• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to the Smash Series: could use some advice

Hungerr

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Im totally new to the Smash series, i 've never played any of them b4. I bought SSB4 for WII U, and im starting to read all kind of guides and articles to make my learning curve as short as possible.

I have read that making a "main" character is a great choice for actually learning everything about the move skillsets.

1) What character would you recommend that i "main" as a beginner to the game? Any characters both "easy " to learn and still competitive?

2) Would you recommend buying wii u pro controller to play the game?? ( is it more confortable over the gamepad controller? )

3) Do you guys use right stick to perform smash moves or do you prefer using flickin + A?

4) wich of the "solo"modes should i foces on first?? Classic?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking their time in responding

Last edited:

ZachGamr

Smash Rookie
1) Make sure to unlock all the characters and stages, playing all of the characters agasint level 9 cpu's is a good start to make a main. Pick who you like best, we all play differently.

2. Try to pick up the gamecube controller and the adapter, if not the pro controller is a good second best. The gamepad is fine but the pro controller is probably second best in your situation.

3. Depends on the controller.

4. Solo modes? play classic, and play alot of of just regualr smash agasint level 9's also playing smash run unlocks trophys and custom moves, try not to get to aquainted to equipment since their banned in tourneys and not many people like playing woth or against it. But custom moves are nice.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask. GL HF.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
1. If you're new to SSB, then I would recommend you just try playing around for a while, using different people until you find one you like. Everyone feels comfortable with different things, and the roster has a huge amount of variety. Plus the game is fairly well balanced, so pretty much anyone is competitive. If you're looking for some of the most balanced standard (gimmick-free) characters, though, I would recommend :4pit:, :4mario:, and :4link:. They all have a nice variety of physical and projectile attacks, plus Pit and Mario have reflectors for their down specials. If you find the jumping and recovering aspect of SSB a little difficult, then I would highly recommend Pit as your starting character. Otherwise I would say any of those 3 are good intro characters. Link's got nice range, and Mario has some fairly easy combos you can learn to rack up damage.

2. I like the Wii U Pro better than the Gamepad, but it's not that much better, imo. If you have the cash I would say it's worth the investment, but it's by no means required to enjoy the game.

3. I prefer using A for smash attacks, but that might just be because the 3DS version trained me to do that.

4. The solo modes are really up to personal preference. I would recommend trying to unlock all the characters and stages first. You can get several characters (as well as fighter trophies) through playing Classic, so that would be a good place to start. Or you can just unlock the characters through Smash battles. Event mode will net you some new stages, so that's cool. Otherwise, though, it's pretty much up to your whim. Different people like different games. They will all be good practice at first, so test them out and play what you like. That said, I would also recommend trying to play with some friends to get a feel for facing human opponents (also, it's loads of fun with friends).

Raijinken

Smash Master
1) What character would you recommend that i "main" as a beginner to the game? Any characters both "easy " to learn and still competitive?

Mario is the most rounded, but really, any of the eight default characters from the original Smash Bros game would be good starters, since they're more or less the basis. Those would be: :4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4fox::4kirby::4pikachu:

2) Would you recommend buying wii u pro controller to play the game?? ( is it more confortable over the gamepad controller? )

Use whatever controller you find most comfortable. Many veterans prefer the Gamecube controller. I haven't used the Pro Controller myself, but I hear it's a very good alternative. It definitely looks more comfortable for long periods of time than the gamepad.

3) Do you guys use right stick to perform smash moves or do you prefer using flickin + A?

I use both, it just depends on the scenario. I'm also a weirdo and in past games managed to charge a c-stick smash (that didn't work in past games)

I personally suggest doing all of the single-player content. I'm a completionist, so that's basically a required step for me. Especially as a newcomer, playing through with all of the characters can teach you at least the basics of each of them, both as enemies and as your character. It'll also introduce you to numerous stages and items.

As mentioned above, very few players use Equipment due to its highly random and unbalanced nature. Custom moves are great, though. Just play whatever is most fun for you.

Grass

Smash Lord
Hey guys! Im totally new to the Smash series, i 've never played any of them b4. I bought SSB4 for WII U, and im starting to read all kind of guides and articles to make my learning curve as short as possible.

I have read that making a "main" character is a great choice for actually learning everything about the move skillsets.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking their time in responding
1) If you're new, stick with Little Mac, he's fairly easy to use.

2) No, get an adapter for Gamecube controllers.

3.) I mostly use A and have been since Smash 64 so...

4.) Focus* and I recommend Classic because it will give you an idea of how to deal with opponents early on.

Top Bottom