• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tournament videos of Sethlon.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
Wow, a Falco that actually knows how to use him (Like me).

Which tournament was this?

EDIT: I just watched the whole video and now have come to noticed that Sethlon doesn't actually know how to rack up damage by any other means other than chain-grabs and SH-down-tilts.

Its pretty sad because phantasms are great for racking up damage as well, because you can space your opponent to then shoot more lasers. Something he should consider doing more often, because he always seems to use phantasms at a time his play can easily be read.

In fact, he actually has no other kind of approach other than short hops and down-tilts and was absolutely getting owned by the MK in the second fight. MK is hard to fight close-combat, espeicially with Falco, but seriously... that was ridiculous.

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
If you feel you're so much better than him why not post videos of you own skill?

BEES

Smash Lord
I'm not seeing any of this 'getting owned by Metaknight' you're referring to. Quite the contrary from the looks of it. Seth did pretty much everything right. He could've thrown out a b-air or reflector to stop those mach tornados, but saying they're very hard to anticipate is an understatement.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

EDIT: I just watched the whole video and now have come to noticed that Sethlon doesn't actually know how to rack up damage by any other means other than chain-grabs and SH-down-tilts.

Its pretty sad because phantasms are great for racking up damage as well, because you can space your opponent to then shoot more lasers. Something he should consider doing more often, because he always seems to use phantasms at a time his play can easily be read.

In fact, he actually has no other kind of approach other than short hops and down-tilts and was absolutely getting owned by the MK in the second fight. MK is hard to fight close-combat, espeicially with Falco, but seriously... that was ridiculous.
Sorry, but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Why do people insist on boosting thier egos?

khoasgotrice

Smash Cadet
I'm not seeing any of this 'getting owned by Metaknight' you're referring to. Quite the contrary from the looks of it. Seth did pretty much everything right. He could've thrown out a b-air or reflector to stop those mach tornados, but saying they're very hard to anticipate is an understatement.
i see it, sethlon could have lost those matches if that MK didnt give him a free kill, not saying hes bad cuz no doubt that sethlon is good. but just pointing it out for you

Quetz

Smash Rookie
MK only really messed up on the second fight, but during that fight he was also abusing the tornado pretty heavily. ( <<<<Pretty sure this statement makes me look noob. Confirmation?)

I also see him phantasming into tornados quite a bit, the other option being dropping a few more feet and grabbing the ledge. I don't have extensive experience against any good MK players, so there could be a reason for this, just something that struck me as odd.

Video 3- LOVED the first stock. WOW @ your second stock though, got screwed there.....Great comeback in the end though, well done.

Overall, Seth plays a lot like me. Just, well, better.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for posting Hylian. I watched these as well as a few others yesterday, and Seth is by far the best Brawl Falco I've seen so far. He has a knack for coming back when the odds are against him. Bombsoldier seems pretty good too from the two vids I've seen of him, but I have to say that at this point Seth takes the cake.

Also, EYB, you should know better than to put others down without being able to prove your own skill. vids or GTFO.

BEES

Smash Lord
Seth got one free kill in all the fights, and also gave one away (3rd fight). It's pretty clear he was playing stronger even if he got lucky in the 2nd one.

Rat

Smash Lord
Good stuff.
I especially liked 2:05 in the first one. Jab and wait for something stupid so you can fsmash. It makes me happy.

A few questions:
At 4:15 and 7:04 in the first vid, you Daired the front of MK's shield and he missed a shield grab. Is this something only specific to MK and those with Short grab ranges?
You Dthrow after every grab, why? It seemed really bad, like post 50% the Dthrow only comboed if they DI'd in.

I'm stealing some of your tricks though. The run off to immediate overB is nice. FJ lasers to land on a platform then over B to the other on, also nice. The last kill was sweet to, I've never thought of connecting early Nair to Usmash. Some other stuff was good too.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman

Wow you are full of it... *sighs*

Sethlon is one of the few Falcos in brawl that actually know what they are doing.

Please show your mad skillz on video and no starting johnfests.

[SAVED SPACE FOR REVIEW IN A BIT]

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I think if I had to place one criticism of Sethlon, it's that he seemed unwilling (or perhaps unable) to break from using Phantasm for recovery. On at least two occasions between those videos (rare, but they existed), he could have used B-up to wait out MK who had already started using his Mach Tornado, and perhaps score some hits. I don't know if up-B outprioritizes Mach Tornado, but darn it, it would have reduced the time he spent eating it, and could have at least thrown off MK's timing.

I appreciate that building reflexes into Phantasm has really good payoff, as it is overwhelmingly the correct move for recovery. But I've seen some other players, and I think Sethlon is one of them, that are. . . limited, it seems, in not considering the up-B move enough.

This criticism is stated humbly, but no less sincerely than for any claim which I genuinely believe.

Also, Sethlon's pwnage of Dr.Drew's Lucas is the reason I picked up Falco. I saw him do 0-119 without dmg, eventually K.O.'ing on 19, and was like "Yeah I'll take that hotness." :chuckle:

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I've always been impressed by Seth's Falco, though only for two (albeit crucial) things: spacing and incredibly well-placed used of lasers. The gap that I see between his Falco and mine is definitely his sense for when to use lasers, the proper spacing, and aiming of the shots. He does a really good job even at point blank range of getting the right jump height, setting up the stun, and putting himself in an excellent position to KO or combo. These videos are impressive. There's still a lot more to see in Falco's metagame, but Seth is definitely blazing a trail right now.

Rat

Smash Lord
Im excited to see if someone can play a smart aggressive falco. I can't, it's mostly control and interception but like I was to see if it's possible.

Also Sethlon's earlier video made me want to play falco. I think my words were "that's ****. I'm plaing falco."

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer

Chain grabs and dairs (which i believe is what you mean by short hop dtilts?) are his best damage rackers :lick: A single grab at the start of a stock is an easy 40%, sometimes a good deal more.

I phantasm enough as it it T_T And metaknight is small and runs fast, so its hard to play keep away with lasers.

I think if I had to place one criticism of Sethlon, it's that he seemed unwilling (or perhaps unable) to break from using Phantasm for recovery.
Well, really, the phantasm is better then the firebird. It goes farther and recovers faster...the fire bird just screams "come hit me while i'm chargin mah fires!", and metaknight especially can chase off the stage without any fear or bad things happening to him. Even if you do firebird successfully, now you're on the edge of the stage, which usually calls for a phantasm to get you back on your feet.

Granted, though, I phantasm'd into his tornado waaaay too many times :( I kept thinking I was gonna go through it, lol, and I was also afraid of him hugging the edge if I went for that and taking a free stock.

A few questions:
At 4:15 and 7:04 in the first vid, you Daired the front of MK's shield and he missed a shield grab. Is this something only specific to MK and those with Short grab ranges?
You Dthrow after every grab, why? It seemed really bad, like post 50% the Dthrow only comboed if they DI'd in.
The little shield dair trick works on everyone, from what i've seen :) You just have to space it really well. (It might nor work on characters with super awesome grab range though, like Dedede.)

Three reasons why I always dthrow:
1. It does the best damage (although not by too much, only 1% more than b-throw *shrug*)
2. Falco's throws have pretty much nil for knockback, so you can't really rely on a throw to put people off the edge (although maybe f-throw would be good to mix up their DI)
3. You can work a dthrow at high percents to get a hit or two if you predict your opponent right. If they DI in, free nair. If they DI away, you can run in and grab them after they airdodge, or running attack (which will often hit them even if they dodge).

Upthrow might be good to get them above you, but the lasers from the throw pretty much always miss at high percent =/

Oh, and I pulled that nair -> upsmash out of my ***, lol, I'd never done or even thought of doing that before in my life.

Thanks for props guys :) Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion

You have no clue what you are talking about. Shut up.

Popertop

Smash Champion
when I was watching the end of the third video, I was like, "oooh, if he chases that airdodge with another aerial..."
then you chained the nair and the upsmash and I was like, "Seth combo anyone?"

Iwan

Smash Ace

My god...lol could you critique in other ways...maybe in more contructive ways, because you sound like an *** in that post man...

Also, he's one of the better (arguably best) falco player as of now, and he plays very, very differently depending on what character he's playing. So instead of assuming that's the only way he plays and approaches, go watch some of his other videos and you'll notice that he changes his game up (just like good players do) depending on the match up.

On topic though...

Seth...can't help but notice you didn't use your deflector...almost never. I think you used it one time. Just curious...why not throw it in a little more? It's one of the best spacing moves in the entire game. Very well done though overall and nice falco man.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Blad01

Smash Lord
No need to flame... Even if SmashNoobthing made me laugh :p

Seriously, Sethlon is very good, i learned some little things from his vids. MK is a hard fight, so you have all my congratulations ! ;D (Even if your opponent didn't seem as experimented as you are ^^).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Fun facts:

I am 1-1 with Sethlon in tournament sets. But his Falco has only beaten me 1 game out of those two sets :).

