• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New update has altered engine and reduced input lag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub255

Smash Rookie
First, hello everyone. I am a forum lurker who has been frequenting smashboards for a while now. I am not a troll, I just haven't had a valid reason to post until now and have been content to simply take in information.

I play many different genres of games and

*DISCLAIMER*
I am not some noob playing on a laggy monitor who just switched to a CRT. I am playing on one of the best , lowest response time LCD monitors money can buy: The BENQXL2411Z (Lag is about 9ms, almost as low as A CRT)

http://www.displaylag.com/benq-xl2420g-144hz-g-sync-gaming-monitor-review/ - This is not my monitor, however they are extremely similar, monitor in the review has about 9 ms of input lag

I have about 3 weeks playtime (in game time spent) in Smash 4...during this time I have developed muscle memory with many characters. As soon as I played with the new update something felt off.

I am calling this now, the new sm4sh update has somehow made some (unlisted) changes to the game engine that makes it a much more smoother, enjoyable experience with less input lag.

The difference for me is immediately noticeable. It appears they have somehow reduced input lag and increased the general fluidity and response time of the game engine. Moves and inputs seem to come out noticeably quicker now, and the game in general is much smoother.

It feels much easier to connect with certain moves and combo into them.

I can reliably dthrow into luigi's SJP now, something that was very difficult for me to do before.

Load time also seems to be lowered significantly and the game boots up faster then me (I play off of a usb hard drive).

Alas , atm I currently lack a 2nd Wii u to test between them. If anyone else has noticed this change in fluidity please post here!

I tested with every character and almost every move to make sure it wasn't just placebo bias or specific character buffs.

On another note, pausing the game and using the camera seems to be more fluid now for the majority of non graphically intensive stages, I think this is further proof of the optimization.

TLDR: Smash 4 basically feels like a different game. The input lag has been lowered so drastically that it feels like playing a whole new game! Please post your experiences!

*DISCLAIMER*

I know im going to get called out for this being placebo, trust me its not. I play multiple genres of games at 144hz on PC and after playing at high frame rates for a while you become very, very sensitive to input lag.

For PC gamers who have AMD cards, the new graphic driver update seems to have also heavily reduced input lag for almost every game.

Its a great time to be a gamer overall!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Luigi's Up-B has a significant hitbox increase in the most recent patch. Other characters have been buffed in ways that help; for example, Marth and Lucina has lower landing lag on all of their aerials.

You're probably just imagining things in relation to playing on Wii U. The only thing that I can imagine would have changed that could cause this is if they took away the "only one input can be buffered at a time" limitation from before.

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
well, if you look at the patch notes, alot of frame data on end lag has been reduced and alot of angles for moves have been tweaked. Noticeable, WIiFit trainor is the most affected by this new patch.

P.S. you dont have to tell us your credentials too much about not being a noob. if you mentioned it in just 1 or 2 lines, it should be good, but I doubt anyone cares that much. you're a sm4sh player and thats all i need. and the thing is that too much background info takes away the focus of your findings.

btw, the ironic thing of the TL;DR, I didn't read it, but i read everything else. what you say is important, you dont need a TL;DR meme

Raijinken

Smash Master
I also feel like loadtimes have improved, but that's all I'd vouch for. It would make sense for them to do some optimization each patch, though, so I wouldn't completely discount the idea.

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I don't know if it was an engine change or something else, but ever since the update, every single character I've played feels moderately faster. It might be too much to hope for, but perhaps Samurai is trying...something? I mean, he basically gave us Melee Marth through Roy, he brought back Lucas and improved him, a character much loved in Project M, and straight up gave us a character from a traditional fighting game, complete with fighting game inputs and everything. Maybe he's testing the waters with a few competetively-geared changes, and is preparing us for something much bigger?

...nah, probably not.

plz samurai

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I noticed this, too... Something felt incredibly different about general playing, especially when I played Luigi, but it could be becase he got a few frame changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom