• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tech discovered, hesitant on releasing it

ConcernedCitizen

Smash Rookie
In the last few days, I discovered a new series of actions in which if they are performed frame perfect with only 1 frame of allowable error, the player will have a significant reward. If the player misses too many frames, the opponent can usually punish by taking a stock.

Any character can perform these actions, but there's only a few characters that can perform these actions to yield large benefits. Of the select people I've disclosed this so, none of them knew it was an option and all of them had the reaction of "This is significant". I would not be surprised if a few players and (especially) PMDT know about it, but after doing some searching, I can neither find a thread about this trick nor find any evidence of this maneuver being used in competitive videos on youtube.

The reason I'm being so vague about this is because I'm torn over whether to talk in detail about this maneuver. I'm afraid PMDT will nerf, ie remove, this maneuver as an option. From a particular point of view, this maneuver's potential benefits are so high, that the potential negative effects are irrelevant, therefore it must be either nerfed or removed entirely. To be more specific, this point of view comes from an assumption that top players are going to be frame perfect, making this maneuver always beneficial, and therefore the opponent has no options to cover this maneuver (I would counter that the opponent has 2 solid options to counteract the maneuver assuming the player is frame perfect and the opponent has a decent reaction time). While I don't think PMDT has this exact mindset, I do feel that several individuals on PMDT sympathize with this mindset, given they're blog posts and past change logs. In particular, this maneuver can possibly be categorized under "Tools that mitigate positional advantage" and "Tools that provide excessive burst movement without appropriate risk" (referring to PMDT's criteria mentioned in their blog post 3.5 Design Blogpost #7: Trimming the Fat")

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm hoping someone from PMDT, a representative of PMDT, or someone who understand's their mindset and design philosophy can thoroughly outline how they intend on studying this action and deciding what to do, or what not to do, about it.

To reiterate, if you're frame perfect & certain characters, there's a huge reward. If you're too many frames late, a competent player should be able to take your stock. These actions give a slight to moderate positional advantage to the player (depending on the match up).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sounds situational and not that useful. Also probably already known. No point in being vague about something. If it's going to be removed it's going to be removed. If no one uses it ever there isn't really a difference unless you plan on winning a giant tournament with it. I'm willing to venture though that no such tech exists that would allow anyone to breach skill gaps.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
inb4 it's just dacus

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Hard to give an answer without knowing what it is or what effects it has. If it's mechanically interesting, adds strategic depth, and enjoyable, keep it. If it's shallow, degenerate, and harmful to the game, get rid of it.

Bleck

Smash Master
my uncle works for the PMDT and he says that it's not being removed

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
If you use this tech on stream pmdt will get to know off it. If you don't use this tech, it might as well not be there.
Being vague about tech is dumb.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Doctors hate him! Click here to find out this one easy secret to longer wavedashes!

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
The reason I'm posting this is because I'm hoping someone from PMDT, a representative of PMDT, or someone who understand's their mindset and design philosophy can thoroughly outline how they intend on studying this action and deciding what to do, or what not to do, about it.
So wait lemme get this straight

You're posting this hoping that someone can explain to you how they're going to study something that is completely undefined and unspecified, and what they're going to do about this thing that you're not telling them about.

Something tells me that this was not quite thought through completely.

What they're probably going to do is look at it and say, "Yeah that's just DACUS."

Otherwise they're going to look at it and playtest it and have discussions with other members about its possible usages, if it is overpowered, if it has merit within the game, and if it requires adjustments, and will likely make and test adjustments before making a decision and releasing any changes in the next patch.

Note, however, that both of these things require them to actually know what the **** you're talking about

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
With this much information, I don't think many people in the PMDT will know what you're talking about.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Oh shi-

Someone else knows about the thing that does the stuff?
Dude, the thing totally changes the matchup against the character.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
perfect wavelanding on platforms is already known with ganondorf and bowser

Wyill

Smash Rookie
Alright then boys, we gotta kill him, he found out about wavedashing.

Narpas_sword

OP created his account, posted this, and hasnt been on since.
Id say just let the topic die till the OP returns.

As it is it's just clickbait and not worth paying attention to.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Even if for nothing else, at least this was interesting as a posed hypothetical situation. If a new tech could potentially be seen as toxic or polarizing, the discoverer(s) would have to weigh the risks/rewards of coming out with the tech, versus the rewards of using a tech noone has seen before or knows how to deal with. People may figure it out over time, but if it did have such tight inputs, the resulting actions may be hard to interpret and recreate.

Here's to hoping that this actually exists hehe. Something completely new and universal would make rounds for PM meta, whether it ends up in frequent neutral interactions or has some niche hype uses like multishine pressure, SWD, platform cancelled aerials... I'm willing to set up camp here lol. Nothing to lose from a bit of wishing.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
OP created his account, posted this, and hasnt been on since.
Id say just let the topic die till the OP returns.

As it is it's just clickbait and not worth paying attention to.
The pmdt killed him because he found the secret tech they coded in so they could win paragon

Bazkip

Smash Master
If it is a new tech. I vote it gets named this.
Since you didn't specify any part of his post in particular I can only assume you want the tech to be named "This thread gave me serious blueballs" in it's entirety, or TTGMSB for short.
Can't wait to grind out frame-perfect TTGMSBs

Top Bottom