Sethlon and I are teammates, and probably the only pro melee players in texas that actally like brawl XD.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Fun facts:

I am 1-1 with Sethlon in tournament sets. But his Falco has only beaten me 1 game out of those two sets :).

Sethlon and I are teammates, and probably the only pro melee players in texas that actally like brawl XD.
lol i'm sure roy wants a word dude!

EDIT: also im taking both you guys down tomorrow XD

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Seth...can't help but notice you didn't use your deflector...almost never. I think you used it one time. Just curious...why not throw it in a little more? It's one of the best spacing moves in the entire game. Very well done though overall and nice falco man.
I was wondering that as well, actually. I know very little about falco, but whenever I play him I've always found his reflector great in most all situations. Certainly it shouldn't be spammed, but is there any particular reason why he didn't use it at all?

There were times when he was close enough to hit MK with reflector, but instead he ran in closer where he then missed/got attacked.

I assume there is a good reason for this, but what is it?

Rat

Smash Lord
I can give reasons not to reflector.

1) Long as bawls. It get's punished hard.
2) Only really effective 50% of the time (stupid not tripping)
3) Minimal Damage.

I promote occasional usage, and safe sex.

But then again i'm not all that great so just do what works.

JordPWN

Smash Cadet
Just curious as to your controller configuration, Sethlon. Care to share? :3

Valken

Smash Apprentice

It's not your fault that you're so incredibly wrong. You've just never been involved in high level play. Sethlon's Falco is Mach Diesel. Against a Meta Knight much of Falco's moves become null and void. You can't edge guard well against him, nor can you spike him. His Up B destroys your spike and to attempt to spike him is a Noob's mistake. Sethlon knows what to avoid and what not to try on a good Meta Knight. Therefor he played very safe and took his time. And guess what, it worked. He won.

Sethlon, I have a question for you.

You seem to always dthrow to the edge and attempt the spike even though it doesn't work at those percents. If I get a chain grab I usually just go for two grabs and after the second Dthrow I do a dash/usmash. It's a guaranteed 40 some odd percent ever time. I only do this if I'm not guaranteed the Spike. Is this a good technique or is it just always better to attempt the chain grab to dair?

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Valken, I obviously can't speak for Seth, but when I play Falco, I follow my last dthrow at the edge with a dair most of the time even if I have very little chance of it hitting. It's just a decent enough threat to force your opponent to stay low. /shrug

Valken

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, I just re read my post. I definitely worded that very wrong.

What I meant was if the chain grab won't reach the edge or by the time it does they are definitely not going to die from the dair. I was just wondering if he does the same thing I do in those circumstances. I noticed he kept spiking MK even though he kept recovering from it.

Just curious, that's all.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Very nice matches Seth. I don't think you are better than bombsoldier yet, but you play a very good falco. Keep it up man.

BEES

Smash Lord
I don't think there is actually much people can do to punish your reflector, if they're beyond a certain distance. They can roll past it, but they can't jab out of a roll since they're facing in the wrong direction. So I'd expect them to dsmash or roll again to correct their orientation, and jab. Neither of which should be fast enough to punish you.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Seth you play an amazing Falco. The matches between you and Hylian today as well as a few others (Stiltz, etc.) were very intense. Love seeing the chain grabs. I'm just sad I didn't get to play in any friendlies with you.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, Sethlon just got 2nd at the biggest brawl tournament in texas. He lost to me :). We played 15 game against each other in tournament and they were all recorded. Expect to see lots more of seth's falco when they get uploaded ^_^.

Also, we got 1st in teams ^_^.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Yep I was there watching haha. That was TWO close sets in the grand finals. Gratz on the win Hylian.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
great falco

I feel as if there could have been more bairs though

and does the shine out prioritize the mach tornado?

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
Your the ***ing idiot. All I was saying was there were a few points where Seth was using SH down-tilt so often that it became extremely predictable and MK was just sheilding, sheilding, sheilding and MK got a lot of percent out of it. Luckily Sethlon ledge grabbed and made MK die at a low percent which made things even again and I'm pretty sure Seth won the game anyway.

I repeat, I was just pointing out that Sethlon was using his down-tilt airs far too much that they became so predictable that the MK was just benefiting from it. Constructively, I just meant that Seth should mix it up a little bit more with other attacks when the down airs don't seem to be working. This happened like two or three times... it was just really noticable at one single point in the game... And maybe I didn't describe what I was trying to say properly.

Btw, I do know how to play Falco properly... for those of you who said I don't know anything/I'm stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom