• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
And when do Sheik's ever use burst grenade?
I generally see ZeRo and Mr. R do it when opponents jump away offstage and they're already falling/without jumps. It forces them to grab the ledge earlier and maybe frame trap their options from it, or just follow them offstage to try for some stuff. I think of it as a "Well I can't follow them and I won't get punished for this so might as well" kind of move, at least if needles are already fully charged.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Some of the better Sheiks will use the Burst Grenade to cover their stage landing, using the Burst Grenade and then grabbing the ledge. Something else you can do with is trap the ledge with it, forcing an option from the ledge and covering the standard getup options very effectively. Using the grenade when you don't have the positioning to go off-stage for an edgeguard and positioning it off-stage can be useful to block or otherwise limit certain recoveries.

edit: it's also a very effective SD tool if you ever find yourself in need of an SD

Last edited:

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
What moves hit an opponent on the ledge with no invulnerability? I find myself down-smashing but it doesn't do me any good. With the gameplay mechanics of Smash 4 I feel like not punishing regrabs is putting me behind.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What moves hit an opponent on the ledge with no invulnerability? I find myself down-smashing but it doesn't do me any good. With the gameplay mechanics of Smash 4 I feel like not punishing regrabs is putting me behind.
dtilt, dair, and I wanna say aerial needles but I've yet to test that. Dair can spike if you have your back to the ledge.

Dtilt > Uair is a true combo and a kill setup from ledge invulnerability (and in general).

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know this may be a weird question but...

:4mario:,:4luigi:,:4drmario:,:4ganondorf:,:4bowserjr:,:4villager:,:4ness:,:4lucas:

Which of these characters do you guys think gives Sheik the most trouble? I'm just curious since I main :4wario2: and his MU with Sheik is heavily in the latter's favor. Do any of these characters have a better shot with Sheik than Wario?

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I like sticking with my main and trying to overcome the bad matchups, but if you feel really unconfortable then Ness has a better shot of all your secondaries against Sheik.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Ness and Mario, but I don't see why you're willing to use any of those over Wario against Sheik. Wario is hella scary if you can keep up with Sheik because the fart kills so damn early and Wario doesn't lose his charge inbetween stocks. We have to play flawlessly to not get hit by the fart.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I'd do Wario vs Sheik like arikado said

though Mario vs sheik is good too if you're uncomfortable in the matchup, I wouldn't do ness

ShinRamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
KoRShin
Of the characters listed, I think Villager and Mario do the best. Wario can do it, though it is a losing struggle, since there's very little Wario can do about a Sheik that's patient in shield.

jset818

Smash Cadet
This is gonna seem like a silly question but how do pros like Zero and Mr. R do their SH fair FF strings so fast. Do they use the c-stick to do aerials? I know some players do.

Diner

Smash Rookie
What should i be doing in the neutral? I've tried things like needle camping(which seems best but doesnt put me in a good position), short hop fast falling a ton with some fairs(which they just roll past), and just standing there waiting to see what they do. Plz help :(

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
This is gonna seem like a silly question but how do pros like Zero and Mr. R do their SH fair FF strings so fast. Do they use the c-stick to do aerials? I know some players do.
Pretty sure they both (and everyone I know including myself, for that matter) use control stick + A for their fair strings.

HardcoreSteamy

Smash Rookie
How do you get out of Marios u-tilt combo at low %s? Or should I just try and space him out until he can't do that?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
How do you get out of Marios u-tilt combo at low %s? Or should I just try and space him out until he can't do that?
Generally speaking you shouldn't try to get grabbed easily but everyone makes mistakes. At 0%, DI down and shield/roll away. At higher percents (10% or more) DI up/away and try to double jump or use nair.

NeonShadowz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsIve
I've seen a lot of youtube videos that talk about advanced techniques for Sheik, but I can't seem to find any that go in-depth about doing the Arial Needle to bouncing fish combo. Any tips?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I've seen a lot of youtube videos that talk about advanced techniques for Sheik, but I can't seem to find any that go in-depth about doing the Arial Needle to bouncing fish combo. Any tips?
It tends to work at high percents from a full hop, and the trick is to release the needles as soon as you jump. This is where assigning jump and/or Special to a trigger really comes in handy.

