• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique for Falco (IAP) and Personal Assessment

Do you find IAP a useful technique for Falco in Sm4sh?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retalvio

Smash Rookie
New Technique:
First off IAP stands for Instant Air Phantasm. In Sm4sh Falco's Phantasm has longer start up and recovery when used on the ground compared to his air Phantasm. Here is a link to a video demonstrating the difference (attach this to youtube url since I have not yet posted 10 posts) /watch?v=6Ks4NtR2ydU&list=WL (sorry for lack of capture card or too much of an in depth video analysis of this hopefully with one of you guys out there we can get a video to better explain it than I can.) I have tried IAP with Fox but unfortunately the recovery/start up time on it is still the same as the ground version as far as I can tell, and not as significant as Falco's use for this technique.

Personal Assessment:
Falco in this iteration of the Smash Bros. series had his play style changed from rush down character to a patient punisher and more analytical. I would dare say a semi-zoner. I say this cause my general play style whilst playing Falco in this game usually consists of keeping my enemy within a space that is about the range of a single fox trot, and/or the length of a full range D-Tilt (Down Tilt).

Things to keep in mind while playing (Sm4sh) Falco:
Kill potential moves - Last hit of F-Air (Foward Air)
Sweet Spot of Down Tilt
B-Air (Back Air)
B-Throw (Back Throw), this one has a special requirement of having the follow up hit (blaster) having to make contact also only works if the initial throw sends the enemy off screen without the follow up hit

Tilts - Use your tilts constantly, they are Falco's best friend(s)

It is also OKAY to use your reflector as an attack in this game as actually a means of spacing. It has knock back on hit, and shield, although it takes time to get used to when it's a safe option to use against the character match up so use it situationally.

Hope you guys find this any bit useful.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this should really help out my Falco play. Thanks for the find!

Retalvio

Smash Rookie
There is no mention of it on the smash wiki (http : / / supersmashbros. wikia . com/wiki/Falco_Phantasm#Falco_Phantasm) also when I researched if it was known widely, I could not find a mention of this anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong @ Beetle Juice Beetle Juice but could you show me any proof of that (all I found was just Phantasm cancelling but no mentions of short hop Phantasms reducing recovery frames)? Also in Sm4sh if you input the IAP fast enough (which isn't hard to do) there is no lag to the short hop phantasm. it just reads 1 frame to register the short hop/forward momentum then the start up on the phantasm itself is the same but the recovery lag is much shorter.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
This is not an AT and not new either. Aerial phantasms are quicker in start time and end lag (landing lag mostly) for both falco and fox.

We don't really need proof, because this was a core day one thing for both characters in Brawl. Bread and butter tier stuff.
And it's not instant, simply quicker. There is still end lag which is the reason an AT that reduced it would be great, but that hasn't been found. It still is limited in use due to that.

Last edited:

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
There is no mention of it on the smash wiki (http : / / supersmashbros. wikia . com/wiki/Falco_Phantasm#Falco_Phantasm) also when I researched if it was known widely, I could not find a mention of this anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong @ Beetle Juice Beetle Juice but could you show me any proof of that (all I found was just Phantasm cancelling but no mentions of short hop Phantasms reducing recovery frames)? Also in Sm4sh if you input the IAP fast enough (which isn't hard to do) there is no lag to the short hop phantasm. it just reads 1 frame to register the short hop/forward momentum then the start up on the phantasm itself is the same but the recovery lag is much shorter.
Look up Sethlon's falco in brawl on Youtube, its one of the best examples, also if you played brawl falco and smash 4 falco you can feel the difference between the two. Short hop phantasm should be implemented more, it works great vs lil mac. I do look forward to new ATs for falco because he really needs one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom