to do Dair safely (at least for me) i have to run off then use my 2nd jump and Dair while rising so as not to risk fastfalling, I suppose you could cstick the Dair but its long duration still makes it dangerous
also, i believe if you are in contact with someone while using Fair it slows your downward momentum even more than non-fast fall speed

just my thoughts on the subject
It's called c-stick so you don't fastfall...

Sumtime

Smash Cadet
Wow I really like this. Thank you, I'll definitely be attempting this :).

Top Bottom