Last edited:

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
Is there a list of whose grabs Sheik can duck under? I remember the video detailing everything she can duck under but is there a list for quick reference anywhere?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Is there a list of whose grabs Sheik can duck under? I remember the video detailing everything she can duck under but is there a list for quick reference anywhere?
I'm gonna write up a table covering the attacks/grabs she can avoid by crouching for just this reason. Tree's video is great, but it can be a real help to see everything laid out in text.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
You jump so that the toss goes over them, and the wind pulls them into the explosion. Check out _tree's video, it shows how.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hello, I'm just recently trying to learn Sheik. I've always mained defensive-style characters, and this would be my first try at using a pressure-heavy character with tons of options at its disposal and barely no lag, lol.
So, anyways, Iv'e been in Training Mode all day long since I realized, after watching a video by ZeRo where he says that the better the Sheik player, the more he'll get from a single hit confirm, that it's super important to know how to do those f-air strings that carry opponents all over the stage in order to get the most out of Sheik's combo game (along with an efficient use of Bouncing Fish); however, I'm not sure what's the most efficient way to input these f-air strings. I usually use the C-stick to space aerials, and I found that's the best way to input a "combo starter" f-air, but the following f-airs are much faster to do by sliding my thumb from the X (jump) button to the A button; however, I'm not sure if I must fast fall each f-air in order for them to combo better, or if it's better to just buffer each f-air to come after their normal landing. How do you guys input your f-air strings/combos?
Also, I have watched several videos of ZeRo using Sheik, and I found that sometimes he's charging needles and somehow he just dashes towards the other player and grabs. How do you cancel needles into a regular dash? As far as I know, the only way to do that is if the needles got fully charged; otherwise, if you input a direction while charging needles you get a roll. What are all the ways to cancel a needle charge?
Thank you in advance!
For fair: Generally speaking the best way to do it is to short hop with Y (or X, whatever your jam is) and slide the finger to A while holding the control stick forward, then fastfalling instantly. Rinse and repeat for the fair chains.

However for spacing Fair on shield it's a lot easier to do if you set up your C stick to tilts and use that to space it on shield while retreating forwards.

As for the needle cancels, the charge can be cancelled by pressing the shield button. Can also be cancelled in the air with an airdodge.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
My main problem fighting Sheik is always the same thing. I can't approach, and I can't wait for the Sheik to approach (Needles). Just for reference, I mostly use Roy and Sonic. What am I doing wrong here, and what should I be doing.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
My main problem fighting Sheik is always the same thing. I can't approach, and I can't wait for the Sheik to approach (Needles). Just for reference, I mostly use Roy and Sonic. What am I doing wrong here, and what should I be doing.
You can run up shield as Sonic and punish needle throw, he's fast enough to do that. You're also probably better off asking mains of ur characters cuz I don't play them, but Sonics always manage to find a way around needles when I fight them. I can't remember specifically though cuz I don't play him.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
You're also probably better off asking mains of ur characters cuz I don't play them
The reason I ask here is because they have the same Issues as me

sKam11

Smash Rookie
NNID
2GIGABYTES
I'm a new sheik main and i was wondering if their are any things I need to know. For example what are her bread and butter combos? How do you cancel needle in mid air? Help me.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
As for the needle cancels, the charge can be cancelled by pressing the shield button. Can also be cancelled in the air with an airdodge.
But, in summary, isn't there a way to cancel needle charge into a dash (aside from getting a full charge)?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
But, in summary, isn't there a way to cancel needle charge into a dash (aside from getting a full charge)?
You can't directly cancel into a dash. You have to cancel the needle charge (with shield button) then dash.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
And understand that "press shield" doesn't mean to make the shield actually come up. If you press and release your shield button quickly enough, you'll just cancel and stand still.

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
And understand that "press shield" doesn't mean to make the shield actually come up. If you press and release your shield button quickly enough, you'll just cancel and stand still.
Should we refer to this as "Press light shield" or "Tap light Shield" to remove the need for explanation every time? (Although an initial explanation of the term will be needed). It's the same input as light-shielding in Melee, so I thought it could fit.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Should we refer to this as "Press light shield" or "Tap light Shield" to remove the need for explanation every time? (Although an initial explanation of the term will be needed). It's the same input as light-shielding in Melee, so I thought it could fit.
Well, it isn't an analog input; it's all about how long it's pressed, rather than how hard/soft. Light shielding is performed by only partially pressing L/R, while needles are canceled by pressing the button fast, like a short hop.

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Well, it isn't an analog input; it's all about how long it's pressed, rather than how hard/soft. Light shielding is performed by only partially pressing L/R, while needles are canceled by pressing the button fast, like a short hop.
Hmm...You're right. I don't really want to try introduce a totally new term either since this game is already swamped with silly classifications. Bleh. I guess we'll leave it as is.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I found out about this using a custom stage with two close walls

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I thought this was common knowledge .-.

ShinRamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
KoRShin
I think I first found out about that when using sheik in classic 9.0 vs the blades form of master core haha.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Can you guys guaranteed punish a pika d-tilt on shield, or is it a mix up situation?

Top Bottom