• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New update, Hopes crushed

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Dang this is Sakurai's Shut down week tomorrow we'll get a boss character Ridley, and after that we will get a Geno Assist
Friday Update: Lucario Pokéball'ed CONPHIRMED!1!

On topic: There are many Chars in the FE Universe, just because one is gone doesn't mean all is lost.
And besides...Black Knight > Lyn IMO

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Sigurd, Nabarl, Oguma, Jeigan, Sheeda, Marth, Roy, Soren, Micaiah, Ayra, and the Black Knight.

Taking from Sakurai´s poll and popular choices.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Man, this week sucks...

I mean look... Munchlax and Lyn were some of the most popular characters in Brawl... Sure people were disappointed that Deoxys and Samurai Goroh were Pokeball'd, but who here expected Andross, Knuckle Joe, Dr. Wright, Devil, Hammer Bro., Groundon and Nintendog playable?

As far as making this week really suck...

Ridley as a boss,
King Dedede as an assist trophy, and
Animal Crossing Main Character is playable.

That would make this the WORST week ever.

NukeA6

Smash Master
LOL, Nsiders must be in an uproar right now. There's more chance for Sigurd and Ayra now (thought they can end up ATs too). I'm surprised Lyn even made it as an AT since GBA FE games aren't very liked in the land of the rising sun.

Maybe Micaiah will be the FE female. She seems to have the highest chance.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOOOooooooo... *seppukus*

The only female lord in the series (as far as I know), one of very few lords with a design other than "guy with a long slashing sword", and by far my favorite lord in the series. Lyn was one of the best choices for Brawl FE representation by a longshot. She must be avenged! By Hector! Because I'm pretty sure he's the only FE lord left who could be something more than "the faster version of that other guy with the same weapon".

In my mourning, I now post my Lyn moveset. Forgive me if it's a little off-topic, but it will never find a home now, and she must be properly honored!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LYN

Appearance and Movement

Aesthetically, Lyn resembles her unpromoted form rather than her Blade Lord form (at least by default; the latter could easily be an alternate costume). She wields the Mani Katti, an ornate, white katana (for Brawl’s purposes, it might be best to make her sword slightly shorter than it was in the original game for balance purposes). Ordinarily, her blade is sheathed. She pulls it out only during sword-related attacks, and strikes straight from out of the sheath. Lyn jumps high and falls quickly, though not as dramatically so as, say, Falco.

Ground Attacks

A: Lyn thrusts out her right palm. Very quick, low damage, almost no knockback.

AA: Lyn follows up with a punch from the left hand. Very quick, low damage, almost no knockback. Can come out almost immediately after the first attack.

AAA: Lyn hops in the air and does a spinning kick. Decent damage and above-average knockback. Again, can come out almost immediately after the punch, causing the whole combo to execute very quickly.

<A: Lyn delivers a powerful kick. Not much damage, but good near-horizontal knockback. Can also be angled upwards, giving it mostly-vertical knockback.

vA: A sweeping kick with low damage and decent vertical knockback.

^A: Lyn jumps with a sideways rotation and delivers a vertical kick. Low damage, decent knockback.

Dash A: A flying kick with decent damage and good knockback.

<Smash: Lyn lunges forward while delivering a ferocious sword attack. Good damage and knockback. Comes out almost instantly, but has a brief ending lag due to Lyn needing to re-sheath her sword (a shared property of all her sword attacks).

vSmash: Lyn crouches down and does a low-angled sword slice, while simultaneously kicking foes behind her. Enemies in front suffer more than those behind her, obviously.

^Smash: Lyn makes two blindingly quick back-and-forth upward slashes. The first has no knockback, and the second has below-average knockback (for a smash attack, anyway). If both connect (which they often will, if you time it correctly), this attack does a great deal of damage in spite of its lackluster knockback. Has somewhat more ending lag than the other two smashes.

Air Attacks

Nair: Sex kick. Compared to Link’s, it’s more powerful if it connects instantly, but its strength decays much faster over time, and the overall duration is shorter.

Fair: Lyn slashes diagonally upwards with such force that it causes her to spin around once afterwards (though it won’t hit anyone behind her). Good knockback at a low trajectory. Has more landing lag than her other aerials.

Bair: Lyn jabs backwards with her elbow. Low damage, average knockback.

Dair: Lyn stomps downward with one foot. It acts as a spike, though not a very powerful one.

Uair: Lyn kicks while flipping backwards, hitting anyone in a 180 degree radius above her.

Special Attacks

B - Nomad’s Bow: Lyn pulls out a shortbow and quickly fires off an arrow. The charge time is much lower than the max charge on Link’s bow, but it is not variable (all arrows are shot out at full speed) and the arrows are considerably weaker. You can shoot up to three in quick succession before the bow is put away, causing some lag before you can shoot any more. The shots can be aimed to a max of 45 degrees in either direction.

Up B – Wind of Sacae: Lyn curls into a tight ball and is launched upwards high into the air. After two spins, she reaches the peak of the jump and brings her sword down hard on the last rotation. The final slash is very strong and sends foes at a below-horizontal trajectory, making it a good kill move if you can actually land it (easier said than done). Getting hit by Lyn’s body while she’s curled up will deal minimal damage and knock you weakly in the direction she’s moving, so at certain combinations of weight and damage, it might knock you into the sword slice (but not usually). When used as a recovery move, it has great vertical coverage, but very little horizontal movement.

Smash B – Phantom Blade: Essentially Lyn’s pre-promoted critical strike (the last move preformed in this movie, if you’ve never played FE7: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5OO03h0F3SI). Lyn draws her sword and holds it by her shoulder, pointed forward. The power of the move varies depending on how long you hold the button. If you just tap it, she lunges forward a very short distance, doing minimal damage. After the first second of charging, her arm begins to shake. Releasing the button here will cause her to lunge forward a bit further and do a non-negligible amount of damage, but not enough to justify the time spent charging. After the second second of charging, Lyn begins to blink around erratically, leaving afterimages wherever she goes. It’s difficult to hit her at this point, since her true position is constantly changing. Releasing the button here will cause her to lunge about two-thirds the distance of a Fox Illusion and hit all enemies in her way with a powerful 70 degree trajectory. If you keep charging, Lyn disappears completely, becoming invisible and invincible for a maximum of one additional second. When the button is released (or you charge to the maximum amount), Lyn reappears a good distance forward (the distance of a full Illusion or maybe a little further) and everyone between there and her starting position is hit for a devastating amount of damage and sent straight up with a great deal of force. This move can propel you off ledges, but it will not consume your jump like most moves of this nature. However, due to the starting and ending lag coupled with Lyn’s fast fall speed, it does not increase the length of her recovery.

Down B – Phantom Dash: Lyn vanishes, and an invincible transparent Lyn is seen dashing in every direction (five on the ground and eight in the air). An instant later, she reappears about a third of a Fox Illusion’s distance away in the inputted direction. If you don’t pick a direction, it goes forward on the ground and downward in the air by default. Virtually no starting or ending lag. It can be done a maximum of three times in quick succession. This counter resets after ten seconds of not doing any phantom dashes (so if you do it once, wait eight seconds, then do it again, you count as having done it twice and have to wait a whole other ten seconds for the counter to clear back to zero). Attempting to do any more beyond the third causes you to lunge forward uselessly, like a lone Ice Climber trying to Belay (though this won’t reset the 10 seconds). When the ten seconds are up, Lyn sparkles a bit as a subtle visual cue. Three Phantom Dashes followed by an up-B allows for the maximum possible recovery distance, though that entails not having used any recently in combat.

Final Smash – Sol Katti: In a flash of light, the Sol Katti appears in Lyn’s hand, and she delivers a critical strike onto a single unlucky foe. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3lAbkOaPANQ)

Statistics

Speed – 4: Lyn runs very quickly. Her attacks (aside from the Phantom Blade) have virtually no startup lag, though the sword strikes all require her to sheath it afterwards, causing slight ending lag. Her hand-to-hand attacks do not have this disadvantage, making them all very quick.

Power – 3: Lyn hits hard, but generally not abnormally so. She generally relies on her sword strikes for her KOs...the hand-to-hand attacks are faster but weaker.

Weight – 2: Lyn’s defense is poor, and she depends on avoiding attacks rather than enduring them. Can be easily knocked out of the stage if you aren’t careful.

Recovery (vertical/horizontal) – 5/2: Between her high second jump and the great distance covered by the Wind of Sacae, Lyn’s ability to recover vertically is fantastic. However, her ability to recover horizontally is not. She is almost entirely dependant on the Phantom Dash to gain horizontal distance, forcing the player to choose between using the Phantom Dash charges to aid in combat or saving them to augment her recovery. A horizontal recovery which burns all three Phantom Dashes is actually pretty decent, but if she has none left, she is all but guaranteed to fall.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Never played Lyn's game, but she looks really good in the screen captures. I think she's a little too similar to Marth, who I think is returning. Micaiah would be really good, being a magic user. After her, I think Sothe could make a good character: he's pretty ninja like with his dagger and throwing knives. Of course, anybody with an axe would make a good addition.

I think Sakurai has recognized that there a FE characters that don't just use swords. I hope to see some originality coming out of FE.

Also, this update makes me hopeful for Ike's final smash to be him summoning the Greil Mercenaries. It would be a mixture of Pit's Final and the Lyn AT.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
Aw, darnit. I really wanted to play Lyn -.- Smash Brothers needs more female sword fighters. And she looks so awesome in these screenshots too...

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
It would have been funn6y to do a New challenger sign only for the player to get you got fooled sign and have the player oooh so much more bitter than is. I liked Lyn, I wanted Lyn and I'm sad she's gone. However I expected it (she shares a role with Ephraim who are both in a lesser Fire Emblem game. I do hope Micaiah makes it (we need more new female characters besides Krystal). However I'd had rather have had Lyn (better a sword swinging girl than another magic girl, expecially since the sword is a japanese model).

Oh well, a last thought to Lyn

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=110890

And on to the new chance of female smashdom

Sir James

The Doctor
This is a pretty bad week for many people. So many hopes and dreams being shattered. I have a feeling Marth may make a return to take the "quick sword user" slot since Lyn has been made an Assist Trophy.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Never played Lyn's game, but she looks really good in the screen captures. I think she's a little too similar to Marth, who I think is returning.
Are you joking? Lyn is pretty much the only FE lord who ISN'T similar to Marth! That's why she would have been such a great choice. She may have a sword, but she has a totally unique fighting style.

Florida

イーグランツ
Wow, I can already predict Youko's title for this week's SMYN: "Deconfirmation!" :urg:
Lyn would've seriously made an awesome character, but same with Munchlax I guess.

PIT_IS_BACK

Smash Journeyman
:( this makes me sad, on a side note, anyone have a updated Lyn SSBB signature pic? Like the one in my sig....except it has ASSiST TROPHY

anyways ....this sucks *** but it does increase Hectors chance :)

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Oh pishaw, Apple-Imp. We know Sigurd's got zero chance as it is. Micaiah will be the third if there is any. ;O
Yeah he has zero chance alright. Being the most popular lord in Japan doesn't count for anything now does it. It's obvious that Sakurai is taking the Japan audience suggests more seriously than from those in the U.S. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sigurd.

-Knight

Florida

イーグランツ
3, 2, 1......
Ugh... 0, -1, -2...?
If anything this raises the chances of Black Knight, or other Fire Emblem characters that Lyn stood in front of. Sigurd is someone that I would like to see, also pretty likely since he's high up there with the Japaneese hopefuls. Although, Sakurai has been deconfirming a lot of hopeful characters lately.... both in JP and US :urg:

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
I take it back, actually. If marth made it in, a woman sword weilder could easily make it in, and still be more manly than marth.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Either Marth or Sigurd will be in the game, 100%. This has been obvious from day 1, as there's no way Sakurai would release the game without appeasing the Japanese audience. Since Ike looks like he's going to have a moveset very similar to Marth's, my money's on Sigurd (though quite frankly I can't see how to make him any different either).

The spot I was hoping Lyn would take is the spot for a lord that didn't come from the cookie-cutter mold that every game before FE7 used (a category that Marth, Sigurd, Roy, and Ike all fall into, among others). And assuming that Sakurai is only choosing characters from the list of lords, I think that Hector is the only other one from the entire series who could fill that role.

I mean, think about it.
Marth: Blue-haired guy with a really long slashing sword.
Sigurd: Blue-haired guy with a really long slashing sword.
Roy: Red-haired guy with a really long slashing sword.
Ike: Blue-haired guy with a really long slashing sword.
Black Knight: Armored guy with a really long slashing sword (not a lord, but people won't shut up about him).

None of them have any special abilities aside from Sigurd owning a spear (and he'd never use it over a sword in Brawl) and Ike's Aether. How much room is there for real creativity in designing movesets for any of these characters? You can do any one of them easily enough, but what could make the second one interesting? But then there's Lyn with a fighting style incredibly far removed from anyone else's, and of course Hector has a giant axe. In viewing Brawl as a fighting game rather than an outlet for Japanese FE fanservice, what excuse could there possibly be not to include one of them?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Although sad for FE fans, I do not think FE lords really can bring much more to the table then has already been brought. There are so many things one can dow ith a sword. Ike proves this by having very similar moves to Marth (though he can be a replacement).

Sure Lin might be faster. But it seems like Metaknight is going to be the quick swordman.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah he has zero chance alright. Being the most popular lord in Japan doesn't count for anything now does it. It's obvious that Sakurai is taking the Japan audience suggests more seriously than from those in the U.S. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sigurd.

-Knight
Popularity is nothing without substance. Sigurd offers nothing that Marth or Ike can't provide , outside of chucking a spear, and his moveset can't be based around that. Not to mention his game is long gone, and he's never shown up again.

Imagine FE being represented by three blue haired male sword users, and contemplate how dumb that would look.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Dammit! I was really hoping Lyn would make PC.

This does increase the chances of other Lords, though I'm not sure about Hector; Lyn could be included as the representative for FE7, which means no Hector. :(
Of the remaining Lords, I believe Sigurd from FE4 has the highest chance. He wields both a sword and lance, and I'm sure Sakurai could find a way to balance the two weapons in what could be an awesome moveset. Or, he could just pick Ephraim the lancer from FE8 for a "pure" lance character. And there's always the chance of Marth returning, though I highly doubt Roy will. And if the Black Knight is in, he'll probably be a boss.

shanus

Smash Hero
Although sad for FE fans, I do not think FE lords really can bring much more to the table then has already been brought. There are so many things one can dow ith a sword. Ike proves this by having very similar moves to Marth (though he can be a replacement).

Sure Lin might be faster. But it seems like Metaknight is going to be the quick swordman.
QFT, I really dont think including so many FE characters would be a great idea. Although B specials may vary, the amount of variability Sak could make with the aerials and tilts/smashes would be little if any. We dont want more clones in this game, but unique, well-defined characters. Sure, she is a cool person in her game, but with Ike (and most likely, Marth), being in the game, I wouldnt see her as a unique fit. Keep in mind this is coming from a Falco player, so I know the implications for what I'm saying

Top Bottom