• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to 64

TheMarthRunner

Smash Cadet
NNID
reallemon
Hey guys, I have played melee, brawl and ssb4 for over a decade now, but never 64. I am on a mid-competitive skill level on all other smash games, what should I know about 64 to make me a better competive player? I already know Z cancel and tech and stuff, but is there anything specific to 64? what chatacters are good? Why?

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman

M4TT

Smash Cadet
Theres literally too much to explain. If your starting out I would recommend chosing a high tier character thats not too hard to learn

Annex

Smash Ace
I already know Z cancel and tech and stuff, but is there anything specific to 64?
Shield jumping/dropping should be as automatic as teching and z-cancelling (since you get free invincibility frames). Pivoting is a biggie. DI/SDI/PI (whatever you want to call it) is big too. Here's a great place to get started learning tech & stuff.

For characters, Kirby and Falcon are the easiest to pick up and see immediate success with, especially since you have a useful background.

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Hey guys, I have played melee, brawl and ssb4 for over a decade now, but never 64. I am on a mid-competitive skill level on all other smash games, what should I know about 64 to make me a better competive player? I already know Z cancel and tech and stuff, but is there anything specific to 64? what chatacters are good? Why?
Link and Mario are the easiest characters to use, with Mario being the more reliable character since he's good in the air and the ground. If you don't think he's strong enough try Luigi. He's a clone of Mario but his up b is much stronger at the beginning of the move and he's better in the air since he floats a little more. If you want a heavier character go with Fox or DK.

Top Bottom